As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: This Thread Is 'Inartful'.

• SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/06/baracks-defense.html
    Barack Obama has blasted nearly every element of George W. Bush's defense policy, from Iraq to Afghanistan to Iran. But the Democratic nominee for President, if elected, might very well keep Bush's Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates.

Yeah, I'm just as surprised as you are.

This Sunday's Times of London quotes Obama national security advsier and former Navy Secretary Richard Danzig as saying: “My personal position is Gates is a very good secretary of defense and would be an even better one in an Obama administration.”

That's quite a statement, from Danzig, a man who could himself "become the next secretary of defense," as NPR recently noted. So I asked him whether the quote was accurate, or had been taken out of context. Nope, Danzig replied. In fact, he had made it about ten days earlier, to the L.A. Times. And he hadn't changed his mind since.

So what gives here? How could Obama -- who's running to turn the page on the Bush White House's foreign and military portfolio -- look to keep that book in Gates' hands?

Obama's defense team certainly has serious beefs with Bush's military and diplomatic decisions -- to launch the war, to take resources from Afghanistan, to refuse serious talks with Iran. But, from my limited discussions with Danzig and others, the thing that really pisses them off was the management of the Pentagon during the Bush years. The spiraling budgets, the lack of accountability, the slipped deadlines, the circumventing of the chain of command, the politicization of policy -- to former Defense Department stewards like Danzig, those were the real horror shows.

But since Gates has been brought in, things have started to turn. Budgets have begun to return to reality. People lose their jobs when they can't do them right. Experts in their fields are being heard. Sound policy is often trumping adherence to political orthodoxy. And the Pentagon is slowly, slowly starting to focus on today's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That's the attraction of Gates.

Folks like Andrew Sullivan have written about Obama's conservative, don't-do-anything-dumb-and-radical temperament. That goes for military policy, too.

Back in May, I wrote, "Look, I know no Democrat is going to keep a Republican Defense Secretary around. But if McCain winds up in the Oval Office, I vote that Gates stays at the Pentagon."

Gates insists he's done, either way, in January, 09: "The circumstances under which I would [continue on] are inconceivable to me."

But Barack Obama seems like a pretty persuasive guy.

Speaker on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    That's... a pretty bad evaluation of why GM is failing, Cantido.

Might have something to do with the fact that the money from one out of every eight cars they make goes right to the lifetime healthcare they promised their unions.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm personally biased, too.

You will not catch me, or anyone in my family, living or dead, in an American car.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Might have something to do with the fact that the money from one out of every eight cars they make goes right to the lifetime healthcare they promised their unions.

Which wouldn't be a problem if GM made cars that could compete outside the US...

Professor Phobos on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

And yet it was just reported that GM and Toyota have both lost around 20% of their market share.

Probably just a coincidence, rather than this far out idea that neither company correctly predicted the consumer demand for smaller cars.

Speaker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

You will not catch me, or anyone in my family, living or dead, in an American car.

Why don't you like Toyota? My Mom loves them.

moniker on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It might have more to do with the fact that they're not building any vehicles that people want. Two of their eight brands (Hummer, GMC) make nothing but SUVs and Large Trucks, the sales of which have dropped through the floor in the last 18 months. Furthermore, only three (Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn) of the other six brands make any fuel-efficient models - Buick, Cadillac, and Saab aren't really known for their cost-effectiveness.

Hedgethorn on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Speaker wrote: »

And yet it was just reported that GM and Toyota have both lost around 20% of their market share.

Probably just a coincidence, rather than this far out idea that neither company correctly predicted the consumer demand for smaller cars.

If you look past just the current month, though, Toyota has been closing the gap with GM. GM's share has been dropping for many months, while Toyota has been gaining (or at least dropping more slowly).

Hedgethorn on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

If you look past just the current month, though, Toyota has been closing the gap with GM. GM's share has been dropping for many months, while Toyota has been gaining (or at least dropping more slowly).

because the Prius is the automotive sales equivalent of the Wii?

Daedalus on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I want one of those ridiculous tiny SMART cars. I got a picture of one on my cell in a parking lot. I've never seen one before. :P

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Phalla springs up, but the 538 momentum index rolls on. During my co-hosting, I'll only be doing a reduced version- I'll just count up the states in the state index rather than listing them, and we'll dump the notes of interest.

4%-plus:
    Florida- Down from 34% to 30%.
    New Hampshire- Up from 80% to 84%.

State index:
    Winning, gaining ground: 20 states.
    Losing, gaining ground: 6 states.
    Winning, losing ground: Nothing.
    Losing, losing ground: 7 states.

Overall: Up from 67.4% to 68.8%.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    68.8%?

Seriously?

Quid on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I want one of those ridiculous tiny SMART cars. I got a picture of one on my cell in a parking lot. I've never seen one before. :P

I have only ever seen them on Top Gear, where they were ruthlessly mocked.

But then, Clarkson makes fun of anything that doesn't have powwwwahhh.

Daedalus on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    538 seems really iffy.

nexuscrawler on
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Phalla springs up, but the 538 momentum index rolls on. During my co-hosting, I'll only be doing a reduced version- I'll just count up the states in the state index rather than listing them, and we'll dump the notes of interest.

4%-plus:

State index:

New avatar, huh? Who is that, Lisa Ling?

Hedgethorn on
    edited July 2008
    538 seems really iffy.

I don't know what to think about the models, but there is no better site if you want to know what the present polling data suggests or if you just want someone who clearly understands statistics explain what the polls really mean.

Hedgethorn on
    edited July 2008

The Camry and to a lesser extent the Corolla. They're like the standard sedan anymore, rather than the impala or whatever. A Prius is more for the conspicuous hippie types with money.

And the Think is totally cuter than a Smart.

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    The Prius is flying off the shelves but I gather the profit on it if really iffy so far

nexuscrawler on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    The liberal blogosphere was aflame today with new accusations that Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill) is trying to win the 2008 presidential election.

Suspicions about Sen. Obama's true motives have been building over the past few weeks, but not until today have the bloggers called him out for betraying the Democratic Party's losing tradition.

"Barack Obama seems to be making a very calculated attempt to win over 270 electoral votes," wrote liberal blogger Carol Foyler at LibDemWatch.com, a blog read by a half-dozen other liberal bloggers. "He must be stopped."

But those comments were not nearly as strident as those of Tracy Klugian, whose blog LoseOn.org has backed unsuccessful Democratic candidates since 2000.

"Increasingly, Barack Obama's message is becoming more accessible, appealing, and yes, potentially successful," he wrote. "Any Democrat who voted for Dukakis, Mondale or Kerry should regard this as a betrayal."

Liberal bloggers said that they would be watching Sen. Obama's vice-presidential selection process "very closely" for signs that he is plotting to win the election.

"Barack Obama still has a chance to pick someone disastrous as a sign that he wants to lose this thing," Ms. Foyler wrote. "If not, he should brace himself for some really mean blog posts."

<3

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    68.8%?

Seriously?

FiveThirtyEight is predicting the odds that Barack Obama will win the election in November, not if the election were held tomorrow.

If it were trying to predict who would win in an election tomorrow, it gives Obama something like 90% chance of winning.

This is why no matter how well either side is doing, at least for the next couple of months it will probably never break 80%.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Prius is flying off the shelves but I gather the profit on it if really iffy so far

dealerships must be making a profit since they are usually selling them above the price recommended by toyota

Ohtsam on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »

4%-plus:

State index:

New avatar, huh? Who is that, Lisa Ling?
    The sig gave it away, right?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    moniker wrote: »

you mean 車株式会社 (,Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki-gaisha)?

yeah, that came straight from the heartland of the good ol' US of A

Randall_Flagg on
    edited July 2008

I've never heard of San Antonio or Fremont, California referred to as the heartland, but okay.

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    Aren't Fords half made in Mexico anyway?

nexuscrawler on
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I've never heard of San Antonio or Fremont, California referred to as the heartland, but okay.

Huge chart of Americanness of a car: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-03-21-car-content-chart_N.htm

I thought Toyota built cars in Tenessee. Or Alabama. Somewhere like that with crappy labor laws. Your comment makes me wonder where the heartland is commonly defined.

You can read automobile blogs (and history) and trace the creation of video game fanboys from automotive fanboys. I drove a crappy old Ford as a teenager, but I wouldn't translate the 1986 model experience to a 2009 model if I was buying a car.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kipling wrote: »
    I thought Toyota built cars in Tenessee. Or Alabama. Somewhere like that with crappy labor laws. Your comment makes me wonder where the heartland is commonly defined.

There's a Toyota factory in Kentucky, if that's what you're thinking.

Kilroy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Get on topic before Jeffe gets back, guys!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    ...I hear Obama drives a car made out of American flag lapel pins that he refuses to wear.

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    John McCain drives a Hummer that runs off of barbecue sauce and Budweiser.

Kilroy on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ...I hear Obama drives a car made out of American flag lapel pins that he refuses to wear.

Does he hold the steering wheel with the hand he refuses to put over his heart?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    John McCain drives a Hummer that runs off of barbecue sauce and Budweiser.

But people still don't want him at their barbecues.

werehippy on
    edited July 2008
    I heard Obama's car runs on lattes and arugula.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I heard Obama's car runs on lattes and arugula.

What's arugula?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Obviously I haven't been reading these election threads enough because I know basically nothing about Kathleen Sebelius. I voted Joe Biden.

real_pochacco on
    edited July 2008
    Obama's car's GPS system only allows you to merge right.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like this one.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited July 2008

I'll admit, I laughed pretty hard at this.

Kilroy on
This discussion has been closed.