As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flying to PAX - Now with 50% more shirt!

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damnit, airline prices keep going up and the economy keeps going down.

I'm seriously considering scrapping my trip to PAX this year and using that $2k to pay off some credit cards and have some cash reserves sitting around.

Doom'n'gloom, doom'n'gloom...

Imperfect on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »

I'm seriously considering scrapping my trip to PAX this year and using that $2k to pay off some credit cards and have some cash reserves sitting around.

Wow, I didn't think it was costing people so much to go to PAX. I managed to score roundtrip airfare for 3 at $235 a pop including tax and fees. Late Tuesday night on Cheapair.com. Flights flux during the week and get more expensive on the weekends. Some people say it is a myth but I have been tracking the tickets for 4 weeks and every weekend it would spike by over $125.

MaoChan on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008

I told you, dude, driving is cheaper.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not from England, it isn't!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited June 2008
    That's only because they haven't built the bridge over the atlantic yet.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• geekgrrlgeekgrrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After reading all these posts about awesome deal from Virgin, how on earth are they making a profit? Everyone else is losing money hand over fist, and I figure their upkeep would be pricier due to all their gadgetry. Does having so few hubs help them instead of hurt them? Cuz if they operated out of Chicago, boy howdy would I have jumped on that bandwagon.. I'm one of the many scared for the reliability of their flight (United both ways).

Speaking of, my Thursday night flight is coming in too late to make the PAX dinner. How hard is it to bump myself up to an earlier flight? I've never done it. Note: I got tickets directly off United's site.

geekgrrl on
    edited June 2008
    I don't think it's so much a matter of difficulty as it is a matter of price. They'll let you bump your flight up, but boy howdy will they make you pay for it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I changed our flights with BMI, and had to pay an admin fee, that was all, and I changed them to arrive 2 days earlier.

And Moe, even with a bridge, I think I'd fly!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So this guy finds a genie, and he gets one wish. He says, "Wow, let's see. How about you build a highway from the USA to Europe so I can ride my motorcycle across the Atlantic?" The genie scoffs. "My friend, do you realize what you are asking? Building supports that reach the ocean floor alone would bankrupt every nation on Earth. Even with my power, this is an impossible task. Please, wish for something else." The man says, "Alright, well, women have always been kind of a mystery to me. Can you give me an understanding of how they think?"

The genie ponders for a moment, before speaking. "Do you want 2 lanes or 4?"

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Driving from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is a long investment of time. So much time that, if taken off from work, would cost me more than flying, even.

And the $2k is probably a big round-up, but I'd prefer to be able to go in stlyle or not at all.

Imperfect on
    edited June 2008
    And the $2k is probably a big round-up, but I'd prefer to be able to go in stlyle or not at all.

I very much agree but you also have to score deals when you can like $70 a night at the Westin! :winky:

MaoChan on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And the $2k is probably a big round-up, but I'd prefer to be able to go in style or not at all.

I agree.

...Doesn't help that my sister and our friends made me a hotel snob.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    By the time my husband and I eat each day and buy trinkets, not to mention the airline tickets I've already paid for and the rooms I've already reserved (arriving early means the discount wasn't available for two of my nights), our total bill will be just under the limit on my Visa. T.T

BrennaCeDria on
  • demiveemandemiveeman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    geekgrrl wrote: »
    Speaking of, my Thursday night flight is coming in too late to make the PAX dinner. How hard is it to bump myself up to an earlier flight? I've never done it. Note: I got tickets directly off United's site.

Geekgrrl, and anyone else getting here late on Thursday (I too am getting in too late for the PAX dinner :()

Is anybody interested in sharing a cab? I won't be getting in until around 11pm PDT. Its too late for any trolley/shuttle bus routes going downtown.

And its cheaper if we split. Let me know.

demiveeman on
    edited June 2008
    demiveeman wrote: »

Geekgrrl, and anyone else getting here late on Thursday (I too am getting in too late for the PAX dinner :()

Is anybody interested in sharing a cab? I won't be getting in until around 11pm PDT. Its too late for any trolley/shuttle bus routes going downtown.

Oh crud. Didn't realize the shuttles stopped at any point. Logical, but since when have I listened to logic? :lol: I'll be getting in about halfway through the dinner, 8:16pm PDT. That's probably too early for you, demiveeman (meaning I don't really want to wait three more hours to get to my hotel), but is there anyone else arriving around then? Or, does anyone know if the shuttle will still be running at that time? I don't relish the thought of spending 2-3x the money on a cab.

geekgrrl on
  • redfish27redfish27 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    demiveeman wrote: »

Oh crud. Didn't realize the shuttles stopped at any point. Logical, but since when have I listened to logic? :lol: I'll be getting in about halfway through the dinner, 8:16pm PDT. That's probably too early for you, demiveeman (meaning I don't really want to wait three more hours to get to my hotel), but is there anyone else arriving around then? Or, does anyone know if the shuttle will still be running at that time? I don't relish the thought of spending 2-3x the money on a cab.

