Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Linux Switch

124

Posts

  • Zilla360Zilla360 Spaaaace! In Space.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    I read this thread title as "the linux sandwich." Would such a sandwich be possible? If so, how would it taste? If good, can someone make me one?
    If a sudo joke goes unanswered, does anybody care....? :P

  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i missed that one
    since i hardly ever read larlar's posts all the way through

    I tried to write "but that" and my hands naturally wrote "butt hat", which is vastly superior in every way.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 Spaaaace! In Space.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In any case, the salad would be incompatible with the meat, unless you spend 9 hours configuring mayo v0.14567434 NOT mayo v0.14567434.1b; or the whole thing explodes Hindenburg style in your mouth, blowing your tounge off.

  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    naw man just grab mk_sandwich.sh off of sandwichHack.org and run it as root

    I tried to write "but that" and my hands naturally wrote "butt hat", which is vastly superior in every way.
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    In any case, the salad would be incompatible with the meat, unless you spend 9 hours configuring mayo v0.14567434 NOT mayo v0.14567434.1b; or the whole thing explodes Hindenburg style in your mouth, blowing your tounge off.

    Is this a Linux sandwich or a Gentoo sandwich?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LarlarLarlar Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    i missed that one
    since i hardly ever read larlar's posts all the way through

    I'll have to make them longer so you don't even read part of the way through.

    iwantanswers3.png
  • GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Janin wrote: »
    potatoe wrote: »
    hibernation when the lid closes?

    i'm pretty sure that's been in most, if not all, windows laptops for the last 4-5 years

    It's the first one where it works, though. My previous laptops, in order, would:

    1. Bluescreen on resume
    2. Sometimes bluescreen on resume
    3. Severe graphical glitches until reboot
    4. Chug along at greatly reduced performance for 5-10 minutes after resume
    5. No mouse until reboot

    So on the mac, when I shut the lid and opened it and nothing broke it was a pretty amazing moment.

    Let me guess, Toshiba laptop?


    My (free) Toshiba Satellite did not have any of those problems...

    Neither have any of the other laptops I've seen.

    I take that back there was a bluescreen on the resume of my toshiba ONE TIME. Thats because we removed the wireless network card and opened it back up. Which any hardware changes will pretty much cause a bluescreen when you come back from hibernate on any windows machine.


    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.


    I don't want to "work" on my computer when I get on it. I don't troubleshoot problems when the occur I simply remove whatever caused it and reinstall.

    I've installed linux, got it running, realized there wasn't a damn thing I could do with it that I would even care to do.

    I really don't see the obsession some people have with this, but then again I don't understand dudes that are into sado-masichism either.

    3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.
    haha, what?

  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    my friend installed ubuntu cause vista was pissing him off and it seemed pretty fast

    still, it's linux, so i made fun of him

    last week his kernel grenaded itself and wiped the root directory

    hahahahaha

    Grenaded? Now I'm imagining a page of old arcane C code suddenly shouting some arabic epithet and exploding violently

    I don't know why this was my first thought but I can't get it out of my head

    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.
    haha, what?

    basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

    3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Grenaded? Now I'm imagining a page of old arcane C code suddenly shouting some arabic epithet and exploding violently

    I don't know why this was my first thought but I can't get it out of my head

    This is pretty much what C does anyway, except it's more like a crazy guy that uses his own blood to write satanic messages on his wall, stuffs a grenade in his mouth, pulls the pin, and shouts "SEGMENTATION FAULT"

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grath wrote: »
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.
    haha, what?

    basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

    hey now, not all of us
    some of us know when not to fuck with shit we don't understand

    I tried to write "but that" and my hands naturally wrote "butt hat", which is vastly superior in every way.
  • GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    Grath wrote: »
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.
    haha, what?

    basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

    hey now, not all of us
    some of us know when not to fuck with shit we don't understand

    you're right, my bad.

    vocal and angry linux geeks

    3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
  • DKWDKW Registered User
    edited July 2008
    OSX is awesome in terms of presentation and simplicity, but holy shit that doesn't justify the cost of a mac!

    You guys are so cool
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    DKW wrote: »
    OSX is awesome in terms of presentation and simplicity, but holy shit that doesn't justify the cost of a mac!

    Their laptops are not all that much more than a similarly configured Dell.

  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Grath wrote: »
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

    Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

    Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.
    haha, what?

    basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

    Your whole idea of this doesn't make any sense, because most Linux users have been trained not to screw with things they don't understand. In Windows, digging into deep crevices and tweaking hidden settings is the cultural norm because there's no other way to get things done. The registry is the ultimate sign of this -- a giant unreadable blob that magically affect almost everything on your computer, but it's not even possible to set a different e-mail agent without digging into it. Users are encouraged to monkeypatch core OS libraries so they can have themes, which would make any Linux user yell "what the fuck!?" in horror.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Grenaded? Now I'm imagining a page of old arcane C code suddenly shouting some arabic epithet and exploding violently

    I don't know why this was my first thought but I can't get it out of my head

    This is pretty much what C does anyway, except it's more like a crazy guy that uses his own blood to write satanic messages on his wall, stuffs a grenade in his mouth, pulls the pin, and shouts "SEGMENTATION FAULT"

    ahahhahahah

    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What I want: Windows with the CL capabilities of Linux.

    tonksigblack.png
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I installed Ubuntu on the extra bit of unpartitioned space I left open for it a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to run an AVG scan because AVG in windows was causing system failures whenever it hit the registry, so I was worried something was wrong. The scan didn't find anything, though.

