As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Am Alive

• BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god, not Jade Raymond again...

BlackDove on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Guys. I bet at the end of the game you find out that the main character was actually dead the whole time.

PLOT TWIST!

In my plot you'd never find out what the hell was going on, I reckon I'd just have it be impossible to escape, you'd always go mad, but you'd compete with everyone to try and get as far as you possibly could.

Klyka wrote: »
    Guys. I bet at the end of the game you find out that the main character was actually dead the whole time.

PLOT TWIST!

You are actually from the future and are possessing a man's body in the past so you can go into a secret lab during the earthquake and get data on a new weapon which was build in the future and is going to explode in 1 hour until you can disarm it.

I...I should be a writer.

Yes and yes. Make this happen.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Oh man. That box art is just...just horrible.

Yes, it is.

But have you ever seen the Japanese box art for the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi series?

[box art]

I greatly, greatly prefer that to the frightening grown-up garbage pail kids on the US box art.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

My knife is ready.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    A> Nintendo better have some nice shit to show off for Day of Crisis now that the competition has a similarly themed, and equally awful named game.

B> We can probably judge the quality of it by the presence of Jade Raymond. Will she introduce the game and let videos and information speak for itself (good sign) or will she Vana White it like with Assassin's Creed (not good)?

Sheep on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

My knife is ready.

Don't GIS her name. The third or fourth picture is definitely NSFW.

urahonky on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    20020617h.jpg

My knife is ready.

So what does it say about your hotness if a bad photoshop is the first result for your name when you run a GIS with no safesearch?

RoyceSraphim on
    edited July 2008

My knife is ready.

The comic or that really bad MSPaint job that was floating around?

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    It's a terrible photoshop job.

Let's not make this the Jade Raymond discussion thread.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    It's a terrible photoshop job.

Let's not make this the Jade Raymond discussion thread.

Oh man darley you're really trying not to make this thread tread that way. It's going to happen, just embrace it.

But seriously: This game has a great concept, lets hope they pull it off.

urahonky on
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the earthquake isn't cause by some titanic drilling machine crewed by hardy mole-men I'm going to be very upset.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
    edited July 2008
    There's just no way to mention her without an argument seething up as a result.

But yes, it's the concept for the game that's got me interested, especially after seeing Cloverfield recently. Yes the story was as obvious and generic as you can get, but I absolutely loved the presentation for it, and just wish they'd ended it a few minutes earlier. That said, it's the idea of experiencing a catastrophic event like that from the perspective of someone actually caught up in it that gets me excited. Yes a monster is not an earthquake, but you get what I'm saying.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They need to have a really awesome physics engine with lots of interaction of the player and the environment.

I'm thinking Alone in the dark but with even more stuff to do.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope this turns out just as great as Alone in the Dark did for them.

Shady3011 on
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    and just wish they'd ended it a few minutes earlier.

Aw, (Are cloverfield spoilers really spoilers still?)
    You wanted them to escape, me too man me too.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
    edited July 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »

Haha, actually no
    I wanted it to end in the helicopter, without showing the monster. That bit was completely unnecessary and killed the ending of the film. If they wanted Hud dead, they could've just had him die in the crash and then get the other two to pick up the camera to record their final message, just like in the tunnel

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »

Haha, actually no
    I wanted it to end in the helicopter, without showing the monster. That bit was completely unnecessary and killed the ending of the film. If they wanted Hud dead, they could've just had him die in the crash and then get the other two to pick up the camera to record their final message, just like in the tunnel

Agreed. Still a fantastic movie. Have you seen Diary of the Dead? If only they had the the quality acting Cloverfield did it would have been a fantastic movie.

.... I mean... I Am Un-Alive... The sequel.

urahonky on
    edited July 2008
    There's just no way to mention her without an argument seething up as a result.

The only reason I bring her up is because she was used solely to generate hype on a game that I personally thought was pretty average in many regards. Not 100% her doing, and it's definitely not her fault that outlets generally attributed way too much to her, but I'm a bit cynical, and seeing her name next to an unveiled project gives me the same impression.

The rumor posted in the OP states the game has been in development for three years. So what'd Ubi do? Toss her onto the project lead once AC sold gangbusters? Again. Cynical. Again, it affects my perception of an otherwise really cool sounding game. I hope the game does well, and as with AC, I'll give it a fair chance regardless. But if Ubi has to showcase it with a hot chick who has little credentials in order to get people interested in a game by a shaky development team, then I'll prepare to again be disappointed.

Also, I'll never watch Cloverfield because I wanted it to be Cthulu so bad and it wasn't. :(

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    I don't see what's wrong with Ubisoft using an attractive (yeah different opinions but we can all agree she isn't ugly) female to promote their products.

Every other firm/industry is doing it, why is it so bad with games?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Because it's sleazy and just because Michael jumped off the bridge, doesn't mean Hector should too.

BlackDove on
    edited July 2008
    why is it so bad with games?

Let's think of some people who are usually brought out to pimp games.

- Shiggy
    - Sid Meier
    - Will Wright
    - Peter Molyneux

What did these guys do before their name became a selling point? Create fresh, new, amazing games. After they proved they were worth their salt were they a "house hold" name. Generally when I see any of them, they're demoing their latest release, like with Will Wright and Spore.

What do I usually see when I see a picture of Jade Raymond? Her standing there, with five feet of space behind her, and then the entire development team.
    Every other firm/industry is doing it, why is it so bad with games?

This is absolutely awful.

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    Which is why I'm asking that we draw a line under it. Discussing her position and involvement in the game doesn't help anything at all. On one side you have people saying she's just a pretty face to wheel out and sell the game to reclusive nerds, or people saying it's patronising to think of her as anything other than "just another developer" because we shouldn't acknowledge that she's attractive and there aren't a lot of high-profile female developers, and then you do have the pathetic nerds who just harp on endlessly about "Jade Raymond is so hotttt!!" who could also do with growing up.

Beneath all that, there's actually an interesting game being made by some people, which is what I care about.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    Fair enough.

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    I don't mean that as a personal attack on anyone, you're all good people and it's a discussion potentially worth having. It's just that we all remember the way the Assassin's Creed threads quickly disappeared down that drain, and I'd rather avoid more of the same.

Hugs and love for everyone?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    I don't mean that as a personal attack on anyone, you're all good people and it's a discussion potentially worth having. It's just that we all remember the way the Assassin's Creed threads quickly disappeared down that drain, and I'd rather avoid more of the same.

Hugs and love for everyone?

I'll take a double order of love (light on the hugs), please.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Saw that last night, shame it's pre-rendered but I love that there's no sign of anything supernatural, no zombies or monsters or ghosts or spirits. I'm keeping everything crossed that it will be a case of surviving an earthquake-demolished Chicago, rather than anything silly beyond that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

My knife is ready.

I'm a knife... knifin' around...

cutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcut

Delzhand on
    edited July 2008
    I liked the trick he had with the baddies in the middle of the trailer.

Ever read The Road? Made me think of that. People turning on each other, the need for water and nourishment, etc.

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    I haven't, but the name sounds familiar.
    The bit with the bottle, I hope that was more than just some storytelling, and hope that it's at least a hint that you'll be able to use the environment to get out of situations and stuff. Obviously if it boils down to "lure unfriendly people to glass then break glass" then that'd be the crappy end of the stick, but if you're surrounded by a crumbling city, it'd be good if you can use that to your advantage.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    Made me think of Cloverfield personally. Some fucking yuppie having his and his city's shit ruined by a monster from underneath.

The whole tie and Starbucks, plus the obvious loss of soul for being a slave to the machine put me off if that's going to be the protagonist. All he's missing is a whiny girlfriend he'll be with "forever" and a cellphone to complete the picture.

But I'm probably just a Jaded kind of guy.

*shiver*

BlackDove on
    edited July 2008
    Nice pun

I also got a Cloverfield "city's just been trashed" feel, but I'm going to wait and see what the character's actually like before making any big decisions.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll see you upstairs, Adam!

slash000 on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    That city is way too clean to be Chicago.

I mean after the earthquake.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Saw that last night, shame it's pre-rendered but I love that there's no sign of anything supernatural, no zombies or monsters or ghosts or spirits. I'm keeping everything crossed that it will be a case of surviving an earthquake-demolished Chicago, rather than anything silly beyond that.

It's a disaster game.

Very likely it'll end with terrorists or aliens or something.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited July 2008

It's a disaster game.

I like the evil accountants actually,I hope they stay with them.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's a disaster game.

The final boss is...
    Gerry from HR.

Diarmuid on
    edited July 2008
    Diarmuid wrote: »

It's a disaster game.

The final boss is...
    Gerry from HR.

"It appears you're late for your meeting.. WITH PAIN!"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    Diarmuid wrote: »

It's a disaster game.

The final boss is...
    miltonlookspg4.jpg

Fixed.

Sheep on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I am Alive is a horrible name.

Kinda like You are Empty, which is a terrible game.

What about I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream?

Misanthropic on