As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Discreet Shankings Abound

RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
assassins-creed-wallpaper.jpg
Original Release Date: November 2007

Assassin's Creed is a free-roaming action/adventure/sorta-platformer that has attracted sharply divided opinions due to its excellent presentation and lacking gameplay. I recently borrowed this off one of my brother's friends and decided to see how it was for myself.

In this game you play as Desmond, a sarcastic young man who is hooked up to a machine that reads his genetic memory and allows him to enter the role of ancestor Altair. Altair is a man in a white robe who lives in a parallel-universe Middle East in which all problems can be solved by a man in a white robe stabbing someone until they die.

800px-Assassins_creed_assasination.jpg

Yes, like that.

You traipse through the religious city of Jerusalem, the desert thoroughfare of Damascus and the plague-ridden and inexplicably Cockney hellhole Acre in a quest to kill nine men for your long-winded and -bearded master. Along the way you stab hundreds and hundreds of people who seem to share only three or four lines apiece, while gaining information on your targets occasionally pickpocketing or interrogating (and shanking) random malcontents. You may also enjoy doing timed flag races for your asshole assassin friends, traveling between these objectives in a stunning display of parkour across the cities' upper layer.

I'm up to the final assassination, and while the complaints of repetition and bloated dialogue are unquestionably true, I've still been attracted enough by the style and presentation to enjoy playing. The nine targets themselves are a lot of fun, although it does get harder to administer an adequately discreet shank. I've done my best nevertheless, with the exception of the Regent, who offended me to the point that I killed him, anyone standing near him, and anyone who tried to get away afterwards. I'd say that's a point in the game design's favor.

The timed assassination missions can kiss my dick, though.

Rust on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Two things. This was one of my favorite games ever as long as I completely ignored what I was supposed to do and made up my own little mini-missions. Secondly, this:

Assassity Sax

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved this game. The find all the flags dealies do my head in though. I'm terrible at things like that, but OCD enough that not doing so makes me feel dirty.

Also, it took me ages to figure out that you could counter with the magical arm needle of doom, even though blocking wasn't an option. Once I did though, I was most pleased.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    this game came out less than a year ago will you people please stop putting lttp on every thread

Tube on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited August 2008
    i got the PC version recently and i'm a little disappointed with the performance, 20-40fps at 1440x900 on a 9600GT with 2GB of RAM seems a little lacklustre

the new missions seem like fun, though

bongi on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What kind of new missions,pray tell?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited August 2008
    one of the missions has you follow a dude and protect him while guards attack, one has you running over rooftops to find a guy in a certain amount of time, and another has you grab guards and throw them into market stalls

bongi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Grabbing guards and throwing them into market stalls sounds like a FANTASTIC mission.

What's the premise of this? "Altair, I hate these merchants,always shouting about their wares! Throw some guards into their market stalls to shut them up and I will share my information with you!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game had fantastic potential, and was occationally truly excellent, but the repetitive nature of the missions unfortunately made it somewhat mediocre.

Good things: Visuals are stunning, it's highly cinematic, animations are awesome, the cities are large and very lifelike, you get to shank people

Bad things: Repetitive missions, the game takes control of the camera in awkward moments, "collect these 100 flags to get an achievements"-stupidity, repetitive combat towards the end

IMO

Grudge on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The sadistic side of me always loved luring a guard up to a rooftop above a crowded square, and tossing him down to his death, the crowds reaction is pricelessly hilarious to me.:lol:

Also, waiting for the other guards to come an inspect his body, and knifing each of them from a distance. They just...keep...coming.:P

"Who did this?!" GAAAH!...."hmm hmmm hmm...Hey, who's responsible for this?!" GAAAH!....etc.

Scotty on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    The biggest flaw for me, and the reason I don't play it all the time, is the unskippable cutscenes.

Tube on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The biggest flaw for me, and the reason I don't play it all the time, is the unskippable cutscenes.

But they were interactive! You could totally walk slowly around in a 6x6ft square. You could walk left, right, pace back and forth, turn on the spot...it was amazing.

I hate this damn game, I never know what to say when people ask me if its any good or not.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    major_tom wrote: »

But they were interactive! You could totally walk slowly around in a 6x6ft square. You could walk left, right, pace back and forth, turn on the spot...it was amazing.

I hate this damn game, I never know what to say when people ask me if its any good or not.

Yeah, I sold the game when it was still worth a chunk of change, may pick it up again when it reaches bargain bin level...still fun enough to own if the price is right.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    During cutscenes I always tipped the analog stick as slightly as possible to one direction.

This makes Altair skimmy ever so slowly forward. It's a fantastic animation, he's basically trying to look motionless but still move forward.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is in my Gamefly queue, I'm not sure why I waited so long.

Trevor on
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, i've never owned this game, but from watching the videos, i just have one question.

What the fuck is with Altair touching everybody as he walks past? Who does that?

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    See, back in those days, it was customary when walking through crowds to ....ah, I got nuthin'.

Scotty on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    major_tom wrote: »

Why don't you just tell you hate it?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm working my way through this as part of my backlog clearing efforts (Orange Box next... Damn you CoD, damn youuuuuu!) and it is pretty fun doing the shank. There are some frustrating bits, the repetitious dialogue, flag catching and combat, but overall the experience is enjoyable.

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Don't get me wrong, I really like Assassin's Creed, but this totally kills the replayability. We're in the 'next' generation here, people! Pauseable, skippable cutscenes - that's the way of the future! Heck, FFXII did it! Odin Sphere did it for god's sakes.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No it's totally natural to touch people as you walk by! It helps you blend in. See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM

Pemulis on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

A thousand times this.

Also, I did replay it a bit, only because on your second playthrough you can stab anyone you want without losing sync. I still have a save somewhere of "second playthrough, Hidden Blade obtained" that was reloaded quite often when I just felt like stabbing everyone in the town.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sequel: Future. Cybernetic identity masking suit. Bitchin' sword. Rooftops.

Iriah on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    During cutscenes I always tipped the analog stick as slightly as possible to one direction.

This makes Altair skimmy ever so slowly forward. It's a fantastic animation, he's basically trying to look motionless but still move forward.

I turn his back towards me, try and get the camera to cut off the bottom half of his body, then mash the A button and its looks like he is jerking off.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lewie, what....the ... hell??

And those unskippable cutscenes really ruin a lot of the replay value.
    I wanted to show my nephew the game and started the last chapter.
    Good god,all the talking and talking and then the credits ran ect...

My nephew was all "When can we finally play? This is taking AGES!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The game got boring, I found it funny.

Don't judge me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He may have been infracted for it, but kudos to that man for finding something to entertain himself through those interminable shitfests.

The only thing worse than listening to an frustratingly gullible and whiny protagonist being hoodwinked by Medieval Dick Dastardly is being forced to sit there walking in tiny circles as he drones on. Freedom is close you can taste it but its dangled just out of your reach by the gamers greatest enemy: invisible walls.

Honestly who fucking sat down, designed that section and thought they'd come up with something that human beings would enjoy? Not even Germans would like that!

Long story short: great Parkour engine wrapped up in a overly scripted piece of shit game.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, this was easily the best "running across rooftops" game I've played in a damn long time.

I guess you got to stab people, too? I always just saw that part as an excuse to get people to chase you across said rooftops.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »
    No it's totally natural to touch people as you walk by! It helps you blend in. See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM

Funny, but if anything, this video just reminded me of how absolutely awesome this game's music was.
    BigKev wrote: »
    Ok, i've never owned this game, but from watching the videos, i just have one question.

What the fuck is with Altair touching everybody as he walks past? Who does that?

You've never done that? Really? I guess it's because I work in a supermarket, but I find myself doing that frequently. Small space to move, lots of people moving around... reminding them that you're there with a palm makes more sense than slamming into them with your ass.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Long story short: great Parkour engine wrapped up in a overly scripted piece of shit game.

This. It was a great tech demo, but the gameplay seemed to consist largely of climbing tall things and jumping off and occasionally pretneding to be a monk despite carrying a massive personal arsenal of bladed weapons.

I think I gave up after the second mission. Got 850 points on Goozex and I'm happy.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    THAT WILL COST YOU YOUR LIFE!

Assassin's Creed has amazing fluidity and animation quality just moving around the city. I hated failing an informant mission and then having to wait forever while he rambles on about it again before I could repeat it though.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Climbing all over rooftops was fun.

Getting chased by guards through the town was a lot of fun.

Jumping around killing assholes who were harrassing innocent civilians like some kind of 11th-century Batman was a hell of a lot of fun.

Really, the rest of the game was just some stuff you did in between all of those things.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just bought this from a friend who's selling his 360 for a PS3 (He has the Metal Gear monkey on his back). Is there a super long boring intro movie/segment? Or can I just start stabbing? Because if I can just start stabbing I'm gonna play a bit tonight.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just bought this from a friend who's selling his 360 for a PS3 (He has the Metal Gear monkey on his back). Is there a super long boring intro movie/segment? Or can I just start stabbing? Because if I can just start stabbing I'm gonna play a bit tonight.

There's an intro movie. And an intro level. Without any awesome parkour segments.

I found the storyline stuff to be pretty interesting the first time around, but it's really unfortunate that you can't skip through it on later playthroughs.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Climbing all over rooftops was fun.

Getting chased by guards through the town was a lot of fun.

Jumping around killing assholes who were harrassing innocent civilians like some kind of 11th-century Batman was a hell of a lot of fun.

Really, the rest of the game was just some stuff you did in between all of those things.

Even near the end of the game, when I was getting sick and tired of repetitive missions, I still did the rescues. Flying facestab off the rooftops = extremely satisfying.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, rooftop guards are hilarious. "Hey, you're not supposed to be up he--ghlkkk"

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Even near the end of the game, when I was getting sick and tired of repetitive missions, I still did the rescues. Flying facestab off the rooftops = extremely satisfying.

I liked calmly walking up to them and seeing how many I could kill with the Hidden Blade until they noticed.

I think my record was 3.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I liked calmly walking up to them and seeing how many I could kill with the Hidden Blade until they noticed.

I think my record was 3.

blend blend blend stab blend stab stab blend

"Hey guys, maybe we should turn around now."

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never found most of the climbing fun. I usually just had to hold up and the "do gymnastics and shit" button.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I think my record was 3.

blend blend blend stab blend stab stab blend

"Hey guys, maybe we should turn around now."

This is cheating (or at least doesn't count toward the total), but once they notice you and start pointing, grab one and throw him to the ground, then run up and use the hidden blade.

Hidden blade is an insta-kill on anyone who's been knocked to the ground. Even the last boss.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A major complaint -
    If you are going to make people talking be background noise the whole time, record more phrases.

I am halfway through it and have heard certain phrases upward of twenty times.

LewieP on