Looks like there are buses leaving SEA-TAC and traveling downtown until 2am. Granted, the buses travel that route less frequently at the late hours, but it's $1.50, so it's worth it to us.

The trip planner suggested this route to get us from the airport to the Sheraton (the closest stop is 4th Ave & University)
    http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/schedules/s174_0_.html
    (scroll down to "To SEA-TAC, DOWNTOWN SEATTLE (Weekday)")
    That will get you 0.2 miles from most of the hotels

redfish27 on
    edited June 2008
    redfish27 wrote: »

Looks like there are buses leaving SEA-TAC and traveling downtown until 2am. Granted, the buses travel that route less frequently at the late hours, but it's $1.50, so it's worth it to us.

The trip planner suggested this route to get us from the airport to the Sheraton (the closest stop is 4th Ave & University)

Oh, awesome! Thanks! $1.50 > $10.25 > whatever ungodly fare a cab would charge...

geekgrrl on
    edited June 2008
    redfish27 wrote: »

Oh, awesome! Thanks! $1.50 > $10.25 > whatever ungodly fare a cab would charge...

You might also want to check out a hotel shuttle, lots of them have them. If you want to be gutsy, just linger around for one and then just hop in and walk to your hotel from whatever one you ended up at.

MaoChan on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That Grey Line Shuttle thing goes to most major Downtown Hotels until like 11PM Daily. Book mine and the Boyfriend's just last night for $36 round-trip. And if you are not at the major hotels, they go to other areas downtown.

Grey Line Downtown Seattle Airporter

CaptainTapole on
    edited June 2008
    Since I was already making some shirts, and Haterot asked me to, I made a special shirt for all of you who are flying to PAX. Just make sure you wear it to the airport.

http://www.zazzle.com/cross_country_flying_trip_airport_security_shirt-235216633201427818

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Since I was already making some shirts, and Haterot asked me to, I made a special shirt for all of you who are flying to PAX. Just make sure you wear it to the airport.

http://www.zazzle.com/cross_country_flying_trip_airport_security_shirt-235216633201427818

Fwacky, I salute you. That shirt is so freaking awesome.

MaoChan on
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    *Sees all Moe's cool swag. Pouts* I couldn't get my group to leave at the crack of dawn to catch up with the CCST folks. D:

MR.T on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    *Sees all Moe's cool swag. Pouts* I couldn't get my group to leave at the crack of dawn to catch up with the CCST folks. D:

So pull and all-nighter and "leave late". ;) Only one person needs to be awake enough to drive anyway.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey Johnxp, can you edit the original post so that people can list up their current flight plans. I saw a thread like that last year and ended up getting to play some wi-fi DS with a fellow PAX gamer from Atlanta. Maybe a format like this:

Date
    Arrival to Departure city
    Carrier & Flight #
    Flight times

I'll go first!

Departing Flight - Group 1:
    August 27th
    Savannah to Charlotte
    United Airlines #2972
    5:25 am (est) to 6:25 am (est)

Charlotte to Seattle
    United Airlines #2111
    7:35 am (eastern) to 10:02 am (pacific)

Departing Flight - Group 2:
    August 28th
    Savannah to Atlanta
    Delta #1758
    6:00 am (est) to 6:58 am (est)

Atlanta to Seattle
    Delta #1053
    9:30 am (eastern) to 11:43 am (pacific)

Return Flights - *both groups*
    September 1st
    Seattle to Charlotte
    US Airways #1548 (also US Airlines #2806)
    11:00 am (pacific) to 6:56 pm (eastern)

Charlotte to Savannah
    US Airways #2248 (also US Airlines #3110)
    7:45 pm (est) to 8:45 pm (est)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2008
    I say if we're making this list for the purpose of arranging in-flight games, we need to combine it with available games for those flights. My husband and I will be with Dover on the Wednesday flights from Savannah and will have with us:

Brian's DS
    Tetris
    Worms 2
    Possibly Pokemon Pearl
    Advance Wars Days of Ruin

Brenna's/Stephani's DS (I answer to either name)
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat/Puzzle Kombat
    Animal Crossing
    Pokemon Diamond
    Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
    Mario Kart
    World Ends With You (for Tin Pin Slammer)

BrennaCeDria on
    edited June 2008
    I say if we're making this list for the purpose of arranging in-flight games, we need to combine it with available games for those flights. My husband and I will be with Dover on the Wednesday flights from Savannah and will have with us:

Brian's DS
    Tetris
    Worms 2
    Possibly Pokemon Pearl

Animal Crossing
    Pokemon Diamond
    Mario Kart

Good idea. I'll be bringing the following:

Contra 4*
    Tetris
    Mario Kart
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin*
    Planet Puzzle League*
    Zelda Phantom Hourglass (Link vs Statue FTW)
    Big Brain Academy
    Picross
    Metroid Hunters
    Metroid Pinball
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (out on June 24th)
    Bangai-O (out on August 12th)
    *=games that I'm looking for a good challenge on (except Contra 4, just want to rock w/a partner).

