As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You are currently talking about Diablo 3

LurkLurk Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
dr0neboy wrote: »
New thread, the same topic.

So what do you guys think, 2010 - sooner or later?

Update: Screenies:
d3_1.th.jpg

d3_3.th.jpg

d3_4.th.jpg

d3_5.th.jpg

FAQ copied from Blizzard:
What’s new about Diablo III compared to the previous Diablo games?

Exciting new classes like the witch doctor bring new gameplay options to the table. Returning classes, like the barbarian, have been completely redone with new skills to give them a feel unique to Diablo III. New customization options will provide for an even greater level of character specialization than the previous Diablo games, allowing the player to create unique characters brimming with power.

Diablo III is powered by a new graphics engine that can display characters and hordes of monsters in lush, fully 3D environments. Powerful special-effects systems and Havok-powered physics allow the player to lay waste to the Hells' minions in spectacular ways.

Also, Diablo III builds on the random environments of the previous Diablo games by introducing a host of new ways to create random scripted events throughout the game. This creates a dense and exciting world alive with quests, NPCs, dynamic encounters, and viciously challenging new monsters and bosses. Diablo III's environments add a great deal of interactivity to the game, including destructible elements and environmental obstacles that can be turned against your enemies.

In addition, Diablo III will benefit from Battle.net upgrades that will provide some exciting new features for players. Cooperative online play remains a primary focus, with multiple enhancements being planned to make connecting with your friends easier and cooperative gameplay even more fun. We'll have more details on all these aspects as well as other exciting new features at a later date.

Can you give an overview of Diablo III's storyline?

It has been twenty years since the events of Diablo II. Of those who faced the Lords of Hatred, Terror, and Destruction in the battle over the fate of Sanctuary, there are few still living who can bear to remember the horrors that the Prime Evils wrought upon the world. And of those who did not witness the terrible events firsthand, most believe the stories to be little more than myth. But something evil is stirring once again in Tristram, and it may already have claimed its first victim: Deckard Cain.

Will there be any other familiar faces in Diablo III (other than Deckard Cain)?

Yes. Players will encounter several new characters as well as a number of characters from the previous games.

Will players be visiting any familiar locations in Diablo III, such as Tristram?

Yes, definitely. Players will return to Tristram and certain other locations from the previous games, and they'll be exploring new areas of Sanctuary as well.

How many character classes are included in Diablo III? What are they?

Five character classes will be included in the game, two of which, the barbarian and witch doctor, were revealed when the game was announced at the 2008 Blizzard Entertainment Worldwide Invitational. The other classes will be announced at a later date.

Will players be able to choose the gender of their character, regardless of class?

Yes. Players will be able to create male and female characters for all five classes.

Will Diablo III be playable over Battle.net? What new features can we expect?

Yes, Diablo III will be playable over Battle.net, and Battle.net will offer some exciting new features to enhance players' Diablo III experience. We'll announce specifics and go into much more detail at a later date.

Will there be a single-player component in addition to multiplayer?

Yes. In addition to battling the hordes of the Burning Hells cooperatively with friends over Battle.net, players will be able to adventure through the world of Diablo III solo. More details on both the single-player and multiplayer experience will be revealed at a later date.

What will questing be like in Diablo III? Will it be similar to Diablo II?

Our plans for the story and quest mechanics are still under wraps. We'll go into detail on those elements of the game at a later date. We can say, however, that we expect to have class-based quests in addition to the main story-line quests.

More answers are available here.

Videos are coming.

415429-1.png?1281464977
Lurk on

• NedoNedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think more important then when the game is released will be
    "ZOMG NOT RAINBOW COLORS!"

Nedo on
    nedowan.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh phew, I thought the thread title was serious for a second.

captaink on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope we don't have to wait for Blizzcon to get more news. That'd be depressing.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Blizzcon is soon, isn't it?

captaink on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Isn't it in late fall?

Henroid on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably late 2009 for it's release date...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NedoNedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dis wrote: »
    Probably late 2009 for it's release date...

which would be summer 2010 in real time

Nedo on
    nedowan.jpg
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the gameplay video, the Witch Doctor was casting spells pretty constantly, and always had enough mana for more, but there were definitely times where he was chilling with about half mana. On the other hand, the Barb's Fury recovered nigh-instantly. Can't say for sure being a demonstration video and all, but my money's on Fury replenishing way more quickly than mana, so energy steal wouldn't be needed.

Also, if Muffin Man hadn't said "I'm colorblind, kid," I would have right now.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    If energy is a stat in Diablo 3, people are going to have a hard time adapting to putting points into it. It's blasphemous in Diablo 2.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    I think it's tough to say in a demo video like that. They're surely not going to show the "waiting for energy" parts.

captaink on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, apparently the impending release of this game is enough to make my friends play D2 again for crazy amounts of time, like it's 2002 again. And I guess they're not alone, it doesn't seem like any store in the area can keep it in stock.

Trevor on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    captaink wrote: »

It is. This is the issue that will define is Diablo III is a good game or not. You're just not a true fan like I am. I walked 15 miles through the snow to purchase the original Diablo in 1996 and then I had to walk 30 miles back through the snow to get home. I then had to deal those dang fangled floppy drives or CD-doohickies or whatever nonsense, but I got there in the end and

I forgot what I was talking about. Oh yes, damn kids and your fucking colours, get off my lawn.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the thing is: Titan Quest kinda looked like this. And Titan Quest managed to have great,vivid and colorful landscapes being burned down by monsters mixed with dark and eerie temples and caves.

I mean,if the devs of that game could do it, I am crow-eating sure that BLIZZARD can do it even better.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

It is. This is the issue that will define is Diablo III is a good game or not. You're just not a true fan like I am. I walked 15 miles through the snow to purchase the original Diablo in 1996 and then I had to walk 30 miles back through the snow to get home. I then had to deal those dang fangled floppy drives or CD-doohickies or whatever nonsense, but I got there in the end and

I forgot what I was talking about. Oh yes, damn kids and your fucking colours, get off my lawn.

I take it your lawn looks like this:

1805.jpg

Henroid on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    More like:
    darkandgrittyjn0.jpg

His yard is very "Dark and gritty" (poorly lit to hide pixilated sprites)

Edit:
    So I used the same method (reducing the resolution to 800x then increasing it back out to 1280x (because we all know you're going to run full screen anyway) and adding a light radius/making the game slightly darker and this is what I got
    d2or3vi7.jpg
    Is that diablo2 or 3? Honestly I can't tell.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there an official line anywhere as to the new way the skill trees work? From what I heard (and I very well could be wrong), all characters get all skills, and skill points now grant bonuses with particular skills instead of granting the actual skills themselves.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    all characters get all skills

I can't confirm or deny this but that definitely doesn't sound right.

W2 on
    edited July 2008
    Yea I heard the witch doctor gets whirlwind too, that sounds right.

TheStig on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    W2 wrote: »

Don't you destroy my dream of a Barbassin. Or a Barb Doctor. Or aa Assassomancer!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just in case you guys were actually confused as to Delroland's meaning, what he is saying is that all Barbs get whirlwind, and charge, and leap, etc. Then the character points gained from levelling are spent to confer bonuses to certain skills. Much like WoW.

Bama on
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    W2 wrote: »

Not right at all, did you watch the gameplay vids?

Do you think barbs can shoot carrion swarms at their pets?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Let me rephrase that for all the comedians out there:

I believe all characters get all skills FOR THEIR CLASS. No assassomancers here, just jackassomancers.

Edit: what I want to know is if Blizzard has officially confirmed this gameplay change, or if I have only heard wild internet speculation and rumor.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh God not the color shit.

The color commentary is almost the equivalent of threadshitting at this point.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Great re-appropriation of a term, or greatest re-appropriation of a term?

Bama on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure this confirms that you don't get every skill.
    Diablo3skills.jpg

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »

Great re-appropriation of a term, or greatest re-appropriation of a term?

Har har, agreed. And I like the work above with the pixelation and darkness + light radius.

I hope light radius is eliminated, with all the lighting provided by torches and such.

Henroid on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going back and playing Diablo 2 recently, I think the aspect of D3 that I'm most excited for is a revamped Battle.net system that isn't fucking retarded.

I'm pretty sure they consulted with Satan himself for his opinion on the game, you know, since it's his namesake, and his suggestions then led to the Battle.net interface. It's the only logical explanation.

"No, no, this is all wrong. You must make it display only one difficulty level, and only a random selection of 10-15 games."

Taximes on
    edited July 2008
    Diablo 3's announcement, and currently known look and features, really made me start thinking about Diablo 2 in hindsight.

Yes, Diablo 2 was the shit and very much playable. But now something has come to mind; it could be better. And things start getting looked at. Diablo 2 is going to turn into one of those games, for me, where I'm going to ask myself, "What the hell made me play it so much? It wasn't even that great."

I guess its because I thought the bullshit was worth putting up with.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Having played a bunch of Dota I can say one of the most needed functions to battle.net is the ability to create a custom game with your friends from the start. Boy do I ever love joining games only to be immediately kicked because the host is waiting for a friend. That's not so much of a problem with Diablo because of passworded games, but it's damn annoying.

ParisInFlames on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RE: Wall of Zombies

Good job explaining what the extra ranks do in that skill!

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    Good job trying to bash something that Blizzard didn't make the focus of the gameplay video because it is obviously not working properly. Or did you not notice how the mouse wasn't hovered over to display tooltips for more than not-even-a-second?

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Spell descriptions are one of those things that's going to get updated about 500 times in the beta. When you have a development team that pretty much already knows how all the skills work they tend to not realize how incomplete a description can be until you get someone that has no clue how to play the game asking questions about it.

edit: oh i just noticed some spells cost stamina while others cost fury... odd.

TheStig on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do hope D3 comes out late next year so I have a comp that can handle it.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    That's the cool thing, the longer it takes to come out, the cheaper computers that can run it on max will be.

TheStig on
    edited July 2008
    Henroid.

I was joking.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did anyone else notice that whirlwind goes up to rank 20? Is this one of those things that will clearly change or do you think the really big hitting spells and skills will allow you to really crank them up so that you have to balance being a 1 trick pony vs having multiple skills?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2008
    I think they want you to have a full action bar full of useful skills plus 1 + a swap on your mouse. (of course that's completely guessing based off the interface improvements). But I do think we'll see the whole gamut from 1-20 capped spells and not just because level 2 teleport is useless. I do think primary skills will likely be 10-20 point investments. Then again this is based off having a skill tree relatively the same size as D2, if it's massively bigger or smaller there would be more drastic changes in points to max a skill.

ParisInFlames on
    edited July 2008
    I like the idea of getting most or all skills automatically. I hope they get some of the main ones out faster than D2. There are a good many builds that really lean on level 24 or 30 skills, so those first levels are boring.

captaink on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What do extra levels in Teleport even do?

Snork on
    edited July 2008
    Lower mana cost. Now with synergies, they help out Mana Shield too.

captaink on
This discussion has been closed.