As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Euro 4E IC] Living on the Edge

SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex SinterklasicusMadrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
Prologue

It has been three years since the Spellplague. Three years since not just the world, but the universe, the planes, all changed forever. Three years of chaos, war, death and madness. For some reason, and noone is sure why yet, magic as was known for aeons has died. The effects were inconcievable. Parts of the world seemed to have broken off and fall into nothingness, or perhaps upon the Underdark. In other places, the Underdark now lies on the surface of the world, with all the madness, evil and chaos contained within now only restrained by their lightblindness and the destruction of nearly all they own, for Drow gear was not made to ever see the sun. Rumors of a lost continent have started to spread among some parts of the world.

Many people died directly when the Spellplague touched them, turning to ash. More died in the wars that followed when the whole world realized that the balance of power was totally destroyed. Those that relied on physical strength more then magic found themselves conquesting armies, while those whose magic had protected them for centuries found themselves in hand to hand combat. Hordes of Orcs and Hobgoblins are feared now more then ever.

Cults and Religions have sprung up, blaming this on everything imagineable. Some blaim the Gods, Shar, Lolth in particular. Some say Myshra is responsible herself, who else but the Godess of magic could do such destruction. Others blame the Demons and Devils, spreading the word that the Blood War may have been won and the victor has set their sights on the whole world instead. And what about Tiamat, could the mother of all evil dragons have been plotting this for centuries, in some grand design not visible to the world. Some curse society itself, blaming sinful ways as a reason for the Gods to punish those who do not heed their words.

The sudden disappearance of magic, of land, and the wars have wrecked the economy. Food is scarce in some regions, simply because all the farms that supplied the region no longer exist. Other regions are nearly completely untouched. Why this is so, noone knows.

But a strange thing has happened. While the wizards who whizzed about the planes were left unable to cast as much as a magic missile, many people, young people in particular, now seem to have minor magic aided skills. Freshly trained ranger shoot arrows faster then battlehardened elves of old. A new generation of wizards is on the rise, wielding magic differently, and some of the old magii, those whose minds are still open to new things, are picking this new knack up too. It seems as though the absence of the Weave, as wizards have begun calling it only recently, has opened up magic for all potentially. So it seems that the new generation will shape the world as it turns into a new era, for better or for worse.

Background
The Spellplague is described from hindsight here and is basicly the FR lore reset to allow for 4th edition. However, by the looks of it, most FR material will be set 100 years after, when everything is settled. This seemed to me like skipping through a lot of the fun bits. Or more accurately, interesting times. Feel free to read the 100 year perspective, but at this time, some things, like the true cause of the plague (The death of Myshra) are not known yet. You can give yourself whatever background you desire, the story will Deus Ex you together in Chapter One.

IC thread rules
This thread will contain plot hooks, character backgrounds, and after the first session, RP room between characters and whatever place they are in currently. Spoiler any OOC comments. Until Chapter I is up (Which will contain how your party came to meet, and will supply a bit of "getting to know each other" RP) just post a background. I'm aiming for wednesday for C1.

OOC Link

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
SanderJK on

• learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Najhann was raised by his mother alone. They lived in relative comfort until her passing, when Najhann was forced to find a job with a dealer of wares. He spent most of his time there reading the books which passed through, kindling in him a great love for the past. He would often hear of great wars occuring in distant lands which he longed to be a part of. He especially wanted to lead a battalion of men into battle against a magnificent adversary; a dream which he still holds.

On the day of his 15th birthday he signed up for a band of local mercenaries. Though any real action was few and far between, Najhann enjoyed the camaraderie. Due to slow business, the group disbanded and the thought of a real adventure with companions is swimming in Najhann's head.

learntofly on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Youngest son of the esteemed Goldclock engineering family, Winstons earliest years were spent travelling between many cities and watching his parents repairing and maintaining of some of the greatest mechanical marvels in the land. He was given over to a small dwarf chapter of Moradin at the age of twelve, after shaming his family by breaking something terribly important entrusted to their care.

Trained as a guardian, he was released on a holy quest to find the lost Throne of Thork Lur (an artifact only spoken of in childrens tales) after a series of improbable misfortunes gave him the reputation of being "extremely bad luck". Has solemnly sworn to complete the task or die trying, leaving the mountain fortress that is all he has known since he was a youngling. The task may be difficult to begin, but Moradin will surely guide one who has faith in the right direction.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My first memory is one of terror; screams of pain and madness; collapsing tunnels; friends rendered into monstrosities; and throughout it all the searing blue flame. If it lasted minuets, hours, or even days I have no idea, time had no meaning in the horror. My next clear memory was of a wrenching sensation and the brilliant light of day burning through what was once a wall.

