As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One-Man Rock Band (Part II) -- Week 15: Celebrity Skin

• midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Week 8 results: 9 forumers submitted scores for Hysteria

Click for results
    This week's winner is JoahW with an overall score of 663,204

Top 3 Overall
    1. JoahW: 663,204
    2. MidgetSpy: 650,921
    3. meteredsection: 618,623

Honorable Mention
    • Best guitarist goes to MidgetSpy with a score of 159,123
    • Best bassist goes to Smug Duckling with a score of 236,573
    • Best drummer goes to MidgetSpy with a score of 151,675
    • Best vocalist goes to MidgetSpy with a score of 118,000

Misc Stats
    • The One-Man Superband score is 665,371
    • JoahW was 2,167 points away from attaining the One-Man Superband score
    • The most important instrument was Bass (most points available)
    • The most competitive instrument was Vocals (tightest distribution)
    • The worst domination was MidgetSpy on Guitar (903 points away from the nearest competitor)

Top 10 lists
    Top 10 Overall
    1. JoahW: 663,204
    2. MidgetSpy: 650,921
    3. meteredsection: 618,623
    4. quovadis13: 576,050
    5. Arikado: 473,813
    6. Omeks: 454,646
    7. Locus: 417,669
    8. Smug Duckling: 389,975
    9. the Togfather: 160,297

Top 10 Guitar
    1. MidgetSpy: 159,123
    2. JoahW: 158,220
    3. Smug Duckling: 153,402
    4. Omeks: 152,702
    5. meteredsection: 151,160
    6. quovadis13: 145,930
    7. Locus: 130,380
    8. Arikado: 125,084
    9. the Togfather: 82,906
    Top 10 Bass
    1. Smug Duckling: 236,573
    2. JoahW: 236,565
    3. MidgetSpy: 222,123
    4. meteredsection: 215,557
    5. quovadis13: 208,422
    6. Omeks: 162,510
    7. Arikado: 161,039
    8. Locus: 112,339
    Top 10 Drums
    1. MidgetSpy: 151,675
    2. JoahW: 151,075
    3. quovadis13: 139,050
    4. meteredsection: 138,750
    5. Arikado: 70,050
    6. Omeks: 63,475
    7. Locus: 57,950
    Top 10 Vocals
    1. MidgetSpy: 118,000
    2. Arikado: 117,640
    3. JoahW: 117,344
    4. Locus: 117,000
    5. meteredsection: 113,156
    6. quovadis13: 82,648
    7. the Togfather: 77,391
    8. Omeks: 75,959

All Results
    pa.week.8.jpg

midgetspy on
    edited July 2008
    Doh I knew my single bass run was gonna screw me! GJ JoahW... what's next?

midgetspy on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    midgetspy, you can nominate a song if you'd like. If he doesn't show by tomorrow afternoon we can go with it instead maybe.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited July 2008
    I just realized I missed the Togfather so I added him to the results, make sure you update the OP please :0)

As for a song, how about Cherub Rock? Or what was the one Arikado wanted last week instead of Hysteria?

midgetspy on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cherub Rock is an excellent choice.

Cherub Rock it is!

I have to go work on my drum FC for this song (read: never gonna happen.)

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You must really like honey.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ooh a song I can try!

YEY

Raneados on
    edited July 2008
    k, Cherub Rock it is. Updating OP...

This song has a big rock ending right? First one we've chosen for One-Man Rock Band. Should make scores a bit more varied.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooh, I may have to break out my broken strat (whammy bar hangs limp and lifeless), just to try and squeeze a bit more out of the big rock ending on guitar and bass. Although I don't think this'll be a good week on drums for me.

Oh, and I didn't submit for Hysteria, because I didn't get a chance to work on vocals at all, and my scores on guitar and bass really sucked.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Totally getting in on this even though I'm not that great at Cherub Rock.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited July 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    You must really like honey.

