As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-phalla] The Zombie Survival Phalla - Game Over – The Living Survive!

1141516171820»

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So let me know what you thought about this game. What was good? What was bad?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eecc wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    It seems that in every Phalla the bad guys have to fight up hill to win. I swear, when I do Planescape: Phalla it will be tough for the good guys to win.

What can change the nature of a Phalla?

YES! Tagline right there.

edit- and Toxic, I enjoyed it. The mechanics were good and the narration was also pretty good.

Thetheroo on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Winrars!

Narrations were awesome, and the mechanics definitely had me paranoid.

Oh eecc, fun times we had last night :).

iamtheaznman on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

Very good, very tense.

In the end, we figured that the zombies were hitting the mason network. We were kinda worried Arkas was converted, but there was no real opportunity for it other than last night, so we trusted him.

The narrations are excellent as always. I kinda feel bad though that I'm undoing the work I laid down in the previous zombie phalla. :lol:

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I thought it was quite good. Loved the narration, and working people's names in.

The mechanics were great - they ended up truly inspiring paranoia which I think really added to it. You should see some of the PMs that were sent around on the last day - at one stage, someone suggested that I should snipe off B:L or Arkas...

In terms of balance, it worked out quite well, since it came down to the last day. I think what swayed it in our favour at the very end was that there were enough kills vs number of people *not* in a network... so we voted Sheep, let the zombies have Rainfall, and vig'd weatheredclown.

Had the dice rolled the other way and B:L/Arkas ended up being converted.... well.. zombie win.

Edit:
    Oh eecc, fun times we had last night :).

Hahaha, I am so glad I convinced myself that you were being overly paranoid. Although admittedly, you could've been absolutely right...

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For the time I was around it was awesome. The narrations were really good. Like others said, it did a really good job of inspiring the kind of paranoia you would expect in a zombie apocalypse.

Huzza for my first phalla win!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited July 2008
    If I need people to help me with Planescape: Phalla mechanics would I ask in the sign up thread?

Thetheroo on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm glad you liked the narration for the game. That was honestly he hardest part for me. As for working in the names, I give all credit for that idea to LaOs. He used it in the 1st Jonesphallaburg game, I had to do the same.

Here are some of the other PMs I sent out.

Day 2 Result

Masons
    - The lord came to you two in a vision, telling that James McGruff was one of his sheep that will need your guidance to protect him fro evil.

Gruff is a villager.

Seer -
    You were able to visit Thomas Theroo that morning before making your way to the court house. He was in perfect health.

Thetheroo was seered as a villager

Zombies -
    You both were able to find Thomas Theroo walking in an alley heading towards the court house that night. You both were able to take a bite out of him before he fought you off.

tehcoolryan wandered towards the court house in search of food while weatheredclown went the other direction.

tehcoolryan was gunned down by the towns folk while Thetheroo became a zombie

Day 3 Results

Seer -
    You were able to make to the church during the day time to drop off some medicine to the people stay there. Reverend Lovejoy greeted you at the heavy wooden doors. You had some time before nightfall and was able to give him a clean bill of health.

iamtheaznman is a mason, Reverend Lovejoy, and a villager.

Day 4

Vig -
    From across the street you watched the zombie break into the court house. You positioned yourself so you hade a clear shot the back alley, the only place that those monster could exit from. You shot the first person to walk out.

You killed FrostMist.

Toxic Toys on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yea, I was supposed to be the religious guy but Toxic gave me a villager PM.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed it, I was just glad I survived as long as I did. I liked the narrations too, the names were a nice touch.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • weatheredclownweatheredclown Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow... that was super fun...
    glad I made it to the last day on my first phalla... it was nice of people not to target me earlier..
    The narration was great... monster in a weathered clown costume... fit in perfectly..

Braaaaiiinnnnsss....

weatheredclown on
    "Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Woo! Yes! Yes! Yessss!

I think this is one of two phalla in which I have not died.

I could be miscalculating, though. But I'm pretty sure.

Rainfall on
    edited July 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Woo! Yes! Yes! Yessss!

I think this is one of two phalla in which I have not died.

I could be miscalculating, though. But I'm pretty sure.

Wait, how did you not die?

Thetheroo on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess the !black votes were split closer than some of us thought.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We killed the last zombie, which means they didn't get their extra kill. Reading comprehension!

Rainfall on
    edited July 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    We killed the last zombie, which means they didn't get their extra kill. Reading comprehension!

That's it.

Toxic Toys on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As for working in the names, I give all credit for that idea to LaOs. He used it in the 1st Jonesphallaburg game, I had to do the same.

Love you too, Toxic :P

LaOs on
  • ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I second what was said about the fake-realistic names in the narrations. Those were awesome. A very nice touch. After results each day, part of me always wanted to mention it, but I always ended up getting sidetracked due to the actual results.

Arkas on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha! My hunch were der correct! I haven't had this much fun since the 2nd mafia phalla!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Noo...will I be forever denied the sweet, sweet taste of brains?

This is truly a sad day for all undead.

Lignisse on
  • Institutional PederastyInstitutional Pederasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yea, however killed me, why me again day 1 vig kill? Whoever it was who was pulling the strings.

Also, really enjoyed watching the game form the sidelines, The narrations were great.

Institutional Pederasty on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lignisse wrote: »
    Noo...will I be forever denied the sweet, sweet taste of brains?

This is truly a sad day for all undead.

Dear Zombies,

You may have been denied the sweet, sweet taste of brains,

But you've experienced the sweet, sweet taste of Cuba Gooding, Jr.

One you go black you never go back,

- Cuba Gooding, Jr.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, you'd think that would make me feel better.

Unaccountably, it does not. It's a crazy world we live in!

Lignisse on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Yea, however killed me, why me again day 1 vig kill? Whoever it was who was pulling the strings.

Also, really enjoyed watching the game form the sidelines, The narrations were great.

It was me.

Ha ha, Ragnar!

Obbi on
  • Institutional PederastyInstitutional Pederasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Obbi wrote: »

It was me.

Ha ha, Ragnar!

Argh! I will still grudge you after you ditched out of this game! You shall know my fury!

Institutional Pederasty on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    don'tcha wanna like me?

Obbi on
  • GruffGruff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Obbi wrote: »
    GOOD JOB GRUFF

I BELIEVED IN YOU

Huh?

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I did learn soething running this. Give people a chance to kill some one most of them will take it. And use it against cheez.

I got 5 call to kill him in one night.

Toxic Toys on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really enjoyed the game. Good naration, and the mechanics kept the main thread intersting, which is key.

I think it was a good use of the conversion mechanic, which can be tricky to use without destabilizing the game. I really thought we were doomed about mid way through. It served to stoke the rampant paranoia that all us villagers felt, which was perfect for a zombie themed game.

Thanks for running it Toxic.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat