As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legions (aka Tribes 4): Open Beta Tomorrow!

• TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just can't get used to the controls. I'm fighting years of muscle memory that tells me right-click is jet up, and space is for skiing. It's frustrating as hell.

Also, it feels like the energy pack is about 25% too small. Or perhaps the thrust is too low. You can't modulate your jets to carry you on a long low trajectory like you could before. It's just straight up and then fall like a rock. Of course, this could just be because of the first problem.

Plus, I was never a fan of the chain gun or grenade launcher in the old one. So it's a pain to be forced to use them here. I would like them to allow you to pick your two weapons and perk separately.

You can modulate a long low trajectory if you do it right and are on the right terrain. I was flying around the Grass level at around 100~, it was pretty awesome.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there any point to the velocity warning besides to let you know how awesome you are?

Also, this game is one of the best free games I have played. It only lacks three things in my opinion: a better HUD/map interface for larger resolutions (including big-ass icons for flag location), an autobalance feature for team games, and variant models.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Is there any point to the velocity warning besides to let you know how awesome you are?

If it is while falling you may take damage, you could test it by slamming the jets down key.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Also, this game is one of the best free games I have played. It only lacks three things in my opinion: a better HUD/map interface for larger resolutions (including big-ass icons for flag location), an autobalance feature for team games, and variant models.

If you go fast enough you'll start to take damage (but also knock people out of the way as you go by them like a fireball.) It's awesome ;).

Ego on
    Erik
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, Walrus and I had a few games of the Marble thingy. Pretty fun, though I really don't like the 'Action Tokens" thing that have going.

I'll try to get a Legions game set up probably tomorrow. Maybe it'll decide to work this time?

Tamin on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ego wrote: »

If you go fast enough you'll start to take damage (but also knock people out of the way as you go by them like a fireball.) It's awesome ;).

When you get the velocity warning hit the 'r' key and you'll go into overdrive. You get this glow in front of you and you go really fast but your life drains and if you don't stop (I usually do this by right clicking) you will die. I don't understand the point of it but it's pretty awesome when you go that fast. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can you do it while carrying the flag? Might be good for getaways.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That's my entire strategy with the flag.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Cool, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Then again, every time I steal the flag my guys are too busy playing deathmatch to get OUR flag bag, so I end up hanging around behind our base staying mobile until 3 enemies jump me and I get rocketed to death.

I wish I could shoot in this game, but I just suck suck suck. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game is pretty cool. Just as a little heads up: I'm playing under the name da_newb. So if you see me, add me. I just wish it supported voice chat... :(

da newb on
    edited June 2008
    I've decided that this is my favourite version of skiing in any Tribes game. It took a while to train myself about the new space/right click system (and that's not having played Tribes for at least two years, heaven help me if I'd been playing it recently) but the whole system of aimed jets, down-boost and infinite regular boost at reduced energy recharge rate and repair ability really adds something to the game (IHMO.) It'll be interesting to see what sort of fighting styles emerge.

Ego on
    Erik
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Then again, every time I steal the flag my guys are too busy playing deathmatch to get OUR flag bag, so I end up hanging around behind our base staying mobile until 3 enemies jump me and I get rocketed to death.

Yeah, just grab the flag and make a run for an exit. Jump off the ledge and boost downwards and before you hit the ground you should get the velocity warning, go into overdrive and head straight for your base. Turn it off before you die or when you reach your base (whichever comes first) and jump up onto it and the flag should be yours (unless something bad happens along the way of course). It's pretty quick.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2008

When I get the enemy flag (in a stand-off) I usually head diagonally behind the bases to the top of the tallest available mountain (and I notice that's where the enemy flag carrier will often be if he's not at a main.) Swarming is a lot harder when they have to charge you up-hill, and you can down-boost and get the heck out of there if they use energy to try and get at you quickly. If they try and approach you without using energy you can peck away at them pretty good with rockets and grenades, and standing more or less on the horizon line makes it a lot harder for them to nail you with those same weapons.

I love high ground.

Ego on
    Erik
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy shit I played it last night for 1 round of CTF.

I realize now that: the skills learned from the original Tribes? You don't unlearn those.

Disc... err... rocket to the face mid-air, bitches!

I was constantly getting "velocity warning" flashing on my screen. Couldn't figure out overdrive. Is there a scoreboard in game? This is awesome for a browser game.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited June 2008
    if you hit esc you can see a scoreboard

Ego on
    Erik
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also alt + enter for fullscreen. I can't play games in browser mode.

Also holy shit that's how overdrive works? Why did this game not have a goddamn manual?

Fugitive on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I click "Join" to get into a game and nothing happens. It works ok if I create my own game, but I can't join anyone else's :|

Shujaa on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nevermind I figured it out... the secret is to NOT press the shiny "join" link because it's a goddamn fake.

Shujaa on
    edited June 2008
    How did you do it, then? I've been having 'connection' problems.

