As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

nVidia launches GTX280/260

2»

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008
    hey look 9800GTX+ in a month.

Unknown User on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I feel like I went to sleep one day and missed two generations of GPUs.

Why has there been considerably less hype for new GPUs post-8X00 line? I knew a little bit about ATi/AMD's HD3X00 cards, but I had never even heard of the NVidia 9 series until just a couple days ago.

Because it's basically the same chip only slightly faster.

The 7nnn series to the 8nnn series was a complete redesign and so we saw performance basically double. The 8nnn to the 9nnn was basically just them clocking it higher and shrinking the fabrication process.

It's similar to why people got all excited when nVidia was going from the FX series to the 6 series but not so much when they went from 6 to 7.

Daedalus on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The most exciting thing in the 9k series is the 9600GT, in that it has an amazing $/FPS ratio.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nvidia is supposed to drop the price of the 9800GTX to $200 soon. Kinda deflates any momentum that the 4850 had for me.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    fuck, I just bought a watercooled 9800 GTX weeks ago. Is it worth trading up or is my damn card gonna be a piece of shit compared to a GTX 280

..did you actually read any of the reviews posted?

n... no? But I looked at this entire thread and saw of the picture of the fucking new chip and 1.4 billion transistors god damn thats a transitor for 1/6th of the world's population in a single chip.

Can I get a tl;dr?

Is it worth trading up for a GTX 280? I bought the 9800 thinking I was gonna be on the bleeding edge. I want to be good for like the next 4 years.

But... there is one thing that might sway me to the GTX 280 anyway. Does it use less power or run cooler than the 9800 GTX? My idle temperatures for the 9800 are in the 50-68 range. And when playing games it can elevate up to 78 degrees. Not the coolest card on the planet.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In short, its not a major improvement over the 9800GTX.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2008
    But... there is one thing that might sway me to the GTX 280 anyway. Does it use less power or run cooler than the 9800 GTX? My idle temperatures for the 9800 are in the 50-68 range. And when playing games it can elevate up to 78 degrees. Not the coolest card on the planet.

No, it runs hotter. The only thing that makes a more powerful chip run cooler is a process shrink, and the GTX280 is on 65nm, same as the 9800GTX, and has more transistors.

The new 9800GTX+ and the Radeon 48n0 models will be on 55nm and will run cooler.

Daedalus on
    edited June 2008
    I hear the 4850 runs very hot. I have no idea if it's due to fan speed or the single slot cooler.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I hear the 4850 runs very hot. I have no idea if it's due to fan speed or the single slot cooler.

The chip itself runs fairly hot because of the cooler, the amount of total heat it dumps into your case is a good deal lower than the GTX200. Of course, it's a significantly smaller and lower-clocked chip so that's to be expected.

Daedalus on
    edited June 2008
    I dual slot or aftermarket HSF should do nicely then.

I am planning to move to a 1920x1200 screen. I am selling a bunch of computer parts I no longer use to some friends and family members, as well as mulling over the idea of selling my 7900GS and 8800GT. I could pony up for a GTX260 or two of those 9800GTX+'s. I have an Evga 680i A1 collecting dust. Not really sure what to do at this point.

edit:

Forgot to mention that microstuttering that supposedly plagues CF/SLI/Dual GPU systems could play a role in my decision. I have never dicked with either CF or SLI so I have no way to actually see the stutter.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2008
    Is 75 degrees a good temperature for a video card under load? My processor is 45nm so it only gets to about 60 degrees celsius under loads, but I think I've had my video card crash while playing sim city 4 twice, so I got not fucking idea anymore.

And what the hell is this about a 9800 GTX being weaker than the 8800 GTX? Christ. Always getting fucked.

The Man with No Name on
    edited June 2008
    I dual slot or aftermarket HSF should do nicely then.

I am planning to move to a 1920x1200 screen. I am selling a bunch of computer parts I no longer use to some friends and family members, as well as mulling over the idea of selling my 7900GS and 8800GT. I could pony up for a GTX260 or two of those 9800GTX+'s. I have an Evga 680i A1 collecting dust. Not really sure what to do at this point.

edit:

Forgot to mention that microstuttering that supposedly plagues CF/SLI/Dual GPU systems could play a role in my decision. I have never dicked with either CF or SLI so I have no way to actually see the stutter.

You already have a 680i lying around? Just buy another 8800GT, run them in SLI, and save up your money for when you really need to buy a new rig. (the next DirectX standard, PCIe 3.0, Intel's new architecture, whatever).

I mean, that's my advice, but I put off computer upgrades for as long as possible.

Daedalus on
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    You already have a 680i lying around? Just buy another 8800GT, run them in SLI, and save up your money for when you really need to buy a new rig. (the next DirectX standard, PCIe 3.0, Intel's new architecture, whatever).

I mean, that's my advice, but I put off computer upgrades for as long as possible.

That would probably be my best course of action. The only reason I don't use the 680i was some network driver problems and the fact that it couldn't do a 450mhz fsb without jacking up the voltages. There are very few adjustments that I have to make in order for my P35 board to do 450-500mhz.

I think if I clocked my e6750 at 3.2 and ran two 8800GT's with some nice overclocks 1920x1200 shouldn't be too much trouble.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2008
    Also, you may want to wait and see if some 8800GT price drops are coming with the 9800GTX drops, because the new 9800GTX price is a little close to the current 8800GT price.

Daedalus on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, you may want to wait and see if some 8800GT price drops are coming with the 9800GTX drops, because the new 9800GTX price is a little close to the current 8800GT price.

more likely theyre just gonna faze them out

watch for 8800s on ebay or whatnot after the price drop

Dunadan019 on
    edited June 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I very much doubt they'll phase out something that is selling very well.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the ATI 4870 has been benchmarked, and it shows to perform about the same as the GTX 260, when the GTX 260 costs 100 more.

