As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Okami gets Greatest Hits treatment: You now have NO excuse. [NSF56K]

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    With all the complaining about how poorly Okami sold, I expected the sales figures to be bad. A quarter of a million copies sold of the PS2 version in the US is pretty good for a very Asian Action/RPG in a new franchise.

It's a good amount, but to become officially part of the Greatest Hits lineup, it has to sell 400,000 copies (some other stipulations as well.... 6 months since release I think is one of them).

It's sad that Okami didn't get more notice from people. I was a manager at Gamestop when it released, and I can't tell you how many people refused to buy it after they asked for Zelda on PS2.

Literally, "do you have that new Zelda game for PS2?"
    "No, Zelda only comes out for Nintendo systems. But, you should check this game out... it's extremely similar to Zelda, and it is a lot of fun. Definitely buy it."
    "Hrm... no, I think I'll get Fitty Cent instead."
    :x

I got such strange looks when I brought my copy of Okami back, I had pre-ordered it and was all sorts of hyped up for it.

When I brought it back three days later, the employee was like "...You beat it already? Is it really short?"

I was like "No, I just really didn't like it. Was no fun whatsoever."

"................What?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FACT: there isn't enough McNinja love.
    And now I feel like crap for not finishing Okami... A MASSIVE adventure you say...? Once I finish DMC4 it's time to dust off the ol' Wii...

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And now I feel like crap for not finishing Okami... A MASSIVE adventure you say...? Once I finish DMC4 it's time to dust off the ol' Wii...

It was about 3 times longer than I expected.

First, the story feels like it's wrapping up. Much later, I was thinking, "Okay, there's no way this game is going to last much longer."

It did. And it was full of good stuff all the way.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I love both McNinja and Okami. <3

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding game length: It's pretty telling that the soundtrack for Okami is 4 cds in length.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Even if a game is of the utmost quality, it doesn't mean you'll like it. Some people hate Metal Gear Solid. I can't get into Gran Turismo for the life of me. And I keep trying! But I just don't like it.

And yeah, Okami is huge. Even when you've beaten the game like 3 times and go back to it knowing all the tricks, it'll take around 30 hours to beat.

Shit... just writing and thinking about this damn game is like... hyping me up for it!

Well, now I know what I'm playin' once I beat New Translation.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

First, the story feels like it's wrapping up. Much later, I was thinking, "Okay, there's no way this game is going to last much longer."

Another way it touches on Zelda-ness (Link to the Past). When you finally get the Master Sword and head to the castle to face Ganon... I still remember the commercial. "And just when you think your adventure is over, you find it's only just begun."

So much good stuff. I wanna' dive back in just so I can get to the part where you use the Mallet and run through the garden while servants sweep...

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have to admit, the amazingly well-done OP makes me want to give the game a second chance. I was going to trade in Soul Calibur IV tomorrow, and I happen to have a Wii...hmm...

But the "second time around" has only worked a few precious times. I believe the last time was with Metroid Prime on GameCube. I don't know what the hell it was, but I absolutely hated it. Played my roommate's copy on my Wii (to try out the GameCube back-compatibility) and ended up playing through the whole damn thing and loving it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »

Another way it touches on Zelda-ness (Link to the Past). When you finally get the Master Sword and head to the castle to face Ganon... I still remember the commercial. "And just when you think your adventure is over, you find it's only just begun."

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9aLV7lMJY

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rent it, beat it, then reconsider a purchase.

Chance on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What if I didn't like it? That's a good excuse. Good game, but the lack of any challenge ruined it for me. Got bored.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rent it, beat it, then reconsider a purchase.

Eh, I would, but

1) I don't rent. So...well, actually, I guess I wouldn't, and

2) This spot of the year is pretty much a blank slate until the year-end rush of Mirror's Edge, Spider-Man: WOS, possibly SFIV, etc. I need something to fill in my time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding game length: It's pretty telling that the soundtrack for Okami is 4 cds in length.

Actually it's 5, but the first half of the last CD is sound effects from when you do things like find a stray bead. However it does have the music that they used for the promo videos at E3 and such which is really cool.

Also I personally feel that Okami is actually a trilogy all included in one package. That's why it's so long. I could've easily seen Capcom milking the trilogy by making it 3 games at 10 hours each but Clover had a thing against sequels I think.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gilder wrote: »

Actually it's 5, but the first half of the last CD is sound effects from when you do things like find a stray bead. However it does have the music that they used for the promo videos at E3 and such which is really cool.

Also I personally feel that Okami is actually a trilogy all included in one package. That's why it's so long. I could've easily seen Capcom milking the trilogy by making it 3 games at 10 hours each but Clover had a thing against sequels I think.

If they had a thing against sequels then what was with the totally set up for a sequel ending?

Edit: And didn't they do Viewtiful Joe 2?

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Game length is a consolation prize for when the game quality is total shit. Hey, you will tell yourself, at least I am getting 45 hours of mediocrity for my gaming dollars!

I'd much rather save 40 god damned hours of my life and spend the exact same fucking money on a 5 hour masterpiece of interactive entertainment. Ok, sure, not a lot of games are 5 hours and totally fucking awesome. But a game can be a lot shorter when its fucking awesome, and Okami is a good deal longer than 5 hours.

Now, I've hesitated on buying the Wii version because I have the PS2 version. Is this sufficient for a rebuy?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    1) No, not that commercial. My eyes cannot un-see that.

2) Buy it. Not just for all the folks who want to see a sequel.

Buy it because Issun the Wandering Artist who is often mistaken for a bug and has a penchant for hiding himself in the cleavage of tree sprites relies on you to discover the lost brush techniques of the celestial gods, and your search will lead you through ancient Japan on an epic quest of friendship, beauty, nature, busty babes (see: beauty and nature), mer-folk, cursed emperors (and cursed cities), femme fatales, foxes with too many tails, demons, dog-folk, canine warriors (who are not dog-folk), sparrow princesses, bamboo granddaughters, magical rice wine, mad sea dragons, cat-themed skyscrapers, posessed swords, demonic clockwork owls, legendary warriors, beautiful maidens, something called the Ark of Heaven and an unfathomable evil that can only be fought with the shining, divine light of the Sun God Amaterasu, and the faith she inspires in those whose lives she's touched.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Game length is a consolation prize for when the game quality is total shit. Hey, you will tell yourself, at least I am getting 45 hours of mediocrity for my gaming dollars!

I'd much rather save 40 god damned hours of my life and spend the exact same fucking money on a 5 hour masterpiece of interactive entertainment. Ok, sure, not a lot of games are 5 hours and totally fucking awesome. But a game can be a lot shorter when its fucking awesome, and Okami is a good deal longer than 5 hours.

Now, I've hesitated on buying the Wii version because I have the PS2 version. Is this sufficient for a rebuy?

In terms of gameplay, word is the PS2 version is superior. Waggle can be touchy in Okami.

Wii does give you 480p and widescreen though.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If they had a thing against sequels then what was with the totally set up for a sequel ending?

Edit: And didn't they do Viewtiful Joe 2?

Viewtiful Joe is the only series they started that got sequels but pretty much everyone said after VJ2 came out that it was inferior to VJ1 and then for some reason RHH came out and I don't really remember hearing anybody saying they liked it. I think Clover took these responses to heart and just decided to tease us with the hopes of a sequel in their next games and then never deliver.

Gilder on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Rented this one time. God, do I love it.

Too bad this is still going for $70 here in AUS. :(

Disgaea and Odin Sphere is also getting the greatest hits treatment by the way. Too bad it's NA only though.

Whoa what?

Disgaea 1? Really?

http://kotaku.com/5035033/odin-sphere-disgaea-to-go-greatest-hits

Goddamnit though, they better bring it to AUS.
    Yeah they really should. I got Odin Sphere and Disgaea purely by chance and both times were the only times I've ever seen them in this country, Disgaea 2 and Lucifer's Call (SMT Nocturne) as well. Same thing happened with Soul Nomad last week, I spotted it while browsing through the local EB and almost let out an audible "OH FUCK!" as I snatched it from the shelf.

Although curiously there seems to be a whole lot of copies of Grim Grimoire lying around.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Disgaea and Odin Sphere is also getting the greatest hits treatment by the way. Too bad it's NA only though.

