As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

.hack Series: Come on...I'm right here...

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    I think people here have hit the nail on the head.

First series has a more interesting and compelling story but the gameplay really lacks.

Second series has fun gameplay but a much more boring story.

Right there with you. Story in the first series was good enough to keep me playing, despite that it was the same dungeon crawl over and over with bullshit magic/physical-proof enemies and 'have the item sack ready' strategy. I had more fun playing the second series, but I have a harder time remembering the bullet points.

On the whole it's a series I want to love and recommend unconditionally, because it's a good spin on the same RPG song and dance and the extra stuff scratched my obsessive-compulsive itch pretty well. I'd pay $texas for some kind of side story or between-mission element where you step away from the desk and get to mill around 'offline', maybe even doing some hands-on detective work finding out what happened to your friend or digging up the company's dirt.

As-is, it was good enough for me to go through all the games and do (almost) all the ancillary stuff, but just good enough.

Yeah but sadly they left that up to the DVDs packaged in with every game :(
    Wow I could not disagree any more.

Kite was a pretty paperthin cliche of a character. Haseo was way more interesting on many levels. Especially once you sit down and think about his background.
    This is seriously mega spoilers about Haseo
    Seriously
    I mean Haseo is actually a teenage Sora who was mind crushed and hospitalized after getting fucked over in The World R1, so his parents give him R2 to play when he recovered in the hospital. Then later he meets Ovan and Shino and prompty gets punched in the gut again by Ovan and Azure Kite.

And yet despite getting screwed over hundreds of times he is still a total bad ass.

More RPGs need a main character who is just a flat out bad ass like Haseo the no crap taking, ass kicking, fuck the girly emo stuff, awesome man of a main character.

Yep, Haseo is a complete badass, and thats why he makes a good main character, he just doesnt care about things, its awesome.
    But it's not even that. Haseo does care about things but he knows that in order to SAVE THE WORLD 'he ain't got time to be a pussy'.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

First series has a more interesting and compelling story but the gameplay really lacks.

Right there with you. Story in the first series was good enough to keep me playing, despite that it was the same dungeon crawl over and over with bullshit magic/physical-proof enemies and 'have the item sack ready' strategy. I had more fun playing the second series, but I have a harder time remembering the bullet points.

On the whole it's a series I want to love and recommend unconditionally, because it's a good spin on the same RPG song and dance and the extra stuff scratched my obsessive-compulsive itch pretty well. I'd pay $texas for some kind of side story or between-mission element where you step away from the desk and get to mill around 'offline', maybe even doing some hands-on detective work finding out what happened to your friend or digging up the company's dirt.

As-is, it was good enough for me to go through all the games and do (almost) all the ancillary stuff, but just good enough.

Kite was a pretty paperthin cliche of a character. Haseo was way more interesting on many levels. Especially once you sit down and think about his background.
    Seriously
    I mean Haseo is actually a teenage Sora who was mind crushed and hospitalized after getting fucked over in The World R1, so his parents give him R2 to play when he recovered in the hospital. Then later he meets Ovan and Shino and prompty gets punched in the gut again by Ovan and Azure Kite.

And yet despite getting screwed over hundreds of times he is still a total bad ass.

More RPGs need a main character who is just a flat out bad ass like Haseo the no crap taking, ass kicking, fuck the girly emo stuff, awesome man of a main character.

Yep, Haseo is a complete badass, and thats why he makes a good main character, he just doesnt care about things, its awesome.
    But it's not even that. Haseo does care about things but he knows that in order to SAVE THE WORLD 'he ain't got time to be a pussy'.

Yeah until you know
    the inevitable change of heart and him becoming such a nice guy

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited July 2008

Seriously

Yeah until you know
    the inevitable change of heart and him becoming such a nice guy
    He still had his bad ass moments even after that.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Luckily for me Im a leveling whore in all games I play so I dont ever have problems, and with G.U. its so easy to level up that I couldnt help but destroy everything, I loved the constant level ups I was getting so I just kept on going and going until i was maxed and everything died easy :(

Ah. While grinding IS actually pretty fun here (Mostly because you gain levels so fast if pick the right area level. I now wonder how CC Corp. stays in business with an MMO that has such fast leveling, I guess the whole, "R2 is for PKing" thing is true after all) I generally try to stay the same level as everything the plot throws at me, though it's trickier with the tournament ad the last area because they don't give you any obvious recommended levels until you actually start fighting. It's not a big deal with most arena opponents, though, because you can usually get away with being 2 or 3 levels below, but the exponential way levels work make it nigh-ipossible to do anything lower. Beating Endrance at such a low level was a total fluke, I admit. I just ran from him and used counter attacks when he tried a skill.
    If they didn't fling you into the avatar battle after getting him down to half-health I would have been FUCKED. Thankfully in spite of their supposed level-based nature avatar battles are piss easy. Do those EVER get challenging?

