As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids today or: I miss my copy of Pokemon Pearl

BeckBeck Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
So, my family had some company over today. Friends of ours we knew from Church, about 7 years earlier. They had a few kids, and one of their young children really looked up to me. This is both awesome and totally shitty. On the plus side I can help introduce him to awesome games, on the down-side I'm baby-sitting for a good 6 hours.

After a few rounds of Mario Kart, and a couple hours of baby-sitting, he brings out his Nintendo DS and asks if I have any multiplayer games. I told him I've got Mario Bros. We play that a while, and when I'm putting it back on my shelf, he notices I have Pokemon Pearl. He goes on to tell me he lent his copy of Pokemon Diamond to a friend, Ash, but it was lost. Ash (and Ash's parents) are also assholes, so they wouldn't buy him another copy. The real disappointment is our friends are somewhat down on their luck, money's tight. He asks if I would be interested in trading for my copy. I decline, and give him my copy of Pearl.

I lost my save file, so many hours lost. But hey, it was for a great cause, right? I'm bringing Pokemon back into a kid's life, and that's awesome. He never said thank you, I figure he's just excited. I know he'll cherish it. But things went downhill from there.

He begins to talk about how he'll be trading in his DS, and his new copy of pearl, to put towards a PSP. And a barrage of requests flow from there: Can I trade you my DS for your lite? Can I have your [game], or [console]. I mean, I understand he's 12 years old (and it's not like I'm mad or anything), but dang, I've never really felt so unappreciated before.

So I'm wondering, has anybody had a similar experience? Or, on the other hand, anybody have some totally awesome, somewhat related, stories?

Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
Beck on

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, did you take your copy of Pearl back?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is the kid's name Gary?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, Jesus. The grammar and punctuation in the thread title are making my eyes cross.

Esh on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Is the kid's name Gary?

And does he have a sports car with a gaggle of fangirls in the back?

yalborap on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

No, it's his.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
    edited June 2008
    Beck wrote: »

No, it's his.

I'd have taken it back.

Because he was being ungrateful.

Kagera on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

No, it's his.

I'd have taken it back.

You'd take a game from a twelve year old kid to teach him a lesson about being grateful to you? I know it kinda sucks, but I rate my pride at least a few notches above some videogame.

Darlan on
    edited June 2008
    Darlan wrote: »

No, it's his.

I'd have taken it back.

You'd take a game from a twelve year old kid to teach him a lesson about being grateful to you? I know it kinda sucks, but I rate my pride at least a few notches above some videogame.

I'm also more than a little bit of an asshole.

I make no excuses for my behavior.

Kagera on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to work at a little gas bar. Pumps outside, snacks inside. Robberies about once every six months, but that's not the point. There was this cute little blond kid who'd come in regularly - he was between six and eight, but small for his age. Anyway, one day he comes in and he just kinda' stands around, looking very worried.
    "Aaron, what's wrong?" I say. He just stands there, terrified. "Dude, are you okay?" And it bursts out of him,
    "That boy wants me to steal cookies but I don't wanna'." I look outside and there's an older boy hiding in some bushes outside. I come out the side door, walk up to him,
    "I didn't tell him to steal anything!" he screams.
    "You're not allowed back in the store," I tell him, and return inside. Then I notice Aaron's gone. He's halfway across the huge parking lot, so I holler at him. He stops, clearly horrified, but slowly returns to the store. When he comes in, I tell him I need to deal with these two customers, but I'd like to speak with him...

(con't...)

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited June 2008
    Sorry, PS3 text field is small.

Once the customers have cleared out, I come out from the back, go into the front and kneel down in front of him.
    "I think that was a pretty brave thing you did, tellin' the truth like that. Being honest isn't always the easiest thing to do, but you were - you were stong - and you should be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you! And I wanna' reward you for that - so pick any two things in the store. Anything you want, and it's yours - on me."

At first he couldn't believe it, he took a good five minutes checking everything out and asking if this was okay or that was okay, and finally decided on a big bag of chips and a two-litre of pop. I told him it was fine, and thanked him again and sent him home.

