As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DRAWSTRINGS CAN KILL CHILDREN

15678911»

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The worst one was where I couldn't attack enemies more than one square away.

And then critical hits push the enemy back.

And apparently that counts as hitting an enemy more than one square away.

And then I fail the clan trial.

ARGLAEAGARAARGALFAAKDF!

Marshmallow on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh yeah fuck that, crit knockback counts for knocking people back as well, i wish I could just opt out of critting.
    The new finding item system is ... hmmm..
    Don't know yet, it is pissing me off a little but I'm sure I'll get over it.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    I settled for always flanking them, just in case.

I'm also just getting used to a lot of these things, having not played a tactics game since the first FF one. I miss being able to name your new recruits.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2008
    I haven't played far enough to get a new recruit yet :< I want one from the new races.

stimtokolos on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    fuck, it's nearly 6 and I'm still up

my sleep cycle is getting worse

TheySlashThem on
    edited June 2008
    I haven't played far enough to get a new recruit yet :< I want one from the new races.

It's mostly happenstance I guess, being in the right region at the right time of year.

My first and only so far was a Hume archer I used to replace that insufferable cat girl thief thing. Jesus Christ she's terrible.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2008
    You did start with a party that was like, XXX Clements, Moogle Thief, Nu Mou Blackmage, Vierra Whitemage and Hume Archer right?

I fucking hate how you can't pick what their initial jobs are, because their stats are fucked if you want to try and throw them into any other role ,it just pisses me off.

E: This is wondering if it is random at all.

stimtokolos on
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh yeah fuck that, crit knockback counts for knocking people back as well, i wish I could just opt out of critting.
    The new finding item system is ... hmmm..
    Don't know yet, it is pissing me off a little but I'm sure I'll get over it.

the thing to do is always have something behind the person you're attacking--a rising incline, another character, etc

this keeps them from being knocked back, because they WILL be knocked back at least 1/3 of the time on that clan trial

that's why it's the clan trial for adaptability

you have to adapt

also I really dig the new item system

I am a fan

also god damn it I missed nusch?

Skull Man on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh hey did they remove that gay-ass law system from FFTA 2

because god I hated that in FFTA and it made me stop playing after a few battles

no melee weapons? Okay I guess my fighters will just mill around then, you dick

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    I didn't do adapt :P I just got that knockback on a random quest.
    The trial I did was general, and got journeyman on it, which is like 6 sprites, fuck sprites, I chose the speed buff, so that I could actually fucking move, and as soon as I miss a melee attack it goes away, gah. Oh well, did it.

Anyway I'll ask again to anyone who might know, what is the multiplayer like in this, the only option I can see straight from the menu is trade, but I'm wondering if they even included a combat multiplayer type, because I remember in FFTA you had to level up a certain amount before that became available to you, or rather advance in the main quest arc.
    I was really hoping for a proper clan vs clan multiplayer in this game, but I'm probably dreaming.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    The law system is a lot less harsh mori, if you break it you just lose the bonus which you picked at the start, and don't get the one or two free items. Oh and you can't revive dudes for the rest of the battle, but it doesn't send off the offender straight away, however it doesn't do shit if your enemies break rules.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    you can ignore the law system in this game except for in clan trials, which are pretty infrequent

basically if you follow the laws you get to use one of the bonuses you earn the right to use by doing different things

the bonus will be anything from Regen on every character to Plus Power or showing all traps or making all your attacks non-elemental

also if you break the law you can't res anyone that fight by any means

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    man clan versus clan would be so pimp

you could even do it on wifi

and win rewards

like a special job class or something

also I really enjoy the auctions

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    What auctions?
    I do not have wifi if that is what the "trade" thing is :<

But really now, how hard would it be to include clan vs clan in a game people have been making for so fucking long, I mean poke'mon did it, and even has that reduce your dudes back to level 50 in online thing. Or at least I think it does.

stimtokolos on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know what I love.

When newspaper articles have little bits in the middle of them that are even wackier than the subject.

Headline: Naked sushi comes to Clearwater bar
    "It's very avant garde, a little controversial, but everything innovative is going to be," says Paul Puzzanghera, 40, a Clearwater attorney. "But it's chic."

His wife of 18 years agrees.

DarkPrimus on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh I bought Etrian Odyssey 2 the other day

I like the mapping out of dungeons

what I don't like is the assrapingly hard difficulty

I mean damn

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    What auctions?
    I do not have wifi if that is what the "trade" thing is :<

But really now, how hard would it be to include clan vs clan in a game people have been making for so fucking long, I mean poke'mon did it, and even has that reduce your dudes back to level 50 in online thing. Or at least I think it does.

you'll get to the auctions

seriously I love how I'm been playing this game eighteen hours and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface

I played FFTA for over 200, and this game feels so much bigger already

best forty dollars I've spent in a long, long time

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah Etrian Odyssey will do that to you, did you play the first? The earlier levels of the dungeon in that, had you farming levels a bit, until you get a bunch of different skills, but then even though the monsters kept getting harder at about the same rate, since you had a larger array of abilities they didn't become as butfucking shit hard every time you go down a level, physical damage classes take a while to get going, I only ever went down one stratum in it though, so I didn't have hexer / ronin, and I know alchemist has changed a little in number 2, losing poison for instance, but seriously, you should probably have an alchemist even if you have to go back to town a lot to use him, because spell damage is fucking awesome.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the problem I'm having is that I can't rest between battles. it wouldn't be nearly so frustrating if I could, you know, take a break.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    I keep taking the Bonus CP privilege, but I don't think I need this many cp, I mean I don't seem to have a shortage of them at all, do you get one a bit later for extra loot or something?

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    I don't have that privilege yet, where'd you get it?

I don't know, I almost always take Power+2

but if for whatever reason I can't bring out my green/white mage (love that combo) then I use Regen

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    Do you have access to those recall items yet Mori? I forget what they are called, I could check by loading up my game but I'm mid FF here :P

They are awesome though, always carry like 4 or 5, takes you back to the previous level of the dungeon I think , or maybe they are a complete recall to town I don't remember, but usually the jump in difficulty of monsters is such that even if you get sent back to a previous level, if you were dying on the other one but doing ok, nothing on the one above should trouble you even if you're on low hp.

Maybe something to do with twigs or needles, but I could just be creating false memories.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    No, I haven't been able to finish the first damn quest because I get beaten to hell by even the starter monsters.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I don't have that privilege yet, where'd you get it?

I don't know, I almost always take Power+2

but if for whatever reason I can't bring out my green/white mage (love that combo) then I use Regen

I just started with Bonus CP 1 D:

Probably from those choices at the start?

Possibly a real spoiler if anyone cares about the FFTA2 story at all.
    I chose stay inside and play video games, and get my warrior to level 75, as those choices

I actually laughed when was I was presented with those options.

Possible spoiler for Etrian Odyssey 2, right at the start though, before any fights so it should be fine for you Mori
    I saw at a friend's place, as soon as you go into the forest "Here be dragons" I cracked up, was not expecting that at all.

stimtokolos on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh my fucking god I can't get Puzzle Quest out of my head

I go to bed an I start seeing the game board and gruaahhhh

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited June 2008
    Yeah the start in 2 is pretty harsh from what I saw,
    in the first game they don't lead you into the middle of the fucking level and dump you, they let you go in from the start of the level, so you can mull around a bit and level up if you need to, and if you're getting low make it back to town, you should have heal potions or something with you though right?

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    oh yeah those questions, I forgot those

yeah, I got Power+, Agility+ and Speed+

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    When I can see what I have so far I'll post it, but I am kind of pissed that I can't make any items so far to give me a new blackmage spell, I've only done 14 missions, but I've tossed him on whitemage just to learn some crap while I wait for a new item.

Also don't have anything new for whitemage as a matter of fact, but he can learn cure at least.

I'm hanging 'steal weapon' and 'steal armour' when I can get my greasy mits on those.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah the start in 2 is pretty harsh from what I saw,
    in the first game they don't lead you into the middle of the fucking level and dump you, they let you go in from the start of the level, so you can mull around a bit and level up if you need to, and if you're getting low make it back to town, you should have heal potions or something with you though right?

Yeah, but I get something like... six, the enemies beat the shit out of me, and I can't fucking leave until I map the entire first level.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    you'll get all you need soon enough, I had the same issue but looking back my Black Mage would have been WAY overpowered with Thundara or Blizzarra

Skull Man on
    edited June 2008
    Wait, can't you leave the forest and come back Mori? Like find your way back to the entrance, leave, get healed, go back and map more?

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    Wait, can't you leave the forest and come back Mori? Like find your way back to the entrance, leave, get healed, go back and map more?

Yeah. I made it to the entrance and the guy was like HEY WAIT ASSHOLE YOU NEED TO MAP THE WHOLE LEVEL

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    I have:
    Power up 1
    Agility up 1
    Speed up 1
    Luck 1
    Regen
    Libra (shows all traps)
    Bonus CP 1

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    Actually looking it up, I only had to map that part of the level. Still though, the game is vicious.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2008
    If you really are struggling Mori, and like can't be fucked, there should be maps of the levels on gamefaqs, and if you copy if out the dude won't know the difference.
    Also you can map areas you haven't walked in, like you would be doing above, so if you can judge how large a room is without moving in all the tiles, map it out and move on.

E: Oh I agree the first is fucking difficult, when you get up to FOES (big enemies), they fuck your shit up to start, there is one fight in the first
    where you are fucking around fighting a giant wolf, after beating a fuck ton more to get to him on the level above him, and this level, and then in his den he calls more wolves on you, and they run at you turn by turn on the map and can join the fight and it is all fuckkkkkkkk!, i beat him after several tries and escaping from combat once i killed him and basically town portaling, hard stuff

That is when I stopped playing the game though, because I wanted to rework my characters, and it makes you drop like 10 levels off them to do it, also in the second one, I know you can't leave without a full party, at least at the start, I hope for your sake you can later, to get a gatherer dude and chomp down a shit ton of the weaker monsters with a good dude, to power level it.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2008
    What is this shit, charm has had a 30% chance to charm my dudes and these fucking rabits have 2/3 of my team charmed off the first round.
    That is the biggest bullshit, my archer just got charmed, shot someone two squares away "FAILED"
    Squealing with rage, I should just do this with like 2 guys.

stimtokolos on