As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need an Avatar Rotator

Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I want an avatar roator but can't seem to find one that will work for PA. Does anyone know of any that will work?

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
Dr.Funkenstein on

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're talking about the forum, which is powered by vBulletin, there is a plug-in that apparently lets you do this, but I believe you'd need an admin to do that. As it is, I don't think you can do it.

If you're talking about a different PA or PA thing, then I have no idea whatsoever, so please excuse this post.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    If you're talking about the forum, which is powered by vBulletin, there is a plug-in that apparently lets you do this, but I believe you'd need an admin to do that. As it is, I don't think you can do it.

If you're talking about a different PA or PA thing, then I have no idea whatsoever, so please excuse this post.

I think he's talking about using a rotating avatar on this forum.

If I recall, people have to kind of trick the forums into allowing them a rotating sig or avatar, but I don't remember all the details.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Excellent, so I didn't misunderstand (possibly misworded my post, though). *tips hat appreciatively*

Cyvros on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually I think this would be really annoying.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

It'd also be inconvenient if, like me, you use avatars in addition to usernames and sigs to identify people.

Of course, as it is, that's absolutely no use if people don't have avatars to start with...

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

It'd also be inconvenient if, like me, you use avatars in addition to usernames and sigs to identify people.

Of course, as it is, that's absolutely no use if people don't have avatars to start with...

Quite a few people on the PA forums have it. Some have it set to a slower rotation, and some higher.

Alpha and his many hats is a great example of the rotator in action... was it really that annoying?

LaOs on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

Quite a few people on the PA forums have it. Some have it set to a slower rotation, and some higher.

Alpha and his many hats is a great example of the rotator in action... was it really that annoying?

Annoying if the avatars were completely different. If there's a theme then fine.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't find it annoying if, as Willeth said, there's a theme, as there is with Alphamonkey (whose avs, I might add, I enjoy). Actually, I like how he's done his rotating av.

When I think of an avatar rotator, I think of the people who have literally random images - lolcats, CDs, scenes from fairly sucky TV series, etc. Alpha's avs have broken my assumptions.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, okay, but this isn't at all the thread that this started as from the OP.

OP, I still know nothing about this, but you may want to PM Alpha for help, as his clearly works... but he's busy. I know Medopine, from D&D, recently got one working, albiet slowly rotating, and some other people helped her in the [Chat] thread when she was looking to figure it out. I can't remember who helped, but I know for a fact that she has a rotating Av that works on these forums.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I looked at Alpha's profile and I think he's doing it by linking to an external PNG that's randomised with this bit of PHP. Since I don't know PHP, I have no idea how the file actually works.

Cyvros on