As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tonight I squared off against a motherfucking Bobcat

Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Social Entropy++
Or maybe a Goddamned Cougar.

We're still not sure what the hell it was.

I was at my buddy's place on East Bay in Northeast Olympia, shooting off fireworks and generally having a gay-ole-tyme. Around 1:30 I'm talking to my buddy Steve and we touch on some heavy stuff, stuff about his now-former relationship with a girl he'd been with for a year and a half. I roll up a pair of cigarettes and we go outside for some conversation on the deck, which juts out from the hill on which my friend's house is founded, a good 25 feet up from the shoreline.

Eventually my two other buddies join us and we're all just chilling out when we hear sounds like somebody walking on the beach, and we look down. Its cloudy, no stars, no moon. We can't see what it is. Steve goes "there, by the log!" I'm straining my eyes, about 80 feet away. I pull out my car keys and turn on my little green pointer light, and it barely illuminates things but I can see the relative shape of some four-leggged animal walking toward the shore on the beach.

"What the fuck is that!" I ask. Barry says its a dog, I'm like "fuck this lets check it out. This is a fucking adventure, guys."

We walk inside to get a flashlight. Beside the door is some old-ass Ninja sword my Barry picked up years ago, its not even decently sharp, but fuck it, its the closest thing to a weapon I can find. Steve grabs a bottle of rum as a weapon (and for drinking purposes) and Barry goes off after a flashlight. We head down toward the beach. As we near the edge of this terrace we can hear the animal making sounds. Strange sounds, sounds we'd never heard before. "Is it a raccoon?" No, no, the thing on the beach was much too big to be a raccoon.

Its making this sound right here:

Bob Cat growl sample

I climb down the terrace and wait for my friends to join me - Anthony has the only Goddamn lamp we could find and Barry is nowhere to be seen. Steve has now traded in the bottle for a rake he found on the grass. I'm standing within a circle of light from the lamp on the terrace above, and none of my fuckawful friends will jump down to stand with me. I have the sword out, and I'm slowly inching my way forward when I hear something that sounds like this scary ass sound coming from the foliage not twenty feet away from me and dead ahead.

Cougar growl sample

Followed by a very long, drawn out hiss. Definitely a feline hiss.

I grip the sword tight and hold it high, ready to lash out in a diagonal cut. My legs are wide and well planted. Steve's like "Fuck this, get the fuck out of there."

I'm still adamant. This is a fucking adventure. Adrenaline is making me bold. I am experiencing a total rush, the rush I get from hunting. The grass is slick under my feet, and then comes another low hiss. Its definitely closer this time, and none of my friends are coming. At this point I realize I might be over my head. I'm done here. I have no idea what the fuck is out there, only that it was the size of a very large dog (or bigger, as it was between 80 and 100 feet away) I begin to walk backwards, ordering Steve to jump down and help me if it charges me. I slowly make my way back to the small stone stairway at the edge of the terrace.

After that Barry showed up with a proper flashlight and we searched the surrounding woods but found no creature, and it seemed to have moved away after our confrontation. We searched the brush, the beach, made a wide circle but we caught sight of neither hide nor hair of the creature.

After that we went online and listened to a lot of big cat calls and found these above two that seemed to match what we heard. Many jokes were then cracked about how hilarious it would have been to tell people that "Hey my buddy Matt (thats me) was mauled by a Bob Cat on the Fourth of July."

It was good times.

Volucrisus Aedrius on

• Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I rectangled off against a cougar once.

Filler Inc. on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • GodLovesYou69GodLovesYou69 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    did you shout kamehameha as you cut him with your ninja sword?

GodLovesYou69 on
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OH MAN MY NAME'S MATT TOO HOW AWESOME

oh and cool story I guess

matthias00 on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Are you sure it wasn't a house cat?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I rectangled off against a cougar once.

Well I just got done cubing a helping of chow mein, what do you say to that?

You 2 dimensional fucker, you.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The most I could say is that I lined up against a supposed ghost in a church. It might have been Jesus.

Slagmire on
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Clearly the Tauren Druid restealthed and figuring that he was outnumbered, went to go gank someone else

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God damn it you are all such fucking nerds

#pipe on
  • ChairwalkerChairwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crack a window, will ya!

Chairwalker on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bobcatww9.jpg

MKR on
    edited July 2008
    The bobcat just wanted to give you a present.

MKR on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ahahahha

is that douche getting arrested?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    The bobcat just wanted to give you a present.

a present oddly close to his crotch

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Steve grabs a bottle of rum as a weapon (and for drinking purposes).

That's definitely what I can picture Steve doing.

Hope I talk to him or Anthony soon and one of them starts off with, "Guess what happened on the 4th of July."

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tonight I squared off against a motherfucking Borat

Jimothy on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is what I thought I saw.

Jimothy on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I done heard Borat's gonna be Sherlock Holmes. And Frank the Tank's gonna be Watson.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did you get any bitchin' defensive scars?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So you're telling me you saw this?

297108.jpg

Because that would be terrifying.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't a house cat?

once when i was hihgh i made that mistake

but man even when i came down that cat was pretty big

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This story was actually... pretty disappointing.

You go back out there and find that cat. And don't come back until you have its head.

Vann Diras on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There was this really loud, obnoxious British guy at a house party across the street from me last night and at one point somebody got drunk enough to decide that shooting the British guy with a firework on July 4th would be somewhat fitting.

Only they shot him in the leg with a mortar. D:

Weaver on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Weaver wrote: »
    There was this really loud, obnoxious British guy at a house party across the street from me last night and at one point somebody got drunk enough to decide that shooting the British guy with a firework on July 4th would be somewhat fitting.

Was he wounded

Did you dump his tea/liquor into the sea/gutter

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »

Was he wounded

Did you dump his tea/liquor into the sea/gutter

I was out in the street setting off fireworks with my stepson when it happened. The mortar didn't explode until after it bounced off his leg though so he probably just has really deep bruising.

Weaver on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Awesome

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RocketScience on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

That'll teach limey to show some respect on America's Birthday.

7/4/76 NEVA FORGET!

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, so I was out in Alaska briefly about 8 years ago and found myself faced with a bear.

Punched it in the nose i did. Right in the fucking snout.

It lumbered off thinking "fuck, that guy is a dick"

none of that is true

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If there's no body it didnt' happen.

Ruckus on
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    . . . Beside the door is some old-ass Ninja sword my Barry picked up years ago, its not even decently sharp, but fuck it . . .

so im assuming you guys are real close

tugga on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    one time I fought the law

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited July 2008
    Were you victorious?

MKR on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    no :(

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    . . . Beside the door is some old-ass Ninja sword my Barry picked up years ago, its not even decently sharp, but fuck it . . .

this is what i laughed at

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tugga wrote: »

This sent up a flag in my head as I read as well.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    don't you have a Barry?

Prolegomena on
  • Tim-OTim-O Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Usually a healthy bobcat/mountain lion won't let you see it before it's on you. So it sounds like this one may have been hurt or something. I saw a mountain lion once in the wild, and they are freaking scary.

Tim-O on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    a bobcat and a mountain lion aren't the same thing.

The primary difference is a mountain lion is about three times as big and it would have been behind you on a rooftop, taking careful aim at your neck while deciding in exactly which manner it was going to show you calvinball isn't really a very fun game.

JohnnyCache on
  • cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kimo-wig.jpg

cherv1 on