As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDMI Monitor w/ Audio Out

DVGDVG No. 1 Honor StudentNether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so, HDMI-Capable computer monitors.

My tragically long wait for my Magic Stimulus Monies should be over in the next couple days (As I owed $12 to the Fed, I had to wait for the snail mail version, rather than getting Direct Deposit) and I'm interested in upgrading my computer monitor to a HDMI capable one for my eventual purchase of a PS3.

I had my eye on the Gateway 24" 1080p Monitor, but after looking at it in the store, it looks like there isn't any audio out option. Which means the audio goes in over HDMI and then doesn't go anywhere unless you use their stupid speaker bar thing.

So, I'm looking for a HDMI capable monitor with audio-out, largest/best possible picture for around $500

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
DVG on

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, why not just output audio from component or optical through a decent sound card? $50 to spare you the selection issue?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You mean pipe it through a PC first?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OIC; I forgot the part about the PS3. Well, what sort of PC sound solution do you have? Just a 2 speaker or even headphone config?

If you have something akin to the Z-5500s, you could use component or optical audio this way.

If you have a receiver, plug the a/v sound into that baby and crank it.

Basically, you could use HDMI for video and still output sound to another device.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At present, I have a standard 2 speakers setup for the PC, and a 2.1 speaker setup for the 360 which is also hooked into the monitor using the 360 VGA Cable. Can I still use the vanilla audio out while using HDMI for video?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are you talking about connecting your 360 up? It's not explicitly clear.

MS make a cable for the 360 that has HDMI and an optical audio breakout. Unfortunately you can't use the component cable and an HDMI cable together because the big grey connector blocks it, which is a nice convenient way of Microsoft telling you to spend your money on their ridiculously-priced cable.

However, you can break apart your composite/component cable that comes in the box with the 360 and make room for the HDMI cable at the back. This means that you can use the optical breakout from the stock cable but you can still fit a HDMI cable for video.

This is not without its issues - you're best searching around on the net for that - but it is by far the cheapest solution.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    lsahdjflsahdjf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    crazy....

Well this is what I got about 4 months ago, and it works perfectly flawlessly well. I love it.

I'm using the PS3 with HDMI and using the audio out from the coaxial port. This way, it can transmit DD and DTS audio over it. I have that hooked up to the Z 5500s, and the optical is used for the 360, and the analog for PC.

Beware, this device only does audio out when using HDMI.

lsahdjf on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have a 360 Now, which I'd be using immediately, and I'll be getting a PS3 eventually and will want to hook that up to it as well (Either by switching out the input or by using a switch box of some sort).

I have the HDMI-Capable 360 Pro, which is currently hooked up to my 22" LCD via VGA.

I'm interested in getting a 24ish" LCD with HDMI, the example before being capable of 1080p, though it probably won't make a terribly big difference on a 24" screen.

My Big Concern is how to get audio working without using the dumb speaker bar thing it comes with, but the monitor (nor most monitors, as near as I can tell) have the capability to do audio out, unlike TVs.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2008
    What happens if you use the A/V output and just plug the audio into another source? I mean, it's gotta have a means of allowing for HDMI for video and optical for sound, like the PS3 does. If it can split off the sound function like that when using optical, I'd imagine it could do so when using analog sound output.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    What happens if you use the A/V output and just plug the audio into another source? I mean, it's gotta have a means of allowing for HDMI for video and optical for sound, like the PS3 does. If it can split off the sound function like that when using optical, I'd imagine it could do so when using analog sound output.

Yeah, you'd think. The 360 does not have an optical out port on it, it's on the AV cable's plug. The HDMI port is so close to the AV cable's plug that it is blocked whenever you have an AV cable plugged in. If you have an HDMI cable plugged in, you can't plug an AV cable in, and you can't access the optical audio out.

The solutions to this are in my above post.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2008
    Duh, I totally missed your above post.

That's a remarkably stupid design. By which I mean financially brilliant.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.