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'll update if I think of anything else. Also, I will be spending a chunk of time playing any potential Omegathon round DS titles during the flight. Help a brother out.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2008

Such a terrible idea. ;)

funny, but man so not recommended.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm hoping people are smart enough to not actually wear this shirt to the airport, or to at least have something on over it, at least until after they get through security.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm hoping people are smart enough to not actually wear this shirt to the airport, or to at least have something on over it, at least until after they get through security.

Cuz you said that I am going to have to get one, can you edit the pattern so it will show nice on a long sleeve-t that is tan and brown or light blue and navy?

MaoChan on
    edited June 2008
    edited June 2008

Wow thanks, as soon as I get paid (stupid $700 car repair messing with bank account) I'll order it for sure.

MaoChan on
    edited June 2008
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Brian's DS
    Tetris
    Worms 2
    Possibly Pokemon Pearl

Animal Crossing
    Pokemon Diamond
    Mario Kart

Good idea. I'll be bringing the following:

Contra 4*
    Tetris
    Mario Kart
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin*
    Planet Puzzle League*
    Zelda Phantom Hourglass (Link vs Statue FTW)
    Big Brain Academy
    Picross
    Metroid Hunters
    Metroid Pinball
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (out on June 24th)
    Bangai-O (out on August 12th)
    *=games that I'm looking for a good challenge on (except Contra 4, just want to rock w/a partner).

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'll update if I think of anything else. Also, I will be spending a chunk of time playing any potential Omegathon round DS titles during the flight. Help a brother out.

I forgot to mention in my last post: Brian (my husband) said for me to issue an official warning to anyone dumb enough to play Dover in Advance Wars. I've never gone up against him, but supposedly it's asking for rape.

BrennaCeDria on
    edited June 2008
    I forgot to mention in my last post: Brian (my husband) said for me to issue an official warning to anyone dumb enough to play Dover in Advance Wars. I've never gone up against him, but supposedly it's asking for rape.

SHHHH!!! I can't bring roofies on the plane, so I was planning on using AW instead. :P

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Some one will do that and then forget that they make you take off jackets before going through security.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'll update the OP with flight infos...

Keep in mind, though, this is a public forums on the interwebz, and anyone can see your flight info for whatever reason any time they want. I can't think of anything malicious that's not far fetched off the top of my head, but keep that in mind.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited June 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll update the OP with flight infos...

Keep in mind, though, this is a public forums on the interwebz, and anyone can see your flight info for whatever reason any time they want. I can't think of anything malicious that's not far fetched off the top of my head, but keep that in mind.

'Cause yes, the crazy folk would waste money to stalk us crazy-gamer-folk.

Anywho!!

The Flight Info for The Inane Outsider and The Boyfriend.

Departing Flight
    Departure: SFO on Friday, August 29
    at 8:20AM PDT
    United Flight 1414
    Arrive: SEA at 10:26AM PDT

Return Flight
    Departure: SEA on Monday, September 1
    at 7:08PM PDT
    United Flight 1237
    Arrive: SFO at 9:16PM PDT

Games from The Boyfriend will be eventually announced.

Games from The Inane Outsider will be also eventually announced.

EDIT:

While typing this post up, I received an EMail from Zazzle--they will ship the CCFT shirts tomorrow. Wahoo!

EDIT on 07/11 to change intinerary.

CaptainTapole on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Departing Flight:
    August 28th
    Jacksonville to Philadelphia
    United #2047
    6:15 am (est) to 8:27 am (est)

Philadelphia to Seattle
    United #2764
    9:39 am (eastern) to 12:32 am (pacific)

Return Flight:
    September 1st
    Seattle to Atlanta
    Delta 1056
    12:55 pm (pacific) to 8:50 pm (eastern)

Atlanta to Jacksonville
    Delta 1801
    10:45 pm (est) to 11:57 pm (est)

redhalo on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

That shirt is awesome and I want to wear it, but I am afraid of security douchebags that don't know a joke when they see one.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited June 2008
    Just don't wear it at the airport. Also there's one that goes on a light shirt now too.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    Just don't wear it at the airport. Also there's one that goes on a light shirt now too.

Curses! I wanted Lime-Green, but it had no writing in the back. Sokie. Navy blue for me!

CaptainTapole on
This discussion has been closed.