As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Battlefield 2142 : Striketh the North!

• TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aspect Ratio- is it set?
    Turns out I had to toggle it via command line. Seems ok now.

TwistedJester on
  • SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Masume wrote: »
    reach42 wrote: »
    Sorry, but is there still malware in this?

There's no malware, and the ad debacle was really blown out of proportion. I still love this game, I just don't play it as much with everything else out these days, but I could be tempted to rebirth the thread and start a group up if enough people are interested. ;)

<----Officially interested.

Also Kruetz your Sig is ballin, cuz communism is for winners

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
    edited June 2008
    I'd say I'm interested, but I've got a job now and the lure of ranking up isn't as strong as it was back in the day, since I have all the unlocks I really think are useful.

EDIT: Actually.... there are a few medals and such that I'm close to... count me in, if I can find the time to get on.

TwistedJester on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can people with out Northern Strike expansion have fun or is it pretty much all that stuff now?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy shit, the thread about ads reminded me that I have this game. I didn't unlock a lot of stuff so that'd give me something to aim for (badpunolol) and this game was a lot of fun. Count me in if I can find my discs and remember my password and everything.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Can people with out Northern Strike expansion have fun or is it pretty much all that stuff now?

Northern Strike is cool but it doesn't get played as much. Facing off against the Rhino is really difficult without a coordinated team. The speeder bikes (whatever their called) kind of blow, in my opinion, but they had some nice maps otherwise. I don't see many servers using it save in random map rotations.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • SkatDarkstarSkatDarkstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I recently got this game to play with a friend, and it is certainly fun, but I'm having a slight technical problem on titan maps. Whenever I go into a titan, and go underneath to infiltrate and destroy it, I get about 5 in game feet into the hallway to go into the belly, and everything blacks out, I can still see my gun, the muzzle flash from it, and my HUD, but the walls are completely black. Anyone know what might be causing this?

SkatDarkstar on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Turn off dynamic lighting.

narv107 on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, Operation Shingle. Great map or Greatest Map?

It's like across between Camp Gibraltar and Cerebre so it has the same caveat or requiring a competent team to me enjoyable but hot diggity is it ever fun.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd definitely be in for some rounds, been a long time since I last played. I wonder if it can even come close the fun that is TF2 though.

Dark_Side on
  • KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd be in for some rounds too. Just gotta find my discs and dust off the ol' sniper rifle...

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How random, I installed this yesterday. I forgot how awesome it was. I love all of the kits and leveling up.
    We should try and get a game on night this week.

Accualt on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I should really reinstall this is and play it again but for the life of me I can't remember what my login info for it is...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, we've got a bunch of people jumping in, so I guess I'mma' have to install this again. Should we get an xfire list going, perhaps?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fine! I'll go find my cd's and account.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, all set up, why can't I set my resolution to 1680 x 1050?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited July 2008
    It doesn't support that high of a res.

My monitor is native to that but whatever the widescreen 1024x setting it chose for me looks fine.

Accualt on
    edited July 2008
    So, 2142's latest patch supposed adds in widescreen resolutions (only took them a few years) and it doesn't include 1680x1050? Jesus Christ...

Dashui on
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing it is because they don't have any high res textures so the game would look like shit at that res.

Accualt on
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    So, 2142's latest patch supposed adds in widescreen resolutions (only took them a few years) and it doesn't include 1680x1050? Jesus Christ...
    I think you need to toggle widescreen resolutions in the target. IE add "-widescreen 1" in the target path. I did something like that and I'm getting 1680x1050 fine.

TwistedJester on
    edited July 2008
    I think you need to toggle widescreen resolutions in the target. IE add "-widescreen 1" in the target path. I did something like that and I'm getting 1680x1050 fine.

It's still weird that nearly two years they still haven't included widescreen all that correctly. Battlefield 3 better include proper widescreen resolutions without having to use a command line. Their excuses for Battlefield 2 and 2142 were that it was an "unfair advantage." o_O

Dashui on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's still weird that nearly two years they still haven't included widescreen all that correctly. Battlefield 3 better include proper widescreen resolutions without having to use a command line. Their excuses for Battlefield 2 and 2142 were that it was an "unfair advantage." o_O

This somehow reminds me of the fact that 2142 supports head tracking, but not widescreen. o_O

Kreutz on
    edited July 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »

This somehow reminds me of the fact that 2142 supports head tracking, but not widescreen. o_O
    Head tracking?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually, on further review, the game supported some sort of video goggles. How I got that mixed up with head tracking is beyond me. My point is they forgot widescreen support in favor of superfluous technology, not surprising given the company behind the game.

Kreutz on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh wait I think I figured out my login.

I'll start playing on Tek.Jansen. again. Once I get this bad boy installed and set up for widescreen.

For that do I just need to make sure I've got -widescreen on the shortcut? Yeah looks like just -widescreen.. How do I patch this thing though?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2008
    I think you just run it and it will tell you there is a patch and ask you if you want to download it. If you're just doing it straight from a fresh install though I think you can just get the latest patch at gamershell or some other place that hosts patches.

Also, my list of things that Battlefield 3 MUST have:
    1. Proper widescreen support.
    2. No more fucking fog of war bullshit. I don't care if the game looks like Crysis, but it damn well better have a draw distance similar to that of Crysis.
    3. Get rid of this bullshit where the camera is placed in my pelvis when I'm prone. I want to be able to peek over ledges and out of bushes without sticking out like a sore thumb.
    4. Modified staminia/jump system. Either make jumping over obstacles less prevalent and thus your jump is lower, or make it so that when you don't have enough stamina you can't jump. Bunny hopping isn't as bad in this as it is in some other games, but eliminating it completely in favor of actually taking a knee or being prepared would be awesome.

I'd also like it if they eliminated the cone of fire system and made it such that you can rest guns on ledges/windowsills/sandbags to increase accuracy. I doubt they'll bother with those two though. Red Orchestra has really spoiled me.

TwistedJester on
    edited July 2008
    Jesus, I couldn't find my disc anywhere and I actually went out and bought the deluxe version for $10 in a Wal-Mart bargain bin. I also convinced my friend to buy the only other copy they had so now we each have one and we can kill people together. Too bad I can't use my old CD key with it though, I hope I can use my old account name and password. (I hope I can remember it too)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So.... can anyone tell me if the Mac servers for this is the same as the windows servers?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited July 2008
    I think you just run it and it will tell you there is a patch and ask you if you want to download it. If you're just doing it straight from a fresh install though I think you can just get the latest patch at gamershell or some other place that hosts patches.

Also, my list of things that Battlefield 3 MUST have:
    1. Proper widescreen support.
    2. No more fucking fog of war bullshit. I don't care if the game looks like Crysis, but it damn well better have a draw distance similar to that of Crysis.
    3. Get rid of this bullshit where the camera is placed in my pelvis when I'm prone. I want to be able to peek over ledges and out of bushes without sticking out like a sore thumb.
    4. Modified staminia/jump system. Either make jumping over obstacles less prevalent and thus your jump is lower, or make it so that when you don't have enough stamina you can't jump. Bunny hopping isn't as bad in this as it is in some other games, but eliminating it completely in favor of actually taking a knee or being prepared would be awesome.

I'd also like it if they eliminated the cone of fire system and made it such that you can rest guns on ledges/windowsills/sandbags to increase accuracy. I doubt they'll bother with those two though. Red Orchestra has really spoiled me.

Hopefully we'll find out some details at E3 next week. I'm on my knees begging for a Battlefield 3 announcement to confirm that leaked feature document.

Dashui on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Wait, so what's the "cone of fire system" if not a representation of accuracy?

Garthor on
    edited July 2008
    If they took out cone of fire, I'd assume they'd make the recoil of guns more realistic, and mounting/resting a gun would reduce recoil. Then again, if they did that, they'd have to take out crosshairs altogether and adopt a gun shifting model like RO as everyone would just fire from the hip.

So let me clarify. I hope they put in gun mounting, but I especially hope they do this if they keep in COF so that being on defense actually lets you have an advantage.

TwistedJester on
    edited July 2008
    Also, fuck instaproning. They need to bring back the fix that was in BF: Vietnam.

TwistedJester on
    edited July 2008
    Okay guys, I figured I'd resurrect this thread one last time to let everyone know that my game tag is Darmak and I'm going to go through this thread and try and find you guys so we can all get together and play some time. My roommate and his friend bought the game recently as well so sometimes they'll be on with me too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2008
    I really hope there is a push mode in the next Battlefield game. People just don't seem to realize that the first flag on Camp Gibraltar is meaningless. They'll defend it do the death as back cappers sneak past and ruin your teams shit. Don't people know what a choke point is?

TwistedJester on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really hope there is a push mode in the next Battlefield game. People just don't seem to realize that the first flag on Camp Gibraltar is meaningless. They'll defend it do the death as back cappers sneak past and ruin your teams shit. Don't people know what a choke point is?

That used to be my number one pet peeve but it's seemed to get better over time as more and more people now spawn at the toll-booth and lay down mines to stop jeep-ers. No, what's a million fucking times worse is as a recon for PAC, sneaking your way into the Gibraltar backfield, carefully avoiding contact, capturing the ruins and announcing "Hey Guys have captured a backfield spawn, spawn at the ruins" for 5 minutes while no fucker from your team can tear themselves away from the meat grinder that is running directly up the first ramp while thinking "This time if I run really fast the 15 guys with guns trained on this area might miss", defending the ruins spawn point until you're down to your last clip of pistol ammo and you've just about managed to pull enough of the oppo team away from the meat grinder so that your team captures the first spawn by shear weight of numbers only to die and now have no chance of sneaking through again because the front line has moved to the toll-booth choke point. Oh and PAC is now losing by about 100 kills.

So now I mostly play Shingle where the more spread out nature of the map allows more sneaking in but also makes it more obvious to my retarded idiot team mates that sneaking could occur.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I keep wanting to play this again (as well as Battlefield 2, which I never legally owned), but I'm too tempted to get Northern Strike, which I really don't need to waste money on right now.

Cry cry.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    I just realized that the awards you get in Northern Strike don't give you points, but give you unlock credits instead.

Fuck yes.

TwistedJester on
    edited August 2008
    Ok, seriously now, BF2142 roll call. I'm hooked on this shit again and I'd like to have some duders to team up with.

TwistedJester on
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I require additional Battlefield Gas.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can install this again. Always loved playing it, even if I didn't get much chance to play with people from here.

Aoi on