As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Discreet Shankings Abound

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    A major complaint -
    If you are going to make people talking be background noise the whole time, record more phrases.

I am halfway through it and have heard certain phrases upward of twenty times.

Also allow me to perma kill some of those annoying preachers.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    A major complaint -
    If you are going to make people talking be background noise the whole time, record more phrases.

I am halfway through it and have heard certain phrases upward of twenty times.

"A crusade for what? Ignorace? Violence?"

I was about ready to start killing all those guys, too.

edit: hahah, beaten.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always got the feeling that this game was a lot better and more free-form in development, and then they focus-grouped it and all the mouth breathers were like, "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing! I need a map, and objectives, and an arrow pointing me in the right direction!" so they sucked the immersion right the fuck out.

I mean, there's a lot of things in the game (climbing the observation points, that weird "in the zone" thing with the colors, the briefings from the guys at the chapter house telling you where to go) that are completely pointless if all you need to do is go from one labelled point on the map to another.

I think it would have been a much more enjoyable game if you had to actually, you know, track down the guy you have to pick-pocket buy climbing and then examining the crowds, or by paying attention to the scripted cues, rather than just running to a waypoint. I realize you can actually play that way buy turning the GPS and HUD off, but most people don't think to do that, because most games default to the way they are supposed to be played, not the other way around.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never really understood the un-love this game got. Okay, so you didn't like the story. I'll admit it was quite a reach, genetics = memory and all... but I felt it was pretty damn awesome, running around ancient cities, determining who lives and who dies, cinematic combat... I dunno, I guess you could distill it down to tomb raider - boobs + more humanoids, but I just felt so fun to play. I guess if I had ONE complaint, I never cared for the horseback stuff, but everything else in the game was pretty much gold.

Does anyone know if they added achievements this on the PS3? I haven't played it since the release to the firmware...

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait.
    I loved Assassin's Creed because I approached it as an adventure game instead of a stealth/third-person action trip... To me the real game was Desmond uncovering why he was imprisoned more than how I could "shank target X" the best. I think that attitude coloured my expectations for AC because I went in for a more slow-burn experience akin to the early Sierra/Lucasart's SCUMM type games.

And frankly after MGS4 and my current first go at DMC..er.. 4, AC's cutscenes are fucking anorexic... And I didn't find them long-winded to begin with.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I always got the feeling that this game was a lot better and more free-form in development, and then they focus-grouped it and all the mouth breathers were like, "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing! I need a map, and objectives, and an arrow pointing me in the right direction!" so they sucked the immersion right the fuck out.

I mean, there's a lot of things in the game (climbing the observation points, that weird "in the zone" thing with the colors, the briefings from the guys at the chapter house telling you where to go) that are completely pointless if all you need to do is go from one labelled point on the map to another.

I think it would have been a much more enjoyable game if you had to actually, you know, track down the guy you have to pick-pocket buy climbing and then examining the crowds, or by paying attention to the scripted cues, rather than just running to a waypoint. I realize you can actually play that way buy turning the GPS and HUD off, but most people don't think to do that, because most games default to the way they are supposed to be played, not the other way around.

I played the entire game without minimap and only with the healthbar enabled.
    I climbed the towers,looked around in eagle vision to spot important people and made my way through the streets.

I basically knew all cities like I'd been living in them for years.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

And this.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The cutscenes might not be so bad if it wasn't just the main character and the leader talking about random boring shit that may or may not prove important later on.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

I played the entire game without minimap and only with the healthbar enabled.
    I climbed the towers,looked around in eagle vision to spot important people and made my way through the streets.

I basically knew all cities like I'd been living in them for years.

That's definitely the way it's supposed to be played--I just wish they had mentioned it in the manual or something.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would have adored this game if the random civilian harassments were random.

Instead after you cleared an area.. it was dead. Sure, there were guards and shit, but I wanted something a little more sandboxy to play around in. Some level of actual AI.

Also, an explanation as to how random Crusades era grunts could pull the same running leaps and climbs I could across the rooftops.

kildy on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't find the cutscenes particulary long and/or annoying. Come to think of it, I think they did a reasonable job discussing morality and religion in a fairly interesting way. It was only when
    the assassin boss started talking about those alien super-powerful McGuffins towards the end they kinda lost me. I mean, why all the sci-fi? Why not just leave it at the morality/power/society discussion?

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Grudge wrote: »
    I didn't find the cutscenes particulary long and/or annoying. Come to think of it, I think they did a reasonable job discussing morality and religion in a fairly interesting way. It was only when
    the assassin boss started talking about those alien super-powerful McGuffins towards the end they kinda lost me. I mean, why all the sci-fi? Why not just leave it at the morality/power/society discussion?
    because otherwise there was no point to the whole "in the future" part of the storyline

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    because otherwise there was no point to the whole "in the future" part of the storyline
    They could have just used the "secret society wants to control the world" scheme instead, there was no need for über-powerful artifacts in order for that to work?

Grudge on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *Very large sigh*

Ps - Search button is fun

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They could have just used the "secret society wants to control the world" scheme instead, there was no need for über-powerful artifacts in order for that to work?
    but then why bother kidnapping Desmond and plugging him into the Remember-o-tron?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    I never found most of the climbing fun. I usually just had to hold up and the "do gymnastics and shit" button.

I think the problem with the climbing is that it's so slow compared to the rest of the action. Running from rooftop to conveniently placed wooden platform to lantern posts or whatever was great because, if you aimed Altair correctly, you could get a hell of an acrobatic run going.

Climbing, on the other hand, was boring because there wasn't any real sense of flow. It was all "grab nub; climb; grab nub; climb; grab window frame; climb; grab wall; climb."

I hope the next one is a bit more logical and dynamic in nature. Walking around as Rambo Monk without anyone really noticing isn't very interesting. I'd love it if they forced you to find various disguises and weapons. How cool would it be to dress like a powerful merchant, only to stab some other wealthy aristocrat in plain view, then parkour your way to freedom? It would also help if there was more than one way to enter a city.

What I'd really like would be a move to kill those annoying obstacles, like beggars, in a discrete way and then prop them up on a bench like they're napping.

And, dammit, no matter who the new assassin is, they better not sound like Generic White Guy #2 From The Midwest again.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is cheating (or at least doesn't count toward the total), but once they notice you and start pointing, grab one and throw him to the ground, then run up and use the hidden blade.

Hidden blade is an insta-kill on anyone who's been knocked to the ground. Even the last boss.

Hidden blade counter is also an insta-kill, and thank god for that, because the "stealth" aspect is thrown right the fuck out in the last part of the game.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The biggest flaw for me, and the reason I don't play it all the time, is the unskippable cutscenes.
    Crap.

Maybe some modder will come out with a way to stab the unskippable cutscenes? STAB STAB!!

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Every time I tried the hidden blade counter I'd get hit four or five times before I could make it work, because the timing was very strict and you can't do any normal blocking with the Hidden Blade.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    but then why bother kidnapping Desmond and plugging him into the Remember-o-tron?
    Hmm, yeah maybe you need some kind of McGuffin. But why an alien artifact, why not the location of a secret hideout, a list of people whose decendants are now working with Desmond's crowd etc etc? I dunno, it just felt a bit unnecessary to me.

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Every time I tried the hidden blade counter I'd get hit four or five times before I could make it work, because the timing was very strict and you can't do any normal blocking with the Hidden Blade.

It's an exercise in frustration, but as soon as you start using Dodge and knowing which attack has the biggest window for counters, enemy encounters become an all-you-can-stab buffet.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, yeah maybe you need some kind of McGuffin. But why an alien artifact, why not the location of a secret hideout, a list of people whose decendants are now working with Desmond's crowd etc etc? I dunno, it just felt a bit unnecessary to me.
    Because aliens are cool, man. That's what the kids are into these days, right?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was a point to the future part of the storyline?

I guess they needed to set things up for a sequel where Mulder & Scully fight the future, but apart from that, it detracted a great deal from the game, IMO.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is cheating (or at least doesn't count toward the total), but once they notice you and start pointing, grab one and throw him to the ground, then run up and use the hidden blade.

Hidden blade is an insta-kill on anyone who's been knocked to the ground. Even the last boss.

Hidden blade counter is also an insta-kill, and thank god for that, because the "stealth" aspect is thrown right the fuck out in the last part of the game.

It was also thrown out at the end of every mission. Was there any way to get an escape route and avoid the guards after you killed a guy?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait, when was it revealed that aliens were behind it? I assumed it was some Indiana Jones-style Ark of the Covenant type things.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It was also thrown out at the end of every mission. Was there any way to get an escape route and avoid the guards after you killed a guy?

no, see, the whole point of the assassinations was to get a hundred or so guards chasing you through the city, because the chases are the fun part of the game.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait, when was it revealed that aliens were behind it? I assumed it was some Indiana Jones-style Ark of the Covenant type things.
    They talked about how precursors or whoever left some artifacts, and that is how they got all the new technology and shit. This does not look like an Indiana Jones Ark of the Covenant thing:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/AssassinsCreed_The_Piece_of_Eden_Map.png

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't think it was revealed exactly who made those artifacts. If I recalled correctly he said that they were "not of this world" or something like that, and since they'd been bashing religion rather soundly throughout most of the game I just presumed that he meant it was made by aliens.

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

no, see, the whole point of the assassinations was to get a hundred or so guards chasing you through the city, because the chases are the fun part of the game.
    They weren't fun. Climb onto a roof and run until you weren't seen then you just had to jump into a conveniently place pile of hay or one of those rooftop thingies that nobody ever seemed to use.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I thought the idea behind an assassination (at least a "public" one) was to have the target suddenly drop dead, and no one know who/what caused it.

Such as in 8/9 of the kills in the "book-burner" mission. Every other one had gone down with a single throwing knife to the head, tossed from a rooftop, and then I do the vanishing act. No problems. No alerts.

But then I do the same to the last guy, throwing knife to the back of the head, get ready to r- wait, what the fuck? He's alive? And suddenly everyone knows exactly where I am and they're alerted? And the guy's fleeing? What the shit?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I thought the idea behind an assassination (at least a "public" one) was to have the target suddenly drop dead, and no one know who/what caused it.
    The point is to have everyone know exactly who caused it. These people go against the Masters wishes, so they must be disposed of in a way that warns others of what happens when you do that. Altair is actually somewhat of a terrorist.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The secret society (Templars) needs the artifacts to control people's thoughts. They want a society where every thinks the same way. They need alien/magic artifacts to do that.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    About the McGuffin/Deus Ex Machina
    What's the damage if it is an alien artifact? It harkens back to the best pulp stories of yore and was done without an obvious shift in the game's overall tone (if you didn't think there was something sinister about your boss from the get go... Then come on).

The sci-fi reminded me of Spriggan, and gave the game that extra level of mystery. It was done well, artful even -- and not in a shlocky Indiana Jones & The Crystal Skull kind of way (LOOK ALIENZ OOO!11).

And in a game where the main plot conceit is a secret order of Templars using a device that re-enacts the genetic memories of an ancient assassin, people are taking issue with the introduction of alien artifact? Really?

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I found the game fantastic, but maybe I didn't get caught in all the hype. I played it a few months ago while everyone was booing and hissing at the game.

I enjoyed the story too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    The point is to have everyone know exactly who caused it. These people go against the Masters wishes, so they must be disposed of in a way that warns others of what happens when you do that. Altair is actually somewhat of a terrorist.

They need to know "who" caused it, in the sense that it was the Assassins as a whole - but not that it was Altair. I just wanted one scenario where I get to sneak up on someone, stab them, and then stealth my way out of at least the immediate area before everyone goes HOLY SHITCOCK THIS GUY'S DEAD and starting to look for a guy in a white robe.

Just carve the Bureau logo into the handle of throwing knife that they find buried in the guy's brain stem.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So guys...

PC or Xbox?

Or PC with an Xbox controller?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PC version adds in a few extra types of informant missions.

PC version has absurd system requirements, but if you have the system for it, whatever.

Xbox version is dirt cheap.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm convinced that they made the most amazing hour and a half of gameplay I have ever experienced. And then decided to laze out on the rest of the work and just copy that over and over until the disc was full.

Oh, and people really need to learn the difference between putting in hooks for a sequel, and outright chopping the story off at the end and leaving it hanging. No, the "It's a trilogy!" explanation is no excuse.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm convinced that they made the most amazing hour and a half of gameplay I have ever experienced. And then decided to laze out on the rest of the work and just copy that over and over until the disc was full.

Oh, and people really need to learn the difference between putting in hooks for a sequel, and outright chopping the story off at the end and leaving it hanging. No, the "It's a trilogy!" explanation is no excuse.

I thought it ended well enough. There was a climatic fight, etc. Altair's story was over. The future chunk was not, but that's the only part that's going to link the games in the series, so it makes sense for that to be left open.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was not a climactic fight. It was a boring fight.

Couscous on