As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civil Forfeiture is the Lamest thing ever

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    I don't know, my gut tells me that if you can prove a certain gun was used in a crime, and you know it belongs to Bob, then that gun now belongs to the state regardless of whether or not Bob can be found guilty. I think that's the general idea here.

Agreed.

Well shit, wouldn't you have to go to court to prove it in the first place? Or at least get a warrant that says "Hey, this dude is doing something illegal and we want to prosecute him, but we need the evidence before he deletes it" rather than "shit this house looks good, let's see what phat lewt we can steal from them and get our bureau some cash flow."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't know, my gut tells me that if you can prove a certain gun was used in a crime, and you know it belongs to Bob, then that gun now belongs to the state regardless of whether or not Bob can be found guilty. I think that's the general idea here.

Agreed.

Well shit, wouldn't you have to go to court to prove it in the first place? Or at least get a warrant that says "Hey, this dude is doing something illegal and we want to prosecute him, but we need the evidence before he deletes it" rather than "shit this house looks good, let's see what phat lewt we can steal from them and get our bureau some cash flow."

Yes, I think that you should have to prove it in a court of law.

Doc on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Agreed.

I'm with Doc on this one.

It's really easy to start changing the rules and assuming that everyone is guilty before they're even charged.

Then again, I'm in the "Better 1,000 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to prison" camp.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    I think the idea of civil forfeiture is fine - ie the feds take your drug profits. The problem is the application which in this case is the burden of proof. It would be reasonable after a criminal conviction to allow civil forfeiture using the civil burden of proof.

The reverse burden without a conviction is simply appalling.

Taking goods as the spoils of crime is fine, but you (should?) have to prove that they were obtained through or used to commit crime. Guy files a $10,000 tax return and gets busted with a kilo of cocaine on a speed boat? Fine, take the boat and his Ferrari too. Another guy gets busted with a kilo of cocaine, but doesn't show any unusual assets for his reported income? Fuck off, he's likely a mule.

I'd be happy if the process could only start after a conviction and would be fine with a lower burden of proof since the conviction already took place.

Medo can correct me if I have this ass-backwards, but here's what I see as reasonable in American terms.

Buddy gets convicted of possession with intent to distribute (or whatever it's called) and the state meets a burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt" which means the judge/jury has to be pretty sure. After the conviction, the state goes after the dealers assets and the judge can take the Ferrari "on a preponderance of evidence" which is more of a "seems that way to me" standard.

The current "prove you're not a criminal" strikes me as completely unconstitutional, but I'm certainly not an expert in these matters.

Kildy, if the sofa and recliner have been in the same living room for long enough together, wouldn't they be considered to be married?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Agreed.

What they do is take your cash, and say to you "You let us keep this cash, or we will file drug charges against you," or "You give us this gun, or we will file gun charges against you." Even if they don't have the evidence to prosecute those charges.

I wish I was making this up.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    an_alt wrote: »

I'd be happy if the process could only start after a conviction and would be fine with a lower burden of proof since the conviction already took place.

Medo can correct me if I have this ass-backwards, but here's what I see as reasonable in American terms.

Buddy gets convicted of possession with intent to distribute (or whatever it's called) and the state meets a burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt" which means the judge/jury has to be pretty sure. After the conviction, the state goes after the dealers assets and the judge can take the Ferrari "on a preponderance of evidence" which is more of a "seems that way to me" standard.

The current "prove you're not a criminal" strikes me as completely unconstitutional, but I'm certainly not an expert in these matters.

Kildy, if the sofa and recliner have been in the same living room for long enough together, wouldn't they be considered to be married?

This is pretty much how it works, only there is no need to get a conviction first. So basically they take your shit at a much lower burden of proof.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Agreed.

What they do is take your cash, and say to you "You let us keep this cash, or we will file drug charges against you," or "You give us this gun, or we will file gun charges against you." Even if they don't have the evidence to prosecute those charges.

I wish I was making this up.

I know; it sucks as-is.

Doc on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    This will continue until people realize that the Democratic and Republican parties do not serve their interests in the least. Instead people argue over two shit sandwiches in McCain and Obama. My shit sandwich is better! No... mine is! I think this country is finally dying.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This will continue until people realize that the Democratic and Republican parties do not serve their interests in the least. Instead people argue over two shit sandwiches in McCain and Obama. My shit sandwich is better! No... mine is! I think this country is finally dying.

And your going to ...... bitch about it on the internet and then vote Barr?

shryke on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Rondroid or Naderite?

Tach on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

Do you have any constructive solutions beyond "this country sucks!!"?

Medopine on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shryke wrote: »

And your going to ...... bitch about it on the internet and then vote Barr?

Barr's a comprimiser! He's gonna pitch-fork the old lady at the voting booth.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I get all my opinions from South Park!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rondriods are at least crazy, which explains their poor judgement.

Naderites are just stupid.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Advice on fighting the FBI? Uhh... good luck?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, no.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You mentioned upholding the original meaning of the constitution. Do you think McCain or Obama plans to do this?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, Rondroid then?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You mentioned upholding the original meaning of the constitution. Do you think McCain or Obama plans to do this?

I sure do

I also expect the President, as the head of the executive branch, to hold some sway on how the FBI operates

Not to mention the appointment of judges that are more likely to uphold search and seizure rules

Not to mention working with Congress to pass laws that restrain this kind of practice

I mean uh....they're both shit sandwiches that plan on tearing up the Constitution and starting a dictatorship/nuclear war as soon as taking office

Medopine on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

There is no sacred "original meaning" of the constitution.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought the original meaning of the Constitution was that the US was supposed to fight Muslims.

And Nazis too maybe.

Islamo-Commie-Nazi-Facists?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They aren't going to tear up anything. They just aren't going to change anything. And who the hell said anything about dicatorship or nuclear war?

You guys spend most of the thread railing against improper procedure specifically prohibited in the Constitution and then vehemently disagree with someone who suggest that maybe the answer isn't within one of the two parties that have allowed this exact situation to occur.

Are you paying attention?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    I thought the original meaning of the Constitution was that the US was supposed to fight Muslims.

And Nazis too maybe.

Islamo-Commie-Nazi-Facists?

No no no. It is obviously set up to create a Christian nation. That is why it is replete with references to God.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They aren't going to tear up anything. They just aren't going to change anything. And who the hell said anything about dicatorship or nuclear war?

Oh did you want to have a rational discourse? I'm sorry, I couldn't tell that from your posts.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Please continue the snide condecension. It helps in rational discussions.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If you have a constructive idea as to what citizens of this nation can to do to prevent the type of behavior in the OP from happening, I'd love to hear it.

If your answer is: "nothing this sucks" then I think we can be done here.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You guys spend most of the thread railing against improper procedure specifically prohibited in the Constitution and then vehemently disagree with someone who suggest that maybe the answer isn't within one of the two parties that have allowed this exact situation to occur.

Are you paying attention?
    What makes you think that Obama won't be against this nor appoint judges who are against this?

Couscous on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Please continue the snide condecension. It helps in rational discussions.

Maybe if you offered something, y'know... rational, for us to discuss?

Tach on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    He made it in Chicago politics.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    o_O

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    He made it in Chicago politics.

Association fallacy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

Agreed.

I'm with Doc on this one.

It's really easy to start changing the rules and assuming that everyone is guilty before they're even charged.

Then again, I'm in the "Better 1,000 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to prison" camp.
    I think somehow you all failed to read what I wrote.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tach,

I just edited my post with a pretty rational question. Would you care to answer it? Clinton and Bush both expanded an absurd war on drugs and terror while restricting civil liberties in this country. You think this will somehow change in this election with McCain or Obama. Why do you believe in either candidate? The parties haven't changed in a very long time.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes, Obama is obviously the same as Clinton. Yup. Everybody in a party is homogeneous and believes the same things.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tach,

I just edited my post with a pretty rational question. Would you care to answer it? Clinton and Bush both expanded an absurd war on drugs and terror while restricting civil liberties in this country. You think this will somehow change in this election with McCain or Obama. Why do you believe in either candidate? The parties haven't changed in a very long time.

Do you know anything specific about either candidate or are you dismissing them out of hand due to their association with a party you don't like?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think somehow you all failed to read what I wrote.

I'm in agreement that if you can prove that a piece of property was actually commissioned in a crime, it doesn't matter if you can make charges stick to the person or not; that property is forfeit. I just think that a critical step is actually proving that the property was used/related to the crime, and not just seizing it indefinitely without any real recourse.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah ok so you read it. But anyway I was addressing the idea of having to charge property with a crime, which everyone poo-pooed earlier.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I haven't followed their careers in depth, but I have outlined the policies of each remaining candidate off of their political survey answers on votesmart. I disagree with both of them on 9 issues each that are generally related to the party stance. So no, I don't think they stray much from their parties. The only thing I can see different about McCain is his stance on climate change, which I don't agree with.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I assume they did not have a warrant as he is still "under suspicion" and has not been charged with anything. This happened a few months ago so presumably he is not going to be charged. They just charged all of his and his dad's stuff with a crime and walked off with it. (Oh, and got him fired to boot)

The way it usually works is a search warrant is served, the evidence is considered by the law enforcement organization, and the decision is made whether to issue an arrest warrant.

Especially when it comes to computer crime, don't expect a couple months to be indicative of a done deal. It takes time to sift through evidence, and if he's eventually charged it could easily be over a year before everything is said and done, even if he ends up pleading out before a trial.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wait, what is thread about?

Yar on