This is starting to feel more and more like the old P4/Athlon 64 wars of the past, nVidia seems to be just trying to make it more powerful and faster, while ATI is trying to make it more powerful and more efficent, and more bang/buck.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whats the fastest Nvidia card I can use with passive cooling? I have a Geforce 7600 at about 55c at load in my case. With the promise of h.264 GPU assisted encoding (link to story) it's time to upgrade, but I don't want any noise.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whats the fastest Nvidia card I can use with passive cooling? I have a Geforce 7600 at about 55c at load in my case. With the promise of h.264 GPU assisted encoding (link to story) it's time to upgrade, but I don't want any noise.

GTX280 with a waterblock can be cooled if you're already doing that. Otherwise 9800GTX I think, but really the new double slot coolers are incredibly quiet.

edit: Some guy using a passive cooler on an 8800GTX, so I assume the 9800 will be similar 9800GTX+ should run cooler too if it's 55nm. http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cooling/181450-thermalright-hr-03-plus-8800gtx-passive.html

Rook on
    edited June 2008

I can't imagine that a $170 8800GT will still be selling very well when the 9800GTX goes for $200.

Daedalus on
    edited June 2008
    Nvidia is releasing a 9800GT as well I believe.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nvidia is releasing a 9800GT as well I believe.

You are the first person who has said that I think. they wouldn't release a new 9 series sku (9800GTX+ nonwithstanding) with a brand new line coming out.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2008
    I just saw on another forum that HP will have them in some of their systems. I also saw a link to an article with the specs. 55nm shrink 50mhz core clock over the 8800GT. I would go digging for them, but I am getting ready to hit they hay. I'll search for them tomorrow.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I take it the 9800 series was a throw away line?

Why did they even bother?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited June 2008

I can't imagine that a $170 8800GT will still be selling very well when the 9800GTX goes for $200.

I doubt they'll continue to sell the 8800GT at $170 for that very reason. Theres one on Newegg for $130 right now in fact.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2008

I'm running the 9800GTX in a passive water cooling loop.

The Man with No Name on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I've never heard the words passive and water cooling in the same sentance before. Can you use heat to make the move in a loop without a pump? If you have a good noiseless cooling system link would be appreciated.

Also, with CUDA (Nvidias GPU accelerated api). Does anything besides number of stream processors and Mhz determine performance?

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
    edited June 2008

I've never heard the words passive and water cooling in the same sentance before. Can you use heat to make the move in a loop without a pump? If you have a good noiseless cooling system link would be appreciated.

Also, with CUDA (Nvidias GPU accelerated api). Does anything besides number of stream processors and Mhz determine performance?

Passive Water cooling implies you use large radiators that are so big you disperse heat through convection. There is still a pump, that carries hot water through the radiators and produces some colder water. But no fans.

This may not be what you want, what you probably want is an entirely motionless system, in which case you might consider just putting your entire computer in an aquarium of super cooling liquid of some sort. You can dunk everything except the harddrive. Good luck. Will be bad ass.

The Man with No Name on
    edited June 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

That contradicts what people were saying earlier.

If the 9800 was just a throwaway, and the geforce 280 isn't much better than the 9800 to be worth buying, then what's left? An 8800? Is the 8800 really better than the 9800? Better that if both were the same price you would choose the 8800 over the 9800?

The way I see it, the 9800 should be the replacement of the 8800.

The Man with No Name on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Passive Water cooling implies you use large radiators that are so big you disperse heat through convection. There is still a pump, that carries hot water through the radiators and produces some colder water. But no fans.

This may not be what you want, what you probably want is an entirely motionless system, in which case you might consider just putting your entire computer in an aquarium of super cooling liquid of some sort. You can dunk everything except the harddrive. Good luck. Will be bad ass.

Cooking oil works.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

That contradicts what people were saying earlier.

If the 9800 was just a throwaway, and the geforce 280 isn't much better than the 9800 to be worth buying, then what's left? An 8800? Is the 8800 really better than the 9800? Better that if both were the same price you would choose the 8800 over the 9800?

The way I see it, the 9800 should be the replacement of the 8800.

Well I didn't mean performance wise, sorry, I meant just the branding of the line.

They could have just called the 9800 an 8900GTX and called it a day. They just jumped a series in a short period of time.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Memory bandwidth can have a pretty significant performance impact for kernels with a low computation:memory use ratio.

Also, the different features available in different generations can impact performance. You can find the full list of differences (as well as the compute capability of every GPU) in the appendices of the CUDA programming guide 2.0. Off the top of my head, G9x cards (which are all compute capability 1.1 to the best of my knowledge) support atomic memory operations, which can greatly simplify and speed up some algorithms (histogramming, for instance). The GT200 (1.3) cards have double the number of registers per multiprocessor, as well as double the maximum thread occupancy per multiprocessor; both of these can lead to better performance provided you use them.

Clipse on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Cooking oil works.

Mineral oil works better. Less smell, less issues. Its the same stuff they use in transformers.

If I had to buy another graphics card and motherboard, it would be a crossfire board and be an ATi Board.
    The 4850's in crossfire are just smoking right now.

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2008
    Mineral oil works better. Less smell, less issues. Its the same stuff they use in transformers.

Transformers, robots in disguise?

The Man with No Name on
    edited June 2008
    A mineral oil cooled computer.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2008
    Someday I'll build a submerged machine. I'll probably use a micro-atx board though.

The Man with No Name on