As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New smaller car

badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking at several smaller cars. I will be buying new, not used, and I live in America. I want good mileage (over 30 highway), good reliability, and good styling and interior comforts (moonroof would be nice, cruise is really wanted). In that order.

So far, I've looked at the Honda Civic, Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Versa, Volkswagen Rabbit, and Scion XD and TC. Of them, I've driven the Civic, Versa, Rabbit, and Elantra. Fit Sports are hard to come by around here, and the model changeover will be taking place in October.

I'm trying to keep it under $17,000 (the Civic is pretty sparse at that price), including Tax, Title, and License.

Am I missing any cars that I should be taking a look at? Anyone have good or bad experiences with the models I'm considering?

Thanks in advance.

badpoet on

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I drive a Mazda 3, which I'm pretty fond of. It's basically just a cooler looking version of the civic, since Honda started putting volvo engineering into their cars.

Also, why buy new? Used is cheaper, easier and more environmentally sound.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I was looking at Mazda 3's too but there's just something about the styling I don't like.

I'd rather buy new. After looking in my area, used smaller cars aren't noticeably cheaper and I can get exactly what I want in a new car.

badpoet on
    edited July 2008
    badpoet wrote: »
    Yeah, I was looking at Mazda 3's too but there's just something about the styling I don't like.

I'd rather buy new. After looking in my area, used smaller cars aren't noticeably cheaper and I can get exactly what I want in a new car.

Hmm. If you aren't saving much money it's a tougher argument. Also, I only think in terms of hatchbacks, so we're probably thinking of different models of the cars.

Darkewolfe on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I suggest you at least sit in a Mazda3. I love the interior. I was iffy on it before (and especially thought the speedometer and odometer etc. looked goofy) but I got to sit in one a few days ago and fell in love. It will be mine.

edit: I'm talking about the 4dr sedan.

Organichu on
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    I suggest you at least sit in a Mazda3. I love the interior. I was iffy on it before (and especially thought the speedometer and odometer etc. looked goofy) but I got to sit in one a few days ago and fell in love. It will be mine.

edit: I'm talking about the 4dr sedan.

The dashboard seriously looks and feels like a spaceship sometimes. Which I enjoy.

Darkewolfe on
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd suggest the Chevy Cobalt.
    -great milage
    -the 2door coupe is pretty sharp looking with the rear spoiler
    -you can get one brand new for 14 and can upgrade to the next class for under 17.
    - Onstar
    -great interior

Take a look. I think you'll like it.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, I hate that buying American is so tough these days. I've ridden in a '07 Cobalt, and thought it was a really not well built car with a cheap interior. Maybe it was just not the right model or trim style?

Chrysler has nothing to offer. Dodge has the Caliber, which is a piece of shit. And the Ford Focus... I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they designed that. That chrome side grille is just terrible looking, as is the ass end. I almost wish I could wait awhile and buy a new Fiesta when they start importing/making them in '09 but I don't think that my current car will last that long (it's a Neon Sport that I got stuck with in my divorce and it has 193,000 miles on it).

badpoet on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I drive a Corolla and have never had any problems. If I needed a new car I'd probably look at them, the Yaris, Scions, the Honda Fit, and Civics. Of course, reliability, milage, etc. are more important to me than performance.

Cauld on
    edited July 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    I drive a Corolla and have never had any problems. If I needed a new car I'd probably look at the, or maybe even the Yaris. Of course, reliability, milage, etc. are more important to me than performance.

Getting a Carolla with zero options would work, but wouldn't make for a great driving experience. It's a step higher than I want to spend. The Yaris is in my price range, but whether 4 dr. or 2 dr. hatch, it's the ugliest car I've seen in years.

badpoet on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a Toyota Yaris 4 door 5 speed, and I consistently get 40 mpg on the highway. It's been a great car, I drive all over the damn place (it's been to texas, and I drove from California to Seattle for PAX last year). I actually like the styling of my 4 door S, but to each his own. The Scion Xa has the same engine and other similarities, I liked the Yaris better, but if you actually think the scion is less ugly it's almost the same car anyway.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, I hate that buying American is so tough these days. I've ridden in a '07 Cobalt, and thought it was a really not well built car with a cheap interior. Maybe it was just not the right model or trim style?

