As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heller Affirmed - SCOTUS Upholds 2nd Amendment Individual Right Determination

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Well, as a gun control semi-advocate, this ruling really isn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it could have been, since it didn't incorporate the 2nd Amendment to the states, and made sure to declare that the individual right to own a firearm granted by the 2nd Amendment is in fact rather limited:
    “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.”

“Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U. S., at 179.”

It's pretty much what they hinted at back in Oral Arguments. Though I'm kinda surprised it split 5-4. I had thought it'd go 6-3.

moniker on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On that alone I am a single issue voter (or in this election, will abstain), because without it all the others mean nothing.

...really?

Out of curiousity, where do you live?

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Could you reword the thread title please so people know what the case is about?

Medopine on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On that alone I am a single issue voter (or in this election, will abstain), because without it all the others mean nothing.

How do you mean?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think all of the judges on the dissenting side actually agree with where they placed their stance. I think it was more of a way to soften the precedent than anything.

I couldn't find the title edit. Where is it?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be happier for you Yanks if I wasn't so jealous.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes, because trying to control handguns when a state that has abysmal control is an hour away will totally be representative of effective gun control. Now, whether banning handguns is an effective gun control method or not I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't help when there's an easily accessed supply right next door.

It's tough to say how much of a role proximity plays when you take into account bans in Britain which is an island nation plus chunnel.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't think all of the judges on the dissenting side actually agree with where they placed their stance. I think it was more of a way to soften the precedent than anything.

I couldn't find the title edit. Where is it?

Why do you think this?

Double click the thread box on the forum index to edit the title

Medopine on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    See, until now I thought we were on the wrong rack.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and if you ever want to re-affirm why you shouldn't have gone to law school, try reading the part of Scalia's opinion where he parses, in mind-numbing detail, the exact legal definition of every single word of the 2nd Amendment.

Scalia often says and does things that suggest he has no perception of historical context.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Yay! Maybe now we can start putting gun control laws in place that actually, you know, work to solve the problem of gun crime.

Honestly I don't think that any gun control laws would limit crime because criminals don't care about the law. I would love to be proven wrong though.

You won't be. See: Canada.

Alright, let's see Canada.
    c011218a.gif

That said, gun control is of course not the only factor at play here, nor is it by itself a sufficient factor to reduce crime. But it certainly helps.

EDIT: Fixed table.
    EDIT2: To hell with the table. Just look at the damn website.

Correlation does not equal causation, except when its convenient.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Honestly if this thread had more pictures of racks, it would be better. No, not spice racks.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

No, they really do. Being deprived of Habeus Corpus matters a good deal whether or not you can own a gun. The politicization of Justice matters a lot, whether or not you can own a gun. &c.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Oh, and if you ever want to re-affirm why you shouldn't have gone to law school, try reading the part of Scalia's opinion where he parses, in mind-numbing detail, the exact legal definition of every single word of the 2nd Amendment.

Scalia often says and does things that suggest he has no perception of historical context.

Except when it aligns with his position :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    Well, as a gun control semi-advocate, this ruling really isn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it could have been,

You might say we... dodged a bullet.

:winky:

That's a pretty hollow point to make.

Also seriously Peeking you kinda gotta be more than a single-issue voter for anyone to give a crap about your position. As much as people love to be daring martyrs and abstain, wouldn't it be more useful to vote for dudes you pretty much enjoy and then persuade them that your position is significant?

I mean, say Obama doesn't think.... I don't even know, net neutrality is a big deal. It would be too bad for me, the net neutrality superfreak that I theoretically am. But if I mostly dig his positions, I could always vote for him and then start a letter-writing campaign saying "Pay attention to this it is super important!". It lacks the verve of saying "psssh they're BOTH jerks" but it has higher odds of actually bringing the outcome you desire.

BUT that is kind of a tangent.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Well, as a gun control semi-advocate, this ruling really isn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it could have been, since it didn't incorporate the 2nd Amendment to the states, and made sure to declare that the individual right to own a firearm granted by the 2nd Amendment is in fact rather limited:
    “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.”

“Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U. S., at 179.”

It's pretty much what they hinted at back in Oral Arguments. Though I'm kinda surprised it split 5-4. I had thought it'd go 6-3.

At this point I expect every single SCOTUS case to split 5-4.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jot wrote: »
    I know that as an European the culture gap won't allow me to ever understand the American attitude towards firearms.
    But I'll still say that it's retarded that you have to take a test to be allowed to drive a car but you don't have to do something similar when you want to own a gun.

The Swiss own more guns per capita than we do...

Switzerland is, if I'm correct, rather special in that regard. During your, at least for men, mandatory military service, you get your own gun and are of course trained in the use of it.
    Then, at the end of your military service, you take your gun home with you. So pretty much every household has at least one gun, but its owner is trained in its use, and I'll expect the military does some basic psychological checking too.

I don't think it's a system that would work in any other country than Switzerland, though. And I don't know how well it works, but you don't hear much about school-shootings from there...

If someone knows the Swiss system better than me, feel free to correct my incoherent ramblings :P

jot on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have a look at the violence statistics on Native reserves. Comparable to the US.

Availability of guns has little effect on the actual rate of violent crime. The only thing it affects is what weapon that violent crime is committed with. While that may be worth it for control, it is my belief that crime is more a factor of poverty and disenfranchisement.

That said, other than the registry, which is retarded, I think Canada is doing it right. No automatic weapons, required licensing for owners, heavy restrictions on pistols. :^:

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Almost every mass genocide in history was preceded by sweeping gun control. I really don't think this was a coincidence. And suspending habeus corpus is a whole lot easier when there isn't a whole lot of blood on your hands. Not that the citizens could overpower the government, but they could make it bloody enough to deter these actions. Sort of a mutually assured destruction, only in the form of a second civil war.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    D:

Wat

Medopine on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I do agree that trying to enforce a law like this doesn't work very well, but I still think the dissenting opinion is a bit more salient than the majority opinion.

Somehow I doubt crime rates or firearm deaths will go down in D.C. with the gun ban lifted. Just as conceal and carry laws have not helped reduce crime rates in multiple areas.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Durandal,

On every other issue I'd agree. I've voted for people I vehemently disagree with on other issue and campaigns and I've voted with both parties. On this I can't imagine voting for a candidate against it. It just seems fundamental.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly if this thread had more pictures of racks, it would be better. No, not spice racks.
    Gun racks?

Bama on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Almost every mass genocide in history was preceded by sweeping gun control. I really don't think this was a coincidence.

Yeah, those Canadian genocides since gun control was introduced decades ago are really getting out of hand.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Almost every mass genocide in history was preceded by sweeping gun control. I really don't think this was a coincidence. And suspending habeus corpus is a whole lot easier when there isn't a whole lot of blood on your hands. Not that the citizens could overpower the government, but they could make it bloody enough to deter these actions. Sort of a mutually assured destruction, only in the form of a second civil war.

So the citizens cannot overpower the government through force, but unless we have the right to own guns, to ensure we fail at trying to overthrow the government via force, nothing else matters? Your logic eats itself.

And suspending Habeus Corpus is a whole hell of a lot easier when people only vote on whether or not you get to keep your glock.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Canada doesn't have sweeping gun control or a malevolent government. What's your point?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    I'd be happier for you Yanks if I wasn't so jealous.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes, because trying to control handguns when a state that has abysmal control is an hour away will totally be representative of effective gun control. Now, whether banning handguns is an effective gun control method or not I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't help when there's an easily accessed supply right next door.

It's tough to say how much of a role proximity plays when you take into account bans in Britain which is an island nation plus chunnel.
    The point is that there's a state literally next door with abysmal control laws.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Moniker,

Yes. No it doesn't.

Overpower does not equal overthrow.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Correlation =/= causation.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Canada doesn't have sweeping gun control or a malevolent government. What's your point?

...but our government is soooo malevolent? Is that what you are implying?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'd like to see some examples of these genocides preceded by gun control, because I can't think of a single one.

jot on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008

Man what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    jot wrote: »

I'd like to see some examples of these genocides preceded by gun control, because I can't think of a single one.

Ze Nazis is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Sweeping gun control aimed at an ethnic or religious minority, as part of an overall governmental effort to restrict the rights of those minorities, to be more specific.

You know, completely unlike American and Canadian gun control laws.

And post-war Yugoslavia disproves part of your theory, since the prevalence of gun owners really didn't do much to stop ethnic cleansing.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dammit, we can only make it three pages before falling back into this asinine argument.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rwandan killers used machetes.

I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm calling that a Godwin and bowing out

GOOD DAY SIR

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Moniker,

Yes. No it doesn't.
    We need guns to overthrow the country in the event of a dictator's rise to power, though we can't actually overthrow the country with guns, but someone isn't a dictator unless they try to take our guns. Remove Habeus Corpus? I still got my glock. Ignore judicial oversight? I've still got my glock. Any dictator who swept into power would ensure liberal gun rights existed while cracking down on everything else to the point where gun ownership doesn't mean shit because you're being ruled by a dictator. The very thing you're saying gun rights are necessary to prevent.

moniker on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the citizens cannot overpower the government through force, but unless we have the right to own guns, to ensure we fail at trying to overthrow the government via force, nothing else matters? Your logic eats itself.
    A door lock doesn't prevent someone from breaking into your house. A car alarm doesn't prevent someone from stealing your car. These things are deterrents. It's much less attractive to coerce someone with deadly force when that person may be able to respond with deadly force.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gun rights does jack shit when the government can disappear you.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All genocides were also preceded by, and continued via, breathing oxygen. I'd like to see this made illegal, but I'm not holding my breath.

SithDrummer on