Into the light I ran praying for a respite to whatever god would listen. I had thought my prayers were answered as I eventually stumbled onto a small town untouched by the ravages of the blue flame. However they took my true self for a monstrosity and drove me out. If only they knew the monstrosities I had seen.

I would not make the mistake of honesty again, and took the shape you see now. Since then I have wandered making a living how I might. Constantly moving, always fearing the return of what we now call the Spellplague.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OOC
    It turned into a bit of a monologue, but ah well. The idea is that between now and friday you get to socialize at the fort. Ask around, and the residents may answer. See if there's some friends to make. Don't start any fights if you can help it.

Chapter I: We're not in Kansas anymore

Suddenly, there's an overwhelming blue glow, and the world has gone silent. The light is so bright it completely blinds you, and is there even when you close your eyes. Then a tingling sensation. A feeling like you are being dragged. Again, the tingling sensation. Still the bright light, and the absolute silence. Then suddenly sounds. Still can't see anything, but now you hear the sounds of confused people. A dwarf yells "What be the meaning of this!" A child cries, a panicky woman asks "Where am I!?!". Above you, and somewhat in the distance, you hear the sounds of people scrambling, then bows being pulled.

An adolescent voice yells "Sergeant, Sergeant, come, another wave has come." You hear a door open, and someone cursing in a manner that would make sailors blush.

Your eyes start to clear a bit, and you see yourself surrounded by people looking and acting confused. While you can't see faces yet, or details, you appear to be in a wooden fort of some sort. Bowmen are up on top of the towers. Two things you notice immediately: Most forts don't have defenses that face inwards as well as outwards, and you don't know any with a seperating wall in the courtyard either.

You hear a rather overweight man climb some stairs, and a reddish face appears above the wall near you. The man holds up his hand, making a stop sign, and coughs.

"Ok, ok, ok. First of all... FIRST OF ALL... We did not bring you here. In fact, noone really did." Muttering erupts in the courtyard, people looking more confused then ever. "Let me speak, let me speak, let me explain!" A man behind you yells "Where are we! Why are you pointing bows at us! I'm no crook!". The man on the palisade sighs. "Listen! You are here because of a teleportation spell gone horribly horribly wrong. And "here" is Duskfield fort, if that's what you wanted to know. And that's near the town of Brookford, in Chondath. Well it used to be in Chondath, anyway. Nowadays..... Look behind you, and up please."

The man must have a certain natural charisma, because despite the panic in everyone eyes, everyone does as he says. And what you see is... unsettling. You see about 3 miles of pure sheer cliff. Unlike any mountains you have ever seen, this is just a gigantic wall of earth and stone, with bits of grass growing on it at spots, but nothing else. It seems to be about 5 miles away. Gasps and mutters run around the crowd.

"Yeah."

"You all know about the Spellplague, although in your region, it may have been named differently. The absence of the Weave. The end of magic. The vengeance of the Gods. The goddamn apocalypse. Well guess what it did over here. It tore into the earth, split it right in the middle, and we were sliding down. Luckily for us, there is, or used to be, a wizards academy about 3 miles to the south of here. Well it's still there... sort of. Anyway, there were earthquakes, and then we were just sliding..... not that fast mind you, not falling.... and the wizards academy was looking like a fireworks display you'd never seen before, like they were holding a magical battle.... and all of sudden, we were surrounded by wizards. This was just a normal fort back. They said that something was wrong, magic was all wrong, they did not know what was going on, but they were going to do two things to try and save us all...."

"First they were going to stop the fall, by casting a gigantic force wall. They didn't know if it'd last, or how big they could make it, even with all of them..... Said they'd safe what they could. And they were gonna make a teleport circle to get us out, and they were going to do it here. So they asked us, that'd be the military, to round up all the folks from the farms, from the town, and bring'em here...."

And we did. And after a while, we stopped, and the people cheered. The wizards showed up, looking bleak, tired, and to this day I think there were fewer of them then earlier in the day. They cleared the spot, right where you were standing, but one of my men heard them say "We have to send them far away, we can't teleport to the capital and risk them falling into another chasm". And they started casting, a whole bunch of them, in a circle. A few collapsed, the youngest and the eldest, but they kept casting, and then they stopped. They said "in here... hurry hurry we got it". And sure enough, anyone who entered the plaza disappeared. But then a storm rolled passed..... a weird snapping noise, and the damnest thing happened... the people came back, and the wizards all got hit by some sort of lightning. It was a massacre, all of them fried to ash."