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    Luckily for me Im a leveling whore in all games I play so I dont ever have problems, and with G.U. its so easy to level up that I couldnt help but destroy everything, I loved the constant level ups I was getting so I just kept on going and going until i was maxed and everything died easy :(

Ah. While grinding IS actually pretty fun here (Mostly because you gain levels so fast if pick the right area level. I now wonder how CC Corp. stays in business with an MMO that has such fast leveling, I guess the whole, "R2 is for PKing" thing is true after all) I generally try to stay the same level as everything the plot throws at me, though it's trickier with the tournament ad the last area because they don't give you any obvious recommended levels until you actually start fighting. It's not a big deal with most arena opponents, though, because you can usually get away with being 2 or 3 levels below, but the exponential way levels work make it nigh-ipossible to do anything lower. Beating Endrance at such a low level was a total fluke, I admit. I just ran from him and used counter attacks when he tried a skill.
    If they didn't fling you into the avatar battle after getting him down to half-health I would have been FUCKED. Thankfully in spite of their supposed level-based nature avatar battles are piss easy. Do those EVER get challenging?

Yeah, in Vol.3
    Sakaki's Thunderbird form is pretty difficult.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited July 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Yeah, in Vol.3

Lol yeah theyre pretty easy, but there are definitely a couple hard ones...or one...either way, it really depends on how that boss is feeling at the time because I remember...
    fighting Pi's form and once I got it low enough it just dashed around and I was unable to hit in and literally finished the fight with less than 1 second on the clock, and then my friend did it and she didnt even fucking move, but then he did it again later for the wallpaper and lost a couple times because of her erratic movement! Its insane man lol.

mastrius on
    edited July 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Yeah, in Vol.3

Lol yeah theyre pretty easy, but there are definitely a couple hard ones...or one...either way, it really depends on how that boss is feeling at the time because I remember...
    fighting Pi's form and once I got it low enough it just dashed around and I was unable to hit in and literally finished the fight with less than 1 second on the clock, and then my friend did it and she didnt even fucking move, but then he did it again later for the wallpaper and lost a couple times because of her erratic movement! Its insane man lol.
    Heh, when I fought her all she did was move for a second, then start charging up an attack. I had X held from the beginning, so the moment she stopped to charge it I just let loose and that did the trick.

EDIT: Jesus, I must be getting tired or something.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
    edited July 2008
    Lucky bastard >.>

mastrius on
    edited July 2008
    Also, I love Haseo's rape face when
    he sicced Skeith on Bordeux's gang.
    I wish there was an in-game wallpaper of THAT.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I switched my desktop music to Hulle Granz. Such a soothing song. Now I'm tempted to get the G.U. soundtrack...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just making an obligatory post here. Granted, the sig is a bit dated; I've finished G.U. 1 and 2, but haven't started 3 yet.

But I guess I should actually contribute something of worth to the thread, so I'll say that I have a strange relationship with .hack. It always ends up disappointing me, and I always come back for more. I watch the anime and I play the games. They have some really cool ideas in there, but it always ends up failing in a lot of ways too. I think I enjoy the concept more than the execution, and I always come back to see if it can redeem itself. I guess this is what it's like to be in an abusive relationship.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
  • Myself980Myself980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to be weird here and admit I played the first 4 but didn't bother with the last three. This probably has something to do with the fact that I didn't buy any of them. My brother got the first four and then promptly abandoned them due to it's difficulty. About a year ago ,with nothing better to do, I dedicated the 60-80 hours needed to beat the story, throughout all of them.

The combat is indeed repetitive at best, and deeply frustrating at worst (friggin' paralyzing Lichs, using all my status healers...). the ally AI is also very annoying unless you're willing to micromanage and deal with a lot of crap. Healers go down like whores on payday.

