As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WishWeCouldPlay] Civilization: Revolution

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    it gets much harder to sustain a small niche of specialized cities in the full game, because the ai comes against you unless you give them tech every five or so turns - especially towards the end, when you're close to victory. with the small maps as well it means you can't avoid rubbing shoulders with neighbouring civs, in which case they're even more aggressive. i'm not saying it can't be done, just that even with the easy multipliers on gold / tech (6 X bonus for library + uni / market + bank, plus more from whatever great people and wonders you have) it's a hell of a lot easier to go on the offensive and take cities, since you don't destroy their buildings and there are no improvements to worry about. it's either that or quickly fall behind because you're appeasing all the other nations with free technology every turn

It might just be me, but it seemed like the AI's aggression level was related to how powerful my armies were: when my cities were well defended, the AI seemed much less likely to be aggressive towards me. And the AI attacking you when you're about to win is just good AI (I've noticed that the AI does the same thing on Civilization 4 on the highest difficulty levels).

I will admit that it's more difficult to play a completely pacifist strategy in Civilization Revolution than Civilization 4 (where if anything, the game favors the pacifist), but to be honest, I think that makes for a better game: if everyone's just doing their own thing that makes for a boring multiplayer game. My strategy with Civilization 4 always leaned towards the pacifist/builder side of the spectrum and though it's taken a bit of getting used to the system to adapt such a strategy to Civ Rev, from the look of things, it's still a very viable strategy. Some of the cities I've managed to create in Civ Rev are such sick monstrosities that they make my very best Civ 4 cities pale in comparison and this is in the demo when I've got a time limit: I can only imagine how monstrous your cities could get in the full game.

RainbowDespair on
  • RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, maybe I shall rent it then. I never found workers had to be micromanaged though, just set them on auto-build and get back to building wonders.
    Autobuild tends to do retarded things like placing farms over towns though, and it can interfere with you specializing cities since they will override stuff you've already built in order to do what they want.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
    edited June 2008
    So in the last game I played on the Civ Rev demo, by the time limit, I had a city generating 1200+ gold/turn. I was pumping out rushed wonders left and right. Yeah, I think pacifist strategies are viable in this game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    So, back to the topic of Revolution, is there anyone who has and plays Civilization IV going to pick up Revolution? It's a different enough experience to me to warrant it, so I'll probably pick it up. It's a lot more vibrant and faster paced, and should be a lot of fun online since you can, you know, actually finish a game with friends in an afternoon. :P

I'm a big fan of 4X games, and have played the hell out of Civ4. That said, people should not be looking at Civ Rev to give an accurate representation of the Civ franchise on PC.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Civ Rev. I sorta look at it like Civ 4 Lite however. In Civ Rev a lot is streamlined and automated, and the game on a whole seams to be a lot faster paced. However in this streamlining process, a lot of nuances get lost. I'm sure a lot of old Civ (and SMAC) players remember carefully landscaping their cities early on to PopBoom - this isnt a viable strategy here. In fact, I seam to recall maxing out on cities really quite early in CivRev. It's just one example, but it does show just how different Civ Rev can be.

As RainbowDespair said however, pacifist strategies are possible... they just take a little bit of reworking. That and defense is a LOT more important in this game. Fuck in the old Civs baring the Mongols or something right next to you, you could easily last well into Iron/Gunpowder age with just your original warrior defending your Capital.

I'll still get it so I can nuke my friends tho.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So in the last game I played on the Civ Rev demo, by the time limit, I had a city generating 1200+ gold/turn. I was pumping out rushed wonders left and right. Yeah, I think pacifist strategies are viable in this game.

what difficulty does the demo play on? the full game defaults to chieftan (easiest), in which case, yeah, you can win no matter what you do

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aroduc, the advice you gave me last page rang true.

Last night I played the game, and tried to avoid micro-managing which squares were being harvested and all that jazz. I think the micro-management must've been interfering with me being able to see the big picture last time, because I whupped them handily this time. Thanks! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited June 2008

what difficulty does the demo play on? the full game defaults to chieftan (easiest), in which case, yeah, you can win no matter what you do

The demo only lets you play on the two easiest difficulty levels. I was playing on the second difficulty level when I got my uber-gold city. I got rather lucky though: I was using Egypt, had a great desert-filled location for a city near my starting city, got an early +50% Gold Great Person & a Production Great Person (which I used to make the Colossus), and even got a couple free Settler units from peaceful tribes which I settled in the gold city to get things started even faster.

By the end of the demo, I hadn't gotten into a single fight aside from the odd barbarian. I had 3 cities: my capital (which was my research center), my gold city, and a 3rd throw away city which I got from high culture.

