As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

People who think they know more than they do....

JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster KittehRegistered User regular
One of my family members is a real do-it-yourself type- won't ask for help with anything, especially with computers. This morning, her computer couldn't connect to the net. So, instead of asking me to fix it, she's begun to dig around, changing everything she can to make the internet connect again. Every time I offer to help, she throws a fit and tells me to leave her alone.

At the rate things are going, I forsee a massive computer repair bill caused by the OS freezing up and corrupting. How the hell do I convince her to let me look at it and to stop fucking around with stuff she has no knowledge about, and more importantly, how do I teach her she needs to take the PC in or let me fix it instead of trying to fix it herself?

steam_sig.png
I can has cheezburger, yes?
JaysonFour on

• CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the flip side she'll never learn anything if you don't let her do it herself. Offer to teach instead of just offering to "fix" it?
    Some people just don't like asking for help. If that doesn't work dig around and give her some manuals it will speed up the learning process.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It took my family 5 years to realize I knew more about computers than they thought, and even let me look at their computers when they had a problem. so, you have a long wait, probably :P
    until then, their unhelpable.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My friend, sit back and enjoy it. Because once your family realises you can fix all their computer woes you'll never hear the end of it. Family members and their friends will no longer treat you as a friend or family but as tech support. Expect phone calls and call-ins to help for even the most menial of things, and because you're family you'll get next nothing in return.

Savour this time JaysonFour, savour it.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    My friend, sit back and enjoy it. Because once your family realises you can fix all their computer woes you'll never hear the end of it. Family members and their friends will no longer treat you as a friend or family but as tech support. Expect phone calls and call-ins to help for even the most menial of things, and because you're family you'll get next nothing in return.

Saviour this time JaysonFour, saviour it.

This. You should be glad your family isn't constantly bothering you, asking for help putting in a DVD or resetting the VCR.

Also, "savour", not "saviour".

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Back-up her data, make sure you have an XP install and/or repair disk, and just let her go for it. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him to fish, etc.

As long as shes not hard resetting, things shouldn't get corrupted.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »

Saviour this time JaysonFour, saviour it.

This. You should be glad your family isn't constantly bothering you, asking for help putting in a DVD or resetting the VCR.

Also, "savour", not "saviour".

Damnit, I knew I was spelling it wrong. I was thinking, "saviour, huh.. it's not the messiah.. maybe savior, still not the messiah"..

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ...I have to set the clocks on everything every time the power goes out. In addition to being only one of two people in the house who can run the DVD player.

...I'm going to make some little instruction sheets for everything, laminate them, and possibly crazy-glue them near the devices in question. Learning to change a DVD in the player for another one isn't as hard as some people in this house think it is.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My mom is just like this. She was going on a trip and on this trip she was going to pick up some lego for my younger brother. I took a hi-res photo of the pieces he needed and sent it to her computer via Bluetooth at the same time she was importing several lower-res photos of the same thing via cable. I told her "but mom, accept the Bluetooth request, it's faster and has a better resolution."

"MY COMPUTER CAN'T HANDLE THAT AND THIS AT THE SAME TIME"

She uses an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook that was bought earlier this year. The extent of her usage is e-mail and other variants of word processing.

I wanted to say "no, you stupid bitch, the computer can handle it, but I certainly doubt your feeble mind can". Ugh, technology is supposed to aid productivity, not scare women in their fourties. Sometimes I hate my mom.

Senshi on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...I have to set the clocks on everything every time the power goes out. In addition to being only one of two people in the house who can run the DVD player.

...I'm going to make some little instruction sheets for everything, laminate them, and possibly crazy-glue them near the devices in question. Learning to change a DVD in the player for another one isn't as hard as some people in this house think it is.

No, that just cements the devices in question as being powere by Mystical Voodoo and if something ever goes wrong during the ancient rituals inscribed on the laminated tablets, they'll be totally lost.

Either try to fix their incompetence through teaching, or stop fixing stuff and just bite your tongue. As GrimReaper pointed out, their reliance on you will be horrible should they discover you can fix computers.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I personally know a lot more than I know.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

No, that just cements the devices in question as being powere by Mystical Voodoo and if something ever goes wrong during the ancient rituals inscribed on the laminated tablets, they'll be totally lost.

Either try to fix their incompetence through teaching, or stop fixing stuff and just bite your tongue. As GrimReaper pointed out, their reliance on you will be horrible should they discover you can fix computers.

