As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! Updated OP 8/9

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Strife23 wrote: »
    I've tried to look for the answer this (so forgive me if I missed it) but does anyone know what the rule is about bringing a large bag of buttons on an airplane? Is this an item that would have to be checked, or can it be carry on?

Well, airplane rules vary from airline to airline. It could certainly be a carry on, but I don't understand why you couldn't just put it in with whatever checked luggage/carry on you would be bringing.

redhalo on
  • Strife23Strife23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    but I don't understand why you couldn't just put it in with whatever checked luggage/carry on you would be bringing.

I try not to check baggage unless absolutely necessary, they've just lost too much of my stuff over the years.

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    Strife23105039_thintag.gif
    edited July 2008
    but I don't understand why you couldn't just put it in with whatever checked luggage/carry on you would be bringing.

I try not to check baggage unless absolutely necessary, they've just lost too much of my stuff over the years.

These bags of buttons aren't that big. If you check just the buttons they will likely get lost, if you're already bringing a carry on then just stash them in that. Worse case scenario you could probably fit them into the pocket of some cargo pants.

redhalo on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's my design, kinda boring but it works:
    pin_design_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg
    I had to retrace my blown-up avatar in Gimp, took forever to do. lol

edit:
    here's another one, this is the name I usually go by:
    other_pin_dsign_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg
    Got that from my steam community avatar. I think I might bring this one instead...what do you think?

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

These bags of buttons aren't that big. If you check just the buttons they will likely get lost, if you're already bringing a carry on then just stash them in that. Worse case scenario you could probably fit them into the pocket of some cargo pants.

I believe this is what is generally called a BAD IDEA.
    If you recall, it is still illegal to travel with a pen-knife, let along 50-100 tiny stabbing instruments of death. If you try to take your buttons through carry-on, security is going to be all over your ass and will probably confiscate them.

Possible solutions:
    • Mail them to yourself C/o whatever hotel you're staying at
    • Give them to a friend who's riding the CCST or the WCTT
    • Claim that you're an acupuncturist and you need them for your work*
    • Give in and check your luggage

* NOTE: Not Recommended.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    lordthanda wrote: »

Possible solutions:
    • Mail them to yourself C/o whatever hotel you're staying at
    • Give them to a friend who's riding the CCST or the WCTT
    • Claim that you're an acupuncturist and you need them for your work*
    • Give in and check your luggage

* NOTE: Not Recommended.
    If I didn't live 45 minutes away from Seattle and had to fly I would try it. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Mailing them is probably the best option.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Also, sadly, probably the most expensive. Unless you try to time it so that the buttons SHIP to the hotel, just as you get there. That's a little iffy though, although it's ok to be ahead by a day or two. Hotels are usually pretty cool about holding packages for future residents.

And dangit RedHalo! I demand to be pulled of the "Just talk" list! I've not only got a design, it's been submitted and paid for!

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
    edited July 2008

Also, sadly, probably the most expensive. Unless you try to time it so that the buttons SHIP to the hotel, just as you get there. That's a little iffy though, although it's ok to be ahead by a day or two. Hotels are usually pretty cool about holding packages for future residents.

And dangit RedHalo! I demand to be pulled of the "Just talk" list! I've not only got a design, it's been submitted and paid for!

Updated, and I've been inclined to subscribe to your podcast. As a personal review, if you have ever watched "Home Movies" your dialogue and banter is almost identical to that of Brendon and Jason.

And that is awesome.

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    I"m wondering if we should set up a voluntary meet place & time for exchanging buttons. That way we're not all scurrying around PAX looking for each other. Thoughts?

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I"m wondering if we should set up a voluntary meet place & time for exchanging buttons. That way we're not all scurrying around PAX looking for each other. Thoughts?

I say if we find eachother, we find eachother.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Updated, and I've been inclined to subscribe to your podcast. As a personal review, if you have ever watched "Home Movies" your dialogue and banter is almost identical to that of Brendon and Jason.

And that is awesome.

That is an excellent plug! I'm going to have to check it out. I LOVED Home Movies. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

And that is awesome.

That is an excellent plug! I'm going to have to check it out. I LOVED Home Movies. =)

Septopus. Septopus. Septopus. Septopus.

And yeah, I actually say "Freakie-Outie" ...It's in my vocabulary.

CaptainTapole on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I say if we find eachother, we find eachother.

I dunno, pax is HUGE, and I work ;P I vote for a meetup.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I like the meetup idea too. I'd also say wait for the schedule to be released before deciding on a time

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As the main point to this, is to meet up with other PA'er. But it's hard to say. Yeah, it would be easy to just meet up in one spot and everyone hands out there pins. But yet again half the fun is looking for everyone, like a game.

Highfire on
    edited July 2008
    after seeing how hard finding people in patient zero was last year, I have discovered it is near impossible to find people at pax. doing it sans meetup = likely getting 1-2 buttons tops

BrokenAngel on
    edited July 2008
    I have discovered it is near impossible to find people at pax.

I don't think it's 'impossible'. Hard yes, but not impossible. I keep running into everyone from the forum, you a few times.

