As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo III Offically Announced - The hype continues

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    he should be half vampire too

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    guys how about you play a fallen angel with his wings cut off who is also an alcoholic

Did they ever say when they're going to unveil some other classes?

jot on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What about a class that is actually a rebel demon with a righteous cause? Trying to undo the evils of hell so that he can become pure, or something.

that sounds like something out of an Ann Rice novel.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    jot wrote: »
    guys how about you play a fallen angel with his wings cut off who is also an alcoholic

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Children wrote: »

snip

Wait, I haven't seen snip yet
    Did you just spoil the movie for me?

jot on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am really against anything from heaven being in the game at all. Fighting there, people from there fighting - I know it doesn't make much sense ... I am not at all religious, I just have always seen Demons as being spawned often and being powerful, evil things - but angels being created by the gods and being few but total badasses who only fight when they REALLY need them. I think we'll see a ragtag team of hero classes that aren't unlike what we've seen up to this point, but polished and updated enough that we'll be satisfied for a long, long time.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

snip

Wait, I haven't seen snip yet
    Did you just spoil the movie for me?

Edit: I should clarify, this is a spoiler, hense the fucking SPOILER TAG
    Nah I spoiled the movie by telling you the dude's wife has super powers. Radomly out of nowhere. For no reason.

It sucks anyway.

Children on
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Children, go fuck yourself you asshole.

Seriously, USE SPOILER TEXT YOU CUNT-SMEAR.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's called don't click on spoiler tags when people are discussing spoilers if you don't want the movie spoiled.

Edit: the word moron is pretty much implied in this sentence, no?

Children on
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's called don't click on spoiler tags when people are discussing spoilers if you don't want the movie spoiled.

YOU DIDN'T USE THEM IN THE FIRST POST YOU BAG OF DICKS.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    shryke wrote: »

YOU DIDN'T USE THEM IN THE FIRST POST YOU BAG OF DICKS.

I'm going to take the high road here and kindly inform you that the first post wasnt really a spoiler.

Children on
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    spoiler tag means spoilers? what a country!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Since no one liked my previous idea, How about a couple of town guards that fight the demons together:
    One could be a badass with a total disregard for procedure, but he also has a heart of gold because he really does care about the people hes trying to protect.
    The other one could be a more wimpy, cautious fellow, but when he is needed he really pulls through with strength and courage.
    All they need now is a catchy class name...
    Zod and Lum!
    :P

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm glad that one was a joke... I think.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why do people want custom map builders? That makes no sense... If you knew your way around a map, it'd be easy to teleport past everything easily or fill it with monster that give the optimal experience for their difficulty. The joy of the game was the lack of control over what they would throw at you.

A custom map feature would ruin multi player - everyone would play on a small selection of maps for leveling fast then switch to pvp maps or MF maps. If you want it for single player, that's a cool idea but would take a LOT of work considering how fast people blast through maps in Diablo 2.

Imagine putting weeks of work into a map only to have people spend 30-45 seconds teleporting or simply crushing it with their uber maxed characters. It really wouldn't be fun for the amount of work put into the map :(

Rye on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I did like the few times you worked with NPCs against bad guys in WoW, and they weren't just like throwaways that got one shotted. Like general rajaxx was a very poorly executed fight, but when it went right it was actually sort of neat.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think it's pretty much understood that anyone who wants a map maker in d3 is retarded and should die, so it's not worth discussing.

TheStig on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rye wrote: »
    Why do people want custom map builders? That makes no sense... If you knew your way around a map, it'd be easy to teleport past everything easily or fill it with monster that give the optimal experience for their difficulty. The joy of the game was the lack of control over what they would throw at you.

A custom map feature would ruin multi player - everyone would play on a small selection of maps for leveling fast then switch to pvp maps or MF maps. If you want it for single player, that's a cool idea but would take a LOT of work considering how fast people blast through maps in Diablo 2.

Imagine putting weeks of work into a map only to have people spend 30-45 seconds teleporting or simply crushing it with their uber maxed characters. It really wouldn't be fun for the amount of work put into the map :(

What if custom maps had no-bearing on your character and were for fun only? Or are usable with "open" battle.net characters and not "closed".

People could create story-lines and dungeon crawls with a little more depth then what we've come to expect from Diablo #s. Or someone could make a surprise fan favorite that you can't predict (e.g. defense of the ancients or tower defense).
    TheStig wrote: »
    I think it's pretty much understood that anyone who wants a map maker in d3 is retarded and should die, so it's not worth discussing.

Excellant discussion. You bring up many good points and I am glad for your input

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I rather like the idea of a map maker, just as long as you can't really get gear from it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How about the ability to make maps than submit them to blizzard and if they were super awesome they could put them on closed for people to play? It be like mega expansions. Id be in for that .

Map maker would be great for single player/open.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I must have stumbled into the starcraft thread. In diablo maps are randomly generated you don't select a map when you host a game. Hell they probably won't even have hosted game and may go with some fake town setup like guildwars.

TheStig on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As long as it doesnt affect battle.net ladder characters who cares what people do with a map builder?

People make mods anyway, at least this would open the door for an easy to use NWN-like map building community.

commathe on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just want them to make a Diablo game. Why must they cram random crap into it? Maybe they can hand off a map-making utility to the interns or something.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tack another year onto development for a feature no one on closed battle.net will use then see how much you care.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tack another year onto development for a feature no one on closed battle.net will use then see how much you care.

as much as I dont care for a level editor, outside of modding tools, I doubt it would "tack another year" onto anything

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Custom maps? I just don't get it.

"Hey guys, check out my custom map with dark sinister colors and monsters you've already seen that are just as easy to kill as anything else with no custom story or loot! Guys? Guys?"

Yeah, that would be fun.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Custom maps? I just don't get it.

"Hey guys, check out my custom map with dark sinister colors and monsters you've already seen that are just as easy to kill as anything else with no custom story or loot! Guys? Guys?"

Yeah, that would be fun.

Apparently.

Not that I have any interest in a map creator, but I could see why the mod community would want it.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "Hey guys i used the world editor to hack together this neat mod with great use of physics and map design to craft a compelling story. I added some neat new uniques to flesh out some levels that were a bit bland equipment wise" I had to reuse some monsters, but I tried to design the map around those encounters to do interesting things. Guys? Guys?"

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So now we're talking about a complete SDK and not just a map editor?

TheStig on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Really? If they added story elements PC, NPC creator and monster creations etc into a map maker similar to NWN or Titan Quest, how could that not be cool.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Its been a while since I've seen a map editor released that couldn't do several other simple things like dialogue. I guess thats complicated by today's standards.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    Really? If they added story elements PC, NPC creator and monster creations etc into a map maker similar to NWN or Titan Quest, how could that not be cool.

Well it's because 99% of those maps will be "lol I made a map with 3,000,000 diablos in a tiny room!"

And the good ones will remain un-played as most people will be grinding for loot on standard servers.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    New campaigns for single player/ip/open b.net could be neat but I don't see Blizzard releasing an editor that big until some time after release.

Edit: Don't forget the mandatory LolMyHouse maps.

TheStig on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Edit: Don't forget the mandatory LolMySchool maps and the inevitable media shitstorm.
    Fixed.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Edit: Don't forget the mandatory LolMySchool maps and the inevitable media shitstorm.
    Fixed.

Ok, now I want a map editor.

shryke on
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still baffled. From the video I watched, it's not clear to me whether or not things are still relatively randomly generated, but if it's anything like d2, there's no reason for a map editor.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If they released standalone maps in like a map of the week thing like they did with starcraft rather than a map editor, would that be ok? Jesus you guys are fucking anal.

commathe on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    commathe wrote: »
    Jesus you guys are fucking anal.
    Game won't be out for years what else is there to do but be anal?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What else is there to discuss?

Do you want to revisit the colors?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    What else is there to discuss?

Do you want to revisit the colors?

He said you wouldn't revisit the colors, he said you were too scared to do it.
    You going to take that from him?

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.