RainbowDespair on
    edited June 2008
    yeah, it's really easy to make super pumped cities on the easier modes, and it sucks that easy is the default. i've played a couple of games now where i was fifteen minutes in and i thought 'shit, difficulty!' - my first ever game had a city up to 1300 good / turn, and the only specific thing i did to make it so was build a bank

anyway i'm definitely going to try to get a real powerhouse city going in the higher levels but i haven't had any luck yet.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008

Last night I played the game, and tried to avoid micro-managing which squares were being harvested and all that jazz. I think the micro-management must've been interfering with me being able to see the big picture last time, because I whupped them handily this time. Thanks! =)

Stick with me, kid. We'll have you on the top of the world in no time.

Aroduc on
    edited June 2008
    don't listen to aroduc! shell up, appease everyone, culture victory! work those great artists

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    The last truly dominating game I played on Emperor was a Culture win. I got lucky with the goodie huts and got a massive swarm of quechuas and managed to seize pretty much the workforce of the entire continent, which turned that BS AI advantage into a really nice boost for me. That, plus I started near Marble (2 squares outside my cap's radius, but off in the fucking antartic hinterlands, so I didn't want to build to grab it) and had Stone by my third city. Then I managed to snag the Apostolic and Sistene by not having to worry about my military, so it was just coasting from there.

I think the other continents were both involved in some kind of horrible horrible gigantic wars that kept them pretty stunted.

Aroduc on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the trick to higher levels of difficulty is to get the AI to use their ridiculous advantages against each other, rather than you. Also, agreeing to go to war for the +common enemy, but not actually fighting.

If you want to pick up some really good pointers, I'd suggest reading Sulla's playthroughs where he does a really good job explaining the thought process you should be going through. He was one of the playtesters for civ4, and really knows his stuff.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

Stick with me, kid. We'll have you on the top of the world in no time.

Woot! =)

VThornheart on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, uh...is there anyone actually playing CIV these days? I finally managed to hunt down one of the few remaining retail copies of Beyond the Sword after my previous copy was...misplaced...and dammit, I want to talk about how awesome it is now that I can play it again.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited June 2008
    Yep. I just finished a game of Civ 4 today actually. Emperor, Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind), space victory in 1935. I was on a pretty big long continent with the French. Got some pretty good city spots early on then I used a boat to grab a city spot in the artic on the opposite side of the French for lots of good resources (Gold, Fur, Marble, and Deer) which was a big help. Got Navigation early on so I could trade resources & make trade routes with overseas civilizations and from then on, I managed to maintain a pretty good tech lead. Later on, I invaded France (wow, bombers & tanks are really effective against low tech civs) for an Aluminum resource that they had. From then on, it was smooth sailing.

RainbowDespair on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, come on in TripleB! The thread became a sort of "talk about any CIV game" thing... I started the post, but I don't even play the Civ: Revolution demo anymore. It's Civ IV all the way! Woot!

France is a bunch of bastards... well, in the game at least. =) I was playing as China, and they were my friends all game last game (and the only empire that was actually friendly to me), and I was on my way to a Space victory when I decided I should change three of my civics (which caused three turns of anarchy). They invaded the next turn with their Cannons and Cavalry.

They took two of my border cities because they were such good friends that I left them pretty much unprotected. Unfortunately for them, I had approximately 40 Modern Armors and 10 Stealth Bombers defending my other borders. Since I was so close to a space victory anyways, I figured I could get some revenge killin' in. I took back my two cities that turn (thanks railroads! ;) ), and proceeded to burn every French City, village, mine and farm on the planet into dust. Usually I claim them as my own (for obvious financial benefit), but it wasn't about the money this time. The gruesome task was over in about ten turns. The remaining Civs divided up his territory and about another five turns later I got my space victory.

The moral of the story? Don't fuck with China. And don't send horseback units to face an army of mechanized infantry and advanced warplanes.

VThornheart on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I pre-ordered this yesterday and I'm pretty excited about it. The two Civ games I've played the most are III and IV, and these days I avoid them for fear of massive addiction levels.

I'm sure I won't get addicted to this console version right? I mean the demo was pretty awesome but...

No no. Never again. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I fucking hate getting what should be good land, but then not having iron anywhere (and no will will trade). I pretty much have to turtle up with archers and then longbowmen until I hit the Industrial age.

Zenitram on
    edited June 2008
    Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind)

Fuck yeah, man. Huayna is the best goddamn leader in the game.
    Civ 4 stuff

Heh. See, Louis XIV used to be my favorite leader in the game, back when I was a culture whore. I never had a problem with him betraying me, either. On the other hand, leaders like Genghis Khan and Montezuma will stab you in the back even if you've been swallowing their cocks the entire game. I've also had problems with Isabella. I practically married the bitch, and still she ripped my heart out. I prefer to align myself with guys like Ragnar and Roosevelt. Ragnar has never betrayed me. Not once.

Also, I was playing a game last night...and fucking Gandhi declared war on me. I feel like if Gandhi ever declares war on anyone, the developers aren't doing it right.

Triple B on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gandhi is always a dick.

Oh, and maybe I was the only one not to notice, but there's a new BTS patch out. Changes a lot of stuff.

Fats on
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I'm surprised they're still updating it. I checked the notes and it doesn't look like anything huge is added, but there's a lot of little stuff.

RainbowDespair on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well I do this in every Civ thread, so I guess I should shill again.

Fall From Heaven 2 is the best mod ever. I saw some people asking for mods, that is what you should get. It's a fantastic dark fantasy mod. The later versions require Beyond the Sword, but you can still get the older versions for vanilla civ 4 if that's all you've got.

Mod is here

Fiatil on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    The patch is about a week old, but I've been putting off patching it since I'm in the middle of a game with a friend that's just now starting to wind down. I'm glad that they fixed the culture bug the last patch introduced. Better scaling on the goodie huts is also nice. Everything else. *shrug* The better AI Worker threat assessment probably makes me sad. I loved capturing workers that were too stupid to realize that the warrior with double forest promotions could capture them.

And as for Capec, he's also my favorite. Industrious is the single best trait for staying ahead once you are ahead and quechuas are simply small gods for early warfare. Build 2-3 and let them sit on a forested mountain just outside the enemy capital and you've pretty much completely eliminated a rival. And you probably can get a free worker out of it too. The cultural grainaries are also a nice substitute for theaters, giving you an edge if you're peaceful and crowded by rivals early on. He's a bit worse on the higher difficulty levels simply because it's really hard to build up a tech lead, so the Wonder bonus is basically nonexistent, but I still think that he's a really solid choice just for his uniques.

Aroduc on
  • beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Got the game a couple of days ago and i love it, Maybe even more than the PC version.
    Controls are surprisingly good to be honest, The game has some pretty good achievements too, I unlocked one last night for winning over 20 battles with one unit, I've completed 2 matches with a Dominating with Rome (Gotta love those ninja tanks and nukes) win and a Culture win with Saladin!

I only skimmed through but where can i up the difficulty? I seem to be the only one sporting subs, boats, tanks and planes at the end of the match.

Oh and Fuck india they never give up.

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
    edited June 2008
    beauVSII wrote: »
    Got the game a couple of days ago and i love it, Maybe even more than the PC version.
    Controls are surprisingly good to be honest, The game has some pretty good achievements too, I unlocked one last night for winning over 20 battles with one unit, I've completed 2 matches with a Dominating with Rome (Gotta love those ninja tanks and nukes) win and a Culture win with Saladin!

I only skimmed through but where can i up the difficulty? I seem to be the only one sporting subs, boats, tanks and planes at the end of the match.

you have to go in through 'single player' rather than 'play now' - it seems absurdly redundant, since the only difference is the difficulty options and a sub-menu with load game, play a scenario, game of the week etc, but yeah. if you do that there are four harder levels to toy with. i'm not confident enough with king yet to try the last two

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    And as for Capec, he's also my favorite. Industrious is the single best trait for staying ahead once you are ahead and quechuas are simply small gods for early warfare. Build 2-3 and let them sit on a forested mountain just outside the enemy capital and you've pretty much completely eliminated a rival. And you probably can get a free worker out of it too. The cultural grainaries are also a nice substitute for theaters, giving you an edge if you're peaceful and crowded by rivals early on. He's a bit worse on the higher difficulty levels simply because it's really hard to build up a tech lead, so the Wonder bonus is basically nonexistent, but I still think that he's a really solid choice just for his uniques.

Capac is great with a nice personality combination and some great uniques, but my favorite civilization is probably the Dutch. Financial/Creative is an awesome early game combination and his unique building is probably the most powerful late game unique building (dikes affect sea squares in addition to their usual river effect).

RainbowDespair on
  • beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beauVSII wrote: »

you have to go in through 'single player' rather than 'play now' - it seems absurdly redundant, since the only difference is the difficulty options and a sub-menu with load game, play a scenario, game of the week etc, but yeah. if you do that there are four harder levels to toy with. i'm not confident enough with king yet to try the last two

Ah ha!, I was wondering what the difference between the two play modes were as i had only played the 'play now' option. I love how they've done the added combat bonus to the units that win a certain number of fights.

