As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] - Dark Heresy : Optimus Usurpo

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Critical Failures
I think it’s about time another Dark Heresy game got started, don’t you guys think so?

Right now it’s just planned as a one-shot adventure, as it’s my first time running a game. If everything goes well, maybe it could lead into more adventures.

I’m planning on running the game play-by-post (PbP) but with a fixed meeting time every week, where everyone can post every few minutes for a few hours. This worked quite well with Utsanomiko’s game, which I played in, so I might as well use the same method.

The times I’m looking at for everyone to meet to play would be from around 7 PM to 11 PM Central Time (GMT -6). What days we would play is to be determined, but I’d like to do it at least twice a week.

Speaking of being interested in playing – this is going to be a game for two to four players. The adventure is going to focus more on figuring things out and less on punching them out, so keep that in mind when creating a character to submit to me. Characters should be at Rank 2, using 800 exp and 4 months back wages.
If you’re interested, go ahead and say so in this thread (along with what days you are available to play), and PM me the following:
  • Your character sheet in a word document
  • A short physical description of your character (a few sentences worth)
  • A brief character background (where you’ve been living, what you’ve been doing, etc.)

Updated guidelines:
When transcribing your character sheet to a word document, list everything in order as it appears on the Character Sheet in the back of the Core Rulebook. You can also download a printable PDF of the character sheet here off the Black Industries website. Make sure you include everything and have it clearly labeled.

As far as starting equipment goes, feel free to use your wages to buy some new equipment. You can sell any starting equipment you are replacing at 1/3rd their listed value. As far as item availability goes, you can get access to anything up to Scarce availability.

Your characters have not been knowingly working for the Inquisition as of the start of this campaign.

[/update]

The only things you have to roll for are Stages 2, 4, and Divination. Character classes and origins can be chosen by you, or rolled randomly.

If you do not have access to the core rulebook but want to play, send me a PM and we can talk on AIM and figure something out.

Because of the setting of the game, it would be best if your character hailed from somewhere in Drusus Marshes, but they can hail from anywhere in the Calixis Sector as long as you have the proper back story for them. I reserve the right to tell you if your character is a Mary Sue or Gary Stu.

Current Game Thread:
Optimus Usurpo In-Game thread

Confirmed Players:
  • Utsanomiko - Boaz Mirosal Calvarius-Kornel, Noble Cleric
  • delorand - Viswanat, Forge-born Adept
  • Carnarvon - Parthus, Feral Assassin
  • TheLawinator - Paba Clavu, Feral Pskyer

People Who Maybe Would Play In Another Game If Someone Else Wanted To GM Something:
  • Rainfall
  • laughingfuzzball

People Who Apparently Think Signing up For A Game And Then Ignoring It Is Polite When In Fact It Is Very Rude
  • JonnyCache

DarkPrimus on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    This post reserved for any future information that may need to be added.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm interested, and if I've worked out the time zones properly I'll be free every day except Friday and Saturday (Central Time that is). I'm going to have to go out in a bit, so I'll double check later on. I'm in New Zealand, so I think we're 18 hours ahead.

Is that four months back wages at rank 2 or rank 1?

Edit: OK, time zones are confusing the hell out of me. Is "Central Time" currently GMT -5 or GMT -6?

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Color me interested and very much in.

How are we doing chargen? Random rolls confirmed by invisible castle? Random class/origin?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Central time is GMT -6

The only things you have to roll for are Stages 2, 4, and Divination. Character classes and origins can be chosen by you, or rolled randomly. I'll add this to the OP.

And all back wages will be calculated from Rank 2.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh shits, Dark Heresy!

I'm in. I have nothing better to do, but will be going on vacation the 29th, may have internet that week though, dunno at the moment.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I abide by the rules of this game.

I've got a character written up, randomly rolled a Noble Cleric using the Inquisitor's Handbook (by your permission). I'll send you the stats later this weekend.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ohh yeah!

I saw the Inquisitor's Handbook, but didn't get it since all my RL groups are busy with White Wolf stuff. If we can use it, I'll definitely pick it up.

...but I call dibs on an Assassin. Just for the record, y'know?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You can use the Inquisitor's Handbook if you want, but it is not necessary. I would recommend you go with an origin from the core rulebook anyway, for the setting of this game.

If anyone has character ideas they want to run by me, I am on AIM for a few hours.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking of going with a Guardsman this time.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking of going with a Guardsman this time.

Don't know if he'd have much to do in this campaign, but I won't stop you from playing one.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thats 1am to 5am GMT, or am I the wrong way round as usual?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Thats 1am to 5am GMT, or am I the wrong way round as usual?