I have taught my parents to power cycle the cable modem and router, in that order, when the internet "stops working". That has saved me a lot of phone calls, however I still get a call from time to time "I powercycled it and it still doesn't work YOU SAID THAT WOULD FIX IT HOW DO I FIX IT!?!?!?".

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

I have taught my parents to power cycle the cable modem and router, in that order, when the internet "stops working". That has saved me a lot of phone calls, however I still get a call from time to time "I powercycled it and it still doesn't work YOU SAID THAT WOULD FIX IT HOW DO I FIX IT!?!?!?".
    Do those calls come from a cell phone during power outages?

KalTorak on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One of my family members is a real do-it-yourself type- won't ask for help with anything, especially with computers. This morning, her computer couldn't connect to the net. So, instead of asking me to fix it, she's begun to dig around, changing everything she can to make the internet connect again. Every time I offer to help, she throws a fit and tells me to leave her alone.

At the rate things are going, I forsee a massive computer repair bill caused by the OS freezing up and corrupting. How the hell do I convince her to let me look at it and to stop fucking around with stuff she has no knowledge about, and more importantly, how do I teach her she needs to take the PC in or let me fix it instead of trying to fix it herself?

How about you let her mess with her own damn computer as much as she damn well pleases.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So much truth

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If anyone ever asks you if you know anything about computers, the response is always "not really."

zanetheinsane on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah - I was getting calls from my friends' parents for a short while before I put my foot down. I don't do tech support for anyone. ANYONE.

I feel sorry for my best friend. He's fixing his brother's computer for like the fifth time.

Nova_C on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bigwah wrote: »

So much truth

we really need a way to double lime on the forums.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My father can fix most things.

Computers though? This is the one area I can pretty much run circles around him in.

He doesn't quite get this yet. Once I had a mac emulator so I could play Escape Velocity on our old computer. The computer was old and beginning to break. My father decided the correct response was to try to delete the emulator, but instead he ended up deleting all of my save files and leaving the emulator there. His reasoning? "The computer's trying to be a mac, but it's not a mac, so that's why it was breaking".

He still has the gut reaction to format whenever anything goes wrong with the computer. Anything. At all. A few months ago he reformatted and reinstalled Windows every week for maybe 2 months.

Also he gives helpful advice like "Well you left your computer on all night, it probably overheated".

Sometimes it's nice that I'm never bothered with tech support by my mother or him. On the other hand my sister has learned it's probably best to come to me with computer problems, and it's a lot nicer to fix "It's broken!" than "Well I reformatted and it still won't work without the Power supply in there".

Also I overheard a lady going into a fit because the computer was plugged in and she didn't want to burn out the battery by having it plugged in like that all the time. Of course, I've heard a billion different myths about batteries, from people thinking Li-ion batteries work like the Ni-Cad batteries.

Khavall on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    My father can fix most things.

Computers though? This is the one area I can pretty much run circles around him in.

He doesn't quite get this yet. Once I had a mac emulator so I could play Escape Velocity on our old computer. The computer was old and beginning to break. My father decided the correct response was to try to delete the emulator, but instead he ended up deleting all of my save files and leaving the emulator there. His reasoning? "The computer's trying to be a mac, but it's not a mac, so that's why it was breaking".

He still has the gut reaction to format whenever anything goes wrong with the computer. Anything. At all. A few months ago he reformatted and reinstalled Windows every week for maybe 2 months.

Also he gives helpful advice like "Well you left your computer on all night, it probably overheated".

Sometimes it's nice that I'm never bothered with tech support by my mother or him. On the other hand my sister has learned it's probably best to come to me with computer problems, and it's a lot nicer to fix "It's broken!" than "Well I reformatted and it still won't work without the Power supply in there".

Also I overheard a lady going into a fit because the computer was plugged in and she didn't want to burn out the battery by having it plugged in like that all the time.

I don't think it's uncommon for fathers to be like that. Mine does that all the time. Most fathers are used to being handy fix-it dudes, but computers are a far cry from plunging a toilet or wallpapering a room. Some dads have a hard time biting their tongues and realizing that they can't be masters at everything. If someone's dad is really handy and also has a hard time understanding computers, I typically use comparisons to household stuff.

For example, you could have said something along the lines of 'not re-wiring the house if a lightbulb blew out, so don't reformat the hard drive just because you got one error'. Sounds silly, but it works if you can compare computers to someone's forté.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My dad designed retail price scanning systems for stores. You have seen them. Today.
    Complex stuff right?

But explain to him how to get a movie from DVD to the AppleTV? impossible.