"At first we thought we were safe, if stuck. All the people that were teleported were ok, although all said they ended up somewhere else...But then.... more people came through, people we never sent. About a hundred the first day, then it slowed down...... but it has never stopped."

"Three years and it has never stopped. And we're still stuck. Can't climb the wall, because there's this wind, this storm. Can't even fly, even with magic, you get swepped away, and those who have tried, we never see them again. As far as we know, noone made it out."

"So we have our little bit of the world. About 8 miles across, 20 miles wide. 2 rivers, huge waterfalls at either end split it in 3 bits. We're in the middle one. The western one is pretty wild, dark forest, all manner of nastyness, kobolds and wolves the least of it. Not all that go there come back. The eastern one is pretty empty. Not as good farm ground, to much rock. Some of the dwarves, and I see two of you there, have gone there, said they felt more at home. Been digging a lot. Maybe they're trying to dig out of here, but they're not a talkative lot. Good metalworkers though, and we trade our food for their crafts. We got one town, a mile to the east of here, and a bunch of farms around it. We got water and food, enough wood to build stuff... We're doing ok actually... as long as the force field holds."

"And then there's there Academy... what's left of it. It's floatin about half a mile away from solid ground, in the middle of nothing. No bridge, and those same damn winds. If someone is alive in there, there's no sign of it."

"Now here's the deal. We ask what you can do. If you can farm, we sent ya to a farm. If you can weave, we see if we have stuff to weave. If you can bash a mans head in, you can perhaps join us, if you can take orders as well. If you wish to not help us, fine, but then we won't help ya either."

"Stand down men, these don't look much like criminals or monsters to me.... well except that Drow there, but even he isn't so foolish as to start a fight in a military fort. Funny how this teleporter works, can really drag in some trash sometimes.... I remember when it brought a damn Orc champion.... took 10 arrows to kill it, brought down 3 civilians before we could, and took weeks to clean up the blood. Let's not have to repeat that, shall we." Now, come inside here, orderly, we have some broth, some tea, and you can tell us where you come from. We got time, we're not going anywhere, and if you are smart, neither are you."

SanderJK on
    edited June 2008
    Just to clarify I'm currently using the form of a young average looking human male, it'll be my default look.

*winces* Damn Spellplague, will it never be done with me? Is there anyone around here that has any idea how we might get out of here?

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You're hardly the first to ask that lad, most things have been tried by now. But our options are limited. We have no access to any teleportation magic. Climbing or flying out seems not to work, tunnelling takes a mighty long time. And even if the strongest of the strong can make it out, we're still stuck and moving in new people. We could try to get some outside help, perhaps from the capital, or from them new wizard types I've been hearing about from the newcomers.... heard the world changed quite a bit while we've been here. Maybe there's something in the tower to help us, but how do you get there?

The other problem is, we have little knowledge of what's above on the cliff. We never see anything moving up there, but all the refugees are from far away lands. Think it has something to do with the distance of the original spell. All we here is the vaguest of rumors, of more places hit like this, of a new King, of Orcs hordes. But we have no way of knowing what's true and what's old wives tales.

SanderJK on
    edited June 2008
    Winston stood silently staring up at the wall, oblivious to the people around him. After a while he brought a steel clad fist up to his forehead, and struck it against his helmet with a crash. Blinking a few times, he drew a small emblem out from beneath his beard and squeezed it briefly as he turned and trotted over to the sergeant.

"I Don't suppose you'd happen to have any thrones or beer around these parts? I like to do my thinking and drinking at the same time if possible."

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited June 2008
    Well we do have alcohol, but we limit it.... to many newcomers become drunkards if you let them, and to be frank, we can't support such people at the moment. Our brewers are still learning, so it's hardly fit for noblemen yet, but maybe you are right. Let's go to the barracks, I'll get you a mug, a drink and a bench. If you want a throne, you'll have to chisel it yourself, or get one from the dwarfhold.

SanderJK on
    edited June 2008
    Looking noticeably relieved at the mention of alcohol, Winston scratches his beard and grins sheepishly.

"Ah never mind the first one. I was afeared ye might have none of the second at all in this little kingdom. The dwarven stomach was not designed to go for long periods without a little brew now and then. Thankyou for your hospitality, a sit down and a little something would be most welcome."

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited June 2008
    There's got to be some way out of here. What ever spell is keeping us up can't last for ever, and even if it could how long can this patch of land support a constant stream of people?

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Well right now digging ourselves out seems the best bet, or at least the only one that doesn't appear to rely on help from outside, or abilities we don't have. To dig 3 miles upwards....not an easy thing to do. But ye can ask the dwarves, see what they're up to. Unless you have an even better idea.

But let's talk business here. Most of the people who came in today are sorted now, being farm hands, craftsmen and the lot. But you lot, you don't seem to have much applicable skills.... and you seem to be armed. What is it exactly that you do for a living?

SanderJK on
    edited June 2008
    Odd jobs mostly. Problem solving and the like.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Bows low, with a scrape of plates and creak of leather.

"Winston Goldclock, servant of Moradin. I do the All-Fathers work, with my back, my hands, my shield and hammer.

This man speaks true, this situation cannot last forever. However, I do not believe I was brought here for no reason. I am at your disposal until such time as my god calls me elsewhere."

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm gonna have to put up a background later, I've been kinda swamped at work (crunch testing time)
    "Hmph." muttering under his breath about reason in an age of insanity as he pulls his hood further over his face, Phage finally spoke up.
    "What I mostly do is hunt the followers of Orcus as the Raven Queen desires. I find more than enough in these times.
    I don't suppose you have had a particular problem with the risen dead around here?"

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited June 2008
    Odd jobs eh. Only know two kind of people who claim that line of work....criminals and "adventurers." If you do happen to be the former, let me just warn you about the law around here...the law here is pretty much a man. You dwarf, you'd get along with him, he's a servant of Bahamut... and when a Dragonborn in platemail and wearing a huge mace on his back tells you to play nice... most people start playing nice real fast. So just to be sure, stay out of trouble and I won't have to introduce any of you lot to Caldo.

If you do are adventurers, well it beats criminals for sure, though some say they create half the trouble they solve. But at least your pretty selfsufficient lot... I may have a deal for ya. As I told the whole bunch of newcomers...you do stuff for us, and we do stuff for us. Now don't expect to battle hydra's... luckily we haven't got anything of the sort here. Oh, and as far as I know, no hordes of skeletons or vampires either.

What we do have, is carts going out into the countryside. Bring stuff to the farms, take stuff back. Eggs and grain, cloth that sort of thing. Now normally, we send a soldier or two along with them, but with all the new arrivals we're pretty busy. And because the cart moves pretty slow, if anything out there decides it likes the food, chances are it can't outrun it, so having someone there to fend off troublemakers and wildlife, it helps a lot. Since you are new, i'm going to make it easy on ya. All 5 of ya, go with one of drivers who scheduled to visit the northwestern route. Now while that is the most rugged area, it's still farmland, so I don't think you should have to fear a lot. A wolf or two, maybe some critters from the forest beyond the river. Shouldn't be anything you can't handle. In return, i'll arrange for a weeks worth of food and boarding. Gives us all some time to see what we're worth to each other.
    Against common sense, Orcus is not the god the of the orcs, but some plotting supreme devil. Gruumsh is the Orc god.

SanderJK on
    edited June 2008
    Scene 1-2: Of carts, kobolds, canned dwarves and zombie dwarves

This a recap for the players that missed what happened, and those that want to read what happened

In the end, only Phage, Winston and Tshar agreed to travel with the cart. First stop was farmer Ed's house, but while they travelled close to the cliff (To avoid the sandpath through the forest, with the risks of getting stuck after the rains earlier) they stumbled upon some feeding kobolds. The kobolds were smarter then the party thought though, and had a rock slide trap setup, manned by 2 minions high up top. Phage managed to dodge the worst of it as he got hit though, And the rest of the party managed to avoid them all together. After a lot of long range shooting and throwing with little effect, as well as a lot of trash talking by the kobolds, the party closed the distance to kobolds and slew them. Before the kobolds croaked, they managed to give out 2 pieces of information: Apparently there's a priestess to report to, and they begged something or someone named Hubbaz to take revenge. A shield crudely painted to resemble a lizard or dragon was also found.
    Then there was the kobolds food, which was a farmhand named Jon. He held a note asking the fort for help, but obviously never got there. So the party swiftly departed towards Ed.

