As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You are currently talking about Diablo 3

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Telekinesis helps with mana shield.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting most or all skills automatically. I hope they get some of the main ones out faster than D2. There are a good many builds that really lean on level 24 or 30 skills, so those first levels are boring.

Well, ideally if you're getting at least one level in every skill as you progress then you'll have enough assets even at low levels to have an interesting time of it. And if you are hellbent on not wasting a single spell point then you'll probably be wealthy/connected enough to get yourself some low-level +skill items to improve your starter skills until you get to the point where you can spend on what you want.

Frankly, I think it would be interesting if you were forced to place your skill points upon level up, thus ensuing a more even progression. 99 levels would still give you plenty to spend in high-level stuff, and it would force a more interesting choice to either put the points in skills that help now (which the game would be balanced to encourage) or skills that would help later due to synergies and such. I always found it a little silly that my character would remain a relative dunce until he hit level 24/30 and suddenly would become a master of all these extremely advanced techniques.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Let me rephrase that for all the comedians out there:

I believe all characters get all skills FOR THEIR CLASS. No assassomancers here, just jackassomancers.

Edit: what I want to know is if Blizzard has officially confirmed this gameplay change, or if I have only heard wild internet speculation and rumor.

Sorry dude, wasn't trying to be a comedian.

That sounds pretty good, actually, WoW-style.

W2 on
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I just say I am extremely excited by Diablo III. I am also a whore for Blizzard's sexy website.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pretty much everybody who has a PC built in the last five years is excited about Diablo III. You can't not be.

I think I'm in the minority, though, who thinks that the delay for this will not be as great as the delay for Starcraft II. Once the engine, scenarios, and sound are set the game is basically good to go to beta; the rest is just tweaking stats on items, skills, and mobs which will happen post-release anyway. I would guess that they'll get it to the point where it's stable and 90% balanced and then go ahead and release her and let the community iron out a lot of the little things.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't mind colors, really, I just wish the character models didn't make me think of this just Blizzard making a straight up Dota game. Like, fuck bases and armies, lets put you in control of one WarCraft hero and call it Diablo.

That's what the graphics look like to me. Keep the cartoony looking shit in the 'Crafts (because SC2 looks kinda cartoony to me as well).

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's funny, when I first played warcraft3 I was all like "lol, this is just warcraft2 with diablo characters in it". And now people are like "This is warcraft3 with just the heros and none of the warcraft"
    Also... paintings != cartoons.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What? Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 look nothing alike.

It's been an issue I've had with Blizzard ever since they went 3d. All of their 3d shit looks all blocky and fake like a cartoon character or something.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have yet to see a blocky sunday morning cartoon since reboot. There is no way D3's graphics would have been considered blocky 3 years ago. Quake wasn't considered blocky when it first came out yet the models have far fewer polys than anything in D3 and certainly no one said it looked cartoony. It's just a fact that blizzard makes games that you don't need a brand new $2000 computer to run so yes it may look blocky compared to those screen shots of the latest FPS that your 2 year old computer can't run.

Do you seriously want high poly characters when you have 100 skeletons on screen?

Also:
    I don't mind colors, really, I just wish the character models didn't make me think of this just Blizzard making a straight up Dota game. Like, fuck bases and armies, lets put you in control of one WarCraft hero and call it Diablo.

That's what the graphics look like to me. Keep the cartoony looking shit in the 'Crafts (because SC2 looks kinda cartoony to me as well).

You're the one who said it looked like warcraft3, not me.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If Diable 3 ends up having a pure Arcana type mage, then I hope it plays like a faster, more mobile version of the Mage from WoW. Frankly I would kill to have it so.

The magic, in particular the frost line, really had a nice combo-esque synergy to it. I also really want to be able to have many types of spells I need to use instead of spamming the same spell over and over. I want to have to use some skills more strategically and even defensively instead of just throwing my room clearing high damage spell at everything.

For those that never played, heres a sum up of the frost mage and talents: Your spells slow them down, which you can increase the damage and increase the slowing effect. Now if you take certain talents attacking a frozen target will increase the crit chance of spells by 50%. Well if you take this other talent then almost all your spells have a chance to freeze them, even if they normally didn't. Then theres other talents that increase range or decrease mana costs, etc.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    At this point I almost want infractions handed out to people who think the graphics are cartoony. God.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    IT NEEDS A CRYENGINE AND A COFFEE FILTER WITH GRIT!

AMIRITE?!

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Give me a slick BNet interface and add/upgrade servers to keep lag from spiking, and I'm happy as a me in shit.

Well, that and make the witch doctor cooler than the necro so I don't whine about his most-likely exclusion.

Monsty on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Witch Doctor already is.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree. The synergy of skills with summoned pets is fantastic.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Also they have ritualistic wars with other clans to sacrifice their warriors.

Come on.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    Hey, I didn't say he wasn't cooler. Just that I demand it!

Monsty on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also they have ritualistic wars with other clans to sacrifice their warriors.

Come on.

Not to sacrifice their warriors. To replenish their witch doctoring supplies. Because only those worthy of sacrifice are of any use.

Henroid on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While I'm not against former good guys turned evil, I hope it isn't used so much or at least isn't as black and white.

Especially the pally and necro, if you HAVE to fight em I hope its under the circumstances that they think the ends justify the means, none of this corrupted by the fell influences of Diablo.

