As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can you blow up tanks without getting any kills added to your count?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    UberEv wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Man....

(act 3)
    Is the tailing mission really random or something, because this time is completely and utterly 200% different from my first runthrough of the game. The guy also seems to be batshit fucking crazy this time, but that's another story altogether

reply to act 3...
    I think there are times he's at-risk for capture, so those times probably depend on the ai routines for the PMCs, who I doubt are 'scripted' to anything beyond patrolling certain areas. It might be a roll of the dice whether or not they happen to look at the guy when he's vulnerable, etc. I think that aside from those variables he walks the same route.
    Really? Because I swear the guy just walked miles around really weird parts of the city that I totally didn't go last time

Fuck, and jesus how do I even do this on hard. There's patrols every 2 seconds.
    If you are going lethal, Silenced M4 can kill everything in your path without alerting. When you get to the vehicle checkpoints, use Mr. Railgun. If you don't have the railgun though, that may be a problem. That's how I did it on extreme anyway.
    I was trying to go non-lethal... Geeze this is 100x harder than on normal, which is weird because everything else was pretty much pie until this

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No you cannot kill people piloting a tank with out it counting as a kill.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No you cannot kill people piloting a tank with out it counting as a kill.

I assumed as much, but I figured it was worth confirming.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The bullshit thing about this game is plenty of times you'll go into Alert, get into an area where there's no one around, and your Alert counter won't move at all.

That's some bullshit right there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    any minor hints/tips on fighting
    vamp?

i can kill him (m4 with shotty, or anything) or take out all his psyche (stun knife), but since he's vamp there is no effect

i want to CQC him and use the syringe, but i cant pin him down with cqc

am i on the right track?

xta on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    xta wrote: »
    vamp?

i can kill him (m4 with shotty, or anything) or take out all his psyche (stun knife), but since he's vamp there is no effect

am i on the right track?

Only one thing to do..
    Old Snake wrote:
    SUNLIGHT!!

Oh yeah you know what I'm talking about.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The bullshit thing about this game is plenty of times you'll go into Alert, get into an area where there's no one around, and your Alert counter won't move at all.

That's some bullshit right there.

It means that someone knew where you went. Your enemy has to lose track of you, not just break eye contact, for the counter to start. That's why you can't just jump inside a cardbaord box after being seen.

You know what was really bullshit, was in my Extrem Game Over if Detected run of MGS2, I'd empty a room down to only one guard, shoot him in the head, and he'd catch me before the bullet got to him. I mean come on.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    xta wrote: »
    vamp?

am i on the right track?
    Kill him, run up to him, and CQC him as he's reviving himself. Then inject 'im.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    thanks, it works

i was misusing CQC (by tapping R1 instead of holding it down)

xta on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    On the subject of that bossfight,
    Does killing him add to your kill count?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On the subject of that bossfight,
    Does killing him add to your kill count?

Nope.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wait so is it even possible to get any kills in Act 4?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Crying Wolf and the PMCs during her boss fight are the only ones I think.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    He's adorable though.
    After all the killing on the lake, his eyes dart to the left to check Snake is watching and when hes running towards Haven after escaping his Ray and the whole Fox...DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE thing. He's nothing if not likable as a villain. Hes just happy to live up Big Brothers ideals, not knowing the reasoning behind those ideals.

I'm just saying,
    unlike Big Boss, Ocelot, or Solidus, Liquid's not actually a good guy. He wants to destroy the Patriots, but only so that he can take his place.
    Tell me you didn't like him running away, turning and laughing like its a big game after escaping from Ray after their battle. That redeems him for anything you may consider villainous.
    Yeah...up until he tries to run his brother over with a giant ship.

Niqle on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Old Snake wrote:
    SUNLIGHT!!

I love it. And the Tanegashima (sp?).

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    Crying Wolf and the PMCs during her boss fight are the only ones I think.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that segment.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Old Snake wrote:
    SUNLIGHT!!

I love it. And the Tanegashima (sp?).

I used the Tane on some FROGS for giggles. It was awesome.

Niqle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So where is this Javelin thing I see people talking about sometimes? Is it a bonus unlockable or what?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got it really late in the game on my first run through.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't even remember finding the Javelin, all I know is that I have it. Awkward..

Niqle on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it I remember getting the Javelin in the room full of gecko and scarabs on the conveyor belt in act IV.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I remember getting the javelin in act 2

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So prior to release I read in a preview or something about the Tanageshima, and about how it'll pretty much wipe an area clean with a cyclone or somethin'. However, now when I'm playing it seems to do pretty much nothing. I read the viewer information for it, and it says something along the lines of 'legend says in certain places it can summon a divine wind'. So I have to think it'll be an awesome area-clearing weapon, but only in certain areas.

Um... what areas are those? 'Cause I haven't found any (not that I tried much).

As for the Javelin - I don't know where you find it, but it's an anti-tank missile launcher. It doesn't lock on, but it fucks up tanks and APCs pretty good.

What I want to know (aside from the Tanageshima thing) is where the hell is the single-shot grenade launcher? When you purchase stun grenades from Drebin you see it in the weapons that the ammo can be used with - but I've never found it. Has anyone else?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got it in Act I. When the tank shows up before you meet the B&Bs for the first time, look up and left after you get behind the tank. There's a guy with a Javelin up there and in the taller building behind him, there's a sniper with an M14. Climb up the building with the sniper, liberate his rifle, pop the guy with the Javelin, and then do the running roll onto the shorter building where the Javelin guy was.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So where is this Javelin thing I see people talking about sometimes? Is it a bonus unlockable or what?

I got it in the guerilla camp in act 2. I used it to kill gekko my first time through, it kills them in one hit!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Okay so I just beat Laughing Beauty in my no-kills run. Over the course of the fight I shot some of her missiles and they exploded over a tranq'd FROG and killed her. That doesn't count as a kill for me, does it?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What statues you get in one playthrough will carry through to the next right? Because in this playthrough I'm getting the beauties' statues, but I didn't get the frog one. I'm going to grab that next game. I'll still get the solar gun right?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    I got it in Act I. When the tank shows up before you meet the B&Bs for the first time, look up and left after you get behind the tank. There's a guy with a Javelin up there and in the taller building behind him, there's a sniper with an M14. Climb up the building with the sniper, liberate his rifle, pop the guy with the Javelin, and then do the running roll onto the shorter building where the Javelin guy was.
    There's another one in that area too, just sitting in a corner on top of a building with another sniper.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    God, fuck that door in Act 5.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for a first run, should I do Solid Normal or crank it up a bit and try Big Boss? I've just now summoned the energy to get into this game, as deep as it seems.

I was really great at MGS1, did fine with 2, and had a pretty tough time with 3.

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Okay so I just beat Laughing Beauty in my no-kills run. Over the course of the fight I shot some of her missiles and they exploded over a tranq'd FROG and killed her. That doesn't count as a kill for me, does it?

A good question. It wouldn't surprise me it if it was yes, but I can't say for sure. I highly advise keeping a pre-fight save handy - you only have... 1... 3 more 'sections' in that act to go through, so it wouldn't be a huge hassle to have to go back if it counts as a kill.

Aside from the 'say hello to my little friend!' factor, why would you wanna' use a rocket launcher on her? For my money the quickest method is...
    use the Rail Gun fully charged for headshots when she's hiding and doesn't move, and switch to the Barrett .50 cal when she tries shooting at you, using an uzi/M4 for her little explodie-seeker things.
    It's not as impressive as a missile launcher but it does allow you to keep the ambient destruction to a minimum.

Chance on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wordsworth wrote: »
    So for a first run, should I do Solid Normal or crank it up a bit and try Big Boss? I've just now summoned the energy to get into this game, as deep as it seems.

I was really great at MGS1, did fine with 2, and had a pretty tough time with 3.
    I'm finding solid normal to be very, very easy and wishing I'd started on Big Boss.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2008

If you're anything like me, you'll play through MGS4 multiple times (I'm on 5 now). For the first one, I always just play to win. Use rations, get alerts, kill guys, whatever gets the job done. Once I'm familiar with certain areas/events, then it's time to show these jokers what Snake's made of by not killing anyone on the hardest difficulty with no rations (which, sadly enough, I couldn't achieve thanks to a horrendous sequence I tried around 45 times - no joke).

So hit that Solid Normal like it ain't no thang. You'll have fun, enjoy the story, and only get frustrated at one boss fight towards the end of Act IV.

Chance on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God, fuck that door in Act 5.

Just us a smoke grenade.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The best comparison I can give is that I played Halo 3 solo on legendary when it first came out. Some parts were absolute torture but I enjoyed the challenge.

I'm thinking Big Boss Hard is the only way to go, simply because it's there.

edit: ha, actually it's funny, halo on legendary is hardly a bastion of difficulty to anyone that's played the entire megaman catalogue. Things are getting easier

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The best comparison I can give is that I played Halo 3 solo on legendary when it first came out. Some parts were absolute torture but I enjoyed the challenge.

I'm thinking Big Boss Hard is the only way to go, simply because it's there.

edit: ha, actually it's funny, halo on legendary is hardly a bastion of difficulty to anyone that's played the entire megaman catalogue. Things are getting easier

BB Hard is probably your best route then. Also worth noting, you unlock a higher difficulty, The Boss Extreme, after beating the game once.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Big Boss Hard is my favorite difficulty so far.

I started with Solid Normal on my first playthrough and that felt right. But for subsequent playthroughs I've enjoyed BBHard the most.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got official permission from the misses to buy a PS3 today :D

what fucking sucks is I can't find the 80gig MSS PS3 anywhere. EB was sold out of all PS3s period, HMV was out, Sony Store said they are not expecting anymore from Sony ever and that they have customers who paid for them and still haven't gotten them (wtf sony store?!?), Best Buy is out and it's been taken off of their Website! and Futureshop is out as well, and The Source (radioshack) said they might get more in mid July.

what the hell??

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just finished Act II of my BB Hard no kills/no alerts run. Now for Act 3. Motorcycle chase. D:

After this, a nice relaxing easy playthrough to grab some more emblems, like the Assassin one, then no kills/alerts/continues/healing on Extreme, and then a formal BB Emblem run.

And then I'll probably not touch the one player for like two years.

Speed Racer on