As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Freelancer - Discovery Mod

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Lamoid wrote: »
    So it's not like were going to go on at a certain time, more like just showing up and going with who's there? I can dig that.
    *edit* oh you're using vista Sorenson? have you tried running the mod manager as administrator?
    I can run it, the problem apparently is getting the god damn mod to extract from the .flmod properly to the mods/Discovery folder without it cocking up one thing or another. I already run Vista as administrator so that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: And now it's showing mods in the list that don't even appear in the mods directory and that should have been wiped out when I flushed FLMM. Great.

You can manually extract the mod. It should be named something like modname.zip.flmod, either cut the flmod off and open with winzip or such or straight open with such a program and do it yourself

Arrath on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OK, sods to the mod manager - how's about I just extract the mod directly to my Freelancer folder? It's not like I'm playing anything else, anyway.

Sorenson on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good news everyone!

I fixed the "can't connect to internet game" thing!

However, for the guy on Vista who can't connect - dunno what to do!

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Learn to engine shutoff dog fight.

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

I may or may not get into this, we'll see.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

All the good "dogfighters" use engine shut off to fight. Otherwise your movements are too predictable.

I would join in but im already on the discovery RP server, and I don't feel like regrinding that first 10million =/

FYI, the armored transport makes a great light gunboat once you get the shield upgrade for it.

Morkath on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

All the good "dogfighters" use engine shut off to fight. Otherwise your movements are too predictable.

I would join in but im already on the discovery RP server, and I don't feel like regrinding that first 10million =/

FYI, the armored transport makes a great light gunboat once you get the shield upgrade for it.

I'd play on the official server, as it has lots of people and lots of role playing, but it's in the Czech Republic and I'm in the United States and it is laggy as all hell. You can fly around and chat fine, but when it comes to fighting other ships? Forget about it. They jerk around and a quick dog fight turns into a several minute long engagement.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I got out my disc, and I can't find my cd key. Does anyone know where they printed the thing? Is it on the manual or something?

ForgottenVariable on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    So I got out my disc, and I can't find my cd key. Does anyone know where they printed the thing? Is it on the manual or something?

There isn't one!

This game came out before the stupid, "ZOMG we require a blood sacrifice to proove identity" craze.

Edit:
    Also, yeah Dashui, mine gets kinda laggy sometimes, but I'm usually ok, im on the west coast.

But then as I stated I'm flying a armored transport as a mock gunboat, so I don't really have to do alot of moving around heh.

Morkath on
    edited July 2008
    Morkath wrote: »

There isn't one!

This game came out before the stupid, "ZOMG we require a blood sacrifice to proove identity" craze.

Oh, fantastic. I'll be totally in on this tomorrow. I miss playing this game, it is so good in a decent group.

Also, does anyone remember when we played way back when and sieged one of the main sectors with a bunch of capital ships? That was fun.

ForgottenVariable on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, 100 points on Goozex, I might have to give it a shot... I had this way back when it was new but I have since misplaced it.

Zenitram on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game had really atmospheric music.

Shujaa on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Finally got on the server, that was fun blasting pirates with ya'll.

BlueDestiny on
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So we got a group of four people going.

The Space Communist Pirates or Freelance Cosmonauts are ago.

And I just played for 7 hours holy shit.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game is made for screenshots.

screens.jpg

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Will there be gangs? Like in Grease? Maybe a dance-off? In space?
    I should be on tonight. Hooray!

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Back when I was more active in Freelancer, it always seemed like I could just never quite get a good enough connection to fight AI pirate very well.

I could blast 'em up good in single player, offline play. But online, there was just enough lag to make 'em zig & zag all over and I couldn't keep anything targeted.

So my usual freelancer routine was to blast my way to a "neutral" status with most of the major pirate factions, in order to sneak out to that one station and buy a Dromedary (275 cargo, w00t).

Then I'd start hauling cargo for cash. My usual run was to take perishables through the border regions, I had downloaded a utility that calculated how much profit you'd make on various trade runs and found that I could make a killing off of one circuit...I think I was taking luxury food to this one cruise ship, then coming back through and picking up alien organisms off one of the Zoner stations and hauling them back to a research station in Cambridge.

In order to make the run, you have to fly through both radiation and pirate infested areas, and I often had issues with other players deciding to fire on me as well. I got good enough at it that I rarely had issues even if I got hit with a cruise disruptor...engine kill is a lifesaver for freighter pilots too, not just dogfighters. Since you can just tap your afterburner key and maintain your momentum, you can move at near-full afterburner speed to escape and never run out of energy.

citizen059 on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I ran the server in a few of the incarnations of the Freelancer Game On. The only problem I had then, which is why I probably won't get in on it this time, is that, just like in MMOs, some people level faster than others. The difference here is the smaller playerbase. It got to where it was impossible to find a group in your level range.

Still, I may give it a go for old times sake.

Sir Carcass on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sweet, I just got the wife playing Freelancer with me on LAN, same mod even. May have to move our activities to the internets.

Ce n'est pa un bookmark.

Fleeb on
    edited July 2008
    I ran the server in a few of the incarnations of the Freelancer Game On. The only problem I had then, which is why I probably won't get in on it this time, is that, just like in MMOs, some people level faster than others. The difference here is the smaller playerbase. It got to where it was impossible to find a group in your level range.

I remember your server, it was very nice and had a good ping. I'd like to thank you for running it, though I can't quite remember what mod we used.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This sounds really fun, as I love Space Pew Pew... Any ideas where to look to pick this up?

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Well, if you've got a better ship and group with someone who doesn't have a good ship, you can always take on a big mission for them to get part of that big reward. It's kind of like power leveling them. Or since I'm an admin on this server, maybe I'll give away some free cash to get someone a bit up to speed. :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toys R Us, 9.99
    Overstock, 9.95

This thread is tempting me to reinstall it. I found Freelancer to be technically great. Not once in all the times running it did it ever crash or hang or have any other technical problems. Hmm tempting..

Aside from the ships, does the mod add any gameplay elements? Vanilla Freelancer gameplay with more ships isn't to appetizing.

and if we use hamachi, we dont have to edit anything right?

Harakhti on
    edited July 2008
    Harakhti wrote: »
    Toys R Us, 9.99
    Overstock, 9.95

This thread is tempting me to reinstall it. I found Freelancer to be technically great. Not once in all the times running it did it ever crash or hang or have any other technical problems. Hmm tempting..

Aside from the ships, does the mod add any gameplay elements? Vanilla Freelancer gameplay with more ships isn't to appetizing.

and if we use hamachi, we dont have to edit anything right?

Discovery does add a bunch of roleplay elements to the game.

Also, yes to your hamachi question. But you don't even need hamachi to connect. just edit the .ini file!

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    edited July 2008
    Okay, getting started...

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited July 2008
    Did someone say screeeen dummmp?

spoilerd for teh huge

heaven2.jpg

heaven.jpg

hispania.jpg

screen.jpg

station.jpg

system.jpg

spaace.jpg

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I remember your server, it was very nice and had a good ping. I'd like to thank you for running it, though I can't quite remember what mod we used.

You're very welcome. :)

I'm pretty sure I was running an older version of the Discovery mod. We tried a couple before settling on that one, I believe.
    Dashui wrote: »
    Well, if you've got a better ship and group with someone who doesn't have a good ship, you can always take on a big mission for them to get part of that big reward. It's kind of like power leveling them. Or since I'm an admin on this server, maybe I'll give away some free cash to get someone a bit up to speed. :P

Heh, well the problem was being the little guy. You're fighting pirates in the starting system while everyone else is off in the border systems fighting Nomads. But hey, I won't turn down free credits.

I may just fire it back up. While I found the gameplay ultimately disappointing, there's just something about the ambience and the atmosphere the game has.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2008
    There was some giant alien installation thing we ran into while smuggling caradime to liberty.

It was like some movie, Smugglers down on their luck run across some alien thing.

It also made my internets cry.

Edit:

Actually, everyone is new now, except for me, Lamoid, and Exoplasm. And we are hardly up there.

Almost everybody is around newyork.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Think I'm too used to playing EVE (and it's not like I played that alot). I 'figured out' the hard way that planets were... solid. o_O

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure how I feel about this discovery mod thing.

On one hand new/more ships is fine.

on the other, the prices on many things are pretty retarded. Also for some reason the mod makes my pc choke and the base game runs more than flawlessly. And the load times are 10x what they were.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    battles are alot more difficult now too. Probably due to npcs using nanos and batts.

Harakhti on
    edited July 2008
    Since I'm a freak who can't sleep when most people do I spent a few hours making the stats page awesome.

OLD VS NEW comparison:
    siterenoeh8.jpg
    on the other, the prices on many things are pretty retarded. Also for some reason the mod makes my pc choke and the base game runs more than flawlessly. And the load times are 10x what they were.

I know the retarded prices are mostly for the more powerful ships. No idea why it runs slower for you; I have not seen a difference between vanilla and Discovery. Anyone else having issues with that? Maybe some settings can be tweaked.

Edit: By the way, anyone know if there is an easy way to tweak missions a bit? Maybe make them a little more rewarding since the NPCs are really fucking hardcore when they have a supply of shield batteries and nano-bots. This would please me greatly if it were easy to do.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    This sounds really fun, as I love Space Pew Pew... Any ideas where to look to pick this up?

Last I saw, Target had it for $10 in the bargain software aisle.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
    edited July 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Edit: By the way, anyone know if there is an easy way to tweak missions a bit? Maybe make them a little more rewarding since the NPCs are really fucking hardcore when they have a supply of shield batteries and nano-bots. This would please me greatly if it were easy to do.

It probably can be done through the INI files. From what I remember, pretty much everything was tweakable through those. If you did make changes, though, you'd have to make them available for everyone that plays your server. I don't think there's any kind of autodownload or anything.

Sir Carcass on
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So are full missile boats really viable? How often does one have to go get more missiles?

Also, how does one locate wrecks?

pantsy on
    edited July 2008
    i have a missle boat, it's pretty hard to hit anything since im such a slow ship but when I do hit, yeah baby.
    The biggest problem is having to buy all those missles back when I die.
    Wrecks are usually in high radiation areas and nebulae, it marks it on your map with a big red X when you find one.

Also: Does anyone know what the game considers to be the names of the various factions? I checked the .ini for FLHook (or FLShell) and it says the base names but I can't find the faction ones.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »
    Did someone say screeeen dummmp?

spoilerd for teh huge

heaven2.jpg

heaven.jpg

hispania.jpg

screen.jpg

station.jpg

system.jpg

spaace.jpg

*sniffle*

Screenshots from Freelancer always fill my heart with happy. I think it's time to go dig out my installation disc now.

Also, http://www.lancersreactor.com/phpBB3/

<3

Edit: Freelancer installed, Discovery installed, and successfully connected to the server using the ini file change. I'll be back to actually play the game when I have some free time. ;)

citizen059 on
    edited July 2008
    The lag on NPC's has gotten really bad recently.

Anyway we can fix this?

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Here's a quick question, since I haven't had a chance to launch into space yet...are you starting new players with a neutral rep with all factions? Or is it set up to the defaults where you're friendly w/ police & hated by pirates?

citizen059 on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I keep getting install errors that require constant retries to get past, but hopefully I'll be able to install.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    pantsy wrote: »
    So are full missile boats really viable? How often does one have to go get more missiles?

I don't know how it works with the mod, but in core Freelancer you can only hold 50 missles of any given type, regardless of how many launchers you have. You can place a missle launcher on every non-turret gun hardpoint if you want, so some of the HF's and VHF's can mount up to six missle launchers, and hitting with three or more missles at the same time is usually an instant kill versus same-level targets. You can also mix and match your launchers if you want, so that you can carry 50 missles of each type.

There are three classes of missle: high-damage low-tracking, low-damage high-tracking, and anti-shield. Anti-shield guns do enough shield damage though that EMP missles are pretty worthless. Best core missle boat would probably be the Outcast Saber with an EMP turret, two nomad blasters, two class-9 high tracking missles, and two class-9 high damage missles.

Missles, torpedoes, and mines all have a burst radius though, so be careful about firing at point-blank range.

Also, the Discovery mod may very well change how missle mounts and ammo work. A common change is assigning missles to cargo space instead of having a flat 50 limit, but unfortunately the base frigates don't support high-level weapon mounts.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23