Also, my perfect diablo 3 storyline: The forces of darkness manages to gain a foothold on Sanctuary and begin flooding it with its legions, the first act consists of you trying to stem the tide and help set up a resistance.

In the second act, Tyrael finally convinces the heavenly host to act.... unfortunately they decide to destroy sanctuary and take out hell in the process, much to Tyrael's shock. As angels swoop down and compell the church to help destroy the planet, you go stop them from performing their task.

In the third act, it is decided that a new world stone is to be formed. Blah blah blah you journey both into heaven and hell to grab the necessary componants. divided into 2 acts maybe?

In the final act, as Tyrael rebuilds a new Worldstone, both the armies of heaven and hell clash around your location. So you basically have to defend the construction

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    The barb made out alright. I would have to assume at least some of the others are okay, too. I could easily see the necro and sorc being corrupted by the pursuit of power, or some other cliche nonsense.

I hope the pally didn't succumb to evil. It just...is a much greater fall that was already done well enough with Arthas. Let him be!

Monsty on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am perfectly fine with an old grizzled paladin who sounds like Morgan Freeman, sacrificing himself to buy you time to save the world.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    The barbarian did NOT make it out alright. Arreat isn't a mountain anymore. The entire basis of their culture is gone. Barbarians are misplaced in the world.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    The barbarian did NOT make it out alright. Arreat isn't a mountain anymore. The entire basis of their culture is gone. Barbarians are misplaced in the world.

I thought they said he was the same one as D2... are you playing a villain this time around?!

Monsty on
    edited July 2008
    I think you misunderstood what I said.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. Oh, well!

Monsty on
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Talith wrote: »
    If Diable 3 ends up having a pure Arcana type mage, then I hope it plays like a faster, more mobile version of the Mage from WoW. Frankly I would kill to have it so.

The magic, in particular the frost line, really had a nice combo-esque synergy to it. I also really want to be able to have many types of spells I need to use instead of spamming the same spell over and over. I want to have to use some skills more strategically and even defensively instead of just throwing my room clearing high damage spell at everything.

For those that never played, heres a sum up of the frost mage and talents: Your spells slow them down, which you can increase the damage and increase the slowing effect. Now if you take certain talents attacking a frozen target will increase the crit chance of spells by 50%. Well if you take this other talent then almost all your spells have a chance to freeze them, even if they normally didn't. Then theres other talents that increase range or decrease mana costs, etc.

I'm with you on this one. Mages should be a class that could really have cool combos and synergies but no game has ever really done it right. I can't quite comment on how it was done in WoW because it's relatively easier to implement that stuff when combat is so much slower.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope they don't stick too heavily with the elemental attacks for the spell casting class in this one. It would be nice to have some spells that can do normal magic damage for solo players.

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2008
    No shit. It'd be sexy tasty if absolutely any build could kill 100% of the monsters solo on any skill.

I'm talking without mercenaries or any other odd gear trickery.

Monsty on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monsty wrote: »
    No shit. It'd be sexy tasty if absolutely any build could kill 100% of the monsters solo on any skill.

I have a feeling that would make co-op too easy, though.

Snork on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monsty wrote: »

nooo.... not quite.

I was thinking more like: even though I've sunk almost all my skill points in to fire mastery, at least 10% of the damage can still hurt the enemy and I might be able to kill him after drinking a water cooler full of health potions, rather then giving up and making another barbarian.

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2008
    I just think it's better and more approachable design if any character is viable. This is not an easy task. Blizzard is one of the few companies I think could handle such a thing.

For coop concerns, they've already done +HP for more players. Why not increases in damage, defense, or other stats? Or maybe add new AOE attacks from monsters when more players join? A lot of superficial changes could be made that would keep it as crazy as D2 but with 100% solo being possible and enjoyable.

It's all moot, though. I'm going to buy it, love it, play the shit out of it, forget it, and start the cycle over years later.

Monsty on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As far as the skill trees go, I'm personally hoping for a couple of trees per class with low numbers to max out. The catch is, there are base skills for every class. The few points you do spend create crazy synergies, or are used to make combos between skills.

That way, the nubs can't really spend points wrong, but the diehards can spend their points creating crazy builds that *just* might work.

Toothy on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »
    At this point I almost want infractions handed out to people who think the graphics are cartoony. God.

Yeah, fuck people with different opinions.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »

People thinking shit about a game on a forum? Those fuckers.

Ego on
    Erik
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm surprised it took this long for that comment to draw other comments.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Took me a while to get around to this thread.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who think it looks cartoony need to improve their vocabulary and aesthetic sense.

Savant on
    edited July 2008
    Plus if you think it looks cartoony, bitching on a forum will do absolutely nothing. Bitching in an e-mail to blizzard has a chance at doing something.

And yes, there's a distinction between bitching and discussion.

Monsty on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the new colorful look of this and Starcraft II, Starcraft has what, 6 tile sets? and only half of those are used for maps.

SkutSkut on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I only lurk in the D3 threads, so I don't keep up on 'em quite fast enough to have replied to him immediately.

I just think the PA forums should be a better place than one where a dissenting opinion from the majority means you're continually told to shut the fuck up over and over again, just in relatively polite language as compared to everywhere else on the net.

Ego on
    Erik
This discussion has been closed.