A few days later his mom comes in, tells me she heard the story and thanked me for being so kind to him - which was nice.

But after that, every time Aaron came to the store he'd be strangely short on funds, and expecting a handout. And every time I had to turn him down.

Chance on
    edited June 2008
    I don't think it's really 'kids today', it's just that kids are slightly smarter than we give them credit for. They see opportunities, 'weakness', and exploitable situations just like adults do - but they're not often as aware of how transparent they are. Aaron just wanted candy - and I'd demonstrated that I was willing to provide it for free - it just took him a long, long-ass time to realize it was a one-shot deal.
    So really, it was your own fault the kid came back to exploit your kindness. It's good to be good to people. It's horrible to get (or feel) taken advantage of or taken for granted. And it's rare to have one without the other.

Chance on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Once I gave a kid a lucario and then he wanted my cresselia. Man, kids these days I tell ya. Back in my day we would have wanted a zapdos.
    Basically the pokemon thread title tricked me into coming in here.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You giving him the copy of Pearl and him talking about trading it in...was this in the same visit? Because seriously, I'd be taking my shit back. Fuck that kid. He needs to learn that that's not how things like that work.

Though I, too, am a bit of a dick.

mcdermott on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had an older cousin offer to buy me Baldur's gate, because we had been playing it SO much, and for whatever reason when we got to the store I wanted some other game, and felt like a jerk, and was a jerk. I was twelve or so. I've come to conclusion over the years, that that age is just amazingly awkward. Some kids down the street from me are the most awkward people ever, and they're all that age. It's science I tells ya.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can remember some horrifically awkward times when I'm 12, but perhaps not that selfish. He may not think something of it now, but just like all of us, it will be one of those events from when he was young when he'll look back and say "jesus christ I wish I could have another take at that one".

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I heard my cousin wasinto yugioh so I gave him all my yugioh cards. asking him about it about a month later he sold them off. he said he got $100 for exodia, which is a good price, but I think he was lying about it thinking I was mad at him or something.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If a kid receives something from someone and then sells it off (or hell, an adult) shortly thereafter, the money should go back to whoever gave out the freebie or gift. That's some shady bullshit. It's not okay for kids to learn to take advantage of someone else's generosity. And no, you're not going to look bad for telling the kid as such, or turning them over to their folks, etc.

This is why kids do this shit. Everyone is too chicken shit to say no.

Henroid on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it was seconds after giving it like the OP I would take that shit back. A month after the fact I was done with it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd rat the sucker out to his folks.

Hell I'm not cheap or I wouldn't have been in situations like this myself in the past but I've never been rich enough to just let something like this slide.

Kids are rude and like other people have already said, they will try and pull this shit if you let them.

If a couple of months down the line and he isn't into that stuff anymore then I'd expect them to offer it back not sell it. They know what they're doing! Most kids are dumb but they aren't stupid.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, when you guys GIVE something, you actually lend it?

Djiem on
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

So you don't value gifts beyond the monetary benefit to yourself?

EDIT: So I understand you're being devil's advocate or whatever because it's fun to do so but can you honestly say you don't see anything wrong with what that kid did?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chance's story is really nice and gripping but wouldn't it be even better to talk to Aaron about him expecting hand outs? I mean you were a real hero giving him that confidence boost and sending him in the right direction but why not do the same when he's starting to take advantage of the situation?
    What I'm getting at is that kids are kids. You can't do them something good and then be ungrateful when they don't return the favor, you need to hint them in the right direction of returning that favor. I believe that's how you really help them out.

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The basic problem with kids today is the fact that they don't get smacked around enough.

I'm not talking child abuse, but my dad used to beat the sweet jesus right out of me when I did stuff to deserve it.

And now I'm fairly well adjusted!8-)

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Usually, when I give people things I expect them to appreciate it and put it to use or enjoyment. If they're going to turn around and sell it, they can get fucked. By a whale.

Henroid on
  • WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm still waiting to hear from Beck about the timeline for this thing. I think he's got the right attitude, a gift is a gift and once given they can do what they want with it, but if this kid is talking about his plans to sell the game he was given in the very same trip to the guy that gave him the gift then that's a real douche move.

