As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We have release dates for RB2 (360/PS3/Wii)

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Magik_Tek wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    Whenever a friend of mine brings up that music track creator deal, I ask him "Ok, so how will it work?"
    I am willing to bet that the music creator will be one of two extremes:

1) Really in-depth with amazing tools for customizing your instrumental track in various styles. You can spend hours/days/weeks processing and producing your track. Not for the casual or musically challenged. Some might even say the menus are eye sores.

2) Really simplistic. You can spend around an hour and have an entire track set to play with your friends. You get few options in terms of sound and style and there are other limitations. However, a fair amount of people will be wanting more out of it.

If Activision can find middle ground, then it'll bring just as many fans as haters. Having seen GH3, On Tour, and GH: Aerosmith, I sincerely doubt that the music creator will be something streamlined and amazing compared to the rest of the solo/multiplayer content.

From what I've heard on the 1up podcast a week or so ago, the Music Track Creator falls under #1.

The host was saying how one of the Neversoft guys was laying track over track over track with multiple samples of each instrument to the point where he recreated 'Smells like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana. They didn't go into detail on whether it was close to the real song, but the way they described it made the Music Track Creator sound very complex. Definitely something that your average person, which is the majority of users, will even bother with.

Personally, I think there will be a very small, and I mean, small minority of people who will really get a kick out of this. I don't even think the people who normally make custom songs will do much with this since all they had to do in the past was slap notes onto pre-existing tracks and not actually make the tracks themselves.

If Neversoft is dumb enough to demo it's big feature by showing people that it's really easy to re-create copywritten music, that's a whole new level of either ignorance or arrogance.

It should end with him going "But yeah, if YOU do this we're totally going to have to ban you. But its still cool, right?"

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Magik_TekMagik_Tek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

If Neversoft is dumb enough to demo it's big feature by showing people that it's really easy to re-create copywritten music, that's a whole new level of either ignorance or arrogance.

It should end with him going "But yeah, if YOU do this we're totally going to have to ban you. But its still cool, right?"

Who knows, it could be both ignorance and arrogance considering the way Neversoft has been acting after they got the Guitar Hero franchise.

Magik_Tek on
    PSN: Fear_Magik
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, you know what would be awesome? If they got in touch with the Homestar Runner guys again and got hold of some Limozeen songs, or maybe some sloshy. NITE MAMAS or Because It's Midnight would be solid fun, and We Don't Really Even Care About You would give them an excuse to stick the guitar fill thing somewhere other than the end of the song.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoy rocking.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wasn't a Limozeen song in Rock the 80's? It wasn't very fun, and included an insane solo in the middle for the hell of it.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Magik_Tek wrote: »
    Here's a preview from Game Daily on Rock Band 2: http://www.gamedaily.com/games/rock-...ew/7360/20600/

But the real interesting thing to take from this article is the very first line: Despite the tremendous amount of weekly downloadable content (including upcoming packs from Nirvana and The Who)

Looks like we got a Nirvana track pack coming soon.

I guess that makes sense, seeing as how all signs are pointing to Drain You being the Nirvana song going into Rock Band 2. I kept wondering why they weren't using Breed, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, etc., but it's likely that the Nirvana pack will be hitting before RB2, so that explains that.

As for joke songs, I hope DethKlok makes a return. They've got enough songs to fill an entire catalog after all.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wasn't a Limozeen song in Rock the 80's? It wasn't very fun, and included an insane solo in the middle for the hell of it.

To be fair, it was originally just a bonus song.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So no discussion on the onion article Tycho mentioned? Two awesome things that caught my eye. One the confirmed songs from the setlist. Ttwo Velocity sensitive drums!!! My friends and I have been using the rock band drums as a cheap midi set while we practice guitar but the velocity sensitive version will work even better. The calibration features built into the guitar sounds pretty cool too

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it was discussed pretty extensively in the last thread.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mishra wrote: »
    So no discussion on the onion article Tycho mentioned?

We did it in the tail end of the previous thread.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Because, It's Midnite was in 80s.

The solo made me crack up because it was so ridiculous.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    See: Last thread.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    JoahW wrote: »

I would love to see it make a return just so I can sing it this time around.

:whistle: Flying high
    on the wings of a bat
    Because, it's midnite
    :whistle:

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

on the wings of a bat
    Because, it's midnite

That's not how it goes. It's

YOU BETTAH CUT ME SOME

heeeeeeart of a lion
    and the wiiiiiiiings of a bat

BECAUSE, IT'S MIDNITE!

Also, shucks about it not actually working out in practice. Maybe Nite Mamas would be better?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

on the wings of a bat
    Because, it's midnite

YOU BETTAH CUT ME SOME

heeeeeeart of a lion

BECAUSE, IT'S MIDNITE!

Also, shucks about it not actually working out in practice. Maybe Nite Mamas would be better?

Cut me some slack, I never listened to the thing outside of Rocks the 80's.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

I still have no idea how I got 5-stars on that.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    midgetspy wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll do anything about having ungoldable songs in RB2... cause man is that frustrating!

In one of the Rock Blogs posted in the last thread the HMX guy said it would be easier to gold star songs.

Edit: Source: http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/374112?redir=1
    Oh, and one more thing for people having issues getting gold stars: The gold star score threshold is now easier to achieve in Rock Band 2. No more cursing at impossible deploy paths!

:|

But I don't want them to make Gold Starring uniformly easier. It should be hard as hell to get what is basically an award for playing a song nigh-perfect. I just want them to make sure there aren't specific songs where it's virtually impossible because of some freak nature of the note chart. I mean, I never GS'd more than maybe 25% of the songs on guitar, but when I did I knew that I'd damned well earned it.

My problem with the current gold star system is that the guitar solo bonus stuff throws it way off. I gold-starred Screaming for Vengeance on my sightread, which should NOT have happened after I only got like 60% on the solo, but still happened anyway because of the solo bonus.

Basically what I'm saying is that they should incorporate the solo bonus into the gold-star calculation so that songs without solos are slightly easier to gold star and songs with solos are harder.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

on the wings of a bat
    Because, it's midnite

YOU BETTAH CUT ME SOME

heeeeeeart of a lion

BECAUSE, IT'S MIDNITE!

Cut me some slack, I never listened to the thing outside of Rocks the 80's.

This post reminds me of the fact that one of these games needs Meat Loaf somewhere desperately.

Also, a keyboard peripheral with around 10/12 buttons would be cool.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    glithert wrote: »
    The guy I know for sure that they hired, Chris Vance, made some of the worst customs ever. I would post a chart he made that had random 4 note chords during all the "boring" parts, but I can't find it anymore.

Going back to this for a second, I looked around and found ChrisVance's youtube page.

He's still got his Guitar Hero 2 customs on there as well as the charts he apparently worked on in GH3. Aside from the one instance of four-button chords I saw for his "Anyway You Want It" chart, he made some songs easier than they could've been really. Jack and Diane has a shit-ton more strumming than he put. He also mentions that Anyway You Want It was the first custom chart he made. I'd imagine that when you're starting out making something to impress the scorehero community, I'm sure you would feel almost required to put in a couple bullshit items.
    Just to put this to bed, Vance was proud of his notechart for through the fire and flames. Proud of it.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    This post reminds me of the fact that one of these games needs Meat Loaf somewhere desperately.

Oh dear god yes. It's always been my hope that a three-song Meat Loaf pack would come out and it would take half an hour to play through. In any case, Bat Out of Hell plz.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The lack of Meat Loaf is acceptable.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OMG woot!! I just FC'd drums on Blitzkried Bop and my score is tied for 1st on the leaderboards (for PS3/360)! I've never had a 1st on a setlist song before, hurray for accidental squeezing!

midgetspy on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OMG woot!! I just FC'd drums on Blitzkried Bop and my score is tied for 1st on the leaderboards (for PS3/360)! I've never had a 1st on a setlist song before, hurray for accidental squeezing!

Check your vocals score for Hysteria again.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The guy I know for sure that they hired, Chris Vance, made some of the worst customs ever. I would post a chart he made that had random 4 note chords during all the "boring" parts, but I can't find it anymore.

Going back to this for a second, I looked around and found ChrisVance's youtube page.

He's still got his Guitar Hero 2 customs on there as well as the charts he apparently worked on in GH3. Aside from the one instance of four-button chords I saw for his "Anyway You Want It" chart, he made some songs easier than they could've been really. Jack and Diane has a shit-ton more strumming than he put. He also mentions that Anyway You Want It was the first custom chart he made. I'd imagine that when you're starting out making something to impress the scorehero community, I'm sure you would feel almost required to put in a couple bullshit items.
    Just to put this to bed, Vance was proud of his notechart for through the fire and flames. Proud of it.

If he was the one who according to that page made the Knights of Cydonia notechart, he can please go fall off something tall.

Seriously? Epic strumming when it is only a held note in real life? Bah to him.

Also, I would be all over more songs from the Homestar Runner crew.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The easier gold stars are welcomed by me for one. I think, for a video game and taking into account issues with hardware, 99% is god-damned excellent on Expert and should be rewarded as such. The amount of bullshit you have to put up with to get FCs turns people into robots and not musicians.

Strato on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arikado wrote: »

Check your vocals score for Hysteria again.

Hysteria != Setlist;
    Hysteria == DLC;

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/887/887494p1.html

IGN Hands on. Reading now...

EDIT: Nothing new except:

Confirmation that the new bass drum pedal is made of metal.

Confirmation World Tour mode can be done solo.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was just thinking - the biggest evidence that RB1 on disc tracks will come to RB2 in some capacity is the fact that almost 2 albums (Boston's self-titled ALMOST) are based off having a song on disc.

With the new, confirmed, mode that allows you to play a full album, I doubt they'd overlook tracks that are sitting on the RB1 disc.

Oh, I didn't think about that, good call. Let's also not forget that in that G4 screenshot of the GUI:

rock-band-2-rumor-leak.jpg

There are big "2" icons next to the songs actually in RB2, and the familiar DLC arrow next to DLC. Now, why would they specifically label songs that are in RB2 ... unless they also have songs from RB1?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Just read it and eh, no real new information. More of the same from everyone else but, they did say that the super-cool features weren't even shown to the press yet.

Edit: Oh yeah, metal pedal. Must have passed over that. Sounds awesome though. (I'm on my like... 8th pedal.)

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey PA, I'm an above-average Expert Drummer (I've beaten the Perfect Drug/ only 3 stars though :/ temporarily stuck on detroit rock city and dead on arrival)

I've got a big problem in terms of right arm hitting speed. The song Reptilia's hi-hat part is exactly too fast for me to sustain an entire song, therefore my score in it suffers because of how tired my right-arm gets. Is there a way to improve this?

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you can't sustain that beat for the length of Reptilia, then the only suggestion I can make is to build up your endurance.

Are you using your whole arm when hitting the pad or something?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    reach42 wrote: »
    Hey PA, I'm an above-average Expert Drummer (I've beaten the Perfect Drug/ only 3 stars though :/ temporarily stuck on detroit rock city and dead on arrival)

I've got a big problem in terms of right arm hitting speed. The song Reptilia's hi-hat part is exactly too fast for me to sustain an entire song, therefore my score in it suffers because of how tired my right-arm gets. Is there a way to improve this?

Hit the pad as lightly as possible, and use your wrists.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I have the same problem and the only thing I could do to slightly fix this is use the slightly bigger/heavier drumsticks I had around. Since they are heavier it is easier on the arm in songs like Reptilia but it does make it harder to do rolls and the like.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Are you using your whole arm when hitting the pad or something?
    only when my wrist starts to hurt

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

If he was the one who according to that page made the Knights of Cydonia notechart, he can please go fall off something tall.

Seriously? Epic strumming when it is only a held note in real life? Bah to him.

Also, I would be all over more songs from the Homestar Runner crew.

I'm not defending Guitar Hero 3's charts in general, but I will say that before Neversoft hired him I wouldn't have hated his style. He didn't even choose really ridiculous songs. He chose moderate pace songs that are just fun to play and he made things fit within those bounds. There would be tons of dead time waiting for the guitar to come back because he chose a song that wasn't guitar heavy.

Looking at the Knights of Cydonia chart after that was brought up, and never really having heard the song before (not a Muse fan), the parts that you're talking about I assume are the parts like around 1:30? There's an earlier part just like it but I didn't notice the timeframe of it. Regardless, those notes are being strummed that fast and aren't being held out if that is the section you're referring too.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/887/887494p1.html

IGN Hands on. Reading now...

EDIT: Nothing new except:

Confirmation that the new bass drum pedal is made of metal.

Confirmation World Tour mode can be done solo.

I better be able to RMA for the new metal pedal when the time comes. Because shit I'm on #4 right now.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now I'm on the other side of the fence, and looking at my first day of DLC as a Rock Band PS3 owner.

So what time does PSN put up new stuff on Thursday? Can't wait to get Snow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Re: Knights of Cydonia

It's charted right

He does strum like crazy there. The reason its harder on GH3 is because the game forces you to match his rhythm exactly. In real life, you arent going to be able to hear if you were a few strums short at the end of the section.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To be fair, that isn't unique to Guitar Hero 3.

glithert on