As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week ze Games, 6/29-7/5: Trauma Center Under the Knife 2, Guitar Hero Aerosmith

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 20th edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 6/29 - 7/5!

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

6/29 - 7/5

NDS

picture.jpg

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
GUILT is no more. Dr. Derek Stiles and Nurse Angie Thompson faced humanity's greatest threat and triumphed. Now, in the aftermath, they find themselves in unknown territory, forced to deal with the disastrous consequences of the killer virus. Join them as they scramble to address questions left unanswered and put an end to the mystery behind the disease. Caduceus' preeminent surgical team returns to confront the aftermath of the devastating GUILT epidemic in a brand new story. With a new easy-play mode, improved tool utility, and clearer directions, playing doctor has never been so much fun. [Atlus USA]

180530arp.jpg

1 vs. 100
1 vs. 100 puts you in the hot seat as you play against 100 mob members! Answer the questions correctly and eliminate the mob members. If you give the wrong answer, the game is over! 1 vs. 100 for the Nintendo DS recreates the fun of the hit TV show, while 4 additional game modes bring on new and competitive excitement. The multiplayer aspect is key; competition will add to the nerve-racking decision-making of the traditional TV show. The game features TV host Bob Saget.

180538a.jpg

AMF Bowling Pinbusters
The thrill of the lanes is in your hands with AMF Bowling Pinbusters! Take on the challenge alone or against players from around the world as you compete to become a bowling champion.

180373a.jpg

Ducati Moto
Experience the thrill of racing with Ducati Moto. Become a champion as you race across five exotic locations in one of the numerous single player modes or challenge a friend in multiplayer mode.

PC

4169n8g24AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Roogoo
Roogoo updates the square peg in a round hole premise to a whole new level. Help the Roogoo defeat their enemies, the evil Meemoo, in Roogoo, a new and innovative action-based puzzler. Players line up multiple platforms on different levels to allow shaped blocks to pass through and once enough of them stack up, that particular shape closes off. A simple premise becomes more complicated as Meemoos begin to obstruct players' paths, and butterflies attempt to steal blocks away. Players must swivel, roll, and boost their way through 45 puzzle-filled levels alone or with up to four friends in cooperative party mode play. For those with a more competitive spirit, Roogoo offers a two-player multiplayer mode over Xbox Live where players battle to solve the same puzzle and can build up attacks to thwart their competitors' efforts. [SpiderMonk]

picture.jpg

Dungeon Runners
Something stirs in the darkness. A hot earthy smell wafts up from the dank depths. Nails scratch against limestone, dripping water echoes off cavern walls, ancient chains rattle in stagnant air. What lies in the eerie depths below? Dungeon Runners is an online role-playing game that's FREE to download and FREE to play. As a brave hero, you'll explore dangerous dungeons, battle ferocious monsters and discover incredible weapons, artifacts and loot. Choose to play as Fighter, Mage or Ranger in a realm of terror, magic and adventure. Unlock powerful new skills as you gain experience on your journey into the unknown. Whether fighting evil hordes as a lone warrior or teaming up with online friends to carve a path of destruction through your foe, Dungeon Runners will quench your deepest dungeon-crawling thirst. [NCsoft]

picture.jpg

The Immortals of Terra
Also known as "Rhodan: Muth of the Illochim") The year is 1346 by the New Galactic Calendar (4934). Almost 3000 years have passed since Perry Rhodan landed on the moon in his Saturn rocket STARDUST and encountered Arkonide space travdelers. Mankind's first contact with a sophisticated alien race changed history: Immortalized by a cell activator, PERRY has held the Terrans' fate in his hands ever since. [BrainGame]

PS2:

picture.jpg

Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith is the first game built around the legendary music of "America's Greatest Rock ‘N Roll Band": Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer. This latest Guitar Hero installment puts players in the shoes of Perry (guitar), Whitford (guitar) and Hamilton (bass), as they rock out alongside frontman Tyler and drummer Kramer. Gamers experience Aerosmith’s Grammy winning career, from their first gig to becoming rock royalty, in a way that no other entertainment vehicle offers. As fans progress through their careers in the game, they can rock out to scores of Aerosmith’s greatest hits, as well as songs from celebrated artists that the band has either performed with or has been inspired by in some way. Venues from historical moments during the band's illustrious career offer the experience of "sweet emotion" and further capture the essence of the band's rise to fame. [Activision]

PS3:

picture.jpg

Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith is the first game built around the legendary music of "America's Greatest Rock ‘N Roll Band": Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer. This latest Guitar Hero installment puts players in the shoes of Perry (guitar), Whitford (guitar) and Hamilton (bass), as they rock out alongside frontman Tyler and drummer Kramer. Gamers experience Aerosmith’s Grammy winning career, from their first gig to becoming rock royalty, in a way that no other entertainment vehicle offers. As fans progress through their careers in the game, they can rock out to scores of Aerosmith’s greatest hits, as well as songs from celebrated artists that the band has either performed with or has been inspired by in some way. Venues from historical moments during the band's illustrious career offer the experience of "sweet emotion" and further capture the essence of the band's rise to fame. [Activision]

picture.jpg

Hail to the Chimp
Since the dawn of time, Man has wondered who would win if a polar bear and jellyfish teamed up to fight an armadillo and yak. Do you have what it takes (approximately $40) to learn the shocking truth? When the King of the Animals is forced to resign in disgrace, a motley group of candidates turns out for a bare-knuckle campaign to win the Crown. From Ptolemy, the mighty hippo, to Crackers, the devious monkey, each of the ten candidates has distinct strengths and strategies, but the same hunger for political power. Hail to the Chimp is a party game that delivers exciting gameplay, lush interactive environments, and a comic look at politics. Players use the game’s unique team-up mechanic, mixing cooperation with competition, to claw their way to victory. Whether played by four friends on one TV, online against distant challengers or single-player against advanced AI, Hail to the Chimp offers endlessly replayable party fun for gamers of all stripes. [Gamecock Media]

PSP

picture.jpg

Fading Shadows
Evil is afoot and the villainous Master Gardal has diabolical plans. With the aid of his faithful minions Quiph and Morg, he intends to conquer the famed Castle of Heaven... the supreme fortress built to protect the world from forces of darkness. The only way for Gardal to breach the castle gates is by sacrificing the pure, untainted soul of Erwyn, a young boy mentioned in a millennia-old prophecy. Gardal and his minions have already captured the boy and imprisoned him inside a dungeon to await execution. Yet Gardal didn't count on the help of Aira, Erwyn's clairvoyant sister. To save her brother, Aira has sealed Erwyn's soul within a single teardrop and transformed the teardrop into a protective orb. Now, in order to free her brother she must safely guide the orb into the Castle of Heaven using a magical beam of light. Unfortunately, sending the beam of light to Erwyn has used all of Aira's strength and she cannot control it any longer... Will you help her? [Ivolgamus]

Wii:

picture.jpg

Guitar Hero Aerosmith

x360

200513b.jpg
Includes Bonus Disk with Multiplayer Maps, Themes and Gamer Pics and a Gears of War 2 Preview.
“Gears of War” is the first game developed by Epic Games exclusively for Microsoft Game Studios and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. “Gears of War” thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing story of humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet.

picture.jpg

Hail to the Chimp
Since the dawn of time, Man has wondered who would win if a polar bear and jellyfish teamed up to fight an armadillo and yak. Do you have what it takes (approximately $40) to learn the shocking truth? When the King of the Animals is forced to resign in disgrace, a motley group of candidates turns out for a bare-knuckle campaign to win the Crown. From Ptolemy, the mighty hippo, to Crackers, the devious monkey, each of the ten candidates has distinct strengths and strategies, but the same hunger for political power. Hail to the Chimp is a party game that delivers exciting gameplay, lush interactive environments, and a comic look at politics. Players use the game’s unique team-up mechanic, mixing cooperation with competition, to claw their way to victory. Whether played by four friends on one TV, online against distant challengers or single-player against advanced AI, Hail to the Chimp offers endlessly replayable party fun for gamers of all stripes. [Gamecock Media]

XBLA

9890_482c7105b69a7_thumbnail.jpg

Soul Calibur

WiiWare/VC

fatal-fury-2.jpg

Fatal Fury 2

wii630.jpg

Magnetica Twist

PSN:

dunno yet

So what's everyone getting?