At Ed's place they found a wooden farm and barn, grain fields and a scared farmer. They informed him of the death of Jon, and the farmer informed them of someone or something smashing stuff up in the cellar, but not coming out. Something armed and armored apparently. After noticing it's rather weird to have a cellar with feet thick stone walls, but all the rest of your property out of wood, the party went in, and stumbled upon an dwarven zombie wielding a greataxe, as well as a helmet and chainmail. Two other dwarven zombies were in the room as well, though not nearly as well dressed. After a tough fight, which saw the badass zombie knock Tshar unconscious with a single blow, eventually the zombie fell apart before the party ran out of steam. After some exploring and legendary bad sneaking by Winston, they found a tomb linked to the cellar. It appears it wasn't really a cellar at all, but a burial chamber with an ante chamber, confiscated by farmer Ed's father for storage. They found some jewelry, as well as a tapestry depicting a battle. Apparently Winston's knowledge on the subject of Dwarf vs Orc warfare is great indeed, because he recognized it immediately, and provided some excellent information:
    The Dwarves and orcs fought many battles, and this looks to be depicting a resounding dwarven victory. The orcs have red and black painted on their face, so this must be fanatics of Gruumsh. Fiercest of all orcs, whichever dwarf defeated them must’ve been of high standing, and remembered in song. A jewel encrusted copper helmet on the lead dwarf, the paint of Gruumsh on the orcs, and a if I’m not mistaken that’s a greystout banner. This must be the battle of the Rango delta, where Lud Greystout drove the Fanatics of Gruumsh straight into the river, drowning 3 for every 1 they slew.

The party is still at farmers Ed place currently, taking a breather after taking down the zombie of a dwarven hero, talking about how such a zombie could come alive, and what actions to take after they finish the cart trip. They also examined the possessions of the zombie.

SanderJK on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Short but sweet backstory and hopefully a reason for joining the party, feel free to change if it causes problems!

Eugene Spellreaver was born Eugene Weaver and before the Spellplague seemed destined for a boring life inheriting the family business. When his life collapsed around him and he was the only member of his family to survive the devastation of his home town he thought his life was over. However during his time as a refugee he discovered that he seemed to have a strange power flowing through him that was not there before, he was one of the lucky recipients of the new wilder magic that seemed to be heading out into the world. He attempted to re-invent himself in the new heroic persona of 'Vizadrix Spellreaver' but found he had to drop back to his given name as he was always forgetting to respond to peoples call, that and he could never decide on the spelling.

Having been picked up by the crazy teleport of Duskfield a few months back he has been lieing low in the local community. However in these fresh settings he sees the opportunity for a new start and has been secretly putting together the gaudiest robes imaginable in preparation for his planned heroic emergence.

He had been out practicing his spells and epic catchphrases in the woods nearby when he sensed bad magic going down in Farmer Ed's and has gone to investigate.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And now for some melodrama:

Phage Wurrdā's
    last memory of his late unlamented people is of a flash of purple light followed by an earthquake that destroyed most of the section of the Underdark he was in. Since he had expected the flash of light to be followed by the stab of a sacrificial dagger, he considered being buried alive an improvement, if only a minor one.
    As fate would have it though, Phage was not to die that day, instead clawing his way out of the vast pit that had once been his home, he made it to the surface to be greeted by a raven which seemed to be illuminated by moonlight, despite the otherwise moonless night.

Taking this to be a sign, Phage set his life on a new path, seeking to destroy the undead abominations he was due to join on that fateful night in the underdark according to the commandments of the Raven Queen, any loyalty he might have felt to Lolth long since crushed along with his would-be murderers.
    Traveling by night, Phage followed his new destiny wherever it took him, honing his skills against lone zombie rotters and anyone else unlucky/stupid enough to be out at night pretending to be one of the undead.
    He never stayed long around those towns...

Then he found the shrine to the Raven Queen. Out in the middle of a disused field and centred on an odd circular depression in the soil, the shrine looked almost as though someone had cut the top off a proper temple and planted it here instead of the crops. It was as Phage was reaching out to touch the icon of the Raven atop the spire-like construction that he found himself in Duskfield, surrounded by all manner of other creatures....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited June 2008
    Back in the present:

Winston stood beside what was left of Lud Greystout, his usually cheerful and open face replaced with a sombre frown. Bending down he picked up the great axe lying beside the fallen warrior, and lifted it to the light, running his fingertips across the intricate pattern of folded metals sweeping across its blade. Without taking his eyes off the mighty weapon he broke the silence.

"This will be travelling with me until it finds its way back to its family. An heirloom like this needs to be taken to somebody who can bring out the strength of his ancestors from it in battle, before its power fades completely."

Turning to Farmer Ed, he fixed him with a steely glare before continuing:

"This tapestry is a work of art, and a historical artifact of my people. All I ask in return for my part in resolving this situation is that you look after it. If I find out it has been damaged or lost in your care I will be most cross with you."

Sweeping a hand out across the tomb, Winston continued to monologue unrelentingly:

"It is a shame that the sanctity of this place was destroyed by some evil unknown, but at least Lud has finally found his peace in a place where no such things as these can follow."
    Yoink! :D

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited June 2008
    Background: On the town Brookford

The town of brookford was originally little more then a market square with temples, a few granaries, a butcher, a baker and a mill. Fewer then 500 people lived there, almost all directly involved with business of shipping grains and foodstuffs from the surrounding countryside upriver to the larger cities. It saw more wizards then usual, due to the academy 3 miles south, but for the most part the wizards kept to themselves, which suited the townsmen just fine. A small military fort to the west provided protection and trade.

This of course, was all before the Sundering. When the land slided down, the river realigned themselves and must have split somewhere upstream and above the cliff, creating two huge waterfalls, northeast and northwest of the town, and the river no longer flows through the town at all, instead running more or less straight south about 3 miles east and 4 west.

One of the first arrivals after the accident was Caldo D'alradlagc, a servant of Bahamut. He has become the Sheriff and defacto Mayor of the town, although there have been no elections, instead it has just been earned by natural leadership and charisma. With nearly 2000 souls in Brookford now, the town has had to expand, and with little but manpower Caldo has overseen this. New arrivals were put to work building barracks so all had a roof over their head, and today these barracks hold straw beds for arrivals, until permanent residence can be provided and earned. With stories from the beasts from the western forest becoming bolder, he also has had a dry moat and palisade dug, and being a Paladin of Bahamut, he has also had a temple built to praise bahamut and pray for assistance.

Caldo is fair, but gruff, and with a strong sense of righteousness. He protects the weak, but has little sympathy for the lazy or mischievous, and as a result, some of the more dubious inhabitants have opted to not live in town anymore, but instead try their own luck, mostly in the eastlands, which are relatively quiet and unhabited.

Most races are represented in the new Brookford, as the teleporter does not seem to care much who it brings over. The exception is the dwarves, who inspected the lands after the first arrived, and once their presence built up over time, concluded that they were better of trying to dig out, or at least make a stronghold in the stable, nonmagically supported rock so they were not at the whim of magic for their survival. While they don't speak much on their progress, they have been lately trading stone blocks for building, as well as rudimentary iron tools they crafted themselves, for food and alcohol.

For now the town is relatively well off, but there is ever unease about the situation. Will the spell last, will the teleportation ever stop. What is going on in the westland forests, which seem to ever grow darker. Why has there been noone at all to apparently check out where the town once was, no sign of government assistance.

SanderJK on
    edited July 2008
    With Eugene sick and apparently under quarantine, the other four have set off towards the Dwarf Hold. On the way they encountered some outlaws, and while they convinced some of them to go back to town, others didn't care to listen to anything but swinging blades. Once dealt with, they met up with Kelk Strongbeard, overseer of the dwarf dig, situated next to the waterfall. They drove a hard bargain regarding the price of stone for Draco's plan to build an outpost next to the west river bridge, and afterwards, the dwarf has invited them for a drink or two.

Kelk Underbeard: "So, welcome to our project.... as you can see, the initial area has been mason'd to a high degree, smooth floors, straight pillars, square rooms, all a Dwarf needs. Now, we only really have two flavors of drink at the moment, water and beer. What will it be?"

SanderJK on
    edited July 2008
    As Winston explodes into uproarious laughter, Kelk's stern expression cracks ever so slightly and a grin begins to break through. Winston straightens up, wiping the tears from his eyes.

"Did you make that up just now? Its an absolute classic. This is a much more impressive place than I was expecting, How many dwarves have you got here?"

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited July 2008
    We're up to about 4 dozen of us..... the first 5 of us arrived a little over 2 years ago mind. Progress was good in the early days. Nowadays, I spent most of time on logistics and solving problems, instead of digging.

SanderJK on
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of digging, do you have any idea how long it might take to dig up to the surface? assuming the mud problem can be solved that is.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg