As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OM NOM]Dawn of War 2: FUCKING TYRANID GAMEPLAY MOVIE!

• Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I would like the other two races to be Tau and Tyranids

But I know I am alone in this

No you're not alone. I love the Tau with a burning passion k. :winky:

Niqle on
  • Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tyranids=Massive horde, with some big godzilla-creatures thrown in.

I'm guessing that this is going to use the same setup racewise as DoW. They've got to have a balance between humans and Xenos, and I think Eldar have a higher appeal to people that don't play the game than say, Necrons would. Tau are kind of similar, they need lots of fluff to back them up. Eldar, meanwhile, are pretty straightforward. After all, even though 'Elves in space' is a dumb way to describe them, it's at least halfway accurate. You can't sum Tau or 'Crons up as effectively. Tyranids would be possible, but I've got a feeling that they'd seem too much like a ripoff of the Zerg (even though it's the other way around), especially considering the release date.

Also, I think my favorite thing about the screenshots is the Assault marine jetpacks. That's exactly how jetpacks should look.

Oh Tau are easy to describe, COMMUNISM IN SPACE!!!!!!!!

But seriously this game will be awesome no matter what army they decide to put in, my vote is the nids and a mixed Chaos army because that sounds great.

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm guessing that this is going to use the same setup racewise as DoW.

I'm guessing not. Either Eldar or Chaos will be taken out for the Tyranids. They'll be in DoW2, mark my words. The reason they've added other races to Dawn of War that weren't the Tyranids (seriously, Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle?) is because they said the DoW1 engine couldn't do them justice. And here we are, with Dawn of War 2.
    It'll have Tyranids. Mark my words.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So how about no tau? Cause fuck tau.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It had better have Tyranids. Otherwise certain members of the "community" will be rather upset and make lots of noise.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    So, baseless speculation at the other races! My guess is Chaos (just to easy not to put chaos in when you have space marines) and......Tyranids. They said they wouldn't put them in the original engine because it wouldn't do them justice, maybe they can handle it now. Failing that I'd hope to see Imperial Guard.
    Fuck your IG.

Boy I am going to take you out back and shoot you if you don't stop bitching

You are such a girl
    Oh, I could go on and on and use special correcter-than-Camen math and everything, but I've done that a lot and it's always stupid.

But what I was saying is that there's plenty of better armies than IG. Like Eldar or Necron or any of them.

Necron are shit. They are the most boring army in existence and their fluff means they did virtually everything, which just makes them worse.

I still stand by the current two confirmed races, Chaos Daemons and Tyranids for DoW 2. Tyranids more than anything as they truly deserve their "go". Just as long as they are well implemented that is.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    It had better have Tyranids. Otherwise certain members of the "community" will be rather upset and make lots of noise.

Just like women and the Sisters of Battle, tyranids have no place in the Dawn of War universe because they were never mentioned in past games so if they put tyranids in, I'm going to be so mad. Relic would be ruining their franchise.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, wait, wait, wait. What's all this shit talk about Eldar? You know what DoW would be without Eldar? A shitty, pointless game.

Edit: And yes, necrons suck and yet they're still far better than IG.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Lies.

The only thing I hope for in DoW2, is that Relic don't crap what looks to be a terrific game up with an abortion of an expansion that throws the baby out with the bathwater, aka Winter Assault the game. Everything I've read they've really nailed it, I just hope they stick to their guns and not listen to the whinging morons*.

*WAHHHHHH I CAN'T BUILD A BASE. WAHHHH I CAN'T SPAM TANKS AND MEN EVERYWHERE.

ETC.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Myth in space? Fuck yes.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hey guys let's hope they put in IG

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    hey guys let's hope they put in IG

IG armed only with plasma.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Lies.

The only thing I hope for in DoW2, is that Relic don't crap what looks to be a terrific game up with an abortion of an expansion that throws the baby out with the bathwater, aka Winter Assault the game. Everything I've read they've really nailed it, I just hope they stick to their guns and not listen to the whinging morons*.

ETC.
    No, really, fuck IG. It's not even the plasma or HWT, it's that they're boring. They're a cartoonish WW2 army and that's pretty boring. Yes, normal people fighting huge monsters and stuff, woo, but then they have huge, costly tanks for some reason. Maybe if each guy got something to help them not die so much instead of a huge, silly tank, they'd be able to do anything but die. That, and plasma.

Also, that's single player. I'd almost bet that multiplayer has bases like normal.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd almost bet that multiplayer has bases like normal.

Not that I know of. You can fortify buildings (eg CoH as an example), but bases are not implemented into the game at all as far as anyone knows. The whole thing actually has a very distinctly tabletop feel to it, with Cities of Death as well thrown in.

This is a very GOOD thing.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd almost bet that multiplayer has bases like normal.
    Not that I know of. You can fortify buildings (eg CoH as an example), but bases are not implemented into the game at all as far as anyone knows. The whole thing actually has a very distinctly tabletop feel to it, with Cities of Death as well thrown in.

This is a very GOOD thing.
    Yes. The single player is, since that's all they've talked about.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be hugely disappointed if they had base building in multiplayer. It would be such a massive step backwards.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I hope they don't have bases. But then I also hoped that harlequins would be useful and look how that turned out. I'm also hoping for more customizable armies, too, but that won't happen either.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'd be hugely disappointed if they had base building in multiplayer. It would be such a massive step backwards.

How can you say that? Starcraft has base building and it's the best and deepest RTS around.

Now, if they had base building and also implemented real tactics like flanking and scouting unlike any Relic RTS so far, maybe they'd get close to a Blizzard RTS, but probably not.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    stabbystabby Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After reading "no base building," I immediately thought of Ground Control 2. It has strategic points that create resources, and new units enter the game via dropships and various contested landing zones. It worked pretty well. Now hopefully the four races create enough gameplay diversity in terms of the types of strategies they can pull off without being too unbalanced.

stabby on
  • Options
    GruffGruff Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lies.

ETC.
    No, really, fuck IG. It's not even the plasma or HWT, it's that they're boring. They're a cartoonish WW2 army and that's pretty boring. Yes, normal people fighting huge monsters and stuff, woo, but then they have huge, costly tanks for some reason. Maybe if each guy got something to help them not die so much instead of a huge, silly tank, they'd be able to do anything but die. That, and plasma.

Also, that's single player. I'd almost bet that multiplayer has bases like normal.

WW2-ish armies are boring but elf armies aren't?

Does not compute.

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I agree with Gruff, when I first started getting into 40K I found the IG alot more attractive then the Eldar. WW2ish is pretty awesome IMO, bitches don't know about my Basilisk.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Everyone knows that the commissar's ability to execute his one of his own men to increase morale is the best thing

Bugman on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gruff wrote: »
    Lies.

ETC.
    No, really, fuck IG. It's not even the plasma or HWT, it's that they're boring. They're a cartoonish WW1 army and that's pretty boring. Yes, normal people fighting huge monsters and stuff, woo, but then they have huge, costly tanks for some reason. Maybe if each guy got something to help them not die so much instead of a huge, silly tank, they'd be able to do anything but die. That, and plasma.

Does not compute.

He's just sour that IG can ruin his rangers without too much trouble.

And that his units can actually be killed by plasma.

EDIT: Also fixed Goomb's WW mixup.

WW1 tactics =/= WW2 tactics. Ask Montgomery. He should know. See: El Alamein.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goomba is just sour.

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This is true.

But he is ULTRA-SOUR about this.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    stabby wrote: »
    After reading "no base building," I immediately thought of Ground Control 2. It has strategic points that create resources, and new units enter the game via dropships and various contested landing zones. It worked pretty well. Now hopefully the four races create enough gameplay diversity in terms of the types of strategies they can pull off without being too unbalanced.

The first Ground Control worked better.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Gruff wrote: »
    Lies.

ETC.
    No, really, fuck IG. It's not even the plasma or HWT, it's that they're boring. They're a cartoonish WW1 army and that's pretty boring. Yes, normal people fighting huge monsters and stuff, woo, but then they have huge, costly tanks for some reason. Maybe if each guy got something to help them not die so much instead of a huge, silly tank, they'd be able to do anything but die. That, and plasma.

Does not compute.

He's just sour that IG can ruin his rangers without too much trouble.

And that his units can actually be killed by plasma.

EDIT: Also fixed Goomb's WW mixup.

WW1 tactics =/= WW2 tactics. Ask Montgomery. He should know. See: El Alamein.
    You know what can ruin my rangers without too much trouble? Any race that has anyone playing that's not retarded. It's pretty simple.

And Eldar aren't really all that much like elves but they look and act like them on the surface so why not!

Edit: Wait, WW1 tactics? Tanks were the focus of WW1? I must have missed something there.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sourpuss

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't played the TT game since 3rd edition I think but eldar = elves was a pretty straight translation, they had higher movement and lower toughness just like the elves in the warhammer fantasy game plus the aspect warriors are kind of elf fluffy..

that being said I would be sad to not see eldar in the intial DoW release because the army is awesome and just has so much character

Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, Tyranids is what I'm hoping for..

glad to see this thread and people actually caring about this game.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    *kersnippersnip*

Edit: Wait, WW1 tactics? Tanks were the focus of WW1? I must have missed something there.

According to the fluff...

IG uses trenches a lot. A LOT.

And really, you're just sour because IG can kill your rangers without any problems. Drop that anywhere scan thing and goodbye rangers.

Or those turrets.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    *kersnippersnip*

According to the fluff...

IG uses trenches a lot. A LOT.

And really, you're just sour because IG can kill your rangers without any problems. Drop that anywhere scan thing and goodbye rangers.

Or those turrets.
    They also use tanks a lot. A LOT. I'll admit that it's a mix, but it's in no way WW1.

And do I need to go through how to kill rangers with each race? I'd rather not, but I will if you're going to act like IG have it so much easier than anyone else.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah rangers and goomba pretty much suck.

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey, hey, this is a thread about DoW2. Not a thread to whine about IG or anything so shut the fuck up about it.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    EDIT: NEVERMIND.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Hey, hey, this is a thread about DoW2. Not a thread to whine about IG or anything so shut the fuck up about it.
    They started it whent hey said Eldar were worse than IG. :(

So I hope DoW2 is like GC only WH40k with Eldar.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I don't give a shit who is or isn't in it, I just want me some assault terminators with lightning claws.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

So I hope DoW2 is like GC only WH40k with Fuck it any race.

Agreed.

Also goomba angst more like dark eldar.

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I don't give a shit who is or isn't in it, I just want me some assault terminators with lightning claws.
    Yeah well I hope they cut SM. I hope they cut them right out and no humans or anything are in the game and screw your dumb ol' lightning claws.

All I really want is a troupe of harlequins. Just one. That's all I really ever wanted.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah well I hope they cut SM. I hope they cut them right out and no humans or anything are in the game and screw your dumb ol' lightning claws.

All I really want is a troupe of harlequins. Just one. That's all I really ever wanted.

And because you desire it, it shall NEVER happen!

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

And because you desire it, it shall NEVER happen!

That or the IG will sweep in with plasma and tanks and obliterate his Harlequin out of spite.

Niqle on