As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    So,what exactly is the point of the Live Action videos when starting a new game?

I get the second videos,they are commercials for the PMCs but what the hell is up with the game show/interview? The hosts are completely nuts.

I think they're supposed to represent how the War Economy has affected things, like the media. Hence, things like the "Bomb Shelter Buffet".

Igort on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    So,what exactly is the point of the Live Action videos when starting a new game?

I get the second videos,they are commercials for the PMCs but what the hell is up with the game show/interview? The hosts are completely nuts.

I think they're supposed to represent how the War Economy has affected things, like the media. Hence, things like the "Bomb Shelter Buffet".

Well I thought that at first but look at the Interview with David Hayter. The female host is...really really freaky. She doesn't let him end one sentence and she just talks in a really crazy way. I thought she might be a computer program or something.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought that was just a reference to MGS3.

Also, they better have Hayters voice for snake.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got the feeling that the Celebrity Morality segment was to suggest how nano-machines started masking truthful conversation (case in point, la-li-lu-le-lo). So in the mgsverse no one can really talk about the war the way WE talk about the war in the media.

That's just my take on it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Well I thought that at first but look at the Interview with David Hayter. The female host is...really really freaky. She doesn't let him end one sentence and she just talks in a really crazy way. I thought she might be a computer program or something.

Who knows? I'd love to discuss this more as I'd like to see what more people think. A couple of them are definitely meant to represent how the War Economy has affected things. But the Interview with David Hayter one is just odd. And the Octopus one is obviously just for the Octocamo.

Igort on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    They're very Robocop. Dystopian adverts that we wouldn't accept but people in that world likely would at that point.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I also really dig the jingles of the PMCs during the game.
    All shooting people in the back and then playing a little jingle how they should hire Praying Mantis.

And the Octocamo ad is pretty great actually.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    Italax wrote: »
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Haha, Italax you show off.

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

So it could be good or bad.

Equilibrium has several utterly badass CQC-like scenes. At one point Christian Bale breaks a guy's fingers in the trigger guard of his assault rifle.

Ultraviolet really was quite terrible on every level though, so it could go either way.

Exactly. It's Bales performance in that film that makes me think he could pull off Snake, what with Gun Kata being so similar to CQC.

I also just wanted to clarify that the guy who made Equilibrium is literally "the writer and maybe director" for the MGS Movie. I worded it kind of weird in that post there.
    I think Kurt Russel would have been the perfect person to play snake when he was younger.
    From what I understand Hideo Kojima himself has openly stated that he based the Solid Snake character on Kurt Russel in Escape from N.Y. and Escape from L.A. And also there are a bunch of small references (Snake in MGS2 anyone?).
    But since that would not really be possible anymore (Kurt Russel is sadly getting too old) Im not really sure who I would like for snake. IMO Christian Bale has a way too long and skinny face for Snake (there is a word Im looking for that explains it better but I must be having some sort of mental blackout so I only know it in swedish)

Hideo Kojima has openly admitted that Snake Plissken was the basis for Solid Snake.

Hideo Kojima also expressed interest in Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Viggo Mortensen for Snake. But he also went on to say he thinks Mortensen may be a little too old.

I should say, though, that Gun Kata isn't what instantly made me take notice when I saw that Wimmer was attached. Gun Kata was cool and all, but I was thinking more of the scenes in the film where Bale goes purely hand-to-hand, like that part where some goons surprise him in his apartment. I recall some kind of pistol-whipping fight, too.

The irony, though, is that if what you say is true then it doesn't bode well for the project. Wimmer can clearly direct some astonishing action sequences, but he falls down pretty hard at the writing part (both Equilibrium and Ultraviolet had pretty stupid stories that were riddled with plot holes).

Cue everyone falling over themselves to tell me how faithful that would be to the source material :lol:. (I love MGS both despite and because of its absurdities. It's complicated).

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Have you considered that, with a young actor and good choreography it won't really matter who is best suited to do "CQC".

I think there are other more important factors when filling out the role of Snake....

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the best bit from the "Bomb Shelter Buffet" is at the end of the segment they are preparing to cut the snake's head off and the chef is like "this is the final chapter for this snake" and cut to the game intro proper. Although I guess I should watch them all at some point (didn't realize I could change the channel on my first play through).

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Who knows? I'd love to discuss this more as I'd like to see what more people think. A couple of them are definitely meant to represent how the War Economy has affected things. But the Interview with David Hayter one is just odd. And the Octopus one is obviously just for the Octocamo.
    They confused me at first too, but on subsequent playthroughs I think they're supposed to be showing off the implementation of the S3 plan. The hosts are manipulating their audiences in the same way that The Colonel manipulated Raiden.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I don't have MGS4 yet, but I can't get over this abbreviation I found at GameStop on a Strategy Guide:

mgs4.jpg

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF PAT

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you watch these things? Do they only show up when you start a new game?

Renzo on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's right.

Well, that and the PMC commercials sometimes come up if you let the title screen sit for long enough.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's right.

Well, that and the PMC commercials sometimes come up if you let the title screen sit for long enough.

So I'd have to start a new game a bunch of times if I wanted to watch all of the shows. I already saw the workout/supplement video. Crazy shit.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The workout one is the only one I haven't seen I'm pretty sure.

But yeah you've got to start a new game if you wanna watch 'em.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure if you let the Snake intro play out on the mainmenu, it restarts with those adverts. But I hink you only have control during the initial start up. Just keep starting a new game, I have watched them all pretty much in only a few gos.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's right.

So I'd have to start a new game a bunch of times if I wanted to watch all of the shows. I already saw the workout/supplement video. Crazy shit.

Supposedly all the commercials and shows are on the Limited Edition Blu Ray disc (according to the Kojima Productions podcast) in full HD resolution (they had to cut back the resolution to allow for the channel switching feature).

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's right.

Supposedly all the commercials and shows are on the Limited Edition Blu Ray disc (according to the Kojima Productions podcast) in full HD resolution (they had to cut back the resolution to allow for the channel switching feature).

Power of CELL, Blu-Ray blablablalbla...

Still some really crazy stuff,I didn't expect any live action in MGS4.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think it's to drive home the idea that the soldiers in MGS see war as something that's detached from reality.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's right.

They have all of 'em, except for the Documentary style one where the guys talk about an Octopus. However, it still shows the PMC commercial that plays after that one.

Igort on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it too late to keep talking about a live-action MGS?

Clearly, Sean Connery needs to play Ocelot.
    2478579668_6fb4408593_o.jpg
    (Spoilered in case it is too sexy for work)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

man what the FUCK

Kreutz on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What are you talking about? LO shoots these little slow moving missile things and he said he shot one and killed a frog on accident. He wasn't using a missile launcher, dummy!
    D'oh! My reading not so good is.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

man what the FUCK

I think love is blooming on the battlefield as we speak.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it's to drive home the idea that the soldiers in MGS see war as something that's detached from reality.

I think the commercials are about romanticizing war/combat - making it look so elegant and cool. While the Bunker Cooking and Workout TV show segments are trying to suggest how living in a combat zone or training like a solider (to eventually become a solider) have become standard cultural norms (holy obvious, Badman!). The Game Show clearly ties into it - the Hayter interview and Octopus stuff not so much.

But yeah - I think 'detached from reality' is a good way to describe the PMC commercials.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »

I think the commercials are about romanticizing war/combat - making it look so elegant and cool. While the Bunker Cooking and Workout TV show segments are trying to suggest how living in a combat zone or training like a solider (to eventually become a solider) have become standard cultural norms (holy obvious, Badman!). The Game Show clearly ties into it - the Hayter interview and Octopus stuff not so much.

But yeah - I think 'detached from reality' is a good way to describe the PMC commercials.

the Octopus one and the Hayter one are to introduct you to the tech that is in the game more than anything.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Haha, Italax you show off.

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

So it could be good or bad.

Equilibrium has several utterly badass CQC-like scenes. At one point Christian Bale breaks a guy's fingers in the trigger guard of his assault rifle.

Ultraviolet really was quite terrible on every level though, so it could go either way.

Exactly. It's Bales performance in that film that makes me think he could pull off Snake, what with Gun Kata being so similar to CQC.

I also just wanted to clarify that the guy who made Equilibrium is literally "the writer and maybe director" for the MGS Movie. I worded it kind of weird in that post there.
    I think Kurt Russel would have been the perfect person to play snake when he was younger.
    From what I understand Hideo Kojima himself has openly stated that he based the Solid Snake character on Kurt Russel in Escape from N.Y. and Escape from L.A. And also there are a bunch of small references (Snake in MGS2 anyone?).
    But since that would not really be possible anymore (Kurt Russel is sadly getting too old) Im not really sure who I would like for snake. IMO Christian Bale has a way too long and skinny face for Snake (there is a word Im looking for that explains it better but I must be having some sort of mental blackout so I only know it in swedish)

Hideo Kojima has openly admitted that Snake Plissken was the basis for Solid Snake.

Hideo Kojima also expressed interest in Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Viggo Mortensen for Snake. But he also went on to say he thinks Mortensen may be a little too old.

I should say, though, that Gun Kata isn't what instantly made me take notice when I saw that Wimmer was attached. Gun Kata was cool and all, but I was thinking more of the scenes in the film where Bale goes purely hand-to-hand, like that part where some goons surprise him in his apartment. I recall some kind of pistol-whipping fight, too.

The irony, though, is that if what you say is true then it doesn't bode well for the project. Wimmer can clearly direct some astonishing action sequences, but he falls down pretty hard at the writing part (both Equilibrium and Ultraviolet had pretty stupid stories that were riddled with plot holes).

Cue everyone falling over themselves to tell me how faithful that would be to the source material :lol:. (I love MGS both despite and because of its absurdities. It's complicated).

I loved Equilibrium, and hated Ultraviolet (who didn't?), but I think Wimmer would pretty much be the perfect choice of an MGS movie. He's good at directing stylish action, and I honestly don't think he's a bad writer (again, as I enjoyed everything about Equilibrium)....I just don't understand at all what happened with Ultraviolet (although I do blame the studio for fucking up the action sequences by forcing PG-14 cuts of everything)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I went and picked this up last night. Future shop gift cards ftw.

Anyways, MGS was one of my favorite games on the ps1. I played it a ton, and loved it. MGS2 was the first game I got for my brand new ps2, I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first. I played MGS3 for about an hour and hated it. I hated the camera, and it made me not want to play the game. So one of the reasons I didn't get MGS4 right away was I was afraid it would have the same problems. But I'm happy to say it doesn't. I find the control has been significantly streamlined, and far less frustrating. I'm really enjoying it so far, although I still find the combat to be a bit clumsy, but not game breaking.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    JayrodTremonkiJayrodTremonki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I went and picked this up last night. Future shop gift cards ftw.

Anyways, MGS was one of my favorite games on the ps1. I played it a ton, and loved it. MGS2 was the first game I got for my brand new ps2, I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first. I played MGS3 for about an hour and hated it. I hated the camera, and it made me not want to play the game. So one of the reasons I didn't get MGS4 right away was I was afraid it would have the same problems. But I'm happy to say it doesn't. I find the control has been significantly streamlined, and far less frustrating. I'm really enjoying it so far, although I still find the combat to be a bit clumsy, but not game breaking.

Did you at least get to the bridge scene? I set MGS3 down for about 3 months until someone told me I had to get to the bridge scene ...then it spurned me on to beat the game in a day or two.

JayrodTremonki on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hahaha that is awesome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yah my friend lent me Snake Eater way back when it was first released and after he beat it. I tried it out didn't really like it so much mostly due to camera + jungle made it hard to see. I later got the MGS collection because I had heard the camera angle had been improved. Once you get past the slow beginning the game becomes quite fun with some of the best MGS bosses. And the ending is quite awesome.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Yah my friend lent me Snake Eater way back when it was first released and after he beat it. I tried it out didn't really like it so much mostly due to camera + jungle made it hard to see. I later got the MGS collection because I had heard the camera angle had been improved. Once you get past the slow beginning the game becomes quite fun with some of the best MGS bosses. And the ending is quite awesome.
    For all the things MGS4 does better, I still "like" MGS3 more. I'll acknowledge that MGS4 is a more intelligently-made game, but the story and gameplay in MGS3 just strike a way better balance in 3. I loved the jungle gimmick even when I first saw it, and the 1960s spy flick vibe it puts out caters so well to the sense of camp that MGS games always have (yet fall kind of flat in the whole grim, slaves-to-technology future thing the other games have going on). The story's just so well-paced, and they had the perfect discretion to decide which parts of the game could ignore realism entirely for the sake of creating something more fun--boss fights, namely.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really agree Blitz. This is what I initially felt after MGS4, but I wanted to see how I felt after completing the game a few times.

After now doing that, I still like MGS3 more. But that's not to say that I didn't like MGS4, because I loved it. So many gameplay elements, especially combat, are so, so much better in MGS4, but MGS3 feels like the overall better game experience to me.

MGS3 also had significantly less to accomplish in terms of plot though, and I believe that it really gets an advantage from this. If MGS4 basically didn't have to go back and explain so much mystery from previous games, as well as progress its own plot, then the pacing would have probably been much smoother. But, it should be noted the mystery that the previous games brought was something that helped make them great.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Its kinda sad noone is really discussing the story. I guess though its because noone really has any questions anymore, it does answer all the loose threads, which si good, but no questions to be asked, which is bad.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Its kinda sad noone is really discussing the story. I guess though its because noone really has any questions anymore, it does answer all the loose threads, which si good, but no questions to be asked, which is bad.
    Here's one (big endgame spoilers)
    If FoxDie kills Big Boss and Solidus is a perfect clone then why didn't the latter die on top of Arsenal Gear. I know it was mutating, but that fast?

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am now in Act 2, baby! So, do they tell you what happened to Raiden and Rose's baby?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If FoxDie kills Big Boss and Solidus is a perfect clone then why didn't the latter die on top of Arsenal Gear. I know it was mutating, but that fast?
    I don't really understand what you're asking. Why didn't the Foxdie in Snake kill Solidus? The Foxdie for assassinating Big Boss wasn't injected until MGS4. Thats what is supressing that old mutating Foxdie in Solid which is going to allow him to live out the rest of his life free as he will likely die before that strain mutates.

If anything, I'm curious how a nanite virus can mutate and look like an organic cell.

So, do they tell you what happened to Raiden and Rose's baby?

Yes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did you miss the part about them injecting snake with a new foxdie? That's the one that killed bb and co.

I swear sometimes I'm playing a different game from the lot of you.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman