As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Handheld platformy goodness desired

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
You know those threads where people ask for a recommendation for a game from a particular genre and then everyone lists their favourite games along with extremely tenuous reasons why they are vaguely related to the original request? Well it’s my turn.

Of on holiday soon and looking for a DS/GBA game to pick up before I go. I’m taking FF Tactics Advance 2 so am after something actiony/platformy fun to complement the slower methodical pace. I’m very open to a wide interpretation of this but not so keen on too much shooty. For example Megaman - no no no, but Metroid – yes yes yes. Top down Zelda style also good.

Already played the Metroidvanias, the Metroids, the Marios, the Zeldas and the Kirbys.

The exception to the above is Kirby Nightmare Mirror, or whatever the one with the mobile phones was called, so I’ll go with that if nothing else more obscure that I might have missed rears it’s head.

Thanking you in advance collective PA brain.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A variation on the genre, Astro Boy and (GBA!) Spyro: The Eternal Night are both great platformers slash beat'em'ups with upgrade and combo mechanics. Neither of the games is all that easy (in fact, Astro Boy is pretty challenging even on Normal), but they are loads of fun.
    If picking one, grab Astro Boy. It's a lot longer and has more variation in gameplay, but some of the boss fights will really make you work. If you find you like it, grab Spyro also.

Glal on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I second Astro boy for GBA. It can be had for pretty cheap. If you love the stuff Treasure comes up with, then you will love that game.

The Sonic advance games? I remember playing one of these and thinking it was pretty okay.

Also, Castlevania - Dawn of sorrow is sort of a platformer/action game.

Rotam on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game you want is drill dozer.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you played Super Princess Peach? I forget. It may be embarrassing to buy or whatever but it is a fantastic platformer.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sonic Rush Adventure, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime are all excellent DS stuff.

Xagarath on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Astroboy - Comes up a lot but doesn't leap out as my kind of thing, not so keen on the beat 'em up elements I think.

Drilldozer - Yes! The kind of thing I was hoping for. Ordered but might not arrive in time so keep suggestions coming.

Super Princess Peach - Already played and highly enjoyed. I'd class on a similar level to the Kirbies, not hugely challenging but a great fun experience none the less.

Metroidvanias - were already on my 'played' list.

Rocket Slime and Sonic - Also already played and enjoyed!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2008
    Astroboy - Comes up a lot but doesn't leap out as my kind of thing, not so keen on the beat 'em up elements I think.
    Neither was I. Then, much like Ratchet&Clank, I went from "meh, I just want a platformer darn it!" to "...more. More please. Could I get some more? Yes? Yes? More?".

Glal on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ninja 5-0 on the GBA if you can find it.

Metal Slug 7 is out now in Japan, and pretty import friendly.

LewieP on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Astro Boy sucked. All Treasure games on the gba sucked. I'm right and you need to get over it. And reading comprehension is low as always.

Wasn't there a Klonoa on the gba?

RichardTauber on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Ninja 5-0 on the GBA if you can find it.

Metal Slug 7 is out now in Japan, and pretty import friendly.

So they release Anthology/Complete on PS2/PSP/Wii, and then release 7 on the DS? o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2008
    Astro Boy sucked. My opinions from this point on are null and void.
    Understood.

Glal on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Understood.

Astroboy is the only game which used the "necessary to play through a second time" game mechanic without annoying me. In fact, I loved the way the story changed as a result.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It made the game imo.

LewieP on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PSP + Cave Story

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game you want is drill dozer.

You've already ordered it, OP, but this is indeed the correct answer. Possibly my favorite GBA game of all time. It's the perfect blend of "fairly easy/straightforward main game" and "tons of hidden extras and brutal challenge stages."

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • aparrishaparrish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's gotta be Klonoa: Empire of Dreams. It's an awesome puzzle game in the guise of a platformer. Not so pretty to look at, and not lengthy, but it's a lot of fun and quite unique.

aparrish on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I'm not mistaken, N+ comes out on the DS next week. The 360 version of N+ is the best platformer I've ever played so I can't imagine the DS version being too shabby.

RainbowDespair on
    edited August 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Understood.

Astroboy is the only game which used the "necessary to play through a second time" game mechanic without annoying me. In fact, I loved the way the story changed as a result.

Having to play a game twice in order to beat it is stupid. Plain stupid. Not the good stupid either. The bad stupid.

RichardTauber on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Understood.

Having to play a game twice in order to beat it is stupid. Plain stupid. Not the good stupid either. The bad stupid.

Well, it worked out a lot better than most.

Spoilers of the basic idea:
    You see, you go back in time...BUT, your doing so means that the levels are actually significantly different in stuff like enemy layouts and plot, and boss battles and so on.

So it really does work.

yalborap on
    edited August 2008
    Buzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Sorry, can't hear you over the noise of how wrong you are.

Glal on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've always liked Lady Siah, myself.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2008
    Understood.

Astroboy is the only game which used the \"necessary to play through a second time\" game mechanic without annoying me. In fact, I loved the way the story changed as a result.

Symphony of the Night disagrees.

Six on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Six wrote: »
    Understood.

Astroboy is the only game which used the \"necessary to play through a second time\" game mechanic without annoying me. In fact, I loved the way the story changed as a result.

I like the little twist they did with that too.

Igort on
    edited August 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    Understood.

The only bad part of that castle was how many things became a pain in the ass to reach, but there's only so much you can do.

yalborap on
    edited August 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Understood.

You see, you go back in time...BUT, your doing so means that the levels are actually significantly different in stuff like enemy layouts and plot, and boss battles and so on.

So it really does work.

Smells like lazy to me.

RichardTauber on
    edited August 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    Understood.

Astroboy is the only game which used the \\\"necessary to play through a second time\\\" game mechanic without annoying me. In fact, I loved the way the story changed as a result.

The only bad part of that castle was how many things became a pain in the ass to reach, but there\'s only so much you can do.

By that point in the game you can pretty easily get anywhere, though, if I remember correctly.

Six on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Understood.

So it really does work.

Smells like lazy to me.

It's only lazy if there's not a good reason for it. In the case of Astro Boy, it's actually pretty innovative and it doesn't detract from the fun at all. It wasn't exactly just copy/paste.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    It's about as lazy as Majora's Mask.

Glal on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The CT Special Forces series for the GBA is pretty good, and you can probably find that for dirt cheap. It's essentially a pretty good Metal Slug ripoff.

If you want to import games, the four Stafy games are pretty good and can be enjoyed without knowing Japanese.

I liked all of the Sonic Advance games and the DS Sonic games. My favorite of these is probably Sonic Advance 2, although I don't think I share the same taste in Sonic games as some other people do.

ikillkenny on
    edited August 2008

You're so full of shit. Zelda #6 isn't lazy? Right. Let's make another Zelda!

RichardTauber on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Just because there are a lot of games based around an IP does not make those games bad, especially when the game is innovating from iteration to iteration. I personally didn't care that much for Majora's Mask, but it did do a lot of cool and inventive things. Calling Majora's Mask lazy is kind of silly, as it's one of the more original Zelda titles.

Calling Nintendo lazy for creating 'another' Zelda game is just stupid. Welcome to the world of video games. Here we have sequels and established franchises.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008

Just because there are a lot of games based around an IP does not make those games bad, especially when the game is innovating from iteration to iteration. I personally didn't care that much for Majora's Mask, but it did do a lot of cool and inventive things. Calling Majora's Mask lazy is absolutely ridiculous, as it's one of the more original Zelda titles.

Calling Nintendo lazy for creating 'another' Zelda game is just stupid. Welcome to the world of video games. Here we have sequels and established franchises.

Don't go and get all reasonable on me!

But seriously, comparing Astro boy with Majora's Mask is like comparing generic sci/fi clone with Star Wars episode five.

RichardTauber on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Enough about Astroboy! Some of you like it a lot, one of you doesn't, that'll do now.

Klonoa has got my attention but seems impossible to source in the time I have available.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2008
    I meant the 3 day loop mechanic, Haakon.

Glal on
    edited August 2008
    I meant the 3 day loop mechanic, Haakon.

Yeah, sorry, couldn't hear you because of all the static.

RichardTauber on
    edited August 2008
    No, my penis is bigger. Also, your parents told me you're adopted.

Glal on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Top down Zelda style also good.

252px-Juka.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66OuEQoq3A

Opium on
    edited August 2008
    I...I read that as homophobic space at first.:oops:

yalborap on
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I...I read that as homophobic space at first.:oops:
    Must be a Freudian slip. :winky:

Arceus on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Just because there are a lot of games based around an IP does not make those games bad, especially when the game is innovating from iteration to iteration. I personally didn't care that much for Majora's Mask, but it did do a lot of cool and inventive things. Calling Majora's Mask lazy is absolutely ridiculous, as it's one of the more original Zelda titles.

Don't go and get all reasonable on me!

But seriously, comparing Astro boy with Majora's Mask is like comparing generic sci/fi clone with Star Wars episode five.

Star Wars is generic sci-fi, though.
    Yes, really
    Ignore your childhood nostalgia, they aren't that great

Xagarath on