Not when there's money.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooh, I may have to break out my broken strat (whammy bar hangs limp and lifeless), just to try and squeeze a bit more out of the big rock ending on guitar and bass.

I am pretty sure your whammy bar isnt broken at all. The spring may have fallen out, but that doesnt mean you have to RMA it. Watch the video to get a 2 second fix to your strat or any other guitar with a "broken" whammy.

Whammy Bar Fix

This happened to both my PS2 controller and my 360 Strat. And the solution fixed them up perfectly. I have had 0 problems with it afterwards.

quovadis13 on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Ooh, I may have to break out my broken strat (whammy bar hangs limp and lifeless), just to try and squeeze a bit more out of the big rock ending on guitar and bass.

I am pretty sure your whammy bar isnt broken at all. The spring may have fallen out, but that doesnt mean you have to RMA it. Watch the video to get a 2 second fix to your strat or any other guitar with a "broken" whammy.

This happened to both my PS2 controller and my 360 Strat. And the solution fixed them up perfectly. I have had 0 problems with it afterwards.

I'm going to go ahead and RMA it anyway, the strum bar is getting a little wonky as well.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can one of you explain how the point distribution works in the big rock endings?

Watching the videos on youtube, most people seem to just go for freaking out as fast possible,
    which is generally my approach as well.
    But recently I've tried to just be methodical and creative, and generally end up with the same amount of points.

But anyway, I'm definitely joining in on the fun this week. Cherub Rock rips, though I'm not so good on the vocals.

metaghost on
    edited July 2008
    metaghost wrote: »
    Can one of you explain how the point distribution works in the big rock endings?

Watching the videos on youtube, most people seem to just go for freaking out as fast possible,
    which is generally my approach as well.
    But recently I've tried to just be methodical and creative, and generally end up with the same amount of points.

But anyway, I'm definitely joining in on the fun this week. Cherub Rock rips, though I'm not so good on the vocals.

Everything you ever wanted to know:

Guitar/Bass
    Drums

Don't know anything about vox.

Basically the gist is, for drums it's easy - just keep something lit up at all times. Hitting at a moderate pace accomplishes this and gives you max points. For guitar, you need to make sure that all the frets are never black. You can accomplish by playing a scale repeatedly at a moderate to quick pace.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited July 2008
    For guitar, I remember reading something that the highest BRE scores can only be gotten with a Strat because you need the solo buttons. You have to press all 5 buttons at once immediately at the start and then press them all together every second (or however long it takes until they are just about to fade out). You also hit them right at the very end as well to maximize the points. But there will probably only be a small difference of no more than a few hundred if you decide to just go nuts on the buttons. I dont think it will be that big of a deal.

Also, I cant sing this song very well. This song does not suit my vocal range in the least. I have to switch octaves all over the place to even come close to filling up the pie. I sing the higher parts in a lower octave, but I have to switch to a higher octave to sing the lower parts. It doesnt help that you switch from high to low midphrase a bunch of times.

quovadis13 on
    edited July 2008
    Yes, should have mentioned that the beginnings and ends of BREs are where the point differences are made. Try to hit all the frets as soon as possible at the beginning and as late as possible at the end.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited July 2008
    Suspicions confirmed!

metaghost on
    edited July 2008
    Tried playing this with the Strat tonight, yeah, strum bar is fucked again as it won't register up-strums now, and while I probabally could do this song using nothing but down strums, it's a major pain in the ass.

Go, go, Les Paul and shitty BRE scores!

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited July 2008
    People on the 360 on scorehero talk about pausing after the last note and switching to the strat just for the BRE, if that helps BlackDragon480.

midgetspy on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    apparently I am not very good at this song

makes sense

because I never play it

D:

got guitar and base done a little, will try for drums tomorrow

not looking forward to vocals

Raneados on
    edited July 2008
    Man, there's one phrase in this song that I can't figure out for the life of me.