Wembley on
    edited June 2008
    I read it as the same trip.

Maybe my opinion comes from dealing with brothers, nephews, cousins and family friends. I know I woulnd't sell something I was given in such a situation and I wouldn't have when I was a child.

If I had wrapped the thing and given it to them for their birthday then obviously a different question.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, honestly.

"Man, that sucks you lost [game] for whatever reason. Tell you what, I enjoyed it a lot and spent a lot of time on it, and I want you to have that experience, too. Have my copy for free."

"Sweet, I can get $10 for this!"

I'd introduce that kid to the back of my hand. I'm sure they would be fast friends.

freakish light on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wembley wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to hear from Beck about the timeline for this thing.

I'm going to wait for that before I make any judgment calls here.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't give stuff to people I let em borrow it or sell it to em. Borrowing usually means for a week.

SkutSkut on
    edited June 2008
    Adda wrote: »

So you don't value gifts beyond the monetary benefit to yourself?

EDIT: So I understand you're being devil's advocate or whatever because it's fun to do so but can you honestly say you don't see anything wrong with what that kid did?

I'm not being devil's advocate. I'm serious. If you give something, you gave it.
    This said, I know that what this kid did is assholeish, but then we don't still don't know the timeline. Did he just say he was gonna sell it the second he got the game, or was it days, perhaps weeks later?

So, if I agree that the kid's an asshole, but also that once a gift is given, it's given, and the kid can do whatever the hell he wants with it, how do I cope? Simple, I don't give gifts to people, except some rare cases, such as relatives and people I know will appreciate it. I don't randomly give copies of games to kids around.

Or if I did, I would give it and turn around, not caring what happens with the game afterwards.

Djiem on
    edited June 2008
    I agree that it's a hugely douche move no matter the timeline, but he's a twelve year old boy. Can you honestly picture yourself, as an adult/older teenager, marching into his toy-laden, brightly colored room and demanding your fluffy-creature-catching simulator back?

It might be worth it to explain to him later on why selling something given to him in that fashion isn't very nice, but I just can't picture retaining an ounce of self-respect yelling at him and demanding some game back.

Darlan on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I agree that it's a hugely douche move no matter the timeline, but he's a twelve year old boy. Can you honestly picture yourself, as an adult/older teenager, marching into his toy-laden, brightly colored room and demanding your fluffy-creature-catching simulator back?

It might be worth it to explain to him later on why selling something given to him in that fashion isn't very nice, but I just can't picture retaining an ounce of self-respect yelling at him and demanding some game back.

Maybe this is just because I have several younger brothers, but you have to realize that 12 year old boys are dicks. They aren't innocent little children, and they know exactly what they're doing. Seriously, when I was twelve some kids (the really messed up ones, of course) were trying their first cigarettes or alcohol. You can be firm with them.

Food on
    edited June 2008
    Food wrote: »

Maybe this is just because I have several younger brothers, but you have to realize that 12 year old boys are dicks. They aren't innocent little children, and they know exactly what they're doing. Seriously, when I was twelve some kids (the really messed up ones, of course) were trying their first cigarettes or alcohol. You can be firm with them.
    Huh. Touché I guess, I'll admit I haven't had a whole lot of experience with kids since I was one. I'm still having trouble imagining how that conversation would go down, though.

Darlan on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, honestly.

"Man, that sucks you lost [game] for whatever reason. Tell you what, I enjoyed it a lot and spent a lot of time on it, and I want you to have that experience, too. Have my copy for free."

"Sweet, I can get $10 for this!"

I'd introduce that kid to the back of my hand. I'm sure they would be fast friends.

Oh no. This is some closed-fist shit here.
    This said, I know that what this kid did is assholeish, but then we don't still don't know the timeline. Did he just say he was gonna sell it the second he got the game, or was it days, perhaps weeks later?

Kid needs to learn early on what happens to assholes. Otherwise this is how assholes get the idea that it's cool to be assholes.

mcdermott on
  • Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The basic problem with kids today is the fact that they don't get smacked around enough.

