As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Okami

2»

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll be buying this upon its uk release.
    Just like God Hand.
    Just like FFXII.
    Hey, look, all in February!

Xagarath on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Magus` wrote:
    Fuck that one race, BTW.
    Not nearly as bad as Le Grande Blockhead.
    My wife and I split that one up. I took the first four, she memorized the last four.
    [spoiler:cabf93a4c3]Still took half an hour.[/spoiler:cabf93a4c3]
    I taped paper to the screen and drew a line connecting the dots. Still took a while, though.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Magus` wrote:
    Fuck that one race, BTW.
    Not nearly as bad as Le Grande Blockhead.
    My wife and I split that one up. I took the first four, she memorized the last four.
    [spoiler:26b8172741]Still took half an hour.[/spoiler:26b8172741]
    I taped paper to the screen and drew a line connecting the dots. Still took a while, though.

Threw my fucking controller. I was helping my girlfriend with it since "ha ha, I'm the gamer. I can do it." Made my throw my controller.

She then did it since I wasn't hitting them in order. D:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't remember how I did it. I know I tried several different solutions before finally nailing it. The whole latter half of the game was a whirlwind of sleep deprivation and sickness. And it was fucking great.

Renzo on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I put about 30 hours into this after i got my wisdom teeth out. Im a bit suprised i wasnt outside closing one eye and drawing circles in the sky on rainy days afterwards.

The game itself was great, though the story only sucked me in once i started dealing with Rao, and all the plot stuff there. I was hooked afterwards.
    Hated the unspeed-upable chatter scenes. They were awful. Other than that it was splendid.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can skip cutscenes in New Game +.

It suddenly gets even better.

Elendil on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just beat this one myself, took me about 35 hours. I can easily say it's in the top ten games I've ever played. Sure it borrowed stuff from a few different games, but that's what made it so good.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Good game. Stellar art, animation, music and too-easy gameplay. Sure you can say "try grand blockhead or kamui demon gate," but I like to be challenged throughout and I see the fact that I never died as a weakness. Still listen to the soundtrack a lot, it's really incredible.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love this game, but a word of the wise: don't bother trying to obtain all 100 stray beads. The reward isn't at all worth it.

Timestones on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still can't find a copy for sale or rent anyplace

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For me, the tight controls combined with relative ease of the game actually made the game a lot more fun. Instead of fuck-ups resulting in you dying they just lower your points, encouraging you to do better. By the end of the game I was a bloody acrobat, performing feats of overkill just to get the best rating possible, including Demon Fangs off all enemies.

Glal on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game is really getting hard to come by now so get it while you can before it gets REZed (or ZoE2ed)! D:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm so glad I've bought it at launch

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why was this months-old thread brought back? Wouldn't it be better to create a new one or, failing that, at least edit the OP?

And I want this game, but I don't have a PS2 nor the inclination to get one. Boo, Capcom.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    Why was this months-old thread brought back? Wouldn't it be better to create a new one or, failing that, at least edit the OP?

And I want this game, but I don't have a PS2 nor the inclination to get one. Boo, Capcom.

It genuinely is one of the few games that is accurately on lists of "would be better on Wii"

LewieP on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. When I first heard of it, I also thought it better suited to the GameCube. But a Wii version would be brilliant.

BOO, CAPCOM!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    This game is really getting hard to come by now so get it while you can before it gets REZed (or ZoE2ed)! D:

it's not hard to find at all

it's like 30$ on amazon

i have it

don't really enjoy it and haven't gotten past the first village yet :(

am i doing something wrong guys?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It takes a bit for the game to click. The brush is probably the biggest factor there. Around the time you get Bloom (like, half an hour past where you are), it gets a lot better. So, just push on a bit further.

Also, (check after you get bloom)
    you won't be able to get past the water to the third sapling until you head back to the village. So, keep that in mind, save yourself some aggravation.

I'm replaying the game now. It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. I might well quit when I get to
    Kamui,
    though. Game got a lot worse there.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I gave up on this game at that bit where you're on the log riding down the river and have to tie it to 6 of the flowers. Is there a trick to that, because it never seems to work and on the few times i do get one of the flowers to connect I can't see what it was i did differently.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Remember that the brush is "sticky" around flowers (and hooks, when you're drawing a vine). If a flower is onscreen, the brush will "snap" to it when you get it nearby, and green smoke will come out. Start drawing, and bring it near a hook, it should snap on again.

The flowers go by quickly, so pull up the canvas before you see one. You get three flowers each cycle on a side.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Starcross wrote: »
    I gave up on this game at that bit where you're on the log riding down the river and have to tie it to 6 of the flowers. Is there a trick to that, because it never seems to work and on the few times i do get one of the flowers to connect I can't see what it was i did differently.

When you're painting vines, you have to watch for when the paint on the very tip of your brush is green instead of black. Hover over the flower until it turns green and then paint the line to Ami and make sure it's green.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game is so good. Maybe if Zack and Wiki sells well, Capcom will put its other great cel shaded game on the Wii.

Please don't shatter my dreams.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. When I first heard of it, I also thought it better suited to the GameCube. But a Wii version would be brilliant.

BOO, CAPCOM!
    I can see why people say "this would be good on the Wii," but how is it more suited to the GameCube than the PS2?

Kaputa on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »

BOO, CAPCOM!
    I can see why people say "this would be good on the Wii," but how is it more suited to the GameCube than the PS2?

It wouldn't have got lost amongst the crowd of games being released on PS2 at the time, it would have been a standout GC release.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

BOO, CAPCOM!

It wouldn't have got lost amongst the crowd of games being released on PS2 at the time, it would have been a standout GC release.

The PS2 gave Okami the greatest possible crowd, and it came out (in the US, anyway) in September, during which time there wasn't a whole lot to compete with.

As for a Wii version, again, no thanks. I really think that using the Wiimote to paint on screen would have been a bitch and a half, especially when drawing symbols (three parallel lines). A DS version would be better, maybe, but would have suffered graphically.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't want Okami for the Wii.

I want Okami 2 for the Wii.

jothki on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

BOO, CAPCOM!

Something about these types of games makes them stand out on the GameCube, where as they get lost in the rush with the PS2. So even though the PS2 has a wider installed base, more GameCube owners would have been likely to look at it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

BOO, CAPCOM!

Something about these types of games makes them stand out on the GameCube, where as they get lost in the rush with the PS2. So even though the PS2 has a wider installed base, more GameCube owners would have been likely to look at it.

It does seem like that's the kind of game people would hope for when they get a Gamecube.

jothki on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've had this game since it came out, put two hours into it, loved and haven't played it again.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    then give it to me

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu