As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The mysteries of upgrading Vista..

autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machineRegistered User regular
I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop which I got preinstalled. Now, I can download Vista Business from the MSDNAA website of my Uni.. but business apparently comes without media center.

SO, what happens? Do I basically get the features of Vista Home Business and those of Business, meaning I get to keep the media center software, or will it be gone?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
autono-wally, erotibot300 on

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anyone?
    edit: also note that the msdnaa license is a full license, not just an upgrade license
    so basically, I have vista home premium full and vista business full..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You will have to decide on one or the other. You will not get the features from both by installing over the old one. If you have no need for the ability to join a domain, I'd recommend you to just stick with Home Premium. If you really need the full functionality from both, there's always the possibility to do a anytime-upgrade to Ultimate.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    which would be pretty costly, instead of costing 0$

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dual-boot it?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    STick with home premium unless you have to connect to a domain or want to connect to the machine remotely via remote desktop.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yeah, that's what I decided to do. Now, installing this MSDNAA vista on my old desktop is another thing ;)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    STick with home premium unless you have to connect to a domain or want to connect to the machine remotely via remote desktop.

You can still use RDP with Home Premium.
    Just not on a fresh install.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just to point this out, if you buy a computer with Vista Home Basic you can call MS and buy a license to upgrade it to the better versions at a fraction of the cost. You really just pay the difference. You enter the new key and it will unlock the rest of the features.

Dark Shroud on