As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goozex thread: free game no longer avaliable, also: European network starting up

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Huh. I could use a free PS3. Neat.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

3 active referrals? :( Come on, my 8 inactive referrals! I need 2 more of you to start trading!

(Should I change my first post in this thread to not have my referral link? I'm not trying to trick anyone and it was in jest, but I'd rather not get jailed for it.)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    EDIT: Last thread's OP put someone else's referral link in the OP because they didn't realize it was one. They thought it was simply the special promotion link. :)

And I'm still kicking myself over the score of free games I missed out on.

*kick*

I ended up with a total of five games though. Can't really complain for not paying a single penny.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    signed up using urahonky's link. I think I'll save my free 100 pts until I have enough to re-buy my stolen Mass Effect, or perhaps CoD4. Until then I will probably just be selling.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Referal link!

I wish Medieval 2 Gold Pack didn't cost 50 more points than I have D:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have over 100 referrals

because I am amazing

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have over 100 referrals

because I am amazing

Because you made that topic in SE++. I'm so jealous.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wish you could get the consoles themselves from this.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zenitram wrote: »
    signed up using urahonky's link. I think I'll save my free 100 pts until I have enough to re-buy my stolen Mass Effect, or perhaps CoD4. Until then I will probably just be selling.

I heart you!

urahonky on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rejoice in my luck. I received Hitman: Blood Money in the mail today. I open the package hoping to install the game as I've done close to nothing today. There was no disc in the case. I PM'd the guy hoping I get this all sorted out smoothly.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Where did you get the picture for your avatar?

Schide on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Where did you get the picture for your avatar?

From a Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen cover from the looks of it.
    http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=33%3Aweird-science-index&id=473%3Athis-robot-is-trained-to-smash-your-camera&Itemid=24

Couscous on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uh, shit.

The copy of halo 3 that was sent to me is in french, and there's no options to switch to english tracks.

Darn you, Quebec! I don't speak french yet! :(

I emailed goozex about it, hopefully I can get a proper copy.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now I'm not selfish enough to pimp out my referral link in my post to get free points. My sig on the other hand...

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hot damn, I'm getting Bushido Blade in the mail! I've been waiting for this forever.

...Now I have 100 points, 17 trade credits and no games I want to trade out for points...

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cough [url=http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=594365284112
    ]referral link[/url] cough

as far as the guy who sent it to apt 6 rather than 612, there is a good chance it will still get delivered as long as most of it is correct

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mts wrote: »
    cough [url=http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=594365284112
    ]referral link[/url] cough

as far as the guy who sent it to apt 6 rather than 612, there is a good chance it will still get delivered as long as most of it is correct

I keep getting mail in my mailbox addressed to the previous occupant that doesn't even have a unit number, just a name and the address of the building. Postal workers get to know who lives where.

freakish light on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love it when people sign up for Goozex, list a bunch of games, and then forget about it. I also love how Goozex keeps matching me with these people.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love it when people sign up for Goozex, list a bunch of games, and then forget about it. I also love how Goozex keeps matching me with these people.

Ughh...I hate that. It's happening more often now than before when I first signed up.

What I don't understand is, do they not check their email? Are they just like deleting the email that tells them they're matched? It's so annoying, especially when you PM them and they don't answer you at all....frustration ensues.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some guy at work was selling GTA4 for $30. Just bought it and immediately turned it around for 1000 points (I already have it). Nothing like a $20 profit :)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

That should change now that games that time out automatically get put on hold.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So I got Killer 7, and I'm lovin' it. The game has a weird and awesome sense of style that manages to scare the crap outta me. Also, seeing as how the Dark Knight movie is coming up, I was wondering if anyone thought of the idea of a jokerified Heaven Smile avatar. What with their creepy laughter and their suicidal exploding tendencies, it would be the perfect match.

I just have to find a decent picture of a Heaven Smile and figure out how to properly jokerify it with mspaint.

Man, this guy got me thinking about killer7 again yesterday, and now I want to play it SO BAD. 40th place in line, Goozex? REALLY? Frick. People get out there and trade, trade, trade!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I got Killer 7, and I'm lovin' it. The game has a weird and awesome sense of style that manages to scare the crap outta me. Also, seeing as how the Dark Knight movie is coming up, I was wondering if anyone thought of the idea of a jokerified Heaven Smile avatar. What with their creepy laughter and their suicidal exploding tendencies, it would be the perfect match.

I just have to find a decent picture of a Heaven Smile and figure out how to properly jokerify it with mspaint.

Man, this guy got me thinking about killer7 again yesterday, and now I want to play it SO BAD. 40th place in line, Goozex? REALLY? Frick. People get out there and trade, trade, trade!

PS2: http://product.half.ebay.com/Killer-7_W0QQprZ44154727QQtgZinfo
    GCN: http://product.half.ebay.com/Killer-7_W0QQprZ30732222QQtgZinfo

urahonky on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd really like to use this service, but a couple things have kept me from starting so far. Maybe someone could address these issues and help out.

1) I want the games with their booklets & cases and feel like those will be hard to get, as most people probably do what's easiest to ship.

2) I suck at shipping things, in general, and I don't want to have to drive to the post office every time I send out a game, because the lines there often take 20-30 minutes. Is there some easier way to send things out?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    1) Yah, ask for full package and that's what you get.

2) Print off Paypal labels, and stick them on your package and ship them off yourself. Also, most post offices have an automated system for you to ship off your stuff.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Strato wrote: »
    I'd really like to use this service, but a couple things have kept me from starting so far. Maybe someone could address these issues and help out.

1) I want the games with their booklets & cases and feel like those will be hard to get, as people probably do what's easiest to ship.

2) The whole packaging and shipping process seems like a huge pain. I don't want to have to drive to the post office every time I send out a game, because the lines there often take 20-30 minutes. Is there some easy way to just send it from home?

So I guess basically I feel like I won't be able to get any games with boxes and that shipping out games will turn into a huge ordeal.

1) There are 3 different levels of availability: full package (everything, including accessories and even the box the thing came in, supposedly. Though don't count on the box, and even accessories are sometimes iffy - PM the seller), disc and manual, and disc only.
    I have found that full package is one of the most common choices and most people do not just do disc only unless the games are older or perhaps some PC games where the disc didn't really have a case. You can always check the games availability in each of the three choices.

When you say boxes, do you mean PC boxes (which are now mostly just the large DVD case) or video game boxes (which are now just a dvd case)? Or do you mean older stuff in boxes (which I doubt you would get, most people throw them away)?

2) Most games in a DVD-sized case fit into a #0 bubble mailer. These can be picked up cheaply online or at WalMart. Paypal allows you to print out shipping labels at home, if you know the weight of your package. So you will need a scale if you don't want to go someplace that has one. I have a mailing scale at work, so I weigh my packages at work and then mail them off later. Paypal is also the cheapest price for mailing as well, as they include delivery confirmation (not required, but a must IMO) for only 18 cents instead of the usual 75 at the post office. Plus they have cheaper prices for each weight. Oh, and you don't have to print it on label paper (though it's the easier way, even if more expensive), you can print it on normal paper and just use clear packing tape to attach it to the mailer.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, I had no idea about Paypal. That's really, really helpful. And it's very good to hear it's common to get the game cases too.

Last question for now, about how long should I expect to wait to get a new release from Goozex?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If you jump in line early you MIGHT get it soon, but otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, I had no idea about Paypal. And it's good to hear I can get the game cases too.

Last question for now, about how long should I expect to wait to get a new release from Goozex?

Depends on replay value and multiplayer content, pretty much (e.g. Mario Kart Wii is moving a lot slower than Grand Theft Auto IV). Probably a month or two, if you get in line early. I've found it's not all that great for getting new releases, but then what used game setup is?

now, if you want to sell a new-ish release, it's wonderful.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, I had no idea about Paypal. That's really, really helpful. And it's very good to hear it's common to get the game cases too.

Probably at least 3 weeks, depending on how early you put in your request for the game.

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I know, but money's tight and Goozex points aren't. If I buy a game the wife will probably put me in a sling.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Hmm, I wish I could trade DVDs too. :)

Strato on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It really does depend on a game as far as the availability of new games. If it's a dud, lots of copies will show up quickly. If it's short and has no replay or multiplayer value, it will show up quickly. If it's long/replayable/good multiplayer, it could be a month or longer before it's readily available.

I hopped into the Mario Kart Wii queue the day it came out, and was about #70 in line if I remember correctly. I'm now #5 or so who are ready to trade (there are others in front of me who either have it on hold, or don't have the points/trade credits). So it can take a while.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I know, but money's tight and Goozex points aren't. If I buy a game the wife will probably put me in a sling.

Haha I hear ya.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so question about being on hold. does it give you a place in line, which then moves up with each subsequent trade or do you lock in at say 50 place, and when you go active, you take that place back up. the wording on the site leads me to believe that its the latter

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *COUGH* http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=568310205947 *COUGH*

MTS: You move up with each trade. So if you are on hold in 10th and 5 trades happen, you are now in 5th place (on hold).

Also, when on hold, your place in line seems huge but it's actually a lot less. Currently I am OFFERING Motorstorm on hold and I'm in the 80's. If I activated it however, I would in the 20's because lots of other people aren't active.

Same works with requests. I am in the 70's for Super Mario Galaxy but if I activated it, I would be put to 1 because no one else has the points/open trade slots.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mts wrote: »
    so question about being on hold. does it give you a place in line, which then moves up with each subsequent trade or do you lock in at say 50 place, and when you go active, you take that place back up. the wording on the site leads me to believe that its the latter

You move up, yes, but people who are not on hold get to pass you as if you weren't there.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thats what i thought but it appeared otherwise from the description on the site

man i have more points that i know what to do with. Have almost 3000 right now.

its yelling at me trying to get me to needlessly add more games to my requests....

ok i failed and activated FFTA2. i am weak

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What is the point of stockpiling a ton of points anyway?

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    With the way the economy is, who knows when Goozex points will be worth more than the dollar. Maybe a few months from now those points will be worth twice as much!

Won't you feel stupid?

urahonky on