As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: Free Expansion. See OP!

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Almost forgot this thread was mine... So! A while back Midway was all "Yo dawgs, UT is great but we're not so sure..." and Mike Rein of Epic was all, "Man what? Oh uh, we're just about to announce a new free expansion of the game... people will come back to play it and buy it!"

And thus, came birth to the TITAN EXPANSION. Its a huge free mod & Patch. The patch brings the game up to v2.0 and the expansion features 2 new characters, shit tons of new maps across all game types, and two very addicting game types along with a new mutator.

Check out these videos. Salivate. Reach for your installation discs, (Almost wrote dicks), and enjoy! 8-)

Download Links.

V2.0 Patch.

Mother Fuckin Titan Pack!

And videos explaining all of the awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1xYqMF1No&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxrpyOBe8zU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ESHdLsv4Q&feature=related

ENJOY!

Unreal-Tournament-3-Server_1.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36599.html

One of the most addicting, fast, and unique PC games ever is finally on all 3 platforms... and yet nobody has mentioned a real peep about it! The trailer above is for the new Xbox360 version which was delayed and to make up for it, Epic has included a few new exclusive maps and character models, but the game really shines on the PC and PS3 where player mods can be made and shared and used on actual online matches. There are quite a number of unique and great mods out there, from character models to whole maps. Some of them are actually really well done like the Sister of Battle character model below.

SisterStinger.jpg

So while it isn't as deep as other shooters, where they may feature a really in depth single player, the main reason to get the game is the better reason to get it; the fuck awesome multiplayer which actually is verrrry smooth on a decent connection. Besides virtually no server lag on any decent server, there is also the fact that the game can be scaled way back to run extremely well on most gamer PCs. I was getting 60fps in game with my 7600GT and while it did not look like the screenshots, I could hardly give a damn and could not help but love the experience.

So yeah, would you guys like to talk about it or maybe try and get together a gaming night? Previous attempts have failed but if we can arrange a friday night frag fest every week, well then I think we can have some real fun.

Btw, the PC version right now is only $20! I highly recommend it, especially with the mods; it really is worth your money.
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42770

Lucky Cynic on

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Isn't this that one game by the makers of Gears of War?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Isn't this that one game by the makers of Gears of War?

I cringed so hard when I saw that in the trailers. It really reflects Epic's mindset I think. It's a shame too. If they added another play type or two, a few more characters and some more maps, then UT3 would undoubtedly be one of the finest FPSes period. Now a days, you have to debate that point to convince people.

Still... it is incredibly fun.

Lucky Cynic on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm always down to play. It's sad how small of a reception this game got. It may not be quite as good as 2k4 but it's still a lot of fun.

Urian on
    edited August 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm always down to play. It's sad how small of a reception this game got. It may not be quite as good as 2k4 but it's still a lot of fun.

People always say that, but I think it's because 2k4 has had so many years of player created content and additional patches... So in my mind it is kind of hard to compare the two. Especially considering that UT3 is also on all three platforms. Btw, cross platform does not work with UT3 in case any of you guys were wondering.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I own this on 360 and for the PC and while it's not installed on my PC right now I can do that sometime soon if you'd like. Otherwise just add my gamertag (Darmak X99) and hit me up sometime to play on XBL and I'm down. I love that I can play split-screen with my friends, not enough games do this I think. Also, I think it kinda sucks that user-created content won't be available on the 360, I know Microsoft is concerned with people exploiting stuff and quality control and wanting to try and make money off of everything but I still think it would be nice to get mods and more importantly maps to give this some longevity.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game got a hell of a lot less attention than it deserved, really. I got it a couple of days after release and while it's true the UI is abysmal, other than that the game is goddam great and just seemed to have suffered from bad timing. Definetly one of the best LAN games out there too.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I picked UT3 up for PC over the winter and it's definitely great. The last UT game I had played before it was UT99, so I can't comment on 2k3 or 2k4 or whatever came out between them. UT3's definitely a healthy dose of crazy frantic fragging though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm just waiting for the Mac release.

Hopefully along with Gears of War.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'll almost certainly buy this when i see it cheap on the ps3

i've always been a big fan of the unreal tournament games. something about the relentless speed, the flak cannons and deck 16

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited August 2008
    This is kinda the problem whenever I try and organize some games. Everyone is all on different platforms. That's okay though. If just a few more people show interest, I'll turn this into a game on thread and we will get things rolling.

Btw, the PS3 version is $40.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bought a couple months ago. Simply didn't like it as much as 2k4, unfortunately. The lack of true assault is a gaping hole in the game's featurelist.

Dehumanized on
    edited August 2008
    Bought a couple months ago. Simply didn't like it as much as 2k4, unfortunately. The lack of true assault is a gaping hole in the game's featurelist.

Strange. Most people like warfare.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    I see what they tried to do with it, but it just didn't feel right to me. Onslaught and Assault being seperate entities worked better for me. There's just no way to implement a proper attack/defend setup in a warfare map.

Dehumanized on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was "Assault" that whole destroy the enemy core thing? Cuz that game kicked fucking ass.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was tempted to pick this up since I had loved UT so much. I enjoyed the few LAN games of UT2k4 I'd participated in as well. But then I never saw a game on from PA about UT3 so I wasn't sure if I wanted to play random games online. (I mean, who plays UT for the single player anyways?)

I think maybe I'm just a bit biased in that I usually like to play the game-on's here if i can and if I don't see one, I kind of take it as a sign that the community didn't receive it well for whatever reasons.
    Was "Assault" that whole destroy the enemy core thing? Cuz that game kicked fucking ass.

yes, that was the "missioN' based on. Where one team would try and destroy/sit at an enemy area for a certain amount of time. Then once their turn ended, teams swapped and tried to beat the previous time.

Arminas on
    edited August 2008
    I see what they tried to do with it, but it just didn't feel right to me. Onslaught and Assault being seperate entities worked better for me. There's just no way to implement a proper attack/defend setup in a warfare map.

What are you talking about? That's exactly what it is like now except they don't just say "Red team on offense!" There's been plenty of action similiar to 2k4 imo. It's just that people don't like the orbs which is a shame because they actually work out really nicely since unlike in 2k4, they help break any potential stand offs that slow the capture and working of nodes.

And yeah, they still have the cores blowing up part of the game in warfare. In fact, they have expanded on it quite a bit.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    If you can show me a recreation of something like AS-Junkyard done in UT3 warfare, then I'll concede that warfare is a good replacement. Unfortunately, it's simply not possible to do with the tools provided by Epic within the mode.

Dehumanized on
    edited August 2008
    If you can show me a recreation of something like AS-Junkyard done in UT3 warfare, then I'll concede that warfare is a good replacement. Unfortunately, it's simply not possible to do with the tools provided by Epic within the mode.

I've seen people make their own game types with the mod tools, actually.

Lucky Cynic on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

yes, that was the "missioN' based on. Where one team would try and destroy/sit at an enemy area for a certain amount of time. Then once their turn ended, teams swapped and tried to beat the previous time.

Oh, I didn't like that mode. I guess I'm thinking of something else. Onslaught, I think.

Is Onslaught in UT3?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited August 2008

Oh, I didn't like that mode. I guess I'm thinking of something else. Onslaught, I think.

Is Onslaught in UT3?

Heh, I could be wrong. :D

here we are: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=308901 (descriptions of UT2k4's assault and onslaught)

Assault --> historical objective based maps
    Onslaught --> vehicular battles blowing up cores and making it your own

Arminas on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love this game. Too bad I suck at anything remotely resembling multiplayer.

Adhesive to plastic on
    edited August 2008

Beating the singleplayer campaign can be frustrating, but it does teach you the ropes well.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Beating the singleplayer campaign can be frustrating, but it does teach you the ropes well.

I barely scratched through it on normal. :P

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I started a thread back when the 360 version came out, and it quickly faded away, just like any interest for this game.
    It's a shame, it's good fun, and anyone who says it's too much like 2k4 hasn't tried out the vehicles.
    Hoverboard is soooooooo rad.

Local H Jay on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been playing this game with friends for the last two months. It's been a complete blast and has been the only game that has managed to pull us away from RSV 2. It is a shame there isn't any interest in a game this well made.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Urian wrote: »

People always say that, but I think it's because 2k4 has had so many years of player created content and additional patches... So in my mind it is kind of hard to compare the two. Especially considering that UT3 is also on all three platforms. Btw, cross platform does not work with UT3 in case any of you guys were wondering.
    I don't know, I picked up 2k4 the day it came out. Still have the tin box under my desk, and honestly UT3 just doesn't feel as finished and refined as 2k4 did. I have a feeling it's going to be a cycle like with 2k3 and 2k4. 2k3 was alright and laid the groundwork, but 2k4 took that groundwork and ran with it blowing it the fuck out of the water making just a brilliantly awesome game overloaded with features.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited August 2008
    Is there another edition planned after UT3? I mean, within the year? i had heard that Epic was already working on the next unreal engine and all. Or is that just the next one?

I'm so tempted. It's...readily available on steam! But I want it for 20 or less :(

Arminas on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have this for PC any will hopefully install it soon, currently I don't have my cds for it though, just the cd key ad I lent it to my bro whose a 12 hour flight away. It is being mailed to me currently though, I should see it some time next week.

I bought this game on day one to, I own all the other UT's, UT99 still stands as my favorite though. Although UT2k4 is an amazing game in itself

Dixon on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm considering buying the Unreal pack on Steam, which includes this as well as UT2K4 (which I've lost my cd-key for), but it would mark the second time I bought Unreal II: The Suckening.

Daedalus on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    UT3 is now $20 universally, and the Unreal Anthology is only $10. Save you $15.

Mustachio Jones on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, I've had this game for months now (bought it close to launch), but I never actually took the damned thing online or did really anything with it. If we're going to Game On, I'd be coaxed to install and play a few rounds.

Zxerol on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    stores here don't drop their prices really

its still 60ish euros, i mean i like the idea of an arcadyish shooter but i mean maaan i dunno

Canada_jezus on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Didnt this game get bashed like every strip since release by Tycho when it came out for PS3? I thought it sucked?

Roxtar on
    edited August 2008

whaaa, really? My steam store says otherwise. :-\

UT3 on its own is 29.99
    Unreal Deal pack (unreal 2, unreal gold, ut2k4, ut3, ut goty) is going for 44.99

oh wait, maybe you meant in stores like EB games or something...

Arminas on
    edited August 2008
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Didnt this game get bashed like every strip since release by Tycho when it came out for PS3? I thought it sucked?

The strip made fun of the lame dialog and body proportions. I highly doubt Tycho meant to say that it sucked. Maybe not lived up to expectations, but it certainly is not a dud.

There is a demo out there if you guys want to try it out, it really is worth installing to check out.

Lucky Cynic on
  • pineconeboypineconeboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I have played all the Unreal Tournament series games obsessively at one time or another, including UT3, and placed in a few different LAN 1v1 tournaments. The aspect that I love most about the series is, I suspect, the same thing that now turns most newer players off of it - the extremely hardcore "oldschool" style of shooter gameplay. With UT3's unique movement system, its plethora of complex weapons, maps, and powerups, and the general level of skill you run into online it is a very unforgiving game for a new player to try and pick up. The learning curve is practically vertical and if you're new to shooters you could probably expect to spend several months of daily practice before winning even a pub free-for-all match.

In terms of the base gameplay - especially movement and weapon balance - I think UT3 is the the best in the series. Many people who have been into UT since before the 2k* games will echo this sentiment. However, it also had the buggiest release of any UT series game and has received very little support from the developers. They have made a few patches for it but it has taken forever to fix even a few of the minor problems, let alone the biggest ones (like the piss-poor UI and the lack of demo recording, which apparently will never be implemented).

Due to Epic's virtual abandonment of UT3 I've mostly given up on it, which is pretty tragic considering it's probably the most challenging and fun multiplayer game I've ever played. TF2 does a pretty decent job of filling the void though, and it's always fun to fire it up again for a few rounds of classic CTF at a LAN. For the moment, though, the community is slowly dying and shows no signs of recovering so it may be time to shelve my shock rifle. The only thing that might conceivably save it imho is if Epic adds a bunch of stuff, fixes a bunch of stuff, and re-releases it next year a la UT2k3 > UT2k4.

I'm talking about the PC version btw.

pineconeboy on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The strip made fun of the lame dialog and body proportions. I highly doubt Tycho meant to say that it sucked. Maybe not lived up to expectations, but it certainly is not a dud.

There is a demo out there if you guys want to try it out, it really is worth installing to check out.

Mmmm k... I just could have been positive that when it was released for PS3/PC it was getting bashed left and right not only by Gabe but on these forums... Something about it being too slow, not being true to UT, too Jaggy, game lag, etc etc. I actually was going to pick it up on release but it got hammered with so much bad press I passed. Then CoD4 came out, and my shooter requirement was met *shrug*

Roxtar on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

whaaa, really? My steam store says otherwise. :-\

UT3 on its own is 29.99
    Unreal Deal pack (unreal 2, unreal gold, ut2k4, ut3, ut goty) is going for 44.99

oh wait, maybe you meant in stores like EB games or something...

Yes, in stores, my bad.

Anyway, I'm down for a Game On or whathaveyou. I'm already playing it a lot online so I figure playing it with people that I can kill/get killed by and talk about it after the fact is good in my book. If there's some fashion of friend's list in the god awful server browser, Mustachiojones is my handle.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited August 2008

Mmmm k... I just could have been positive that when it was released for PS3/PC it was getting bashed left and right not only by Gabe but on these forums... Something about it being too slow, not being true to UT, too Jaggy, game lag, etc etc. I actually was going to pick it up on release but it got hammered with so much bad press I passed. Then CoD4 came out, and my shooter requirement was met *shrug*

First I must say I have no idea what 'true to UT' means. True to old school UT from nearly 10 years ago, or 2k4. It's different but it still is very much UT. One of the high points of the game is actually how manageable the lag is. Servers can manage 32 or 64 players without being super computers or without needing super connections. Plus, the Epic team has worked the UT3 engine so damn well on the PC that it really can be scaled back on craptacular hardware and still get a very playable result.

As for how slow it is, I'm not so sure about that either. The PS3 version is a bit slower than the PC, but not by much. If you haven't played UT before and picked it up for the PS3, you will find it still being the fastest FPS you've ever played.

Lucky Cynic on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Back in January, i met a gorgeous Indian 20something woman on the bus and she said that this was her favorite game. I forgot to get her number :(

I would play this just to find her again.

RoyceSraphim on