I just opened up the remote admin port on his router and turned on vnc on his desktop. Now I can fix it without even having to pick up a phone (they live a few states away from me)

useless4 on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite part is that if you fix something once, anything that goes wrong with it in the future is your fault and your responsibility.

Uncle Long on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    My favorite part is that if you fix something once, anything that goes wrong with it in the future is your fault and your responsibility.

Yea, it's a slippery slope.

I will still do support for people, but I charge now. The only people I don't charge for are my parents, a couple of my aunts, and my girlfriend's computer and her parent's computer.(although my girlfriend will "pay" me in other ways :winky: ).

I don't charge as much as you'd have to pay if you take it to Best Buy or wherever, but at least by saying up front my rate, it gets people at least to think twice about immediately calling me again.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Most people I help with stuff are nice enough but one family, I just let suffer. Like Uncle Long said, if I touch anything, if it breaks any time in the future it's all my fault. One time I checked my email on their machine and 2 days later, the cable internet went out at their house. I got this pissed off phone call ("WHAT DID YOU DO TO OUR COMPUTER IT'S ALL BROKEN! YOU'RE ALWAYS TOUCHING MORE THAN YOU SHOULD!"). I shit you not. I've never done anything to any of their stuff, I've always been super-helpful and nice. Oh, and a tree had fallen on the line. I never got an apology.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

So much truth

I'm going to go with bigger.

EDIT: Hmm. Apparently we can't make text bigger anymore?

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The worst thing is the person who knows just enough to be dangerous.

The people that kind of know what is going on with computers.

They know simplified basics, so that when something goes wrong, they kind of know where to start, and will muck around, but often end up fucking things up even more.

It's like a friend of mine.. he kind of knew how to build PCs a few years ago. So he started building an Athlon T-bird box, you know, the CPU that gets hot as hell within a split second?

Well, he started building his PC. But after putting in the CPU and Ram and hooking up the PSU, he thought it'd be a good time to "test" the thing to see if it recognized the CPU.

This is before he puts the Heatsink+Fan onto it.

Why didn't he put one on first? Because, he conjured from his lack of experience, that if he ran the machine for only a few seconds to see if it recognized the CPU, it wouldn't get hot enough to cause damage.

So he turns it on, and instantaneously it starts literally smoking. As the old T-bird Athlons did when you turned them on without a HSF.

Had to buy a new CPU and motherboard after that.

Why didn't I stop him? He was doing this at his own home by himself at the time. He told me the whole story the next day...

slash000 on
  • .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So much truth

This X 1000

It gets kind of annoying because now, instead of trying to learn to do it by themselves, they just ask me to do it. I always tell them that I won't be around forever but they never listen.

.kbf? on
  • HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    .kbf? wrote: »

So much truth

This X 1000

It gets kind of annoying because now, instead of trying to learn to do it by themselves, they just ask me to do it. I always tell them that I won't be around forever but they never listen.

My cousin asked me to call him about something last night. So I called him, long distance mind you. His question is how you clean out cookies on a computer. I called somebody long distance to tell them how to delete their cookies, because apparently a quick google search is too much to ask.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
    edited July 2008
    "Well, Coz, I don't know how much I can help you if you don't have the golden cookie sheet of Odin."

Uncle Long on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We can all just hope and pray that our parents are the last generation to be so ignorant.

My damn mother still buys a new computer every time hers gets bogged down with spyware after a year or so. Still uses internet explorer and Norton. :x

TL DR on
  • QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Again for emphasis. I just spent 3 hours attempting to recover my dad's corrupted laptop, and failing that, backing up as much of his data as possible. I'm going to start charging them soon. :x

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We can all just hope and pray that our parents are the last generation to be so ignorant.

My damn mother still buys a new computer every time hers gets bogged down with spyware after a year or so. Still uses internet explorer and Norton. :x

Actually while we'll probably not like those newfangled cars that fly themselves and at any point could crash you into a wall, technology has been advancing so fast during the time that we've been growing up and living that we probably will in general be better at adjusting to technology as it continues to advance.

Khavall on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    you know, a person can't make you help them. I don't help people unless they're willing to sit through me explaining to them what happened. I'll also write down instructions to make sure it doesn't happen again. then if it does, they feel like idiots and realize it's their own fault.

when my mom got her new headset for her phone I told her either she could read the manual with me and watch me set it up or do it herself. if she's going to be using it every time she's in the car she might as well know how to deal with the setup in case something ever happens. she did it herself and whenever I see her with it (which is almost always) it's a little victory for me. I may not have taught her how to do it, but I taught her something far more valuable... technology is not scary, and we are actually smarter than machines!

edit - and I also taught her to RTFM.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If only I had thought of this before I decided to get into computers:

20040507h.gif

In actuality, though, I've done a pretty good job of training my parents. Those initial years were rough, though.

ASimPerson on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So.... I go out for a burger and a beer with a friend, and after I get home, guess who I find going through my old obsolete computer books? Of course, now she also has some news for me:

"JaysonFour, I think I killed Microsoft Office. None of my coupon lists will open."

As in, my writing, some old papers I did, nearly the entire load of coursework for that video game class they don't offer any more... I don't know why she felt the need to tinker with it, but I sure hope my stuff's not corrupted.

Of course, I told her it was okay and then gathered up every computer book I have and locked them in a foot-locker, all the while running every Simpsons episode I've seen where Homer chokes Bart through my mind, with her taking Bart's place and me Homer's.

Anyways, I got my sister to agree with me that A) This person should never have tried to fix it themselves, and B) the only thing that'll save this old dinosaur from the junkheap is a professional repair job or a new computer in general. All because she wanted to play Miss Fix-It. No matter what, she's getting the User setting so she can't dick around any more where she's not qualified to.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    It sounds to me like she knew how important all of your data was and felt so terrible that she had broken it that she tried to do what little kids do when they break an expensive vase; get out the glue and make it worse.

She probably feels incredibly terrible.

Uncle Long on
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    o_O You have a really weird need to be right.

Unless she's rapidly turning the computer on and off, or unplugging the hard drive during the middle of a defrag, or dumping a bag of magnets into the case and giving it a shake there's nothing she can do to corrupt your data.

The worse thing she can do is fubar windows and hence lose your files, but in terms of the health of the computer? Nothing a reformat can't fix.

Just back up your stuff and let her have at it. It's something she wants to do, and in the long run she'll be wiser for it.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    After reading this thread:

A: Why aren't files you don't want to lose on a CD somewhere? Your bad for not having backups

B: Professional repair or new computer because she tinkers? Your files corrupted because office isn't installed correctly? o_O Hiding your computer books from her? She obviously doesn't want to be a standard end user, so why are you so bent on forcing her to be? FYI that'll never work, just accept what's going on and do your best to help her learn. You should have just said "oops you messed up office, just reinstall it" instead of trying to instill fear of the magical computer voodoo gods in her. I actually say kudos to the fact that she's not afraid of her computer.

I kept the windows CD next to my computer when I was a noob. I used to fuck things up every day or two. I learned to put my files somewhere safe and take it for granted that what was on my OS drive was temporary. Seriously if it's her computer and she fucks with it this much the best thing to do it to teach her how to reinstall the operating system and let her have at it. Oh and get shit you want to keep off of there.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OP:

I don't mean to sound snide but if you think your only two options are a "professional repair job with a massive repair bill" or "a new computer in general" then maybe you're the one who thinks you know more than you do? :P

Sounds like you've since moved on from the computer you're talking about and you have your own rig, if that's the case why haven't you migrated all your stuff?

W2 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    computer illeterate people are funny.

mom: ok wheres this file we just downloaded
    me: its on your desktop
    mom: *opens up the c drive and starts looking through folders
    mom: wheres the desktop?
    me: close out of that window
    mom: whats a window?

i laughed for a whole week.

i also tried to install software for her once... u know all those screens where you just click next? she spent a minute on each of them and yelled at me when i just clicked through them all.

my entire family is tech smart though so we take turns laughing at our tech dumb parents.

fun times.

Dunadan019 on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't charge family. And I actually enjoy building new rigs for family members.
    Friends I charge in booze, that way, when they call me again, I can say I'm drunk.
    Other random people, I tell them I'll either have to charge them for my time. They usually give up after that. These are usually friends of the friends that I make buy me booze for my efforts.

I have this one friend that I'm constantly having to do work for. He can use his computer, and he thinks he can do other things to it. However, when he does these things, he breaks things. He likes to just add new hard drives at will. Some of these contain OSes already on them. He doesn't format them. He'll switch cables around. Then wonders why he gets a bunch of errors. I hate his computers. Actually, I think it may just be his house. I took my recording PC over there to record his band this past weekend. Everything worked fine when I left my house. When I got there, hooked everything up, nope. Channel 1 was coming out on channel 9, 2 on 10, and 3 through 8 weren't coming in at all.
    He pays in decent beer though so I don't mind going over there every few months to correct whatever he's fouled up since last time.

Bolthorn on