I've already bought GH:A, and Trauma Center 2 is a day-one purchase for me!

Soul Cal 1 on XBLA looks pretty sweet too if you've never played it.

Otherwise.... huh.

slash000 on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A tale of swords and souls for me this week! I love Soul Calibur.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Soul Caliber for XBLA? I might have to get that. Also, what's new in this edition of Gears? If it's just the multiplayer map packs then I don't care, as I've already purchased them. The PC single player content they added would be pretty cool, but last I heard they said it wasn't really feasible due to new engine features or something.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Trauma Center 2 interests me, but I don't know if I could go back to stylus controls after the glory that is the Wii controls for that series. I thought Hail to the Chimp looked like a fun XBLA game; when I found out it was priced at $40 and not $10, all interest vanished. I might pick up Soul Calibur since I liked it back in the day though I'm disappointed that it doesn't seem to have the cool RPG-style mode.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is GH:Aerosmith pretty pointless if you don't like Aerosmith?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Soul Caliber for XBLA? I might have to get that. Also, what's new in this edition of Gears? If it's just the multiplayer map packs then I don't care, as I've already purchased them. The PC single player content they added would be pretty cool, but last I heard they said it wasn't really feasible due to new engine features or something.

I'm fairly certain it's just the Multiplayer maps, and some video trailers for Gears 2.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So is GH:Aerosmith pretty pointless if you don't like Aerosmith?

Let me put it this way: If you're on the fence about the game, don't get it.

It's essentially an expansion to GH3. Thus, while there are new outfits for characters, a new chick guitar player, totally new venues, and the ability to play as/with Aerosmith (and Run DMC at some points), what it basically boils down to is 41 new tracks to play and conquer and 5-star and rank up in leaderboards.

The tracks are 60% Aerosmith and 40% songs by bands that either influenced, or were influenced, by Aerosmith. So there's variety there, but for only 40% of the songs.

On the plus side, the HOPO timing has been tightened a little, and the notecharts a little more conservative. So the gameplay itself is actually kind of between GH2 and GH3. So some people would actually be happy with that.

However, this really isn't a "new" Guitar Hero. It's Guitar Hero 3, but with mostly Aerosmith songs, and tons of Aerosmith fanservice.

If you hate aerosmith, you'll hate this. If you kinda like Aerosmith, you might like this game, depending on how much you thirst for new notecharts to conquer. If you love Aerosmith, you'll love playing and hearing their songs and seeing the interviews with them and watching all of their onstage antics in the game.

Most people really only enjoy Guitar Hero because of the musical variety. There isn't as much variety here, obviously. And so since there's no big improvemetns to the gameplay over GH3, besides the slight tightening of the HOPOs and notecharts, I really don't think most people in general would be too happy about paying $50 for this. But if you love guitar hero, and you're ready for 41 tracks to master, and you at the least don't mind lots of aerosmith, then it may be worth it; this is the category I fall into.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yikes. Thats a big no for me on GH:A then.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just beat GH:A. Definitely more conservative note charts. Not as "X-treme!" note charts as GH3.

This is a good sign for GH World Tour.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still wondering what all the hype about Hail to the Chimp
    is? Is anyone going to buy this?

CaffeinatedGuy on
    brick_bow_banner.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm still wondering what all the hype about Hail to the Chimp
    is? Is anyone going to buy this?

I didn't know there was any hype for Hail to the Chimp whatsoever. I've seen some weird marketing for it. It's by Wideload, and they're a cool group (Stubbs the Zombie was awesome) but the game doesn't appeal to me at all.

brynstar on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh fuck Trauma Center 2. Fuuuuuck meeeeeee.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My DS has been giving me more than a fair share of anal rape lately with Contra 4. So why do I feel so compelled to buy Trauma Center 2?!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Trauma Center 2 ships today.

Expect it to be on shelves tomorrow.

People must buy this game. In great quantities.

slash000 on