Whoa what?

Disgaea 1? Really?

Yeah they really should. I got Odin Sphere and Disgaea purely by chance and both times were the only times I've ever seen them in this country, Disgaea 2 and Lucifer's Call (SMT Nocturne) as well. Same thing happened with Soul Nomad last week, I spotted it while browsing through the local EB and almost let out an audible "OH FUCK!" as I snatched it from the shelf.

Although curiously there seems to be a whole lot of copies of Grim Grimoire lying around.

Around my area Odin Sphere is about as common as Grim Grimoire. Though admittedly that's because the JB Hifi at my area is the only store that has them in stock.

I was wondering about Grim Grimoire though. Any good?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Whoa what?

Disgaea 1? Really?

That's because GrimGrimmoire wasn't very good. lolol cheap shot.

There's one thing I disagree the OP about, though: I don't like Issun. He's essentially an unskippable tutorial that lasts the whole game. He spoils puzzles. He can die in a fire for all I care.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

In terms of gameplay, word is the PS2 version is superior. Waggle can be touchy in Okami.

A terribly wasted opportunity. Why the hell Ready at Dawn decided to not use the pointer in a simple way and decided the odd "hold the remote perfectly in line" mechanic stills confuses me, the remote is so damn obvious to implement, I don't know what the hell is going on with third parties. Yes Tecmo, I'm looking at you and your bizzare control choices for Fatal Frame 4 as well, it feels like they actually want to sabotage any attempt at developing traditional games for the console.

Still, I don't see how drawing figures like bombs is anything but a pain in the ass using joysticks. And the combos have worked really well for me, using sacred beads is just awesome with the remote, the whip-like movement fits so well with it.

I'm still going through the game and I think I haven't even reached half of it, and I love that its long and full of quests. Its incredible people actually complain about something like this.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

He's a tiny, horny little man with a bug's shell for a hat and a sword with a brush at the end of the haft. And he bounces.

But your complaints are valid. I <3 him.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Whoa what?

Disgaea 1? Really?

Around my area Odin Sphere is about as common as Grim Grimoire. Though admittedly that's because the JB Hifi at my area is the only store that has them in stock.

I was wondering about Grim Grimoire though. Any good?

I didn't like Grim Grimmoire. I played a bunch of it and it's just... incredibly repetitive. I got bored and quit after awhile. The dialogue is laughable too, so that kind of hurt the otherwise interesting story for me.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A friend just informed me that on the Wii version you can apparently skip a lot of the annoying text? (Annoying because of the accompanying...noise) Is this true? If so, Wii version is automatically better.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

He's a tiny, horny little man with a bug's shell for a hat and a sword with a brush at the end of the haft. And he bounces.

I like his design with the little brush and stuff, but that kind of "lololol she has big boobs!1111" humor doesn't really work for me.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

I like his design with the little brush and stuff, but that kind of "lololol she has big boobs!1111" humor doesn't really work for me.

But that's the whole oint of his design though, to be an immature dickwad.

Whom I love too. <3

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

No, it really isn't. Controls are pretty wonky. It looks nice, but I consider the PS2 version to be the superior of the two solely based on the controls during combat.

Also, nothing new. New content or refined gameplay is a huge factor for me when it comes to repurchasing a game I already own (see: my three copies of RE4), and there simply isn't anything added in either of those aspects that would have me buying the game a second time.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A friend just informed me that on the Wii version you can apparently skip a lot of the annoying text? (Annoying because of the accompanying...noise) Is this true? If so, Wii version is automatically better.

Most of the dialog can be bypassed quickly by pressing A like in OoT, so you don't have to read at the speed of a 5 year old. With certain cutscenes this can't be done, but my guess is that those are important. Still, all cutscenes can be completely skipped by pressing +, but you would be missing Issun's lovely speeches and who wants that?
    Pretty much any sane person.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

Oh hell yes, he's totally childish and immature and more than a few of his laughs are directly related to his reaction to the games' women - perhaps the reason I don't mind it at all is because his penchant for T&A would never make it into a Zelda title. The horndoggery is refreshing, almost.

Really, there's hundreds of video games with rediculously proportioned women, and Okami's the only one I can think of where a character actually reacts to it.