Highfire on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    my plan was to walk Friday's line looking for people wearing buttons. but a meet up is certainly something that would be good to plan, the critical mass that is pax is why games like assassins don't work anymore. i think Sunday would be cool, that way we could all try to find each other on the first two days and then we have the meet up as a last resort

super... on
    edited July 2008
    super... wrote: »
    my plan was to walk Friday's line looking for people wearing buttons. but a meet up is certainly something that would be good to plan, the critical mass that is pax is why games like assassins don't work anymore. i think Sunday would be cool, that way we could all try to find each other on the first two days and then we have the meet up as a last resort

Good thinking.

CaptainTapole on
    edited July 2008
    super... wrote: »

Good thinking.

Indeed

Highfire on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pre-PAX dinner meet-up? That was my plan, anyway. Or Shorty's or the bar crawl, or basically anywhere.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am still worried about flying with the buttons... I really want to do this but i don't want to mail them either. I suppose I could contact someone and ask the question but who the hell would I contact?

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lord, if you try to take those in your carryon I can imagine the shit you'd get. Would they take them if they're in your checked baggage? You're right, that is a scary proposition. You could always mail them to a local or one of us that is taking the train if you think it'll be a problem.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited July 2008
    Pre-PAX dinner meet-up? That was my plan, anyway. Or Shorty's or the bar crawl, or basically anywhere.

This is what I was thinking, I mean, these are scheduled meet ups.

redhalo on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree that we should organize a time on sunday to do last minute trading of buttons and share our collection stories.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A non-forumer friend who is coming to PAX with me wanted to get in on the fun. If you need to give him a name for the OP, go with "Pantheofungle". His button design:
    Calebbutton.png

And I figured since I'm getting something shipped from purebuttons I might as well make another button for trading:
    Nerd.png

Both should be at my door in two weeks!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#content

i read it over and over but could not find mention of safety pins or buttons. my best bet would be to put it in your checked luggage or carry on, also shave your beard so you look like less of a criminal.

super... on
    edited July 2008
    I am still worried about flying with the buttons... I really want to do this but i don't want to mail them either. I suppose I could contact someone and ask the question but who the hell would I contact?

All we really need to do is go to an airport and ask a TSA agent (assuming your in the US). They will tell you straight up what we need to do. I had planned on running up to the airport here later today. I will let you guys know what I find out from the TSA.

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    edited July 2008

Do you not want to mail them at all? or just not to a hotel? If you dont mind sending them to a person, I can pm you my addy and bring them with me on the CCST :)

BrokenAngel on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

All we really need to do is go to an airport and ask a TSA agent (assuming your in the US). They will tell you straight up what we need to do. I had planned on running up to the airport here later today. I will let you guys know what I find out from the TSA.

Dude!

I did not even think about what I would do with my 50 buttons when I get on my plane.
    Please let us know what you find out!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Dude!

I did not even think about what I would do with my 50 buttons when I get on my plane.

As long as one of the possible options isn't "stab 50 people in the eye," it will probably be okay. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    Is there any word on whether we need to pitch in a buck or two for the Pax 2008 Forum Buttons? *Waits, $ in hand*

If you guys don't mind pitching in a buck or two each, that I am more than happy to coordinate/order the PAX2008 buttons for everyone.

Also I say mail them to the hotel you are staying at. That is what I plan on doing.

MaoChan on
    edited July 2008
    Dude!

I finally stopped by the airport here and talked to the TSA. 1' -1.5' buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button).

Recap: If you’re in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you’re not your probably better off mailing.

Strife23 on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dude!

I finally stopped by the airport here and talked to the TSA. 1' -1.5' buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button).

Recap: If you’re in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you’re not your probably better off mailing.

Cool. I'll pack them in their own clear zipped baggy so I can take them out of the back pack before it is
    scanned. They can see that bag is full of buttons and they can sift through the button bag if they want.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The other thing you can do is if your planning on flying and haven't ordered your pins yet you can just use the addy of whomever would be willing to transport them to PAX for you. No extra shipping charge.

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
    edited July 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »
    MR.T wrote: »
    Is there any word on whether we need to pitch in a buck or two for the Pax 2008 Forum Buttons? *Waits, $ in hand*

If you guys don't mind pitching in a buck or two each, that I am more than happy to coordinate/order the PAX2008 buttons for everyone.

Also I say mail them to the hotel you are staying at. That is what I plan on doing.

Definitely wouldn't mind paying a few bucks into this.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree on the meetup thing. As soon as the schedule is up, we should pick a good time and place. I think that would be easier than us running around trying to get every pin. It would also give us more time to socialize. Also, people that aren't going to be there the whole time could be sure to make the meeting and get some pins. I guess those that are looking at it as a game would have time before the meetup to see if they could get all the pins. That might make for some good bragging rights at the meeting!

MaoChan: Is it alright if we just exchange a buck for one of your Pax Forums 2008 pins at PAX? That way we avoid shipping costs and hastle. If you need it in advance I guess we could mail checks. I imagine the bank teller will look at you funny when you try to cash 50 $1 checks! o_O Let us know what you need from us. Thanks!

MR.T on
  • AtomicFreakAtomicFreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will likely join in on this too, design to follow soon.

AtomicFreak on
    TheAtomicFreak.gif
    theatomicfreak.png
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BTW: The Pre-Pax Breakfast run to Pike Place is looking to be chock full of button-ers. It might be a good place to start collecting. (Shameless plug, I know) :P

MR.T on
This discussion has been closed.