Chrysler has nothing to offer. Dodge has the Caliber, which is a piece of shit. And the Ford Focus... I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they designed that. That chrome side grille is just terrible looking, as is the ass end. I almost wish I could wait awhile and buy a new Fiesta when they start importing/making them in '09 but I don't think that my current car will last that long (it's a Neon Sport that I got stuck with in my divorce and it has 193,000 miles on it).

Honestly, I think the appearance of your car matters too much to you. An under $20k car isn't going to impress anyone ever anyway, so you might as well just get a reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable car and screw the appearance. People who make snap judgements based on car appearances are going to make one based on how cheap your car was anyway.

Darkewolfe on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey everyone, let's ignore the Saturn Astra in the corner over there. Lots of stuff standard on the XR sedan model at around $16 drive out, and it's a German import with a great ride.

The Versa is a good car, more spacious than you would think. It would be my second choice behind the Astra

But to be honest, just tell us what direction you're going in. Too many times these car threads turn into the poster just wanting his or her opinion re-affirmed.

TexiKen on
  • GaineGaine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I picked up a new '08 Yaris with a few options for about 13k not too long ago. It's the 5-speed hatchback. The look is ... well, sort of a futuristic egg, but I like it. The dashboard is focused in the center instead of in front of you, which is very odd at first but you get used to it quickly.

The only thing is I'm not sure about the moonroof option. I will second the amazing gas mileage on the thing - I'm not hitting 40 yet but it is getting over 100 degrees here for the summer, so AC is an absolute must. One fun thing about the Yaris interior is that it has tons of places to put stuff. Three cup holders, three glove boxes (one right in front of you, two in front of the passenger), a couple trays next to the stick shift, a little hidden slot that you can perfectly fit an ipod or other mp3 player next to your wheel, and two areas where standard cup holders would go that you can store other stuff. Seriously, take one for a test drive and before you go anywhere, do a little exploring around the interior and find all the little places they give you to put stuff. I actually found a couple of places my salesman hadn't found yet.

Gaine on
    obamaprime1.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I think the 2 door has more places than the 4, I've got a standard glove box, the places in the doors, two holders that are in the middle front (hard to explain them, under the stereo), a flip thing in the lower left under the steering wheel, and the flip up center console in mine.

Transparent on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

To be fair, the Ford Focus is actually a EUROPEAN car, so blame them ;)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going to be buying a Fit this year. They've done real well in Europe and Japan. Not sure whether I will get a 2008 or a 2009. I like hatchbacks and you can load a lot of shit into a Fit.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really like the Versa for the price/features ratio. When buying new, I personally prefer to go with the cheaper starting price and option up rather than going for the higher starting price with less/no options.

I would get the Versa with the CVT, sunroof, etc.

blanknogo on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, the Versa with a CVT was very tempting, it was my second choice when I was looking.

Transparent on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Versa is also the safest of all the small cars out there from every side. Meaning, if you get hit by something bigger than you (which is 80% of the road traffic), it won't completely destroy your legs or snap your neck.

TexiKen on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a 2006 Scion tC, and I like it plenty. This year's edition has less power, but it's hard to beat the standard features at that price point.

ASimPerson on
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    blanknogo wrote: »
    I really like the Versa for the price/features ratio. When buying new, I personally prefer to go with the cheaper starting price and option up rather than going for the higher starting price with less/no options.

I would get the Versa with the CVT, sunroof, etc.

You know, I never really looked at the Versa much. I didn't realize they had a CVT model that they're selling in the US. The Fit has one but they only sell it overseas. Not sure why. Also, I see both the 2008 and 2009 Versas have dealer incentives and 2.8% on 2008s and 3.9 on the 2009s.

Hmm, now I will have to do more homework.

Thanks!

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not sure if this would help at all, but a friend of mine in Canada is also going through this process. Here's how she ended up ranking the ones she tried:
    1. Honda Fit
    2. City Golf (tie)
    2. Versa (tie -- she preferred the Golf to the Versa, but the Golf was at the top end of her price range)
    3. Kia Rio5
    4. Hyundai Accent
    5. Yaris

So yeah, she's trying to track down a Fit now as well.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you live in a metro area, try getting a zipcar membership

they rent the Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Mazda 3, Scion xB, Rabbit... and it's worth trying the cars out for a longer drive when you're investing in buying a new one

Here are my experiences:

i previously loved the Mini, but after driving it for a day, i'd never buy one... the cabin noise was overwhelming at highway speeds, and the visibility/blindspots were horrible even though it's basically a tiny glass bubble, and the stock radio/climate controls were atrocious... the handling is still droolworthy tho

the Fit is surprisingly spacious inside... great drive too, and great visibility

the Rabbit really works well...the 5 cyl engine, and the 6spd auto tranny really make it shine.. the interior was quite nice too, for an inexpensive car

but the overall winner in my book is the Mazda3.. it's hard to explain, but after a day of driving it, i was not tired, the seat still comfortably supported my butt, the controls were in logical places, etc.

illig on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can get a well-optioned Corolla for under 17k. Just spec one out and send emails to dealers that have the one you want and say "I won't pay more than X. Can we do business?"

zilo on
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

No it is not.
    The US model Focus is not the same as the Euro Focus, they do not even share body panels. Now the Mazda 3, that is a similar(the same) platform, to the Euro Focus.

I am another guy that will argue for the Mazda 3. I race autocross, in Dmod with a Scirocco(1st in the last three run events). Based on that, the Mazda 3 (I drive the wagon everyday) is a great car. I beleive it to be the best car you can get for 18K. I get 30mpg in a 15 mile route with 22 traffic lights. Good acceleration and great brakes. The car is comfortable. The AC is excellent(And this is NC with 100 degree days) Good storage with the wagon. Excellent stereo for the money and there is an aftermarket adaptor that will let you run your Ipod thru the wheel controls. I searched and tested the hotrod econobox segment and the 3 is the winner. The Honda Fit comes close. It is cheaper, gets a little better economy, has a little more storage space. But it is a lot(A whole lot) slower. I have yet to hear about someone compliment how slow their car is.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
    edited July 2008
    fuelish wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

No it is not.
    The US model Focus is not the same as the Euro Focus, they do not even share body panels. Now the Mazda 3, that is a similar(the same) platform, to the Euro Focus.

I am another guy that will argue for the Mazda 3. I race autocross, in Dmod with a Scirocco(1st in the last three run events). Based on that, the Mazda 3 (I drive the wagon everyday) is a great car. I beleive it to be the best car you can get for 18K. I get 30mpg in a 15 mile route with 22 traffic lights. Good acceleration and great brakes. The car is comfortable. The AC is excellent(And this is NC with 100 degree days) Good storage with the wagon. Excellent stereo for the money and there is an aftermarket adaptor that will let you run your Ipod thru the wheel controls. I searched and tested the hotrod econobox segment and the 3 is the winner. The Honda Fit comes close. It is cheaper, gets a little better economy, has a little more storage space. But it is a lot(A whole lot) slower. I have yet to hear about someone compliment how slow their car is.

What is this after-market adapter of which you speak?

Darkewolfe on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've always been fond of the Civic.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited July 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Honestly, I think the appearance of your car matters too much to you. An under $20k car isn't going to impress anyone ever anyway, so you might as well just get a reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable car and screw the appearance. People who make snap judgements based on car appearances are going to make one based on how cheap your car was anyway.

First, I know I'm not getting a Jaguar or Porsche, I just want something that I don't hate to look at. I don't feel like that's too much to ask.

Second, thanks all for taking the time to chime in. Lots of Yaris love here. I might go drive one and see, would have to be the 4 door sedan though. Also, I'll take another look at the Mazda 3. The Astra would be on my list if they offered air conditioning with the $16,000 model. I'm also going to take a look at the Focus, there are some nice cash rebates out there and Ford dealers appear to be much more willing to deal than Toyota or Honda dealers.

I'm really amazed by the number of smaller foreign cars that don't even offer cruise as an option. It's just strange.

badpoet on
  • YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a 2008 Elantra GLS Sport (SE equivalent) this spring. It was rated this years top pick in the small sedan category by Consumer Reports against the Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, Aveo, Focus and Mazda3 in road test, reliability and safety tests. The only other cars recommended in that class were the Ford Focus and Subaru Impreza.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126602
    "The Elantra's top rating in the small sedan class shows how far Hyundai has come in the last decade," it said. "Its cars used to be unreliable and unrefined, with low scores in CR's tests. Now, some compete with the best in their classes."

Personally, I think it's a blast to drive even though it only has 138 hp in a 4 cylinder engine. I average 35-40mpg in a mix of semi-aggressive city and highway driving. I also like the fact that I have front, side curtain, side seat and rear curtain airbags, wheel mounted cruise control/stereo controls, air conditioning, power windows, remote power door locks w/ alarm, heated seats, 6 speaker cd/mp3 stereo w/ auxillary jack, power sliding glass moonroof, foglights, 16" alloy wheels and a rear spoiler. All but the foglights, alloy rims, sunroof and spoiler are standard on the GLS version which is the trim level most commonly sold. We opted for the next level up to get the extras.

I disagree that you cannot get a good looking car for < $20k.

Here are a couple photos of mine. (which has been tinted by a third party, not factory)

http://www.yarlan.com/images/avante7.jpg

http://www.yarlan.com/images/avante8.jpg

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Okay, back again.

Basically, I only have the Suzuki SX4 Crossover left to test.

I disliked the Yaris S Sedan. The ride was nothing to write home about but the price was good. The Civic was a great little car, but a bit on the expensive side. The Fit is fun, but something is missing for me. I tried the Mazda 3 out and liked it. It turned out to be my runner up tied with the VW Rabbit (but the mileage on the Rabbit killed it for me).

My winner (unless the Suzuki completely blows me away)? An American/European car. The Saturn Astra (Thanks to the folks that suggested it in here). They've got some great deals right now that will allow me to get the incredible moonroof in my price range and it's a great feeling car. Nice interior. Seems to handle as well as the Mazda 3. Doesn't have the best power, but gets decent, not great mileage. Good powertrain warranty (although, the 3/36 basic is meh). And, even though it looks okay to good in pictures, the car is downright awesome in person. Both the 4 door and 2 door are really nice looking vehicles. The lack of MP3 input isn't a dealkiller for me (sure, it'd be nice, but I have my FM transmitter from my current car), and I guess you can add in a factory center console on it, so that's a concern that's addressed.

I'm still planning on checking out the SX4, because I really want to feel like I've given everything a fair shot, but they didn't have a manual at the dealership I checked Saturday. So, hopefully this week I try one out (there are only like 4 Suzuki dealers in the area).

badpoet on
  • Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you taken a look at any Scions yet? They have an incredible amount of standard features, including top-shelf safety equipment, and they are solidly built, reliable cars since they are made by Toyota. I have a 2008 scion xB, which is a complely different car from the older model, and I love it. Roomy, comfortable, safe, quick and gets decent mileage. For $17k, I don't think you can find a better car. Plus, no haggle pricing for a relaxed purchasing experience and an extensive menu of add-ons to make it "your own". Check them out, I think you'll like them,

http://www.scion.com

Count Funkula on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love my civic. I have a two door coupe so it's not the roomiest car for more than 2 people, but it's working nicely. It just hit 70,000 miles and it's been working like a dream. On a recent road trip I got closer to 40 mpg which was nice.

Casual Eddy on
    edited August 2008
    I tried both the Civic and the Scion Xd (not brand new but a friend's). Liked them both but not enough to buy them.

badpoet on
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Go check out the tC. I had never considered them previously, but I got offered a deal that I just could not pass up (2006 with 33k for $7k...) and I absolutely love my car.

Gas mileage isn't mind-boggling, but it will get over 30mpg if you drive reasonable. The trade-off is that it's actually pretty quick. Mine is an automatic, but I would highly suggest getting a stick. The automatic gets the job done, but this car would be hoot in a stick.

