As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fucking Cheaters

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Of course you don't learn all the practical shit without experience. But a degree is what you need to get your inexperienced ass in the door in alot of cases.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    Same story with my dad. Never went to college, has been doing good work at his place for over twenty years, and has over a dozen kids with business degrees and no idea how shit works ordering him around.

Just to be clear, I think this is goddamn ridiculous and should not be so.

Also, my panties are not in a twist and I am genuinely interested in this discussion, so if I sound confrontational then be assured that I am not. Except before when I told that one guy to eat a dick, because seriously, he should eat a dick. :P

Quoth on
  • TelekineticTelekinetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    I got an A, they both got a B+ (due in part to their lab performance)
    Did it get you laid?

I'm sure it could have. Didn't press the point, would have felt slightly prostitutional.

Clarifying edit: Although, my wife did jokingly refer to the lot of them as my 'chemistry hookers'

Telekinetic on
  • GahziGahzi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My personal belief is that alot of the degree's that are offered by universities these days are quite pointless, Alot of the non-Science related fields offer degree programs that don't really help you get a job outside of being a teacher/prof or the odd rare job(example, working at an art gallery or for a meseum).

Sure some people have different reasons for going to university, some actually wish to learn. Some wish to get a degree so they can have a better chance at getting a good job. And some actually come to do both.

But I mean, if your looking for a job when your an arts/mass com/history/philosophy/insert_stupid_degree that doesn't involve being a prof/teacher then I salute your bravery.

Il stick to my computer science degree and enjoy being laid off every year.

Also, little jim.. Can I get some onion rings instead of fries with my combo? :p

Gahzi on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Degrees are not pointless, but they are not a lot more than a tool to get your name higher on an applicant list. After you get hired, it's all about job performance/personal impression. A couple years in, it's about experience, performance, and personality. And the nature of your degree is basically meaningless. My mother majored in French and History, and worked for the State for over ten years, then hopped around a few start-ups during ye olde boom. Now she is an Exec. VP for a startup that just got bought by a way larger company. Anecdotal evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only class I ever cheated in was Sophomore spanish in highschool. Our teacher wasn't very perceptive and I was awful at spanish. It's the first class I ever almost-failed. I wrote down all our vocabulary words on a note card as tiny as I could and kept it on my lap while I took the test. Since I was towards the back of the room and was a "good kid" she never saw.

TankHammer on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did it get you laid?

I'm sure it could have.

So you mean

"no"

Prolegomena on
    edited June 2008
    Did it get you laid?

I'm sure it could have.

So you mean

"no"

So I mean

"yes if I were single"

I'm married you see

Telekinetic on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about cheating in classes that have nothing to do with your degree?

I.E. Having to take a bunch of fucking classes about Native Americans to fulfill my "diversity requirements". Can I cheat in those with zero guilt?

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I.E. Having to take a bunch of fucking classes about Native Americans to fulfill my "diversity requirements". Can I cheap in those with zero guilt?

Well, that depends on whether you want to take the moral high ground or be a rationalizing poophead. The short answer is "no."

Quoth on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »

I.E. Having to take a bunch of fucking classes about Native Americans to fulfill my "diversity requirements". Can I cheap in those with zero guilt?

Well, that depends on whether you want to take the moral high ground or be a rationalizing poophead. The short answer is "no."

Well, it's a lot easier to rationalize, unless Mr. Engineering Major has to build a bridge through an Indian reservation or some shit.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, so how do you get into the field without a degree? I understand that we are speaking in generalities here, and mileage may vary, so I'll throw out an example. My mom doesn't have a college degree, she's been working at the same place for about 20 years, and she's worked her way up as far as she can go because beyond that, her employer requires a degree. It doesn't matter how long she's been there or how much she knows, she can't be promoted further. She is being supervised by a n00b with a degree who knows less than she does. And I wouldn't be telling this story if I thought my mom was an idiot who didn't know shit, by the way.

