As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiplayer Gaming Settings for PC and Router

LachLach Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just moved to a new apartment about 10 miles away from my old one. I'm using the same ISP but for some reason things seem different. I still download things quickly, the problem come when I look for a CS:S server or I try to connect to an Xbox Live game.

My pings are much higher than they were in my old place and I get a lot of errors on XBL.

The PC is the same and the ISP is the same. The only thing that has changed is my router (Although I was using the exact same model before and had never messed around with the settings) and of course I'm in a different place geographically.

Summary:
1. I moved to a new city
2. I'm using the same ISP
3. I get higher pings( used to get pings as low as 25-30, now the lowest is 80) and fewer servers when I refresh the server browser. This is my main problem.
4. Haven't been able to join a Gears of war Game (although this might be a problem with the game, haven't tried GRAW yet)

I have a few questions:

1.Is there anything I can to my PC or router to fix this?
2.What settings or hacks have you guys had to apply?
3.Am I screwed because I'm too far from the phone company?

Thanks! Also, feel free to hijack this thread if you also have questions about routers or other internet settings for multiplayer gaming.

Lach on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like a router issue and not a ping issue. 80ms ping is still a damn good ping.

Have you tried DMZing the 360 or your computer through the router?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'll google DMZ and see if it helps.

I just find it strange that my pings are double and I find fewer servers when I search.

Anyone else have this problem?

Lach on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nah setting the DMZ is an all or nothing thing. If you can see and/or join games then the DMZ isn't an issue. The DMZ only affects you hosting a game, not joining one (incoming connections).

Download throughput doesn't equate to ping. You can still have a decent download speed but have a shitty ping (see satellite). Ping is the time it takes your connection to make a round-trip to whatever it is you're pinging and if you've moved, chances are you might be furthur away from the C.O., thus have a worse ping. There's no change you can make to your router/modem to affect this as it's all about your geographic area.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Run cmd, type ping -t www.google.com and let it run for a while, to stop press CTRL+C ... or was it CTRL+Z? It will give you statistics, lost packets are probably most important.

Connect the PC directly to the internet and do the same thing - if they differ much then it's probably some router problem, if they are both similar and you loose packets or the ping jumps a lot then I would complain to the ISP.

If the ping is just high then I don't think the ISP would do anything about that. You could try some other provider though.

If it looks like the router is at fault then try messing around with the settings, maybe google the router product number, or check http://www.dslreports.com/ and their forums...

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What kind of internet service do you have? The most common issue with cable is that if you live in a large neighbourhood, then the bandwidth could be getting split amoungst a lot of people. Or if it's ADSL it's possible that you moved further away from the broadcast station which will result in a slower connection.

Vindicta_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think it just may be a problem with the area I'm living in. This really sucks. I used to get thousands of servers when I refreshed the list in steam or CS. Now might get a few hundred and the pings are twice as high.

although the ISP is selling 3.0Mbit down for $38/ month. The speed test shows 1.9 down.

Lach on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If it's cable I'd definitely agree that it sounds like your node is too congested in the new neighborhood. Though, that doesn't necessarily explain why you're not getting as many servers listed in CS -- unless you have a ping filter set and it's not displaying the other, now higher ping servers.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's DSL, and I don't have any ping filters set.

I can't even connect to the servers that DO show up. I click the link, a small server info window shows up then the ping goes really high and it never connects. Just kind of sits there.

Lach on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maybe you're in the grey-range of DSL that is like... too far from the ISP but close enough that they can steal your money.

Geography would explain this.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agreed, that's the explanation in the case of DSL; however, it still doesn't explain why he's getting significantly less servers (unless CS has a built-in ping timeout...even so it'd be significantly large), or why he can't log on to servers that do show up. I'd agree with the suggestion of connecting the PC directly to the modem and giving it a shot. That should tell you if it's something on the router.

twmjr on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited January 2007
    It may be the condition of the line at your new place.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, I think maybe I should try the Cable out for a little while. I'm just afraid it's going to be slow as hell when everyone in this building gets online.

I just don't get it, I can't even get into the servers that do show up.

Lach on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Start > Run > type in "cmd" > type "ping google.com" > check for the ms and packets sent/lost.

If it sucks, try making a direct onnection with your pc without a router. If the problem stays, call your internet provider.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I tried that and everything seems fine. ms around 78-80 and no packets lost.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Guys, thanks for all the replies.

I ordered Cable internet and it's really fast. I had a ping of 25 this morning, and the server list has a lot more servers. The speed test was twice as fast as DSL.

Problem Solved!

Lach on