The story was alright, but I was a bit in the dark for not knowing in the back story. which led to conversations like:
    Me: Who is this asshole?
    Brother: That's Harald.
    Me: Do I have to kill him?
    Brother: Well, he designed Alma and then made
    to protect her, but then the-
    Me: Good or bad?
    Brother: Good-ish. He made the bad guy when he programmed the Guardian -
    Me: Alright then. Well meaning dick. No kill-ee.

Myself980 on
    Bad command or cheese. Abort/Retry/French?
    edited July 2008
    The book store in my mall was having a clearance sale, and I was able to pick up all 4 volumes of Another Birth for $20. Should keep me busy for a bit reading wise.

EDIT: Title change because I keep on hearing it in my head.

EDIT 2: In the Arena tournament, Kite just
    awakened his Avatar. What a badass/totally creepy scene. The look on his face...it gives me shivers.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited July 2008
    Oh god..

REGENKI! GALE BLADE!
    REGENKI! GALE BLADE!
    REGENKI! GALE BLADE!
    REGENKI! GALE BLADE!
    REGENKI! GALE BLADE!

Just when I thought it was gone you just had to bring it back..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2008
    Haha, you have no idea how glad I was when I learned Sparrow Counter.

"Finally, some kind of variety!"

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm Interesting

CaffeinatedGuy on
    brick_bow_banner.png
    edited July 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Haha, you have no idea how glad I was when I learned Sparrow Counter.

"Finally, some kind of variety!"

Ironically, I think Gale Blade is still better overall so I kept using it.

Sparrow counter IS very useful for those goddamned birds, however.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to be a huge fan of .hack, I only go to episode 18 of the original series before something happened and I was unable to finish. Since then I haven't taken the time to get back into it and there's just so much of it now.

Regicid3 on
    edited July 2008
    I think if anyone wants to get into .hack they can definitely start with GU. It's separate enough that you don't need to have watched the past shows.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My ideal combination for understanding would be.

Watch .hack SIGN
    Play or read up on the original four games.
    Read up and or ignore the GU anime.
    Play the last three games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2008
    My ideal combination for understanding would be.

Watch .hack SIGN
    Play or read up on the original four games.
    Read up and or ignore the GU anime.
    Play the last three games.
    You need to at least read a summary of the GU anime because the game assumes you are familiar with Shino and Ovan and all that.

I'd say the best way to catch up on the past four games with out playing them is by watching the terminal disk that came with the special edition of vol 1 of GU. Sums up the whole series in about an hour to an hour half.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the stupid conversations in Sign but I cannot stand the GU anime. It starts out too damn slow. I couldn't keep my eyes open in the first ten episodes or so.

But yeah, Terminal Disk does rule greatly. One could probably find a lot of that stuff on Youtube.

I also forgot watch Liminality in the first list, but that doesn't take too long nor does it add too much.

SIGN is absolutely vital though to both games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2008
    Awww
    Haseo saved Pi. It's amusing that he's a big jerk to her, but hopefully now they'll at least somewhat get along.

Also, add me to the people who want The World to be made in a true online game. I think it could be done without deviating too much from the games, and I bet there could be a way to have it something like Guild Wars, where areas are instances, and thus, no monthly fees.

Of course, everyone would just want to be an Adept Rogue or Twin Blade...I'd personally go for either a Tribal Grappler or Steam Gunner. Gun swords are awesome.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    If they ever did a World mmo they would need to also make all the hacking and system stuff actually in too. Maybe like a specialization where you could either become really powerful straight up like Haseo did or be a hacker like Tri-Edge.

Would be pretty cool to have a sort of dual world system where you have the front end of the World game and all the behind the scenes server areas and stuff like that from the games.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I LOVE .hack, Im a huge fan, its really good and Ive played all the games, I like the stories, and also, gamewise, G.U. is definitely the best, but those other 4 are also great...the amount of time I put into them...omg. lol, but yeah Im a big ol fan ^^

I love this post so much.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I LOVE .hack, Im a huge fan, its really good and Ive played all the games, I like the stories, and also, gamewise, G.U. is definitely the best, but those other 4 are also great...the amount of time I put into them...omg. lol, but yeah Im a big ol fan ^^

sigh

I like .hack too. :|

Renzo on
    edited July 2008
    I think the best way to introduce the weird stuff would be to do it somewhat subtly. An occasional locked area here, some strange textures/enemies there. And then to have a rumor board like in the game so players can find out about these things and investigate it themselves.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

sigh

I like .hack too. :|

It's okay

There are always people to make you feel bad about your taste in something

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited July 2008
    Okay...let's not turn this into something bad.

