As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Downloads autodeleting wtf?

BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
Ok, so I have a problem with my laptop autodeleting downloads, that is to say I can download things in Firefox 3, Safari, Opera and IE7, in all cases the browser being used goes through the motions of downloading all the files I choose to use, but then at the end the file is either unable to be read or it just autodeletes off of my system.

I'm running an Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo PI 2515 with Vista Home premium. I have no idea of why the computer is doing this at all anyone got a clue?

steam_sig.png
BigDes on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Vista by default puts things in a downloads folder, but I'm surprised Firefox and Safari would default to the windows-specific download location (perhaps it something new with version 3, I don't think 2 does that.)

Anyway, check to see if it's in the downloads folder, inside your home folder and user id, I think.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I checked but nope. I even set up the browsers to download straight to the desktop and nope. The worst part is when it is downloading it creates the icon on the desktop of whatever it is that I am downloadijng, but then when the download finishes it just deletes.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a similar problem with disappearing files the other day, turns out Vista will move files to C:\Users\(username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore if you attempt to save them to a protected folder such as Program Files. The Desktop obviously shouldn't be one of those folders though.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Firebrand wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with disappearing files the other day, turns out Vista will move files to C:\Users\(username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore if you attempt to save them to a protected folder such as Program Files. The Desktop obviously shouldn't be one of those folders though.

Aha! There they are. Thank you. Now to work out how to fix it.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These instructions are slightly vague because I'm not currently at my Vista machine, but it should work.

In Windows Explorer, head to your user folder and right-click on the Desktop folder (and any other folders that are doing this). Go to Properties, then to the Security tab. There should be a button near the bottom that gives you a multi-tabbed window. In there, go to the Owner tab and change the owner to yourself.

Close the Properties window and open it up again. In the Security tab, there should be a button that says Permissions or something like that (near the middle of the window). Go there, add your name (there's a button that allows you to do that near the top-right) and give yourself full permission for everything.

This should do the trick, but I have no idea why it would do this to any of your default user folders.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just got back to my Vista machine and after finding where it put the downloads the computer has decided to work properly again for no apparent reason.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png