As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
paa_win.jpg

We're a little island, but we have a lot of heart. We also have so many bargains, and we're passing the savings onto you! God knows we need them.

GOOZEX EUROPE NOW OPEN
Goozex, the game trading website, is now available to Europeans. You can sign up by clicking this bit of interactive text.
Basically, you offer your games for a points value. Once you have accrued enough points, you can use them to buy games from other users. Best thing - the trade-in value for games is far higher than you'll get at any retailer.

Here's how it goes down:

You find a bargain on a game, you let us know. You want to find a bargain on a game, you come to this thread! It's like, circle, dude.

Also, LewieP is the goddamn man. Check out his website - it sprang up from the first thread and there's bargains for days. He filters out the crap and takes a little money for the privilege. But we're not going to grudge him that, because he's such a nice fellow. You'll have a hard time finding something cheaper than on here and if you do, let us know! I'm sure we'll love it.

Now also on RockPaperShotgun every week as the PC Gaming Bargain Bucket!

Further reading:
Hot UK Deals
Google Product Search
Cheap Arse Gamer (CAG UK)
SavyGamer
Goozex

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is totally not a blue dot post *cough* *cough*

On another note, any good RPGs on offer? Either 360 or PC will do fine and I got Mass Effect cheap the other day.

Prime on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Play.com had quite a few DS RPGs at a tenner, last I looked.

Xagarath on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    new thread feels strange. I am sure the 2nd thread went much faster then the first.
    Also, I have just got a nokia n95 which means i can blog on the go!

LewieP on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    An N95? Didn't realise you were into antiques.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Yeah - both FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates and FFXII: Revenant Wings are £10 each. Quite surprising given that they're 1) fairly new, and 2) carrying the massive branding of the Final Fantasy name.

Ordered both, and can already vouch for Crystal Chronicles - it's a far, far more polished singleplayer production than the Gamecube counterpart, with a surprisingly worthwhile story. Revenant Wings is a pseudo-RTS from my understanding, and got mixed reviews - Eurogamer loved it, though.

Bioptic on
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crystal Chronicles is quite addictive, Revenant Wings I didn't get on with so well.

CC is the superior game in my opinion.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    IceBurrrrn.jpg

ben0207 on
    edited July 2008
    Is the N95 old then? all I know is it is kickass, and it's a lightsabre, and it has wifi, and a million other badass apps for it.

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Yeah - both FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates and FFXII: Revenant Wings are £10 each. Quite surprising given that they're 1) fairly new, and 2) carrying the massive branding of the Final Fantasy name.

Ordered both, and can already vouch for Crystal Chronicles - it's a far, far more polished singleplayer production than the Gamecube counterpart, with a surprisingly worthwhile story. Revenant Wings is a pseudo-RTS from my understanding, and got mixed reviews - Eurogamer loved it, though.

I can vouch for Crystal Chronicles, too- far more enjoyable than the tedious mess the gamecube got.

Xagarath on
  • Red AlbatrossRed Albatross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Space Invaders Extreme is on buy one get one free in Gamestation. (Which is annoying after buying it for full-price in Game.)

Red Albatross on
    edited July 2008
    Space Invaders Extreme is on buy one get one free in Gamestation. (Which is annoying after buying it for full-price in Game.)

At what price?

LewieP on
  • Red AlbatrossRed Albatross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

At what price?

£20. The hard part might be finding another game in the offer for £20 that you want so that you can get it for £10.

Red Albatross on
    edited July 2008
    Grainger gaames also have it for £15 if their website is to be believed.
    I may drop in Monday.

Xagarath on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there a US equivalent to this thread? Cause I'm selling 6 of my 360 games. :P

artoo on
    edited July 2008
    artoo wrote: »
    Is there a US equivalent to this thread? Cause I'm selling 6 of my 360 games. :P

Which ones?

And no, there is no USA equivalent to this thread, the closest thing is every now and again there are random sales or whatever that get threads. Like woot off, or Circuit City/Best Buy clearances.

LewieP on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The cheapest i've been able to find TWEWY is £24.99. It seems like a pretty good game but I think i'd want to pay a little less than that if I can.

Johannen on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is the N95 old then? all I know is it is kickass, and it's a lightsabre, and it has wifi, and a million other badass apps for it.

And he's driving me potty with the light sabre. And it's really my phone, its just too geeky for me, so I've swapped mine for his Razr, cos I like flip phones.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited July 2008
    it is £21.99 here

Edit: USA version

LewieP on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    artoo wrote: »

Which ones?

And no, there is no USA equivalent to this thread, the closest thing is every now and again there are random sales or whatever that get threads. Like woot off, or Circuit City/Best Buy clearances.

Bioshock, Oblivion, Call of Duty 4, GRAW, Burnout Revenge, and Crackdown. Probably gonna slap em on ebay. :P

artoo on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whoop whoop, new thread!

Centipeed on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh dear, I seem to have stumbled into a new thread.

And as for all the FFCC:RoF loving going on... it's all true (and supposedly the multiplayer is really good too, and I haven't even played that)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still debating Grid or Dirt (as my thread shows), in the last thread someone pointed me in the direction of Dirt for £20. Are there any deals on Grid? I've spotted the £30 special edition on savygamer, but is there an even cheaper standard edition (I am on a severe budget saving for a wedding and a house)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Nokia rules, Iphone Drools... :P

*Not blue-dotting this thread at all...*

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While we're talking phones, can I get some advice from people who actually use theirs more than me? I'm on a contract with Orange and managed to get my phone rather flooded yesterday, and now it seems rather dead. I'm still trying to dry it out and revive it, but I don't have a lot of hope. Since I've been paying insurance on my monthly bill, can I just call up Orange and get them to send me a new phone, or are there some hoops I'll have to go through?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    While we're talking phones, can I get some advice from people who actually use theirs more than me? I'm on a contract with Orange and managed to get my phone rather flooded yesterday, and now it seems rather dead. I'm still trying to dry it out and revive it, but I don't have a lot of hope. Since I've been paying insurance on my monthly bill, can I just call up Orange and get them to send me a new phone, or are there some hoops I'll have to go through?

Depends on your insurance deal. You most likely will be able to get them to send you a new one, but you'll have to fill out a massive form about the circumstances and may have to pay an excess.

Willeth on
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Elobaorate.

I washed and then tumble dried my last phone rather impressively. Suffice to say it didn't make it...

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
    edited July 2008
    I was walking through driving rain with my phone in my pocket. It may not have been the smartest move..
    Was just three months from retirement, too. 18 month contract from last April :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    You'd have to check if your policy covers water damage. If it doesn't you're pretty much screwed as most phones have a water-detecting strip that changes colour once it comes into contact with water inside them so if you send it back and say "IT NO WORK" they can check.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited July 2008
    I was walking through driving rain with my phone in my pocket. It may not have been the smartest move..
    Was just three months from retirement, too. 18 month contract from last April :(

It'll probably be best to just get a handset and plug your SIM in. That will definitely work.

Willeth on
    edited July 2008
    So worth calling Orange at all then? I'll try and find the insurance terms when I get home, no idea where though. Damn.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    So with the release of CAG 2.0 comes Cheap Arse Gamer, or CAG UK.

competition

Willeth on
    edited July 2008
    Well, I kind of knew it was coming.

Hopefully they don't decrease my readership, but regardless, it's going to be the consumers who win when there are more people looking for good deals.

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    Well, I kind of knew it was coming.

Hopefully they don't decrease my readership, but regardless, it's going to be the consumers who win when there are more people looking for good deals.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't recruit you man. But hey.

Be online tonight, I want a chat.

Willeth on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I did try...

I might be going out, but if not I'll be on msn.

LewieP on
  • oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys! Looking for the cheapest price possible for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the PC. Me and my housemates are into our co-op LAN gaming at the mo and are nearly done with GRAW2. Hope someone can help, cos I don't wanna have to pay £24.99 for it!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
    edited July 2008
    oddment wrote: »
    Hey guys! Looking for the cheapest price possible for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the PC. Me and my housemates are into our co-op LAN gaming at the mo and are nearly done with GRAW2. Hope someone can help, cos I don't wanna have to pay £24.99 for it!

Rainbow Six Vegas 2, PC - £17.99 delivered

:D

Willeth on
    edited July 2008
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, PC - £17.99 delivered

Edit: Beat'd

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(you should use Lewie's link)

Willeth on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Warm airing cupboard dude. Fixes even drowned laptops 90% of the time.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have finally given in and will be purchasing an HDTV just before E3. As such, I'm looking into filling out my collection for this gen and picking up one or both of the two HD consoles (360 definitely, PS3 if the price is right).

My gut instinct is that there'll be no UK price drop for the 360 at E3 (Aren't we already a price-drop or so ahead of the US?) but possibly one for the PS3; however, you've not had anything in the way of console deals for a couple of weeks, so is there anything that looks like a particularly good bargain currently?

If any price drops materialise at either conference, I might be asking this again a week on Wednesday :-)

(Bonus brownie points if a 360 deal guarantees the HDMI socket or a PS3 deal guarantees a model that still has some semblance of backwards compatability!)

mattclem on