So in what field is it still acceptable to not have a degree? Or are you saying that yes, you have to have a degree, but in the end that degree is just your entrance ticket to the job fair?

pretty much any company that is located in a place devoid of workers will hire you for something

a good example of this is alberta right now

it will probably be a crappy white collar job at a crappy faceless corperation, but you'll definitely have work

and after a few years you'll be experienced enough to move on or move up, depending on the company

well, she has 20 years of experience, in which field? Where does she work? Where does she live?

these all change where you take your career, but having a resume with "has worked on this shit for 20 years" is extremely valuable

the hardest part is asking, looking around, sending your resume out and getting into interviews

edit:
    Hunter wrote: »
    1.9999999 repeating can't equal 2 Jim

It's missing some.

ps we are no longer friends

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008

If you have to cheat your way through your diversity requirements, you fail at class selection. Music appreciation class = go to six concerts and do two take-home multiple choice tests.

Telekinetic on
    edited June 2008
    I fucking decimated my Asian American Lit class. I even beat out the Asian kids.

I didn't cheat either. I simply played the teacher like a harp the whole time and ended the class with a big presentation on how Asians are being subjected to rampant discrimination in the entertainment industry unless they can do martial arts.

TankHammer on
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

If you have to cheat your way through your diversity requirements, you fail at class selection. Music appreciation class = go to six concerts and do two take-home multiple choice tests.

Yeah there is no reason to fail a cultural diversity class.

The first day of my "musical traditions of latin america" class my teacher pretty much said "As long as you show up on time to class, and participate there is no reason for you to fail this class." The tests were all multiple choice and all you had to do was recognize what kind of music you were listening to.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • chronoboundgearchronoboundgear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Note to people: getting bad grades in classes that don't fall under your degree means nothing, unless you're going into some major anyone can do.

chronoboundgear on
    Xbox 360 Tag: Earthbound King

Every fights a food fight when you're a cannibal.
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I cheated on a PT test one time.

It's a long story but I feel justified in my decision.

Defenestrator on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Yeah there is no reason to fail a cultural diversity class.

The first day of my "musical traditions of latin america" class my teacher pretty much said "As long as you show up on time to class, and participate there is no reason for you to fail this class."

That right there would be why most of the cheaters cheat.

Desktop Hippie on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and I cheated on an Ethics test once, but that was sort of a moral obligation rather than a practical consideration. I'd have felt guilty if I passed up the opportunity.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No, not an adultery. The other kind.

It's exam time in the college where I work. I have supervised two exams so far and caught five cheaters. Two swapped papers a few times, so one could copy from the other, and the other three just snuck notes in with them.

Tell me other ways to cheat. What else should I watch out for?

People take notes on extra paper, and write really hard, so the notes are imprinted (dented) into the scrap paper. It can only be seen at weird angles. So check people's seemingly blank scratch paper.

Katholic on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just remember guys, people who cheat in school end up cheating at their jobs and if you cheat at work you'll probably make a lot of money doing petty white collar crime.

Shit that came out wrong.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I.E. Having to take a bunch of fucking classes about Native Americans to fulfill my "diversity requirements". Can I cheat in those with zero guilt?

Just trade someone in that class a couple beads and maybe a blanket for his reports.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I fucking decimated my Asian American Lit class. I even beat out the Asian kids.

So just because they're of an Asian background they should be intimately familiar with literature produced by people of a similar background? I tend to think half the foreign students I meet could get better grades in an English course than the natives at my school.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »

So just because they're of an Asian background they should be intimately familiar with literature produced by people of a similar background? I tend to think half the foreign students I meet could get better grades in an English course than the natives at my school.

The truth is, nobody gets good grades in an English course if they're not English majors. You faggots can't speak English.

I am convinced that nobody can speak English, or write the language.

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

The truth is, nobody gets good grades in an English course if they're not English majors. You faggots can't speak English.

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

this is pretty much true.

i got the unofficial job of proofreading my friends' papers in university, since i was the resident english major.

and i'll tell you, despite them being generally intelligent people, they could not write worth a damn. many cases of 'well this paper isn't very good so i'll look in the thesaurus and add overly-complicated words to it'.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited June 2008

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

Beating Asians in a lot of classes is a brag-worthy exercise guys.