That's correct.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn. Oh well!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I guess if you wanted to play as a narcoleptic tech-priest who has a servo-chair to carry him around with the party while he's asleep...

No, that won't work at all. Sorry. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I still haven't gotten any actual character submissions from people yet. If you guys want to run ideas by me via AIM or PM, feel free to do so.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would be interested in playing. My days available (by the current time slot) would be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If that works, I would love to participate. I'm thinking Adept or Tech Priest. Psyker might be fun, too. I don't have the books though.

Edit: Hive World, btw.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In retrospect I think I'm going to have to pass for the moment. 1pm isn't the best time to organise for games when you're looking for jobs. Maybe at some later point.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hope you can play at a later date, then.

I've updated the OP with more character creation guidelines.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whelp, my character sheet has been sent. I'll have to write up a character description that's more flavorful than just a wiry, hooked-nosed bald guy in black & white robes.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    I would be interested in playing. My days available (by the current time slot) would be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If that works, I would love to participate. I'm thinking Adept or Tech Priest. Psyker might be fun, too. I don't have the books though.

Talk to me on AIM and we can make a character together.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bumping this up to remind folks if they want to play they need to submit a character. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've fond giving a public roll-call works; it puts pressure on people to finish up and kicks the last man out into proper gear.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Total love on this. I'll get a character up later.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to try this - I'll play an imperial psyker.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just like everyone else, if you can PM me the stuff and/or talk to me on AIM about it, that would be sweet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd totally be interested, but I'm not sure if you're amenable to a gaming newbie. The last game I ever played was a clusterfuck of dicerolling on IRC that ended in misery and eyegouging.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For creation purposes, I'm going to work on the assumption you want us to have 800 TOTAL xp, ie the 400 free points + 400 you're throwing us?

Also, if the Calixis material is in use, I might elect to use the small modifications for voidborn on calixis area warships, I think they're neat.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll try rolling up a character some time this week. I'm going to be really busy until probably Monday next week, so this is kind of just me blue dotting it. Don't reserve a spot for me or anything, but I'll try to get in this one.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For creation purposes, I'm going to work on the assumption you want us to have 800 TOTAL xp, ie the 400 free points + 400 you're throwing us?

Yeah, that's what I was told. The rulebook counts the starting XP as standard XP, it just suggests giving out that much at the 'starting' rank.

Although I think it should have emphasized Rank 3 or 4 as the standard starting level for the book's archetypal Acolyte adventures, especially considering how it matches ranks to leveles of acolytes; Ranks 1-2 are really too low on proficiencies, knowledge skills and funds to be made aware of their employer or take on work with much weight or importance (certainly not daemons or wolrds in jeapardy like some starting adventures involve). So you either have to use underqualified agents, draw fewer conenctions to the Inquisition than the book suggests, or start at a middle rank.
    Also, if the Calixis material is in use, I might elect to use the small modifications for voidborn on calixis area warships, I think they're neat.

The origin variations and alternative ranks seem to make for some flavorful alternatives. They also serve as solid examples for GMs to make their own, especially if they use a different Sector setting.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Correct.

Is that in the Inquisitor's Handbook? That shouldn't be a problem.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    delroland wrote: »

Talk to me on AIM and we can make a character together.

No need, borrowed the books from a friend. :)

So which do you think would be better for the group: Hive Tech Priest or Forge Adept?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    An Adept would be a better fit than a Tech Priest, probably.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    An Adept would be a better fit than a Tech Priest, probably.

Alright, I'll roll it up when I get home tonight.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It should be fine if you don't have the books available to you during the entire course of the game, as long as you have the basic gist of it down. You can ask questions in this thread (it will be the OOC thread when the game has started) and I'll end up doing most of the rolls via InvisibleCastle for people anyway, unless they really want to do it themselves.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My pysker is an Ogryn Bone'ead. His response to psychic sanctioning: Frenzies at the sight of anyone smaller than himself. His only power is a telekinetic shove with a range of "touch."
    Kidding.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Changed my mind after going through character creation. Hope you guys have fun.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You changed your mind because you rolled up a character you didn't like, or because you don't care for the system? :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You could make a different guy.

What does the line about "Mary Sue" vs "gary stu" mean?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You could make a different guy.

What does the line about "Mary Sue" vs "gary stu" mean?

Both are the same thing, just unnecessarily gender-specific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_sue

They stick out really bad in the 41st Millennium and you probably should make the exact opposite character. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    delroland on