As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT we punch me in the face until I buy your favorite DS game.

MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighterDaehan MingukRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I need a new DS game to happen in my general direction. But not just any DS game. I need a game that kicks me in the groin area and redefines life as I know it. I like my DS, but nothing truly amazing has come my way just yet, and that's not good enough.

That's why I need my trusty PA folk to come down hard on this thread like a sledgehammer until it produces the single game that will make my DS perform magic into my facial orifices. All genres are open, hell, I don't care if it's freaking Barbie Horse Adventures as long as you make your case in a compelling way. Tell me the game I MUST HAVE.

My Goozex request list is calling.

Update:

Games I'm now considering, gleaned from the many awesome recommendations here:

The World Ends With You
Hotel Dusk
Phantom Hourglass
Etrian Odyssey
Contra 4
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Canvas Curse

I've definitely been looking at the top three for some time now, though I've waited on TWEWY for a price drop and Phourglass until I played Wind Waker. All of these games seem like they might have the potential to glue me to my DS for many solid hours of greatness. For those that haven't weighed in yet: Are we missing any others here? Or is there one of these that I must have NOW?

tl;dr
What is the most exciting and fun experience you've had with a game on the DS? And furthermore, if you could only choose one DS game to play, what would it be and why?

steam_sig.png
MundaneSoul on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ouendan is a life-changing experience.

DarkPrimus on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so I need a new DS game to happen in my general direction. But not just any DS game. I need a game that kicks me in the groin area and redefines life as I know it. I like my DS, but nothing truly amazing has come my way just yet, and that's not good enough.

That's why I need my trusty PA folk to come down hard on this thread like a sledgehammer until it produces the single game that will make my DS perform magic into my facial orifices. All genres are open, hell, I don't care if it's freaking Barbie Horse Adventures as long as you make your case in a compelling way. Tell me the game I MUST HAVE.

My Goozex request list is calling.

OSU!

TATAKAE!

OUENDAN!

OSU!

Edit: Great minds, you jerk.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Space Invaders Extreme is kickass.

To the extreme.

LewieP on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kirby Canvas Curse is still my favorite use of the touch screen.

Accualt on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Surprisingly, Goozex has this. This is much better than EBA?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    I prefer EBA.

LewieP on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Surprisingly, Goozex has this. This is much better than EBA?

In some ways, EBA is better, mainly the replay feature and the ability to skip intros. But as far as the general soundtrack and the beat charts go, Ouendan is much more fun.

DarkPrimus on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you want to be kicked in the groin, get Contra 4.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yoshi Touch & Go is still the only game on the DS that justifies it having two screens.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is a tough question the OP has posed. It's not a general recommendation thread, but a more specific one about our most beloved DS games. The tricky part is that different games, from different genres, are going to stand out to different gamers in varying degrees.

So it might be more useful to list some of the games that really stand out for us in the different genres.. maybe then name the one that impresses you most... I dunno.

RPG: The World Ends with You
    Action: Contra 4
    Puzzle: Meteos
    Music: Elite Beat Agents
    2D Platforming: Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Arcade: Geometry Wars Galaxies
    Strategy: Advance Wars DS
    Adventure: Phoenix Wright series
    Arcade racing: Mario Kart DS

What's my most beloved NDS game?

Damn. I don't know. Tough question. I'll get back to you on that.

slash000 on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ouendan definately fits that description for me. Most recently Professor Layton was the best experience I've had on the DS - absolutely wonderful game.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What games do you own for the DS? That way we know what you already have that you don't really like.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I prefer EBA.

I like both.

On the one hand, Oendan has that ridicullous japanese vibe that is so alien to us that its awesome.

but on the other, i like sk8r boi

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    This is a tough question the OP has posed. It's not a general recommendation thread, but a more specific one about our most beloved DS games. The tricky part is that different games, from different genres, are going to stand out to different gamers in varying degrees.

So it might be more useful to list some of the games that really stand out for us in the different genres.. maybe then name the one that impresses you most... I dunno.

Action: Contra 4
    Puzzle: Meteos
    Music: Elite Beat Agents
    2D Platforming: Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Arcade: Geometry Wars Galaxies
    Strategy: Advance Wars DS
    Adventure: Phoenix Wright series
    Arcade racing: Mario Kart DS

What's my most beloved NDS game?

Damn. I don't know. Tough question. I'll get back to you on that.

You've got the right idea, though there may be a danger of this becoming a poll thread if it's put that way, and that's not really my intent.

To clarify: What is the most exciting and fun experience you've had with a game on the DS? And furthermore, if you could only choose one game to play, what would it be and why?

Guess I should put that in the OP.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hotel Dusk was probably my best experience on the DS. It's a pretty short game, but the story telling and puzzle solving is just so engrossing. I only played it through once, but I hear he has pretty decent replayability.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, clarify in the OP.

I can't name my favorite NDS game (not yet anyway) because I love so many, but I can name some that I love and why:

Contra 4 - tough as nails but extremely fair, this game is like the culmination of the entire classic 2D sidescrolling and shooting series, going all the way back to the first NES game, and deriving inspiration from all of the classic Contras therefrom. You'll play and get your ass kicked, and love it; and when you come back and play again, you'll get that much further. Before you know it, you'll be taking down the final boss, only to think to yourself, "I did it. I did it. I fucking DID IT. I WON. I am the greatest man that ever lived, I have beaten Contra 4!" The sense of kick-assed-ness when you finally beat it is practically unmatched by any other game out there. To top it off, the game comes with a ton of unlockable Challenge mode stages, of which tehse are great ways to improve your skils for the main game, as well as unlockable versions of Contra 1 and Super C from the NES that you can play. It's a brilliant compilation with tons of great and fair gameplay that is never too cheap, lots of unlockable challenges for more replay value, lots of fan service, and two additional classic Sidescrolling NES shooters to play afterwards.

Some people will have a really tough time with the game, though, because of its very high difficulty level. But if you enjoy tough games that you progressively get better at, until the day you beat it, man, Contra 4 nails the formula down perfectly.

slash000 on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite DS game?
    Zelda, Phantom Hourglass, hands down. That is my indisputed favorite game on the DS, I loved every second of it. It's just pure adventure, the sailing is upgraded from Wind Waker, and the action is sah-weet.

If not Zelda, then probably Hotel Dusk. I'm just a sucker for film noir type stories. Especially if they're interactive.

EDIT: hi5 ryadic! But, I have to disagree with replayability. Once you've read a story, you've read the story. It's hard for me to go back and re-read the story. It's kind of an experience within itself, and I don't think it has any replayability at all.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
    edited July 2008

The World Ends With You isn't an RPG. Is it? I'm playing through it right now and it doesn't strike me as one.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited July 2008

The World Ends With You isn't an RPG. Is it? I'm playing through it right now and it doesn't strike me as one.

It's like a JRPG if you threw away all the crutches and conventions that they have been relying on for the past ten years.

LewieP on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

It's like a JRPG if you threw away all the crutches and conventions that they have been relying on for the past ten years.

This sentence is almost enough to overcome my hatred of the SE tax and run out and buy this game. But I'm still having a blast with Rune Factory and $40+ DS games can go burn in hell, so I'll just add this to the top of my 'to buy when it's cheap' list.

JihadJesus on
    edited July 2008
    To be fair, it does introduce some new, equally annoying design crutches, but because they are new they are more interesting.

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    The World Ends With You is quite fantastic and lets you dress up the main character like a prissy bitch, so there's that.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    @Ryadic, how did you solve the puzzle with getting the bookmark to fall out of the stupid cardboard box? I tried poking and tapping it every-which-way and fuck-all happens. I haven't picked the game up in half a year because of it.

Also, I wish we'd get a DS Fire Emblem game already. I know there's one in development, but apparently there's going to be 3D junk in it like they did in the GameCube version. Blech. I prefer sprites for this sort of game, unless they manage to do it as well as Jeanne D'Arc did.

If there was an FE tailored for the system I'd recommend that. As far as what's available now, I actually can't think of a single game I consider a must-have on the DS, for myself at least. I actually prefer my PSP. All I use my DS for is homebrew, really.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The World Ends With You, Rocket Slime and Phoenix Wright are by far the best things on the system.
    Cannot really pick one of the three.

Xagarath on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    @Ryadic, how did you solve the puzzle with getting the bookmark to fall out of the stupid cardboard box? I tried poking and tapping it every-which-way and fuck-all happens. I haven't picked the game up in half a year because of it.

Can't remember. Sorry. Been like a year since I played it. I probably will play it this weekend since I'm gonna be in a car riding to Florida. Maybe someone else can help you out there dude.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The World Ends with You.

Get it or I won't stop hitting you.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Professor Layton!

Ganluan on
    edited July 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    The World Ends with You.

Get it or I won't stop hitting you.

I really do want this game very badly but the $40 price tag is hurting me in my down-belows.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's worth 60 bucks.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2008
    It's worth 60 bucks.

You've done a terrible thing.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's worth 60 bucks.

Xagarath on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To answer the OP's question, Phoenix Wright was about as life changing (to me) as games can get. If I had to choose a single franchise to keep for the DS and nothing else, I wouldn't have to think for a second, Phoenix Wright is it. Incredibly fun stories with hilarious dialogue, exciting courtroom actionz and adventure-style clue gathering and witness interviewing. The story gets pretty fuckin' epic by the third game, too. Really, get them.

Noray on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's worth 60 bucks.

It's worth the equivelant of about 85 US dollars it costs in stores here in Denmark.

Peewi on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seriously, has no one said Picross yet?

Quite possibly the best game ever.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still disappointed in the PA community as a whole whenever Planet Puzzle League goes without even a single mention. It's the same game as Pokémon Puzzle League, Panel de Pon, and Tetris Attack, except prettied up and with online multiplayer. It's about as perfect a puzzle game as you can get.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited July 2008
    I'm still disappointed in the PA community as a whole whenever Planet Puzzle League goes without even a single mention. It's the same game as Pokémon Puzzle League, Panel de Pon, and Tetris Attack, except prettied up and with online multiplayer. It's about as perfect a puzzle game as you can get.

I was going to mention that, but I personally just enjoy Meteos more.

For some reason I can't get into Planet Puzzle League. Is there anything where I can find tips on strategies?

slash000 on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Meteos is the best puzzle game ever. My favorite game on the system. It's closely followed by the Phoenix Wrights.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can play Geometry Wars: Galaxies for hours.
    Hours.

It's my "go-to" game for quickie 5 minute sessions, as well as being fun for longer periods of time.

citizen059 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite DS game?
    Zelda, Phantom Hourglass, hands down. That is my indisputed favorite game on the DS, I loved every second of it. It's just pure adventure, the sailing is upgraded from Wind Waker, and the action is sah-weet.

phantom hourglass was the first game i played on my ds that i felt would be almost impossible to replicate on any other system. i love all the weird stuff you have to do, shouting at it and blowing dust off maps, drawing where the boomerang goes, it's all awesome.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's worth 600 bucks.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]