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
    edited June 2008
    Triple B wrote: »
    Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind)

Fuck yeah, man. Huayna is the best goddamn leader in the game.
    Civ 4 stuff

Heh. See, Louis XIV used to be my favorite leader in the game, back when I was a culture whore. I never had a problem with him betraying me, either. On the other hand, leaders like Genghis Khan and Montezuma will stab you in the back even if you've been swallowing their cocks the entire game. I've also had problems with Isabella. I practically married the bitch, and still she ripped my heart out. I prefer to align myself with guys like Ragnar and Roosevelt. Ragnar has never betrayed me. Not once.

Also, I was playing a game last night...and fucking Gandhi declared war on me. I feel like if Gandhi ever declares war on anyone, the developers aren't doing it right.

It's wierd... Khan and I are always BFFs in my games, and whenever I get Louis he ends up betraying me.

Granted, I've only played three full games so far (Louie and Khan were both in two of them), so it could be an aberration. But if they somehow let the AI remember what you did to them between games, I'd probably never be able to talk to France again. It felt so good to level their cities in a swath of fire. =)

VThornheart on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, I would just jump for Civ IV. Revolution is alright, but you can't manage workers as far as I can tell, which is integral to strategy, and city management has also been toned down. It might be more fun to some people but I think robbing the depth from Civ is also robbing the fun.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, I would just jump for Civ IV. Revolution is alright, but you can't manage workers as far as I can tell, which is integral to strategy, and city management has also been toned down. It might be more fun to some people but I think robbing the depth from Civ is also robbing the fun.

There are no workers, tiles automatically get benefits based on their resources (if you have the appropriate technology), civilization (for example, Egypt gets bonuses for deserts), and buildings (ex: Granaries give +2 Food to Plains).

Civilization Revolution isn't lacking in depth. It's just a difference of focus: Civilization 4 focuses on micromanagement, Civilization Revolution takes a broader view. Sure, some areas aren't as in-depth, but then again, others have more depth (exploration, gold, drastically different civ bonuses).

Plus even if Civ Rev doesn't have as much depth as Civ 4, this is more than made up for the vastly improved AI setting: human. ;)

RainbowDespair on
    edited June 2008

Eh. I always thought the greatest thing about CIV was the sheer scalability of the management aspect. You have the option of either micromanaging like a sonofabitch, or you can just build cities/crank out units, and still have a great experience.

Triple B on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Something vital to know:

Is there hotseat in civ rev? I didn't see it in the demo, but come on... its been in every civilization(except maybe the first? I forget)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Something vital to know:

Is there hotseat in civ rev? I didn't see it in the demo, but come on... its been in every civilization(except maybe the first? I forget)

I'd also like to know... wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I think I'd get a lot more play time out of it.

zeppelin on
    edited June 2008
    Nope, it's not in Civilization Revolution.

RainbowDespair on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't not buy this game day one.

Yet I have no money to buy it day one.

That does it, I'm going to have to go beg on the streets.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

That does it, I'm going to have to go 'beg' behind the Olive Garden.

I played a bit of it, seems alright but I don't know if it feels right playing Civ on a console. Plus one of my favorite aspects of the game was getting bogged down in commanding my 34 workers each turn.

Arrath on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    If you don't completely lose track of what you were doing at least once per game, then you're not having a real Civ experience.

Aroduc on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

That does it, I'm going to have to go 'beg' behind the Olive Garden.

I played a bit of it, seems alright but I don't know if it feels right playing Civ on a console. Plus one of my favorite aspects of the game was getting bogged down in commanding my 34 workers each turn.

Consoles should get the same version as the PC, imo.

civ.png

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, back when Ceremonial Burial was the start of religion and half the wonders were so godawfully overpowered that it was just a race to grab those and then laugh at the AI.

Aroduc on
    edited June 2008
    So... today I went to Fry's, and apparently they have a Civilization compilation set (Fry's was selling it for 30 bucks). It has Civ I - IV, a Civ CARD GAME (whaaaaaaaatttttt!?!?!? I'm overjoyed at the concept! =) ), and a bunch of art/movies (I guess of how it was made? I don't know for sure).

Are the other Civ games before IV worth playing if you have IV? If so... I think I may have to go back and buy that set.

I tried the "Scenarios" today. Gave the American Revolution one a shot. The only thing that was really neat about it was the fact that they did a good job making the land resemble American geography. Other than that, it was pretty boring... especially not being allowed to do research. Are there any FUN scenarios, or should I stick to the randomly generated maps for fun?

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.