"Come align for the big fight to rock for you"

Can't figure out that pitch, even after listening to the song several times. Maybe I'll just hope my drum score is good enough and leave it.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited July 2008
    Well if you can FC drums you're definitely gonna beat me, I can't even come close, hehe.

midgetspy on
  • reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I demand an update so I can get in on this.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
    edited July 2008
    Huh? Anybody can join... what needs an update exactly?

midgetspy on
    edited July 2008
    reach42 wrote: »
    I demand an update so I can get in on this.

?

This week is Cherub Rock. The deadline is Monday - nothing's stopping you from getting in.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited July 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Well if you can FC drums you're definitely gonna beat me, I can't even come close, hehe.

I can't FC them, as the double taps still get me about half the time, but I can come relatively close. :p

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited July 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    midgetspy wrote: »

I can't FC them, as the double taps still get me about half the time, but I can come relatively close. :p

On my one run on drums so far, I was able to get almost all of the double kicks. I messed up in several other places, but nothing that was really unhittable. I could FC this, but that is incredibly unlikely. I doubt I will even come close enough to gold star it.

quovadis13 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm fairly certain that if i do this song, my score on Hard drums will be way higher than on Expert drums. I can probably FC hard, but there's no way i could even come close on expert. that is a little irritating.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I'm brutal at hitting them, the chance of me hitting all of them in a single run is pretty much zero. If I hooked up a second pedal, though..... but that's probably unfair ;-P

midgetspy on
  • meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The really painful part is I sware I gold starred this song on drums once - in quickplay. Not something I've ever been able to pull off again, and I doubt I ever will. There's nothing here I can't play, it's just doing it consistently that's just shy of impossible.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, uh...is this thing dead or what?

Because I finally got Rock Band for PS3 and would totally love to participate. Guitar-only, I don't own (or really like) the other instruments.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I read incorrectly. It's for a super-score of all instruments. Never mind, then.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2008
    But you can still play to win for your favorite instrument.

metaghost on
    edited July 2008
    Then I will do this for guitar and bass when it's updated!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Then I will do this for guitar and bass when it's updated!

Why not do it now?

Any road, here are my scores. I'm sure I could get a higher vocal score, but thanks to that might-as-well-be-a-talky part (you know which one...) and that for some reason this song isn't edited for solo vocals either for time or boredom, I just don't want to keep doing it.
    Guitar (Expert) - 231,478
    Bass (Expert) - 226,577
    Vocals (Hard) - 134, 656

Total - 592,711

I really, really hope they get over their schizophrenia and at least provide consistency with how the tracks are arranged in RB2.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2008
    Is it still for Cherub Rock? The OP said submit scores by June 30.

That's why I was waiting.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it still for Cherub Rock? The OP said submit scores by June 30.

That's why I was waiting.

Probably from a bad edit of the OP. That is the date for last week's song. The cutoff time for each weak is [strike]noon[/strike] 5p GMT every Monday. Most folks do it Sunday night (in the States).

EDIT:
    Guess it's noon Eastern time...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2008
    Dammit, I forgot that getting the game on a new system means I have to unlock all the songs again. No Cherub Rock for me.

Will definitely do the once announced tomorrow though.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2008
    My scores
    Guitar - 238203 (Gold)
    Bass - 231005 (Gold)
    Drums - 208362 (5 Stars)
    Vocals - 82908 (4 Stars)

Total - 760478

Guitar and Bass FC's. There are plenty of points still available, especially on guitar. That song had activations wrapped all around chords, and since I cant squeeze, my scores are a few thousand off the tops. My drums score could have been improved, but I only managed 2 or 3 runs on it, I probably could have gold starred it if I really tried. And vocals..............well, at least I 4 starred it.

quovadis13 on
    edited July 2008
    Yellow, Red, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Red, Blue (should be PS3 code)

All songs can be done from Solo Quickplay. Vocals cannot be done as part of a band (multipliers and such).

Santa Claustrophobia on