As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL Thread - Favreth Down, Favre Yards to go.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    All the niners need is a QB, I think. Alex Smith isn't the guy they need.

can you name any of thier receivers?

thier o-line isnt very good either

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    All the niners need is a QB, I think. Alex Smith isn't the guy they need.

can you name any of thier receivers?

thier o-line isnt very good either

seriously, when their best receivers are their tight end and running back, i think you need more than a halfway decent, erratic qb

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well if I re-call correctly didn't Atlanta get to the NFC championship with a TE (Crumpler) and a running back (Dunn) in 04?

The Chargers (LT, Gates) in 2005 as well if I recall correctly as well.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the Chargers also had a beast o-line and defense

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you remember those because they are the exceptions. i mean, the ravens won the superbowl with an absolutely shit offense.

lostwords on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn, ESPN's Monday Night Countdown looks awful in standard definition on an HDTV.

I only get ESPNHD over the air (since we don't have an 2nd Comcast cablebox) and the over-the-air ESPNHD doesn't have sound for me.

Which is aggravating.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I'm aware they're exceptions to the rule, but I'm saying a Good Quarterback would also be an exception too. Think of the (Sigh) 01 Pats. What did we have?

One Guy who had a 70 passer rating for the year, but got shit done. I've seen flashes of that in Alex Smith, but I'm not quite sure if he's the guy. I think a guy like Kurt Warner would be a nice fit there.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    you remember those because they are the exceptions. i mean, the ravens won the superbowl with an absolutely shit offense.

BRANDON STOKELY!

also it didnt hurt how truly awful the Giants were

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Right, but a decent RB can make up for a crappy O-line.

No they cant, thats not how it works at all.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Eh...shit quarterback but I wouldn't say shit offense.

A very limited offense.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2008

BRANDON STOKELY!

also it didnt hurt how truly awful the Giants were

i loved stokely and wish he never lef.t him and heap were the best white receiving duo.

also, that season was so much fun. especially when you consider my favorite offensive guy was matt stover that whole season

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that was pre-jail time, pre-ACL injury Jamal Lewis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that was pre-jail time, pre-ACL injury Jamal Lewis

Rookie Jamal as a matter of fact.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Right, but a decent RB can make up for a crappy O-line.

No they cant, thats not how it works at all.

i would say its the other way around. a decent o-line can make up for a crappy rb. see denver. i mean, granted, some of them were decent-to-awesome, but it all comes down to their o-line

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    QBs and RBs are basically entirely dependent on having a halfway competent O-Line.

Some can makeup for poor O-line play, but good O-linemen are extremely important.

Which is why I'm glad that Ted Thompson is constantly looking for depth at that set of positions.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jamal came on strong last year.

i was actually happy jamal lewis was doing awesome last season. well, except for the browns/ravens games. i just have such fond memories of jamal lewis positively raping the browns every time they played

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jamal came on strong last year.

He'll be even better this year. Somehow our OC didn't seem to notice Joe Thomas absolutely manhandling everyone he was assigned to block during the season but I would think they got it figured out by now and Lewis will be running off tackle a lot.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I meant that a Good RB and a Crappy O-line can allow a Semi-Decent QB to flourish.

For example, The Card's O-line is particularly Spiffy, but because the Defence almost always has to watch out for Edge, regardless of the O-line, it allows say, Kurt Warner (Or Matt Lienart:Sober) to get more time then they normally would off of play-action and what have you.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I meant that a Good RB and a Crappy O-line can allow a Semi-Decent QB to flourish.

For example, The Card's O-line is particularly Spiffy, but because the Defence almost always has to watch out for Edge, regardless of the O-line, it allows say, Kurt Warner (Or Matt Lienart:Sober) to get more time then they normally would off of play-action and what have you.

Um...have you ever watched the Cardinals play a game? Edge is like the last thing a defense has to worry about. Their line sucks!

Butters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    By the way, the Raiders have signed Adam Archuleta to a contract.

Reaction: Bahaha, why?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They must have figured he played for the bears back when they were good.

Butters on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Packers : Bengals in 14 minutes!

Prepare for huge amount of boos anytime Rodgers does something wrong. Like walking on the field while not being Brett Favre.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really don't think he'll get a crowd full of boos like ESPN is predicting. From what I've read, those booing him at practice are few and far in between.

That said, if he does get booed for something like an INT I'd be really disappointed in my fellow fans.

Because it's not like we haven't been used to INTs for the past 16 years.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, holy shit look at who won't be on the field tonight

The following Packers players will not play in tonight's game:
    21 CB Charles Woodson
    25 RB Ryan Grant
    26 S Charlie Peprah
    31 CB Al Harris
    55 LB Desmond Bishop
    63 C Scott Wells
    69 T Orrin Thompson
    79 DT Ryan Pickett
    85 WR Greg Jennings
    91 DT Justin Harrell
    94 DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila
    97 DT Johnny Jolly

7 of those were starters last year. The others are 2nd string or come in on particular downs.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just want Bigby to play. Crazy ass illegal hitting, Eddie Murphy grin bastard.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So it appears I may have to miss both drafts on the 24th now because of my job. They moved our mandatory Sunday back a week because they are gigantic, unorganized douches. I'm trying to play let's make a deal with my higher ups so I can make them though.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Al Harris not playing is a good thing. Fucking most bullshit Pro Bowl pick ever.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just want Bigby to play. Crazy ass illegal hitting, Eddie Murphy grin bastard.
    I'll be fine with Bigby as long as he's not getting stupid ass penalties that bring the opposing team closer to the endzone.

Like him kicking the dead ball like 50 feet in the air after a play last year. (against the Chiefs I think)

He said he did that because he grew up playing soccer and just saw it and just instinctively kicked it. I can totally relate to this, but he did it in an NFL game when it's an obvious penalty.

He has some problems in coverage, but he can make people pay if he can line a hit up.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Al Harris not playing is a good thing. Fucking most bullshit Pro Bowl pick ever.
    Pro Bowlers are almost always picked based on their performance from the year before, unless they're a player that's doing a LOT in the first few weeks of the season and they're getting a lot of attention.

Harris has been one of the best cornerbacks in the league for several years, but he wasn't as good as Woodson last year. And Woodson got in the Probowl in 2006 when Harris outplayed him that year. This caused a lot of outcry saying Harris was shafted.

So yeah.

And Harris not playing is a bad thing. He's still a lot better than the younger guys at CB. Harris wasn't as good in coverage last year as he was in previous years, but he still throws off timing a lot and slows routes down with his bumping.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Al Harris is fantastic.

Why aren't they playing tonight, Shimster?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Al Harris is fantastic.

The Packers have been extremely beat up in Training Camp this year.

Nothing serious for any starters, but a ton of minor injuries and McCarthy is being extremely conservative with injuries in the pre season.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Al Harris is fantastic.

Because they are scared of the hurtin Ocho Cinco is going to lay down. 8-)

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I'll be fine with Bigby as long as he's not getting stupid ass penalties that bring the opposing team closer to the endzone.

Like him kicking the dead ball like 50 feet in the air after a play last year. (against the Chiefs I think)

He said he did that because he grew up playing soccer and just saw it and just instinctively kicked it. I can totally relate to this, but he did it in an NFL game when it's an obvious penalty.

He has some problems in coverage, but he can make people pay if he can line a hit up.

Agreed. He did seem to get over the stupid crazy amount of penalties near the end of the season.

And yeah, for a smaller dude, he can completely level some fools.

Also, that play where he creamed a dude, knocked the ball loose, grabbed it and ranit for a touchdown only to have it called back because someone "roughed the passer" even though he was no longer the passer but a defensive back seeing as the ball had changed sides...and ok we can se that I'm still pissed about that. The play was awesome though.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh I know which play you're talking about, I was so mad.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Pro Bowlers are almost always picked based on their performance from the year before, unless they're a player that's doing a LOT in the first few weeks of the season and they're getting a lot of attention.

Braylon Edwards, Derek Anderson, Bob Sanders, Randy Moss, Brett Favre, Adrian Peterson, and I am sure a few other poke holes into that little theory.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sanders basically saved the Colts season in 2006.

And Edwards, Anderson, Moss, Favre and Peterson all did a LOT in the first several weeks of the season and they got a lot of attention.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    someone should tell the packers fans its a preseason game

haha, sweet false start

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Al Harris is fantastic.

Except when it comes to covering receivers.

Butters on
This discussion has been closed.