But, again, your point is totally valid. And at least we can agree that his design is awesome. I love it when he rips out his little brush/sword and there's the arcing flash of silver - angry little mini-dude gonna' cut 'chu, mang!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

I thought I was alone in my hatred for "OHMYGODBOOBS" jokes and characters. Everytime I had to talk to Rao I rolled my eyes because Issun had to make some stupid joke about helping her and her two friends. Haha. It was so funny the first time, it shall certainly continue to be funny.

It got weird though whenever Amaterasu would stare at that stuff. Mostly because it's a wolf and he shouldn't be into humans anyway and also because Amaterasu is supposed to be a female goddess and I doubt that in the old mythology she's into women. I could be wrong. Still, don't like my wolves looking at cleavage.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great to see that the game is getting another chance, it really deserves it.

Of course, I've already done my part for the cause by buying it on the Wii (In case you're wondering, I've just gotten to Oni Island), and since I don't have a console that plays PS2 games, I'm not gonna buy it again.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Played this game, didn't even make it to "This isn't the last boss! Tricked!"

Combat got really old, really fast. Same with the rest of the gameplay. Probably due to how much I had to read in between. Game is totally fucking gorgeous, though. Easily one of my favorite games visually, which is funny; buying Okami was my biggest gaming "burn."

Is there really a chance for a decent sequel if the studio who made it got shut down? Sorry, I don't know much about the gaming business. Might not even have a clue what I'm talkin' about.
    Chance wrote:
    Okami is the opposite of God Hand in all things except a general stamp of 'quality'.

Okami, a walk in the park.
    God Hand, hard-as-fuck.

Okami, pretty as a picture.
    God Hand, ugly as sin.

Okami, wonderful story.
    God Hand, punch those guys. Now spank that girl.

I agree with this, actually. I will extend it this far

God Hand, really fun.
    Okami, _______.

I didn't like Twilight Princess either, though... Maybe I'm growing out of that genre.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheesechick:

I thought I was alone in my hatred for "OHMYGODBOOBS" jokes and characters. Everytime I had to talk to Rao I rolled my eyes because Issun had to make some stupid joke about helping her and her two friends. Haha. It was so funny the first time, it shall certainly continue to be funny.

<3<3<3 We should be friends.
    Played this game, didn't even make it to "This isn't the last boss! Tricked!"

Combat got really old, really fast. Same with the rest of the gameplay. Probably due to how much I had to read in between. Game is totally fucking gorgeous, though. Easily one of my favorite games visually, which is funny; buying Okami was my biggest gaming "burn."

I wasn't too enthralled with the combat either. I didn't really dislike it, but I don't think the game would have suffered if, say, the only combat was the boss battles. Which were omgawesome. I liked that you could pretty much skip most of the combat in the game... which is what I ended up doing.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the first 4-5 hours were awesome, but then the originality of it wears down a bit and the substance is just too thin. I made it about 10-12 hours before I got bored of it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the first 4-5 hours were awesome, but then the originality of it wears down a bit and the substance is just too thin. I made it about 10-12 hours before I got bored of it.

I also made about 13 hours before finding it too tedious to continue.

This makes me feel like a bad person.

Tig on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is a fair candidate for best game on the PS2. Not necessarily a shoe-in, but it's up there.

Everyone should at least give it a try.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tig wrote: »

I also made about 13 hours before finding it too tedious to continue.

This makes me feel like a bad person.

I don't really understand how Okami has any less "substance" than the average Zelda title. It's essentially the same formula but with some platforming added in, and items/equipment replaced by the celestial brush.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    With all the complaining about how poorly Okami sold, I expected the sales figures to be bad. A quarter of a million copies sold of the PS2 version in the US is pretty good for a very Asian Action/RPG in a new franchise.

It's a good amount, but to become officially part of the Greatest Hits lineup, it has to sell 400,000 copies (some other stipulations as well.... 6 months since release I think is one of them).
    I can't believe Odin Sphere sold over 400,000 copies. That sort of restores my faith in humanity somewhat.

Arceus on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still have the excuse of not having a PS2 or Wii

I made it all of last generation without buying a PS2 and I'm not going to start now

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.