As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Soul Calibur Four, Star Wars Characters-You don't have to play as them!

• TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope something similar to the create a character playthrough RTS is in the new one, only sped up. I feel safe in calling it a real time strategy game because I'm pretty sure it would take about that long to knock down a large house with a pair of nunchucks. That mode was fucking slow, and almost all waiting. I wish I could stop playing it, I got drawn in again.

Trevor on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the video with the CFs, the dude said there was still one character he hadn't unlocked...anyone know who it is?

edit: other than the Apprentice, that is

There's one slot open that nobody has managed to unlock and isn't covered in the official strategy guide. Speculation is that it's a DLC slot, probably for Vader/Yoda.

And there's no RTS game in SC4, instead there's a Survival-like dungeon that you can play through to win cash and prizes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, that'll work. As long as I get to unlock a bunch of stuff with my bright-pink pantsless ninja I'll be a happy camper.

Trevor on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the video with the CFs, the dude said there was still one character he hadn't unlocked...anyone know who it is?

edit: other than the Apprentice, that is

There's speculation that it's a DLC slot.

There's also speculation that it's a special unlock for beating Force Unleashed.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm hoping it's some hidden character that you really have to work hard to unlock and nobody who's got it has managed to unlock them yet... probably just wishful thinking though

sharky t on
    edited July 2008
    Spoilered for huge. And for secret surprise.
    gr.image.jpg
    gr.image.jpg

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Duh

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They should have had Darth's alternate costume without his helmet with his awesome pale skin.

VaLiantine on
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    is that just a really decent shop?

DarkSymphony on
  • ardentlyardently Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There may be no hidden option. There are 31 entries in the grid right now and 31 is a prime number. The developers may have decided to just leave a grid spot open instead of having a non-rectangular character selection grid.

ardently on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    ardently wrote: »
    There may be no hidden option. There are 31 entries in the grid right now and 31 is a prime number. The developers may have decided to just leave a grid spot open instead of having a non-rectangular character selection grid.

They wouldn't do that.

It has to be symmetrical. :P

Legacy on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    They should have had Darth's alternate costume without his helmet with his awesome pale skin.

What's his alternate costume?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I enjoyed SCIII immensely.

I even played though that turn-based thing.

Twice.

I didn't want to play it twice, and it ate my memory card, so fuck it.

Dareth Ram on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    VaLiantine wrote: »

What's his alternate costume?

Near as I can tell lighter boots and Shoulder pads. I suppose like Sonic in SSB Alt costumes aren't a proirity for guest characters.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited July 2008
    Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2008
    Again...

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Legacy on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So much for the exclusitivity bullshit.

EDIT: Why does one of those character roster squares have two people in it?

Godfather on
    edited July 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Did you really expect it to be exclusive?

Legacy on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

For a second there, yeah, I did.

Godfather on
    edited July 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

For a second there, yeah, I did.

Silly rabbit...
    kiddo.jpg

Legacy on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If someone'd like to make a new thread go ahead, I'm not really keeping up with SCIV

SkutSkut on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EDIT: Why does one of those character roster squares have two people in it?

Create a Soul characters.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I expected them to be exclusive until the inevitable download pack for moneys to use them, Im actually quite surprised theyre on the same game. They did it wish SC 2 whats to stop them from doing it on SC IV?

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited July 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    I expected them to be exclusive until the inevitable download pack for moneys to use them, Im actually quite surprised theyre on the same game. They did it wish SC 2 whats to stop them from doing it on SC IV?

It shouldn't be too surprising...the DLC for Beautiful Katamari was on the disc too.

Vincent Grayson on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, will the game be out for sale on the 29th or is it shipping out at that time? I ask because I need to know when I should head to GameStop, basically.

LibrarianThorne on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know for a fact my local GameStop has the discs in house right now, so the only thing holding back sales is the street date.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, will the game be out for sale on the 29th or is it shipping out at that time? I ask because I need to know when I should head to GameStop, basically.

YOU AND ME ARE GOING TO BE THROWIN' SHIT DOWN.

The Sneak! on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »

YOU AND ME ARE GOING TO BE THROWIN' SHIT DOWN.

You've been obsessed with kicking my ass, inexplicably, for weeks now.

Get the SSF2THDRemix beta and I'll throw down whenever. We don't need to wait for SC4 if you want to lose so badly, Sneak.

LibrarianThorne on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So Namco says if this one doesn't sell well they series may be gone and I'm thinking maybe they need it to sell terribly and see this series take a hiatus.

Granted I don't think it's so much the games fault as things that management decides. Things like bonus characters being model swaps, console exclusive characters being the exact opposite, Reports of VERY sketchy online.

Those may seem small but I don't know I have little interest at this point I''ll give it a rental but that's all my interest goes to.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So Namco says if this one doesn't sell well they series may be gone and I'm thinking maybe they need it to sell terribly and see this series take a hiatus.

Go away.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would suppose Wii is destined to never get a proper Soul Calibur title... oh well *plays Soul Calibur 2*

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Granted I don't think it's so much the games fault as things that management decides. Things like bonus characters being model swaps, console exclusive characters being the exact opposite, Reports of VERY sketchy online.

Those may seem small but I don't know I have little interest at this point I''ll give it a rental but that's all my interest goes to.

I'm assuming (hoping) you're French-Canadian and English isn't your primary language. They need it to sell terribly like I need my employer to pay me less.

I haven't played a 3D fighter yet that wasn't sketchy online...VF5 is the best so far; and it's only ok.

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008
    It's probably going to be the best selling game in August. I will eat my own cock if it isn't.

Alucard6986 on
  • RWangsRWangs Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm assuming (hoping) you're French-Canadian and English isn't your primary language. They need it to sell terribly like I need my employer to pay me less.

I haven't played a 3D fighter yet that wasn't sketchy online...VF5 is the best so far; and it's only ok.

You take that back! No self-respecting French Canadian would speak badly of Soul Calibur, it's the only way we can properly settle our disputes. Those damn English Canadians with their damn Tekken and their Street Fighter. I say we burn them all.

RWangs on
    PS3 tag/ MGO ID : Terasozin
    41.png
    edited July 2008
    I'll never understand why most console gamers have a fundamental disconnect between real world physics and their online experience. It's Mind boggling.

Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2008

When you say the bonus characters are model swaps, what do you mean?

I mean, the game has more "real" characters than any previous SC game, no?

And honestly, I don't know why anyone would care how exclusive or not exclusive the Star Wars characters are.

Online might be a valid complaint, but won't it be hard to tell until the game is actually out? And has any fighting game done solid online play yet?

Vincent Grayson on
    edited July 2008
    RWangs wrote: »

You take that back! No self-respecting French Canadian would speak badly of Soul Calibur, it's the only way we can properly settle our disputes. Those damn English Canadians with their damn Tekken and their Street Fighter. I say we burn them all.

All apologies. I guess we live on the same continent after all...it's like we're brothers.

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008
    All of the anime guest characters are identical to specific series proper characters in movelists.

Alucard6986 on
    edited July 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'll never understand why most console gamers have a fundamental disconnect between real world physics and their online experience. It's Mind boggling.

How/what do you mean?

Grammaton Cleric on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

When you say the bonus characters are model swaps, what do you mean?

I mean, the game has more "real" characters than any previous SC game, no?

And honestly, I don't know why anyone would care how exclusive or not exclusive the Star Wars characters are.

Online might be a valid complaint, but won't it be hard to tell until the game is actually out? And has any fighting game done solid online play yet?

DoA4 was decent and I've heard good things about Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

bloodyroarxx on
This discussion has been closed.