    So then I thought I'd play around with Ubuntu a bit. I decided to try to get dual monitors working. I couldn't find any good information anywhere. I ended up with everything all fucked up, and no idea how to fix it.

    Doing some things in Windows is a huge pain in the ass. Doing some things in Linux is a huge pain in the ass. But in Windows, you can just fuck around with shit until it works. It's a lot harder to fuck it up, because Windows tends to assume you don't know what you're doing. Linux assumes you always know exactly what you're doing.

    Look, every OS sucks. It's just a fact. For my money, Windows sucks less because it wastes less of my time.

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And I really can't take anyone who uses the term Mebibytes seriously. I just find myself thinking "Go back to wikipedia, neckbeard."

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    And I really can't take anyone who uses the term Mebibytes seriously. I just find myself thinking "Go back to wikipedia, neckbeard."

    I use them when needed, but most of the time I prefer to use megabytes because seriously, who can do base-2 math in their head (not me)

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    So then I thought I'd play around with Ubuntu a bit. I decided to try to get dual monitors working. I couldn't find any good information anywhere. I ended up with everything all fucked up, and no idea how to fix it.

    ATI card? nVidia cards have a little program you start, enable the second screen, set the resolution, all done.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

    The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The main advantage is that Linux is free.

    Now, if you pull out that little chestnut 'it's only free if your time is worthless, then I will stab you. I installed Ubuntu a week or two ago with absolutely no problems.

  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

    The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

    it's a lot quicker, especially on older hardware. It's a lot more customizable, so if you're really anal about how things work, you have a lot of options.

    But really, the primary argument is simply that it's free. Windows is supposed to cost over $100, and most of us might not pay that, but that doesn't make it right. Linux is a morally sound free option.

    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

    The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

    it's a lot quicker, especially on older hardware. It's a lot more customizable, so if you're really anal about how things work, you have a lot of options.

    But really, the primary argument is simply that it's free. Windows is supposed to cost over $100, and most of us might not pay that, but that doesn't make it right. Linux is a morally sound free option.

    The price difference is no longer relevant to most people, because in the age of bittorrent Windows is free. Anybody who wants to can download and install a pirated copy of Windows with no significant issue.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Janin wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

    The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

    it's a lot quicker, especially on older hardware. It's a lot more customizable, so if you're really anal about how things work, you have a lot of options.

    But really, the primary argument is simply that it's free. Windows is supposed to cost over $100, and most of us might not pay that, but that doesn't make it right. Linux is a morally sound free option.

    The price difference is no longer relevant to most people, because in the age of bittorrent Windows is free. Anybody who wants to can download and install a pirated copy of Windows with no significant issue.

    unless you feel bad about stealing software, etc.

    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • DKWDKW Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    DKW wrote: »
    OSX is awesome in terms of presentation and simplicity, but holy shit that doesn't justify the cost of a mac!

    Their laptops are not all that much more than a similarly configured Dell.

    Ah you're right I'm just nervous about buying one

    You guys are so cool
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Read the article I linked; most people give the thought of pirating software about as much as thought as downloading music (ie, none at all). It's not as obvious here on PA because of the rather strict rules against discussing piracy, but on looser forums like SA or 4ch there's an unstated assumption "who buys Windows anyway?".

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah fuck that
    The laptop came with Windows, I'm good

  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Yeah fuck that
    The laptop came with Windows, I'm good

    it was bundled in with the cost.

    imagine the same laptop for $100 less.

    also, re pirating windows/music: just because everybody does it doesn't make it fucking right.

    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    just because it isnt right doesnt mean everybody isnt doing it

  • ArtreusArtreus Hey kids, want some drugs?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also who the fuck pirates windows. The version you have should be good enough until you buy another computer and even then, just suck it up. My computer was still pretty cheap even with windows. It is worth it not to deal with cracking it and all of that bullshit.

    Or you could just go to a university that offers it for a ridiculously low price or free.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JaninJanin Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »
    just because it isnt right doesnt mean everybody isnt doing it

    ^-- this

    Applies to big $$ software like Photoshop also. You just know people aren't paying $2500 to put captions on pictures of their cats, but mention Paint.NET and GIMP and see if anybody knows what they are.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArtreusArtreus Hey kids, want some drugs?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »
    just because it isnt right doesnt mean everybody isnt doing it

    Best rationale for doing anything ever.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What can I say - at some point you kids will graduate high school and get a job, and then your attitudes will probably change.

  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I installed Ubuntu a week or two ago with absolutely no problems.

    Installing it is easy. Getting it working like you want it to can be a major pain.

  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Framling wrote: »
    So then I thought I'd play around with Ubuntu a bit. I decided to try to get dual monitors working. I couldn't find any good information anywhere. I ended up with everything all fucked up, and no idea how to fix it.

    ATI card? nVidia cards have a little program you start, enable the second screen, set the resolution, all done.

    Whereas with ATI cards, you try a thing, try another thing, realize you didn't undo the first thing, try to fix things, screw them up worse, and boot back into your Windows install, which doesn't get fucked up just trying to extend your desktop.

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Installing it is easy. Getting it working like you want it to can be a major pain.
    That depends.

    I've spent countless hours getting windows to work like I want it to and I've spent countless hours getting linux to work like I want it to.

    Windows is fantastic for what it does, and most of the problems people have are due to their own actions. The same can not be said of Linux.

    tonksigblack.png
Sign In or Register to comment.