Keep up with the stereotypes.

TankHammer on
    edited June 2008
    it's a cultural theory class

you need to have a firm grasp of theories to do well in it

pretty much exactly like calculus or chemistry

namedropping just the name of the theory is like writing the function down and not solving it at all

Orikaeshigitae on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

I think the last time I didn't get an A in an english class was freshman year of high school. I'm a CS major.

CJTheran on
    edited June 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

I think the last time I didn't get an A in an english class was freshman year of high school. I'm a CS major.

how are you taking english courses without being a major? here, arts courses are restricted to majors only

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »

I am marking exams.

There is no correlation.

how are you taking english courses without being a major? here, arts courses are restricted to majors only
    There's only a few classes in each track that are limited to that major only, and the school has a "Core Curriculum" that basically says your first two years have nothing to do with your major.

That said, of the 4 required english courses, I placed out of 2 of them due to AP exams, resulting in me taking only 3 English courses since I got out of high school.

CJTheran on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, the last time I had a closed book exam was like first year of uni.

Blake T on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my accounting final this semester was open book

it saved me from pretty much failing the course and losing my tiny scholarship

i got a B+

Faricazy on
    edited June 2008
    Semester or two ago, in this awful, awful, awful class: open book, open note, feel free to use the internet to look up anything you need, but don't talk to anyone in the class.

This of course resulted in everyone immediatly opening AIM.

Highest grade was a B+, because no one could find what this guy was asking for anywhere on the internet.

Good work, shitty professor.

CJTheran on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i dont think i could write an essay for shit
    actually i couldnt really do it back in high school either
    ive only had to do a couple in the past few years
    i think even with reports i kinda fuck up the writing and explanation parts of it but largely due to laziness. so ill be doing calculations for a few days and when its all done i dont care to add anything more than a bare minimum of text to go with them

also recently i met this native korean girl who i think had hardly ever left the country or at least never lived anywhere else and had been studying all crazy for the gre and i went through some of the english stuff with her, mostly the comparing "X is to Y as Z is to ?" questions, and that shit was crazy and she did much better than me

as long as i avoid subjects with a lot of essays and shit i should be all good
    with engineering you always got a backup plan cos if an assignment is due soon you can just go to our library and find everyone all copying answers off eachother
    so you get dumb kids keeping their grades up without doing shit
    and the smart kids collaborating either to reduce the workload or finish off the parts that they had trouble with

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I went through my box of stuff from university, and realized just how much time I've wasted writing essays.

It was rather depressing.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My ex is a student teacher. She once told me that for a simple essay she assigned, some kid just printed out the Wikipedia entry on the subject and turned that in.

He didn't even copy it into Word or anything.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited June 2008
    she must have been teaching some real crap for a student to so blatantly not give a shit about it

what was she teaching

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I cheated on a spelling test in the 2nd grade. We had to throw out spelling lists away before the test, obviously, so I did. Only I made sure it was face up, on the top of the rest of the trash. The trash can also happened to be right next to the pencil sharpener. When I just happened to have a need to sharpen my pencil, why hello there answers!

edit:
    and i'll tell you, despite them being generally intelligent people, they could not write worth a damn. many cases of 'well this paper isn't very good so i'll look in the thesaurus and add overly-complicated words to it'.

One of my friends happily admitted to doing this. The fucking prof left a note on his paper adoring his use of words. All he did was use MSWord's thesaurus on every other damned word.

Arrath on
    edited June 2008
    first few years of primary school i was the king of spelling
    in kindergarten there was this wall of words and i think you had to spell each one before it was uncovered and you could move on to the next one
    and im pretty sure i was the first to get through the whole thing

then in year one i was in this composite class with kids from year 2, and every week we got spelling lists and i was one of the few kids good enough to be given extra words to learn
    yay lucky me...

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cheating really bugs me

I don't know why

it also bugs me to play games on easy

IF I CAN'T BEAT IT ON NORMAL IT'S MY FAULT NOT THE GAME'S

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif