As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Man I Hate It When...

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    did this just become a vegan thread?

I hate vegan threads, now this thread is meta, it's cool we're taking it back.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    LondonBridge

Ooo. Do we get to bitch about other forumers?

_J_

funny thing about him

I accidentally banned him for like six months

So in the case of an accidental banning, how would that get rectified? I mean he can't exactly pm you to say you did it in error, and if the person is hated enough I guess no one would notice?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Church wrote: »
    I hate that "reality television" is just a word for a really really stupid game show (Like survivor) when there are shows that could far more accurately be described as reality television (COPS, most stuff on animal planet or national geographic, etc).
    -People that eat meat but can't stomach the idea of killing a cow themselves
    -People that eat meat but can't watch a lion hunting on Animal Planet

What's wrong with that, dude? Some people just can't stomach violence.

Then don't cause it? It's hypocritical to be ok with paying someone to kill your food, but to be unwilling to kill said food yourself.

I like not being dead but I don't have a medical degree.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    LondonBridge

_J_

funny thing about him

So in the case of an accidental banning, how would that get rectified? I mean he can't exactly pm you to say you did it in error, and if the person is hated enough I guess no one would notice?

I eventually noticed and rather sheepishly unbanned him

Tube on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    *.*

Yeah, I hate this too. Fucking holdover from the DOS days where every file had a damn period in it. Under Windows "del *.*" even deletes files without a single damn "." in the name! You don't see that shit with *a* deleting files without any "a"s in the name. You don't see that shit on Linux. "rm -rf *.*" won't delete files without periods in the filename, you use "rm -rf *" instead. What the fuck.
    Yes, I know what you meant, Drez.

learn 2 regexp

. means 'any character.'
    * means '0 or more repetitions of the previous symbol.'

Doc on
    edited July 2008

How long into the ban had that been going on? Or do you not remember?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2008

I said above. About six months.

Tube on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *.*

Yeah, I hate this too. Fucking holdover from the DOS days where every file had a damn period in it. Under Windows "del *.*" even deletes files without a single damn "." in the name! You don't see that shit with *a* deleting files without any "a"s in the name. You don't see that shit on Linux. "rm -rf *.*" won't delete files without periods in the filename, you use "rm -rf *" instead. What the fuck.

Every windows file still has a "." in the name. They are just hidden by default for "known file types".

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who have post gimmicks. Signing their posts. Putting some stupid piece of emo poetry at the end or/and beginning of their posts every time (bonus points if it's in Japanese). Write in different colour. Write in a font so small that I have to fucking squint my eyes to read it.. You know what? Doing that doesn't make you a special little snowflake, it doesn't make you any more artistic, it just makes you look goddamn pretentious. SIGNATURES are there for a reason fella, USE THEM.

Is this a tiny reason to get annoyed over? You betcha. But it still. Pisses. Me. Off. D:

Heh. I betcha like my sig then?

You do, dontcha?

dontcha?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited July 2008

I said above. About six months.

Oh I thought you meant you had him on a 6 month ban, like it would be up in 6 months.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    learn 2 regexp

Which reminds me, I fucking hate perl.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    edited July 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    People who have post gimmicks. Signing their posts. Putting some stupid piece of emo poetry at the end or/and beginning of their posts every time (bonus points if it's in Japanese). Write in different colour. Write in a font so small that I have to fucking squint my eyes to read it.. You know what? Doing that doesn't make you a special little snowflake, it doesn't make you any more artistic, it just makes you look goddamn pretentious. SIGNATURES are there for a reason fella, USE THEM.

Is this a tiny reason to get annoyed over? You betcha. But it still. Pisses. Me. Off. D:

You do, dontcha?

dontcha?

I know I do.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

You do, dontcha?

dontcha?

I don't mind your signature because it is a signature.

DarkCrawler on
    edited July 2008
    I, however, hate it because it's in Japanese and as far as I can tell there are very few people here that know Japanese.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate it because it's spelled weeaboo.

Actually, I don't hate it at all.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *.*

Every windows file still has a "." in the name. They are just hidden by default for "known file types".

No, actually.

First of all, turning off "hide extentions for known file types" is the first thing I do when I install Windows.

Second, you can easily make a file without an extension at all. Seriously. Go do it. Do it right now. Put it in a folder by itself, open a command prompt, go to the folder, and type "del *.*"

edit: doc, rm doesn't use regexes.

Daedalus on
    edited July 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    learn 2 regexp

Which reminds me, I fucking hate perl.

It's good, but when you see some shit like

-lp040 $@+=$@%1e3*(9x(3*y/dbl/\xe4/-4*/e/))||/te|\xe4/././*$+.e./y/}{$_=$@;s/\B(?=(...)*$)/,/g

(that code converts written numbers like "nine hundred fifty" to "950")

you want to blow a gasket.

Doc on
    edited July 2008
    *.*

No, actually.

First of all, turning off "hide extentions for known file types" is the first thing I do when I install Windows.

Second, you can easily make a file without an extension at all. Seriously. Go do it. Do it right now. Put it in a folder by itself, open a command prompt, go to the folder, and type "del *.*"

One strange behavior of windows is that renaming something through explorer to start with a "." doesn't work, but that convention is not enforced anywhere else.

Doc on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god what have I started.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate it because it's spelled weeaboo.

Actually, I don't hate it at all.

I sure hate weeaboos

But that's like hating Ammonia

Nerdgasmic on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *.*

No, actually.

*sigh*

1) It is impossible to create a file with "without an extension at all". If you don't enter one the file as an extension of "" (empty string) which is different from a null extension.
    2) Even if it is not rendered in the browser a file with an extension of "" still has a "." after the file name.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Girls who insist they want good guys yet always go out with douchebags

See I hate no confidence losers, who blame the women they can't get for not picking up the secret voodo signal you wanted to date them.

To be fair, you are assuming a lot about the implications of TrueHereticX's comment. Now, I'm no bastion of confidence, but I did summon up the courage to ask a girl out on a date only to be turned down. A month later, she was dating a guy and she did say the classic, "Oh, he's so great; he's just like you." Now, I know that there are all sorts of subtleties behind the phrase "he's just like you", such as there she may like my personality type but there just wasn't any chemistry between us or she's trying to introduce her beau to her friends and is building rapport between me and him or whatever. However, it's still an annoying thing to say.

Premier kakos on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    LondonBridge

_J_

funny thing about him

It was likely the collective unconsciousness of these forums directing you to act in the greater good of the forums. And then you had to throw it all away. I'm disappointed CT.

Premier kakos on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

See I hate no confidence losers, who blame the women they can't get for not picking up the secret voodo signal you wanted to date them.

To be fair, you are assuming a lot about the implications of TrueHereticX's comment. Now, I'm no bastion of confidence, but I did summon up the courage to ask a girl out on a date only to be turned down. A month later, she was dating a guy and she did say the classic, "Oh, he's so great; he's just like you." Now, I know that there are all sorts of subtleties behind the phrase "he's just like you", such as there she may like my personality type but there just wasn't any chemistry between us or she's trying to introduce her beau to her friends and is building rapport between me and him or whatever. However, it's still an annoying thing to say.

I was considering calling out Preacher's assumptions, but I was afraid of turning this into another Nice Guy thread.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Women can also be douchebags.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2008
    *.*

No, actually.

*sigh*

1) It is impossible to create a file with "without an extension at all". If you don't enter one the file as an extension of "" (empty string) which is different from a null extension.
    2) Even if it is not rendered in the browser a file with an extension of "" still has a "." after the file name.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Every file in any of Windows's fucking file systems has a hidden character in it to retain backwards compatibility with some shitty idea thought up in the early eighties. Real operating systems don't do that shit.

Daedalus on
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Women can also be douchebags.

That they can

Thanks for defending me Premier :)

Also, I hate people who automatically assume I have no confidence

And Ethinicities who think that racism only goes there way

TrueHereticX on
    edited July 2008

facepalm

Daedalus on
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

facepalm

Facepalm to me or the stupidity of the situation?

TrueHereticX on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Murago wrote: »
    I'm an English Nazi, so I hate people who don't use correct grammar. Or better yet, when the sentences they say/use just don't make sense.

ex. "I don't like red as a color."

My buddy whom I support as much as I can for his approach anxiety and dating/social life, but when the tables are turned, I see him flat out laughing when I attempt to talk to a girl.

90% of kids.

The words "very" and "like". I'm in the process of killing these from my vocabulary. It's a difficult task.
    I'm sorry, but I'm a bit of a prick who can't resist. I blame it on the pricks who did it to me when I did it to them.
    Feral wrote: »
    There's a regional practice in San Francisco where if you're on an escalator and you just want to stand, you stand on the right and leave a lane for people to walk on the left.

I'd never encountered this until moving here, and now when people don't do it, it annoys me.
    We have that here in most places, except we're on the left (takes after driving lanes, I suppose). It also happens on stairs and even on streets.
    It's some kind of natural law that any post correcting someone's grammar or spelling will, itself, contain at least one grammatical or spelling error.
    I make sure I re-read any such posts I make before I post them. Of course, that doesn't actually mean I won't have errrs.
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    10) Light bulbs fall out of their socket for no apparent reason.
    Some time ago, I was walking down our main corridor, past the toilet. I happened to look at the ceiling of the toilet (and so at the light bulb). I take it you can guess what happened next.
    -People who are grammar nazis, even when the offense did nothing to impede communication (I'm looking at you, who/whom pricks)
    And there I was thinking no one listened. :D

Cyvros on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How popular Atlas Shrugged is.
    Bad arguments for eating meat.
    People who think 'cism died in the sixties.

MrMister on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Then don't cause it? It's hypocritical to be ok with paying someone to kill your food, but to be unwilling to kill said food yourself.

What if your unwillingness to kill an animal for food weren't based in morality?

I'm okay with throwing stuff in the trash but I wouldn't want to be a garbage man because I don't want to look at garbage all day. If somebody doesn't want to see blood and guts because they find it unpleasant, that doesn't make them a hypocrite.

Point taken.

TL DR on
    edited July 2008
    People who go to concerts and then scream while the artist/band is performing.

You're supposed to be listening you fucking retards.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm certainly not anti-feminist but I really dislike girls who use feminism as a scapegoat for behaving as sexist as they like. It ruins the credibility of feminism to everyone around them.

theSquid on
    edited July 2008
    That would be using men as a scapegoat, not feminism.

It's men who use feminism as a scapegoat to excuse sexism.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate it when kids suck at putting together the shrine of the silver monkey. Its only *three* fucking pieces, for pete's sake! Only so much of that stupidity can be blamed on the pressure of being on TV.

God.

An-D on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate that "reality television" is just a word for a really really stupid game show (Like survivor) when there are shows that could far more accurately be described as reality television (COPS, most stuff on animal planet or national geographic, etc).

But does the sight of a death prevention upset you to the point where you can't even think about it while enjoying your not dying?

TL DR on
  • taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    people who think they own a surf spot really make me mad. It's a public beach so while they can't force you to leave; they will heckle you, throw trash at you and block you from catching the good waves. I had to drive forty fucking streets to get to the next break.

taco144 on
    edited July 2008

But does the sight of a death prevention upset you to the point where you can't even think about it while enjoying your not dying?

If I was upset by the sight of blood it would.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    Bad arguments for eating meat.

Bad arguments for not eating meat.
    Bad arguments for just about anything, actually, even stuff I believe in.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.