As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man I Hate It When...

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "I could care less"

Cauld on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    • People who walk in the fucking torrential downpour and get pissed at me if I splash them with the puddle from 3 feet out in the road from the other lane. Get inside bitches.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    "I could care less"

As soon as I hear someone say that, they're dead to me.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »
    People who misuse/don't use adverbs ought be required to punch themselves in the face. No, you were not going quick. You were going quickly.

Don't be a grammar nazi if you can't do it right.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    • People who walk in the fucking torrential downpour and get pissed at me if I splash them with the puddle from 3 feet out in the road from the other lane. Get inside bitches.

In college I think I was the only person on campus who owned an umbrella. Everyone would walk to class and get soaked, over and over. I never understood it.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "I could care less"

It really bothers me when people keep repeating it. This happens a lot with athletes being interviewed or anyone who's not so smart talking about how they were wronged in some way.

Cauld on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    People who misuse/don't use adverbs ought be required to punch themselves in the face. No, you were not going quick. You were going quickly.

What are you trying to do here?

LaOs on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

Destroy this pot/kettle thread.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "I could care less"

It really bothers me when people keep repeating it. This happens a lot with athletes being interviewed or anyone who's not so smart talking about how they were wronged in some way.

this makes me twitch. i tried for a long time pointing out that this statement makes no fucking sense when people near me stated it, "don't you mean you COULDN'T care less? that you could care less implies you have some level of caring about the topic at hand." I generally just got weird looks or a mumbled "asshole" as the person walked off. Still rubs me the wrong way when people say it, but i've given up trying to point out why this makes them sound a like fucktard.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah, one of them told me his name was John Wayne in the thickest possible Indian accent I've ever heard.

If I worked at a call center I would say my name was Washington Irving.

Occasionally I'd do Irving Washington, just to shake things up.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There are so many things that piss me off more then people with poor spelling or spelling/grammer nuts.

Elitists and anyone with a huge ego.

People who steal. Seriously, coming home to find I was robbed put me in a murderous rage.

Backstabbers.

Dman on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    People who misuse/don't use adverbs should be required to punch themselves in the face. No, you were not going quick. You were going quickly.

I have a friend that corrects me every time I use an adjective instead of an adverb while speaking (which is often). I want to punch him in the fucking face every time.

"Go to bed. Sleep badly."
    "Bad."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Sleep bad. Otherwise it's like the mechanism which allows you to sleep..."
    "What, fuckhead? Badly's an adverb. Who taught you grammar?!"

Also anyone who tries to up their perceived intelligence by using the word "infer" when they mean "imply."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    People who lick their fingers to search through papers and then hand said papers to me.....

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Umaro wrote: »
    People who misuse/don't use adverbs should be required to punch themselves in the face. No, you were not going quick. You were going quickly.

I have a friend that corrects me every time I use an adjective instead of an adverb while speaking (which is often). I want to punch him in the fucking face every time.

"Go to bed. Sleep badly."
    "Bad."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Sleep bad. Otherwise it's like the mechanism which allows you to sleep..."
    "What, fuckhead? Badly's an adverb. Who taught you grammar?!"

Also anyone who tries to up their perceived intelligence by using the word "infer" when they mean "imply."
    You forgot "concur".

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Don't be a grammar Nazi if you can't do it right.

So replacing words with synonyms corrects grammar now? Also, I'm fairly certain that in standard usage ought is followed by to unless it's being used negatively (i.e. "ought not do that").

P.S. Pot/kettle yourself.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

Destroy this pot/kettle thread.

I'm just curious if you meant to leave out the "to" after editing the giant "ought" or not?
    I'm pretty sure I'm just missing some joke though, so don't sweat it.

[Edit]
    And apparently I've been beat'd.

LaOs on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god yes adverb usage. Working in IT/Computer related fields, your coworkers generally consist of people with a good amount of technical knowledge that don't really care about grammar.

Which means on a daily basis I hear that something is "running slow." No, it's running slowly unless there is a slow.exe and you are just informing me of its status.

That being said, I don't really care about ending sentences in prepositions or (incorrectly) starting sentences with conjunctions, and I sometimes do these two things myself. These things don't actually sound bad to me in the way that adverb misuse does.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Oh god yes adverb usage. Working in IT/Computer related fields, your coworkers generally consist of people with a good amount of technical knowledge that don't really care about grammar.

Which means on a daily basis I hear that something is "running slow." No, it's running slowly unless there is a slow.exe and you are just informing me of its status.

That being said, I don't really care about ending sentences in prepositions or (incorrectly) starting sentences with conjunctions, and I sometimes do these two things myself. These things don't actually sound bad to me in the way that adverb misuse does.

I'll start a sentence with a conjunction if I want to emphasize it. Finding Forrester told me it was ok!

Cauld on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate it when you're getting a haircut and the barber keeps trying to talk to you. So annoying.

An-D on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "I could care less"

this makes me twitch. i tried for a long time pointing out that this statement makes no fucking sense when people near me stated it, "don't you mean you COULDN'T care less? that you could care less implies you have some level of caring about the topic at hand." I generally just got weird looks or a mumbled "asshole" as the person walked off. Still rubs me the wrong way when people say it, but i've given up trying to point out why this makes them sound a like fucktard.

I have actually used "I could care less" before, but only because I mean it that way. If I want to use "I couldn't care less", I'll use it. Perhaps I'm just being a smart arse when I use it.

Admittedly, I tend to clarify it by going with "I could care less, but not all that much less."

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The preposition ending a sentence rule has been abolish, I think. If you actually try to abide by it you end up with some really clunky sounding sentences.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The preposition ending a sentence rule has been abolished, I think. If you actually try to abide by it, you end up with some really clunky sounding sentences.

As in a hanging preposition? It's fine if you're saying something like "So he's the one whom you were referring to." It sounds a bit better than "So he's the one to whom you were referring."

Also, :P

Cyvros on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "I could care less"

I could care less about being dead to you.

You see, idioms don't have to make perfect sense when you take apart the individual words.

Everybody knows what "I could care less" means. It actually means, "I don't' care." People who go "don't you mean you couldn't care less" get added to the dick list.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    "I could care less"

I could care less about being dead to you.

You see, idioms don't have to make perfect sense when you take apart the individual words.

Everybody knows what "I could care less" means. It actually means, "I don't' care." People who go "don't you mean you couldn't care less" get added to the dick list.

If it actually made sense to go that way, I wouldn't care. It's born more out of ignorance, and people not understanding the intention of the phrase, that they have it wrong. I know what somebody means when they say, "Let me ax you a question". Doesn't mean I don't think they're an idiot. It's all how you present yourself.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In general, I find people who get all pissy about linguistic foibles vastly more irritating than the linguistic foibles.

Elendil on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    In general, I find people who get all pissy about linguistic foibles vastly more irritating than the linguistic foibles.

This

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If it actually made sense to go that way, I wouldn't care. It's born more out of ignorance, and people not understanding the intention of the phrase, that they have it wrong. I know what somebody means when they say, "Let me ax you a question". Doesn't mean I don't think they're an idiot. It's all how you present yourself.

The intention of the phrase is what I said above, "I don't care"

Guess what, language, despite all the patterns that exist that some people try to pass off as rules, is really just a bunch of people making noises at each other and hoping they understand, if the other person understands, then they've succeeded.

Pata on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Guess what, language, despite all the patterns that exist that some people try to pass off as rules, is really just a bunch of people making noises at each other and hoping they understand, if the other person understands, then they've succeeded.

wich iz y u prolly dont caer if i type liek this

i mean u no wut im saying rite?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What are you typing.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What are you typing.
    Would you like the TranslatorBot(tm)? I have the TranslatorBot(tm) with me right here. I can use it if you like. Should I?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To: All

"Noone" is not a word. Fuck's sake, people.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gtrmp wrote: »

Shush, noone cares. AH ha ha haaaa.

While people were talking about Indian tech support, I used to work for Dell in Dublin for tech support. By the time I left, there were call centres in Glasgow and Bangalore, each for different system types. When people got through to us or Glasgow by accident, they often begged to not have to talk to India, because it was absolutely enraging. The problem was that the Indian workers were running off loads of scripts and just were not listening half the time or could not understand subtleties.

A good example was the time I went on the line to transfer a caller and it took me 15 minutes of speaking to do it. I explained that was Dell staff and trying to transfer the user to the right call centre until I was blue in the face. Oh wait, that happened a lot. Enough that you could describe it as a "shitload".

Or we have the time where a customer wanted a biger screen after realising he ordered a smaller monitor than he needed. The guy got through to me after a month, by accident, and it turned out that sales support and customer support did not understand that there was nothing wrong with the monitor, the customer just wanted a bigger monitor with a higher possible resolution. Once the word resolution was brought up, everybody talking to this guy immediately told the customer that it was a fault and that he should be talking to tech support. Al he wanted to do was give us more money.

In short, I hate it when companies outsource call centres to countries that do not have english as a first language. Seriously, the Indian folks had far more qualifications in computing and far more understanding of a systems inner works than us in Dublin, but could not apply it due to language issues,.

People calling have a shitty time, and I'm sure the Indian guys were not having a great time with this either
    BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's half past noone.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

The preposition ending a sentence rule has been abolished, I think. If you actually try to abide by it, you end up with some really clunky sounding sentences.

As in a hanging preposition? It's fine if you're saying something like "So he's the one whom you were referring to." It sounds a bit better than "So he's the one to whom you were referring."

Also, :P

If you're going to go the whom route, I've always found it easier, at least in speaking, to put the preposition directly in front of it. Everyone knows, or should know, that you use whom when it is the target of a prepositional phrase, but people have issues deciphering it if the preposition is after the whom.

I should probably pay more attention to proof-reading my own posts. Especially between a meal and watching some Band of Brothers.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »

*snip*
    People calling have a shitty time, and I'm sure the Indian guys were not having a great time with this either
    BOOOOOOOOOOO!

That said, the deleted scene from "The 40 Year Old Virgin" where he calls the Indian customer service guy for the penis pills about having a 4-hour erection is hilarious.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Your stoopid. Did you understand my intention of that phrase?

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    People who invoke "Godwin's Law" is if it's a real fucking law, expect it to be "honored" as if it's a valid retort, and when it's invoked at even the most ridiculously direct mention of Nazism, such as:

Dude 1: "Who was Chancellor of Germany in 1942?"

Dude 2: "Adolf Hitler."

Fagbag X: "ZOMGBNBWEH*WE GODWIN OLOWL"

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate it when women: make catcalls, wolf whistle, honk the horn of their car as they drive by to get my attention.

Yes, this is EXACTLY what feminism has been fighting for for the last century. Your right to act like the same assholes you bitch and moan about night and day.

Sliver on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stop dressing like a whore if you don't like the attention.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It really bothers me when a lot of people are walking through doors and someone just walks through and doesn't do the standard hold-open-door-until-next-person-can-hold-it thing.

Cauld on
This discussion has been closed.