Anyway, I'm loving using the big two handed swords. I swing, things die.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think the best way to introduce the weird stuff would be to do it somewhat subtly. An occasional locked area here, some strange textures/enemies there. And then to have a rumor board like in the game so players can find out about these things and investigate it themselves.

It would be interesting if they did something like this, but had two different levels of 'hacking.' Everyone expects some sort of hacking aspect if there is ever a real MMO made, so they would basically be forced to include it. The problem is that all the twilight incident stuff and things like that weren't really encountered by the average player. So basically, I think it would be fun if they made it fairly easy to access all the basic 'hacking' stuff like virus cores and such, but had a deeper things that would be much harder for players to discover and worth keeping a secret from the general public.

The "real" hacking could follow a different storyline not necessarily seen in the .hack games; it would better emulate the feeling of what players were experiencing in the games/shows and feel less scripted. Things like this would have to have an element of chance and not be something easily replicated by every single player.

Does this idea make sense? Basically, keep everyone happy with some basic hacking, but add more mystery to the game that the average player probably isn't going to know anything/everything about.

Skelly B on
    edited July 2008

A really great trick is to hold the guard button (Until you actually guard) right after the hit connects. Your swinging animation will be interrupted, and you can swing again right after you let go of guard.

Combining that trick with the fact that Broadswords let you hit downed enemies makes it really easy to increase your combo number and Rengeki stuff, even better than Dual Swords let you IMO. (I hear they made Dual Swords way better in Vol. 2 by changing and speeding up their attack animation. Can't tell you yet because it's still coming to me in the mail.)

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
    edited July 2008

Stay on the lookout for NPCs who have ___ Text (Beginner's Text, for example) for trade and keep some semi-valuable items on you so you can trade for them.

Using Texts will add experience to your weapon levels, allowing you to earn weapon skills quicker. This becomes a concern once you get your Great Sword, and moreso when you get the scythe and then Dual Guns.

Renzo on
    edited July 2008
    Oh shi--I think there's someone with the Beginner's Text that runs around the town. I need to look for her.

(Also, I just ordered volume 2 and 3 off Amazon, woo.)

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Skelly B wrote: »

It would be interesting if they did something like this, but had two different levels of 'hacking.' Everyone expects some sort of hacking aspect if there is ever a real MMO made, so they would basically be forced to include it. The problem is that all the twilight incident stuff and things like that weren't really encountered by the average player. So basically, I think it would be fun if they made it fairly easy to access all the basic 'hacking' stuff like virus cores and such, but had a deeper things that would be much harder for players to discover and worth keeping a secret from the general public.

The "real" hacking could follow a different storyline not necessarily seen in the .hack games; it would better emulate the feeling of what players were experiencing in the games/shows and feel less scripted. Things like this would have to have an element of chance and not be something easily replicated by every single player.

Does this idea make sense? Basically, keep everyone happy with some basic hacking, but add more mystery to the game that the average player probably isn't going to know anything/everything about.

Not sure if they changed it in //GU but in the first game (is it really 4 games or just one game on 4 discs?) they talk about a locked area, then you gate hack it and there's a message on the board saying to the effect "I don't know what you guys are talking about, I was able to access the field. Maybe they fixed it?"

While I agree that it would be cool for the World to be real, to get something similar to what happened in the game (where only a few are in the know and the rest are just clueless or victims) would have to take a lot of work.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love .hack//G.U., but not so much the original series. I played the first two volumes of G.U. and then I bought the first volume of the original games, and it was such a step back I just couldn't get into it. Anyways, I still have the third volume to beat, so I'm looking forward to running through that.

Here's hoping CyberConnect2 will make another .hack series on current platforms (360 and/or PS3). I'd love to see The World on those machines. There hasn't been any word on another series, has there?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited July 2008
    There haven't been any new .hack games announced as far as I know. If the new Naruto game is any indication, they could do some amazing things with a new .hack game.

Renzo on
    edited July 2008
    G.U. is already a really pretty looking game. I can just imagine what they could do for a next-gen game. And considering how huge the franchise is, I think it's inevitable that a new set of games will come out.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    I would bet they are working on a new .hack right now and just haven't made it public yet.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wouldn't we have to wait for a new anime first?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Roots was going when GU vol 1 came out so you probably wont hear anything for a while.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!