Tamin on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm loving this game. I'm ArcSyn (big surprise there!) on InstantAction.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It seems like loads of people treat CTF like a deathmatch, its getting rather annoying. Also met my first griefer today! Had the enemy flag and for once I didn't end up very dead, very quickly after GuyFugly appeared, killed the other flag carrier (2v2, with Guy not being the flag carrier) and was on the straight to our base. Sniped by my team, thanks teamkiller!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah there needs to be some vote-kicking or admin options or something. Seems like those sorts of functions shouldn't be that hard to implement in a beta.

Fugitive on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Yeah there needs to be some vote-kicking or admin options or something. Seems like those sorts of functions shouldn't be that hard to implement in a beta.

Pretty sure you can boot people from the party without exiting the game.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eek, the lack of talent in this beta is somewhat repulsive. I think I've come across one guy who knew how to handle a flag properly. Everyone else is just toying with the sniper rifle or running around like turkeys.

Once you flip the ski controls back to classic Tribes the skiing is much better, it still takes some learning curve since now you actually have to hold down space in tandem with mouse to get the jet effect, but overall it's the same.

The most notable difference is you actually have horizontal control while skiing, soooo handy.

Jasconius on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've only ever played one match. It was pretty boring. I can't play because 99% of the times it says "Final connection check: failed". But I still can use the chat! Doubt it's my fault, I only have zone alarm as a firewall, so yeah.

Fuga on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm playing the ever loving shit out of this game, I seriously haven't had this much fun since T1. Now that I have cable instead of the dial-up I had back then, I can actually shoot people. I've gotten more MA's in the past few days than I did the entire 3 or 4 years I played Tribes.

My name on there is Aiserou, feel free to hit me up. If you send a friend request, make sure you mention PA so I don't ignore you.

Aiserou on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Managed to get into a game. It's pretty good, really does bring back Tribes 2 memories (that Starwolf vs Blood Eagles snow map, the bestest).

Mind you, I never did learn about skiing in Tribes. How can I do it here? At the moment I'm holding LShift, RightClick and forward and I'm sailing along with no loss in jetpower (must be a bug) but I somehow doubt that's skiing.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Managed to get into a game. It's pretty good, really does bring back Tribes 2 memories (that Starwolf vs Blood Eagles snow map, the bestest).

Mind you, I never did learn about skiing in Tribes. How can I do it here? At the moment I'm holding LShift, RightClick and forward and I'm sailing along with no loss in jetpower (must be a bug) but I somehow doubt that's skiing.

Fresh Meat!

No, uhh, I don't know how you keybindings are, but there are essentiall two controller components to skiing.

Assuming you are on default keybindings:

1) Right-Click - This activates your thrusters and enables relatively frictionless movement along the ground.

2) Space Bar - Defaults as jump, but if you are holding down Right-Click this will kick in your jet pack and you will fly vertically.

The basis of skiing is to use uphill slopes to give you upward momentum and land atop downhill slopes, using gravity to achieve additional momentum. Your jets serve as a method to get from the crest of the uphill slope to the crest of the downhill slope.

These maps are extremely easy skiing maps so you should have no problems picking it up...

I JUST want them to remake Snowblind.

Snowblind was my tribes' T1 map which we would always select for our matches so we practices the fuck out of it.

I KNOW EVERY CORNER OF THIS MAP.

Jasconius on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scarabrae! Broadside! Rollercoaster! Snowblind! Raindance! I want them all back dammit!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RainZRainZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Any new players to the series in general or even veterans should check this well put together guide video out.

It covers a few things that legions does differently to the tribes series as well as basics like skiing, different roles etc.

RainZ on
    RainZ+Aus.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scarabrae! Broadside! Rollercoaster! Snowblind! Raindance! I want them all back dammit!

Kind of related, but one of my favorite moments in T1 was learning that you can edit the map while people are playing.

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2008

Rollercoaster would kick ass with this skiing format. So would Raindance...

The others are a little abrupt. Snowblind had like one ski route per side that wasn't through death valley.

What was the name of the other snow map with the flags on the roofs surrounded by ELF Turrets?

That was a juicy one.

Jasconius on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good God this game is fun.

Veegeezee on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    So, where can I get Firefox 2?

I refuse to use IE or Safari, and.

The game.

It draws me, like the yellow sign.

I need it.

minigunwielder on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Thats the name I was looking for, thank you!

God yes, I'd love broadside so hard.

Edit: FF2? I still run that on my desktop (I'm lazy) Let me dig around and see if I can find the install file, I'll pm you if I do.

Arrath on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, where can I get Firefox 2?

I refuse to use IE or Safari, and.

The game.

It draws me, like the yellow sign.

I need it.

What's wrong with 3?

Works for me.

august on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gawddamn network connection errors. why are you doing this to me

Fuga on
    edited June 2008
    ahh, 3 works.

minigunwielder on
    edited June 2008
    So, do we have to scam invites with a list rivaling the tower of Babel?

I want to play this, but I want nobody from IGN or Gamestapo to play this.

minigunwielder on
    edited June 2008
    Starting a game.

Tamin on