As for options, I doubt you can beat it - it comes absolutely loaded and even has stuff like tire pressure sensors and brake distribution. The stereo even sounds great and has an iPod connector charges your iPod and interfaces with the dashboard controls (but don't worry, there's also an aux jack if you're iPodless like me!).

All in all, if I had the choice and I needed a new car I would just buy my car again in a stick.

The one thing you should note, though, is that it's not a small car. It's not huge, don't get me wrong, but it's deceptively large. It's not a problem (I live in San Francisco even), but it's fairly wide and longer than you'd expect. The plus side to that is that it can haul quite a bit of stuff / people. The roof line is weirdly low, but I'm 6'3 and it doesn't bother me. Backseat passengers should take advantage of the reclining rear seats to combat the low rear ceiling slope. Nobody has freaked out in the back seat (so it's not a Mustang), but it's worth mentioning.

Go test drive one! It's really worth giving it a shot.

kingmetal on
  • Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The xB is a totally different car from the xD. It has the same engine as the tC, but a lot more room and comfort than the xD. It still gets 22/28 for mileage (about 25 combined city & highway) and is an overall awesome and very flexible car.

Count Funkula on
  • BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ford Focus with diesel engine? Those are huge sellers here in Turkey.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The market for "regular" cars that run on diesel dried up with diesel jumping significantly in price. I don't think you can even buy one nowadays in the US.

But the European Focus is better than the US Focus anyway. Ford is bringing it over and eliminating their current US focus in a year or two.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited August 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The market for "regular" cars that run on diesel dried up with diesel jumping significantly in price. I don't think you can even buy one nowadays in the US.

But the European Focus is better than the US Focus anyway. Ford is bringing it over and eliminating their current US focus in a year or two.

Hmmm. Well most small cars with diesel engines would still make up for the price premium with gas consumption savings. At least my car does (Citroen C3). This is in Turkey though, where we pay $11 per gallon. Crazzzyyy.

Edit: Do you have the Fiesta in US?

2009-Ford-Fiesta.jpg

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nope, they're bringing it over for the 2010 model year I believe.

It's really dumb -- Ford has had a significant lineup of small cars in Europe for a very long time. I remember the first time a euro buddy mentioned the Ford Ka and I was like "wtf are you nuts that's not a car that exists." Now that Ford is losing tons of money, they're bringing over their small car lineup, years, YEARS too late if you ask me.

And the difference here between diesel and unleaded has been pretty significant for a while. Unleaded's at around $4, maybe a little less right now, and diesel has consistently been 75¢ more since prices started going up over $2. But even if you wanted to pay more, you can't buy a car that runs on diesel now. There's a couple cars coming out in 2009 & 2010 that run on diesel and do get good gas mileage, but it's likely to have similar problems to many of the "standard" hybrids -- paying a significant premium in order to save money in the long term isn't appealing to a lot of people here.

My wife doesn't want a car that runs on unleaded, but she doesn't like any of the alternatives -- diesel is still gas, and hybrid is still gas. None of them are future-proof, so we'll just end up with our next car being a boring-but-cheap unleaded vehicle.

I'm not really a car guy; I just keep an eye on small or cheap cars because my wife and I will have to replace our aging corolla at some point in the near future. Our options aren't exactly inspiring, sadly, which is also why I've been keeping an eye on this thread.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited August 2008
    Oh ok that makes sense. If the price of diesel is more than unleaded it definitely doesn't make sense to go for a diesel engine car. In Turkey diesel is still around %10-15 less than unleaded. And I definitely understand what you are saying about long-term savings. I lived in the U.S. for 7 years and people certainly liked to change their cars a lot, like buy a new one every 5 years. Here and I believe in Europe as well, most people stick to the same car until it starts giving them too much trouble.

I am glad American manufacturers are slowly understanding we are gonna run out of oil soon or later and people are now fully aware of large engines not being good purchases. I had an Audi A4 with a 1.8 liter engine in Virginia and most of my Americans made fun of the engine size. Now they are all emailing me to ask about some cars "that would save them gas money" :)

I would recommend Tesla for you wife but I guess that would be a little out of range :P I guess its best for you to wait a little longer. If Ford really is bringing those cars to the U.S., one of them would probably fit the bill.

Basar on