I'm not talking child abuse, but my dad used to beat the sweet jesus right out of me when I did stuff to deserve it.

And now I'm fairly well adjusted!8-)

Truth!

I never had to experience a "timeout". I was the belt for me and let me tell you, I am very grateful for it.

Bill Nye on
    edited June 2008
    dr0neboy wrote: »
    Chance's story is really nice and gripping but wouldn't it be even better to talk to Aaron about him expecting hand outs? I mean you were a real hero giving him that confidence boost and sending him in the right direction but why not do the same when he's starting to take advantage of the situation?
    What I'm getting at is that kids are kids. You can't do them something good and then be ungrateful when they don't return the favor, you need to hint them in the right direction of returning that favor. I believe that's how you really help them out.

Actually we did have talks about not expecting free stuff later. I explained that I don't make much, couldn't afford to give him candy every day, and that one time was a reward for something awesome he did. Eventually he pared down his attempts to simply trying to purchase items he couldn't-quite-afford (short a quarter, a nickle). To be honest I can't remember if I let it slide or not - it was a while ago.

Chance on
    edited June 2008
    I've never been beaten up and I'm well-adjusted and don't act like an asshole in society.
    So, I'm not sure it's about the beating itself.

Djiem on
    edited June 2008
    I do remember our relationship boiled down to a nice chat every two weeks or so and he'd inevitably come to me whenever he needed his skateboard or bike fixed - which I found strangely pleasant.

The Aaron story reminds me of another. I should note he came across the parking lot from a housing project that was over there - a lot of drug-addled, low-income families. Another kid who often came into the store was a little girl called Angel - and to me, she was as good as her name. The sad side of her story is she'd come in nearly every morning when she should've been having breakfast to purchase a can of pop and some chips. She was sharp as a tack, totally adorable, and curiously honest - if I gave her an extra two dollars in her change she would immediatley turn around and report the mistake, giving me the extra money. Eventually, I had a similar talk with her about her being very honest, and deserving her choice of anything in the store.

Chance on
    edited June 2008
    Point is, she never came back anticipating free treats. She grasped that I was telling her 'thank you for giving back the extra change, here is your reward'. She'd come in, buy her soda and chips, say thank you and leave - and be sure to correct me if I screwed up her change. That girl was a little raven-haired ray of sunshine.

Guess what she dressed up as for Halloween. Guess!

Adorable.

*Again, sorry for multiple posts - small PS3 text field.

Chance on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wembley wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to hear from Beck about the timeline for this thing.

I'm going to wait for that before I make any judgment calls here.

Re-read the OP, he says the family was over "today", consisting of 'six hours of babysitting', quite a bit of which was taken up by playing Mario Kart by his description, before Pokemon DS came up.

So within a couple hours of receiving a gift to cover his loss, the kid switched to 'gimme gimme gimme' mode and trading in everythnig he was lamenting about just a couple hours before.

Which I suppose would be expected of a 7 or 8 year old, but by eleven or twelve I think most people have developned a basic awareness of courtesy to notice when people give them a gift as an act of kindness and not a monetary boost, and not be so flitty as to forget you even wanted it and start planning for new stuff. Or at the very least have the sense to wait for another day to start talking about it.

We were all certainly twerps at 12, but to talk about trading it all away on the same day to the gifter? What a fucking clueless ingrate. His parents probably never set an example for thankfulness for kind acts and let him trade, resell, or forget about whatever toys he owns because, hey whatever, who cares about saving anything or appreciating your current stuff. It's not that he's twelve, he's just one of those kinds of ingrates, probably not too different from his friend Ash, and probably will continute to be.

If he's up-front enough to try to get more stuff just to have more to trade in for a new PSP, he can handle being set aside and told 'look little buddy, when I gave you that game, it was because your friend lost your copy and you wouldn't be getting another otherwise. But if all you want is something to sell, it's not very fair that you made me think you wanted to play it and keep it anyway. I'd appreciate it if you returned it to me if all it meant to you was trade-in money, because it does mean more to me."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif