As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW for the Year One Million

13»

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Since there isn't really a full on chat thread for GV I'll hide this in here.
    Photo series on immigrant workers as heroes.
    http://www.dulcepinzon.com/en_projects_superhero.htm#

Aquaman working in a fish market D:

Lux on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If anyone "replaced" J'onn, it'd probably be Jemm, a character Grant Morrison used in his JLA run.

KVW on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    If anyone "replaced" J'onn, it'd probably be Jemm, a character Grant Morrison used in his JLA run.

Truly outrageous.

Robos A Go Go on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Since there isn't really a full on chat thread for GV I'll hide this in here.
    Photo series on immigrant workers as heroes.
    http://www.dulcepinzon.com/en_projects_superhero.htm#

Aquaman working in a fish market D:

Don't forget Robin as a gigolo.

akajaybay on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    take it to the costumes thread, fella

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    He'll probably be a lesbian.

Greg Rucka to write the new Martian Manhunter series, with J'enn J'onnz as the take-no-shit, lesbian detective that can hang with the boys.

Munch on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Soooo, Goon.

It's going to a kind of dark place. I'm not sure how big I am on my hilariously over the top funny book becoming a gritty fantasy noir with occasional funny.

werehippy on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Batman scene in Booster Gold was absolutely fantastic.
    "Let the world think you're crazy if that's what it takes to be the best you can be."

Captain Britain was full of win.
    John Lennon raging at the Skrulls that Spitfire was willing to sacrifice herself for a Skrull, all the flags ripping loose and flying to Merlin and that final line from Captain Britain. "We just don't like to make a fuss." Awesome!

JSA
    I had guessed that Gog was the reason Power Girl was going to be in Earth 2 for the Annual, but... holy crap! Doctor Mid Nite can see! Starman's not crazy! Holy crap!

Desktop Hippie on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Let the world think you're crazy if that's what it takes to be the best you can be."

John Lennon raging at the Skrulls that Spitfire was willing to sacrifice herself for a Skrull, all the flags ripping loose and flying to Merlin and that final line from Captain Britain. "We just don't like to make a fuss." Awesome!

JSA
    I had guessed that Gog was the reason Power Girl was going to be in Earth 2 for the Annual, but... holy crap! Doctor Mid Nite can see! Starman's not crazy! Holy crap!

Re JSA:
    I would be so happy, SO happy, if they honestly leave Gog walking around, making Africa a nice place to live, and simply don't have him go evil. I hate the idea that everything has to be so damned obvious...

mattharvest on
    edited July 2008

JSA

Re JSA:
    I would be so happy, SO happy, if they honestly leave Gog walking around, making Africa a nice place to live, and simply don't have him go evil. I hate the idea that everything has to be so damned obvious...
    I don't think he's going to be evil per se. I think it's more a case that "curing" Africa of war is going to involve making some fairly drastic changes that some in the JSA will be less than happy with.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited July 2008

JSA

Re JSA:
    I don't think he's going to be evil per se. I think it's more a case that "curing" Africa of war is going to involve making some fairly drastic changes that some in the JSA will be less than happy with.

I figure he kills or does something bad to "eradicate war" that splits up the heroes with those that he's helped on one side and the rest on the other side in a mini-civil war type deal. It would also be interesting if KC Superman, who mysteriously doesnt want to go home, if Gog is to be believed, did something to "get revenge" on Gog that caused the birth of Magog / shit to hit the fan.

KVW on
    edited July 2008
    I figure he kills or does something bad to "eradicate war" that splits up the heroes with those that he's helped on one side and the rest on the other side in a mini-civil war type deal. It would also be interesting if KC Superman, who mysteriously doesnt want to go home, if Gog is to be believed, did something to "get revenge" on Gog that caused the birth of Magog / shit to hit the fan.
    Not all he helped - In the preview covers showing one side against the other, Starman seems to be on the against Gog side.

I'm fairly sure Lance becomes the new Magog, since his power is shown to be linked to Gog's in the issue, and he seems to agree with what Gog is doing.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Not all he helped - In the preview covers showing one side against the other, Starman seems to be on the against Gog side.

I'm fairly sure Lance becomes the new Magog, since his power is shown to be linked to Gog's in the issue, and he seems to agree with what Gog is doing.
    Starman even says that him not being crazy "isn't good"

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Starman even says that him not being crazy "isn't good"

That reminds me! Who was it who called
    Mr. Terrific by himself refusing to believe Gog existed? Because it made me laugh that in this issue that's kind of what happened, even though that was a sad moment.

Desktop Hippie on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On Gog.
    I think he's going to go to the Kingdom Come universe.

And fix it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    On Gog.
    I think he's going to go to the Kingdom Come universe.

And fix it.
    You know, that wouldn't be a bad solution, so long as he does something like Lucifer did over in Vertigo. I'd like to see stories about people abandoning New Earth for Gog's World, etc.

mattharvest on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is this JSA storyline going to play into Final Crisis at all? Y'know, being as it's tangentically related to the Third World > Fourth World transition?

Tach on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geoff appears to be doing his own thing here, if it's one critercism I have about him is that he tends to insert everything he does into everything else but when it comes to other peoples stuff he tends to take his ball and go off to play with his own toys.

Cade on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    but JOhns is heavily involved in Final Crisis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That he is, my post was on his overall style.

Cade on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that seems to be true. Green Lantern is doing fuck all with Final Crisis, apparently preferring to continue building up to Blackest Night

not that i can really blame him

Rans on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    that seems to be true. Green Lantern is doing fuck all with Final Crisis, apparently preferring to continue building up to Blackest Night

Well if it's anything like Sinestro War it'll blow Final Crisis out of the water anyway.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited July 2008
    From Booster Gold.
    scan22vx9zv7.jpg

That'd goddamn better not be Black Beetle. S'all I'm sayin'.

Munch on
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    From Booster Gold.
    scan22vx9zv7.jpg

That'd goddamn better not be Black Beetle. S'all I'm sayin'.
    Wasn't Ted Kord known for appearing only in silhouette and laughing maniacally?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if you're familiar with the JLI/E/Superbuddy stories, but "Bwa-ha-ha!" is a staple of those books, and was often used by Beetle. As for the silhouette issue, remember that both Black Beetle and Blue Beetle went into the timesphere together, after Black Beetle lost his scarab. At this point we don't know how that situation resolved itself, or who got possession of the scarab in the ensuing melee. The silhouette may just be a way of heightening tension until the dramatic reveal.

Plus, given that Johns has been working in little nods towards Kingdom Come in JSA, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he'd set Ted up to have a scarab, as a reference to his KC appearance.

As I mentioned when the last issue came out, I don't see Johns going through this whole story just to reset the status quo on Ted and set up a lame, completely un-fleshed out villain for future use.

By the by, was I the only one kind of disappointed by this last arc of Booster Gold? It seemed to drag on forever, was composed mainly of filler, and then ended really randomly. Yeah, Goldstar's back and seriously, that's awesome since I liked her in the old Booster series. But it's so out of left field; she was mentioned once in the very first issue, and then every now and then as one of the people that Booster had failed over the years. But the audience was given no reason whatsoever to care about her return, if they'd never read her past appearances. And did anything ever happen with Daniel Carter and the reporter suiting up as Supernova/Goldstar? I really can't remember. I disliked how Booster's suddenly all chummy with Batman too; this is the guy who got his best friend killed. The guy whose face he tried to blow off with his wrist blasters. The guy who made him sit in his dead best friend's spaceship while the "real" heroes stormed Brother Eye, the thing responsible for his best friend's death. But now he's ready to be all chummy? Come on.

Let's not even get into how retarded Michelle's resurrection was. Rip said that she was able to come back since she was from "the future," but whose future? Why doesn't her resurrection fuck up the Legion timeline, or the One Million for that matter? And what was with the little blurb about the Carter family going down in history as infamous time police? The whole reason Booster has to act like an idiot is so nobody would suspect he was capable of doing so many amazing things. But for some reason his ancestors, whom any time-traveling villain could easily reach, are exempt from this simple rule.

I really felt let down by the issue, because it didn't feel like a whole story. It felt like Johns and Katz wanted to make a feel-good piece of fanwank, and on that level, it succeeded. My inner fan that squeals at obscure callbacks to random bits of continuity is happy, but as an average reader I'm left saying, "Wait, really? That's the ending? Alright.."

I'm glad the book's getting back to the time-traveling shenanigans next month, and I hope the next writer after Dixon is able to pen a story that hangs together a bit better.

Munch on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

isnt the Rage of the Red Lanterns special a Final Crisis tie-in?

and the Legion of the 3 Worlds is an FC tie-in and that spins out of his Action Comics run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ooohhh right, forgot about the Rage special

Rans on
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I don't know if you're familiar with the JLI/E/Superbuddy stories, but "Bwa-ha-ha!" is a staple of those books, and was often used by Beetle. As for the silhouette issue, remember that both Black Beetle and Blue Beetle went into the timesphere together, after Black Beetle lost his scarab. At this point we don't know how that situation resolved itself, or who got possession of the scarab in the ensuing melee. The silhouette may just be a way of heightening tension until the dramatic reveal.

Plus, given that Johns has been working in little nods towards Kingdom Come in JSA, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he'd set Ted up to have a scarab, as a reference to his KC appearance.

As I mentioned when the last issue came out, I don't see Johns going through this whole story just to reset the status quo on Ted and set up a lame, completely un-fleshed out villain for future use.

By the by, was I the only one kind of disappointed by this last arc of Booster Gold? It seemed to drag on forever, was composed mainly of filler, and then ended really randomly. Yeah, Goldstar's back and seriously, that's awesome since I liked her in the old Booster series. But it's so out of left field; she was mentioned once in the very first issue, and then every now and then as one of the people that Booster had failed over the years. But the audience was given no reason whatsoever to care about her return, if they'd never read her past appearances. And did anything ever happen with Daniel Carter and the reporter suiting up as Supernova/Goldstar? I really can't remember. I disliked how Booster's suddenly all chummy with Batman too; this is the guy who got his best friend killed. The guy whose face he tried to blow off with his wrist blasters. The guy who made him sit in his dead best friend's spaceship while the "real" heroes stormed Brother Eye, the thing responsible for his best friend's death. But now he's ready to be all chummy? Come on.

Let's not even get into how retarded Michelle's resurrection was. Rip said that she was able to come back since she was from "the future," but whose future? Why doesn't her resurrection fuck up the Legion timeline, or the One Million for that matter? And what was with the little blurb about the Carter family going down in history as infamous time police? The whole reason Booster has to act like an idiot is so nobody would suspect he was capable of doing so many amazing things. But for some reason his ancestors, whom any time-traveling villain could easily reach, are exempt from this simple rule.

I really felt let down by the issue, because it didn't feel like a whole story. It felt like Johns and Katz wanted to make a feel-good piece of fanwank, and on that level, it succeeded. My inner fan that squeals at obscure callbacks to random bits of continuity is happy, but as an average reader I'm left saying, "Wait, really? That's the ending? Alright.."

I'm glad the book's getting back to the time-traveling shenanigans next month, and I hope the next writer after Dixon is able to pen a story that hangs together a bit better.

Wow, my comment was way off the mark, then.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008

the alpha lanterns are involved with FC

There aren't any "official" GL/GLC tie-in issues, but they were set-up in GL

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

the alpha lanterns are involved with FC

There aren't any "official" GL/GLC tie-in issues, but they were set-up in GL

Grant Morrison came up with the idea for the Alpha Lanterns for the sole purpose of Final Crisis. Johns ran with it for GL and built them up a bit for him. The question should probably be if they have any purpose after FC or with Johns future stories.

KVW on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn, I just read Jason Aaron's issue of Joker's Asylum. That was a good and fucked up story. Whoever says the Penguin is a joke needs to read that shit. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok now that I have finally got to reading my backlog from last week, I want to be on record as saying that 1 Million was horrible, mostly in line with what Munch Said. For a time travel comic, it can't even stick to it's own "rules". I didn't particularly like Blue Beetle 28 either.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    end o' the line, last week's motw

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.